Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 07:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,723 Likes on 5,121 Posts

Where is the TSB for the owners whose cars don't make the "ticking noise"?

I want my Spyder to have character, dammit.

The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (03-25-2024)
Old 09-27-2023, 01:14 AM
GTorBUST
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

ticking is not the issue. chirping/crickets is an issue
The following 2 users liked this post by GTorBUST:
momo360 (09-29-2023), SpyderSenseOC (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 02:28 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,343 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorBUST
ticking is not the issue. chirping/crickets is an issue
Amen to that.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:36 AM
GTorBUST
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

since we know the chirping is the fuel injectors, anyone try a bottle of Techron or BG44K to see if that does anything? I will try it my next tank but I dont typically use these in a new car so I figured id ask, I only have 5k miles
Old 10-01-2023, 04:46 AM
Scrounger
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 61 Posts

I've put BG in my tank twice over the last 10k miles with no issues. No ticking from injectors now either that or the 4.0 flat 6 has made me deaf!
Old 10-01-2023, 10:09 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,705 Likes on 2,105 Posts

It's not the injectors; it's the injection system....namely the high/low pressure fuel solenoids and fuel rail.

The injectors are piezo and fire up to 5 times per injection cycle -- you're not going to hear that.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:06 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hugo993
indeed there is a clicking noise, not usual on a porsche engine. I can hear it clearly in slow motion. but since this is on all 4.0 718 engines I think this is normal.
So grateful for this thread...

is this "shrill", "bird chirp" (as I just read here)... normal then?

718 Spyder. Temps around 49 degree ambient. Just got back from a spirited drive. I would say I hear this all the time, it's audible upon light throttle before other sounds drown it (but I think then it goes away).

In the video it's more audible near the end. In normal driving it's more clear when it shrills (again, low or no throttle, low speed, low rpm....).
Valves are open w valve controller (i have to check if valve setting makes any diff or not)

I'm trying to tell myself "because race car"...

edit: not the ticking, I get that's "normal" - I think lol
Old 12-09-2023, 06:06 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,225 Posts

All normal IMO. These sounds come and go on my car and I’ve talked to more than a few people who feel these engines gets smoother after 8000 km’s or so - could be just confirmation bias but I’m around that mileage and I feel the engine has less cacophony. The chirp cricket sounds come and go for me, I’m not sure if they’re temperature related or…… either way, enjoy your car and all the mechanical sounds it makes! I think you’ll know when something is not normal.
Old 12-09-2023, 06:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,343 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by isthar

718 Spyder. Temps around 49 degree ambient. Just got back from a spirited drive. I would say I hear this all the time, it's audible upon light throttle before other sounds drown it (but I think then it goes away).

https://youtube.com/shorts/_BbrExsgnA4

In the video it's more audible near the end. In normal driving it's more clear when it shrills (again, low or no throttle, low speed, low rpm....).
Valves are open w valve controller (i have to check if valve setting makes any diff or not)

I'm trying to tell myself "because race car"...

edit: not the ticking, I get that's "normal" - I think lol

Mine, and many others' do the same thing. Annoying to me. I call it the chirp. Rev to 1300 and it'll go away and stay away until about 1800 at which time it will come on instantaneously.

"We don't know what it is, but what we do know is it's normal because many cars do it and it's probably very expensive to fix."
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (03-25-2024)
Old 12-10-2023, 11:05 AM
perfe.gt4
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 18 Posts

Could you please provide some clarification? Were you intermittently applying the throttle in the initial 10 seconds? Additionally, is the noise you mentioned occurring around the 15-second mark with the throttle pedal left untouched?
Old 12-10-2023, 03:02 PM
isthar
Instructor

Originally Posted by perfe.gt4
Could you please provide some clarification? Were you intermittently applying the throttle in the initial 10 seconds? Additionally, is the noise you mentioned occurring around the 15-second mark with the throttle pedal left untouched?
Oh right, if someone thought the idling was that rough... I was indeed applying throttle to force the 'shrill' that happens at higher rpms than idle but not that much past 1k. at the end i was holding rpms where i thought it was shrilling.

I'm mostly convinced that I just accept it all!

Dare I even start asking about the loud metal clunk that I got once from the suspension on the left, on a bump on a cold morning?
Old 12-11-2023, 05:20 PM
perfe.gt4
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh right, if someone thought the idling was that rough... I was indeed applying throttle to force the 'shrill' that happens at higher rpms than idle but not that much past 1k. at the end i was holding rpms where i thought it was shrilling.

I'm mostly convinced that I just accept it all!

Dare I even start asking about the loud metal clunk that I got once from the suspension on the left, on a bump on a cold morning?
Now that you've explained it, I can't say I hear anything weird. And I played it ten times.
You can check mine (post #368) , I've got some party going on as well. :-)

Metal clunks can be heard once and a while. Always on the right side in my case. It occurs almost never when everything warms up. It seems like a spring releasing tension.
Old 12-12-2023, 05:59 PM
isthar
Instructor

aha! I've now since found about two videos on youtube and the sound I was talking about... they all have it. You can hear it in this video right at the time of this timecoded link:

right after he is done talking, before he applies throttle... that's the sound I was referring to... and now I'm really really back to thinking everything is normal and enjoying the drive
Old 12-12-2023, 06:00 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by perfe.gt4
Now that you've explained it, I can't say I hear anything weird. And I played it ten times.
You can check mine (post #368) , I've got some party going on as well. :-)

Metal clunks can be heard once and a while. Always on the right side in my case. It occurs almost never when everything warms up. It seems like a spring releasing tension.
I had the clunk as well. Only occurred when the temps were below ~50 degrees (front right). I requested for my front suspension to be checked + retorqued during my 10K Oil Change, and I haven’t heard anything since.

The only time I hear the engine clicking noise these days is after this thread is bumped back to the top by a newbie, otherwise I’ve become hearing-blind to this sound.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:34 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Yesterday I went to a PCA event and someone who previously had a Boxster 25 told me he traded it in because of the noise he heard from the engine. He refered me to Rennlist so I searched and found this thread. I was concerned since I bought a new2024 Boxster GTS 4.0 Manual in early Dec 2023 that had been manufactured in October 23. It only has 1900 miles on it now.

I never had any problem with any sounds from this car. I read this entire thread and listened to some videos to know what to listen for. I just drove my GTS again, this time with the windows open inside the garage and for the start of my drive. I did not have any problem with noises from the engine.

So if Porsche issed a bulletin in Sept 23 explaining the problem it seems that my car built in Oct 23 was acceptable to me. Just giving a data point.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise