Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 01:46 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I love my Spyder, but it has to be one of the most noisy cars I have ever owned, all manner or clicks, pops, whirring from all over the car, you never know where it is going to come from!
We might miss the cacophony of mechanical sounds one day. Maybe they’ll be a 4.0L app you can plug into your 718 GTE in the year 2035 to similar the sound of the old 4.0 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
VIDoug (06-16-2022), YTownSpyder (06-21-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:35 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
We might miss the cacophony of mechanical sounds one day. Maybe they’ll be a 4.0L app you can plug into your 718 GTE in the year 2035 to similar the sound of the old 4.0 😂
That's a future I could not care less for.

Besides they would rather have you drive a fully virtual car in a "metaverse". Knowing those ****ing mad green terrorists they will keep ****ing you over there as well - they will still have an issue with you driving a virtual ICE car...

Last edited by unclemat; 06-20-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:44 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
That's a future I could not care less for.

Besides they would rather have you drive a fully virtual car in a "metaverse". Knowing those ****ing mad green terrorists they will keep ****ing you over there as well - they will still have an issue with you driving a virtual ICE car...
You might have some anger issues LOL
The following users liked this post:
josephr25 (06-21-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
You might have some anger issues LOL
Or too much Fox News.

Seriously though, I have never really heard the engine ticking noises others are hearing, but then again I have a pretty wide-open exhaust. Even with that, I do not hear it when it at idle.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 06-20-2022 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
josephr25 (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 10:19 PM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Or too much Fox News.

Seriously though, I have never really heard the engine ticking noises others are hearing, but then again I have a pretty wide-open exhaust. Even with that, I do not hear it when it at idle.
I agree Bob. I thought maybe I wasn’t paying attention but last time out I couldn’t locate the ticking.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:29 AM
SPYDERJAILA
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by h_4711
Hey SPYDERJAILA,

Very interesting soundfile !
I think, I could easily detect and separate the annoying noise (see attached video clip).

I cut a middle section of the soundfile, converted it from stereo to mono and analyzed it. Note : all sequences are normalized, that means : volume is amplified to - 0 dB.

Result is :

There is one and only one tick / camshaft revolution, when engine's speed in this middle section was about 1700 rpm (correct ?).
Tick frequency is about 4250 Hz, what is significantly higher than the well known idle ticking.

Thus ticking is related to one and only one cylinder and needs some engines load to become audible.
Cause could be a not sufficiently screwed spark plug, but unfortunately there are some other more severe reasons not as simple to be fixed (as long as the thread in the cylinder head is not damaged).

In post #94 of

-> https://www.pff.de/thread/2807893-mo...-km/?pageNo=14

JWC has published a complete list of possible reasons for such one cylinder related ticking.

My recommandation is to consult a Porsche service asap. And please post the final cause to satisfy (not only) my curiosity.
(And again : It is definitely not the injectors !).
Hey everyone, update from the dealer.

They said they dont get enough cars to diagnose (Canada eh?) anyways the technician said it could be the valve lifters , recommends putting a few thousand KM and change oil to see how it is. He will also cross reference any other spydergt4 that comes into the dealership. Also gave him the link to this thread.

I find it weird because there was NO SOUNDS when I got the car and it drove perfect no weird noises. Only after 90KM on the odometer this annoying sound came up. For reference porsche had to recall all the 4.0 before 2022 for rod and camshaft issues that could cause engine fires. Which is why I am worried about this noise. Also, not plesant to drive a 100k plus car with this sound, many others ask me if that sound was normal. I think not. What are your opinions thoughts on this?
Old 06-23-2022, 09:47 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,705 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Originally Posted by SPYDERJAILA

For reference porsche had to recall all the 4.0 before 2022 for rod and camshaft issues that could cause engine fires. Which is why I am worried about this noise. Also, not plesant to drive a 100k plus car with this sound, many others ask me if that sound was normal. I think not. What are your opinions thoughts on this?
The bold is incorrect. The recall involved a discrete number of 4.0 cars with known VINs where the conrod didn’t meet specification. Very few made it to customers and there were no fires.

The car makes lots of clicking and clacking racket, it’s normal.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:02 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The bold is incorrect. The recall involved a discrete number of 4.0 cars with known VINs where the conrod didn’t meet specification. Very few made it to customers and there were no fires.

This...if I remember correctly, it involved some VINs with cars manufactured between Dec 2020 and February 2021.
I no longer have my 718 GT4 but the 718 made the ticking noise right off the dealer.
Next day at was at the dealer complaining...nothing ever got fixed and had to live with it.
Put about 7K miles on the car including several track days, performance was great, the same can't be said about the engine and exhaust sound.
I think this noise is part of the design of the 9A2 engine and there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:50 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 767 Likes on 378 Posts

Interesting what @Rick DeMan said in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...lerations.html

“A few years ago we chased a ticking sound for weeks in a 991 DFI engine, thought it was internal and checked every possibility.... Nothing...

Then we discovered it was the High Pressure Fuel Pump!!! Yes, that pump does exactly what you are describing and sounds like a lifter/chain/ticking/knocking.

New pump and problem solved. Has happened a few times since with other cars and we knew exactly what to look for.

Rick DeMan”

Old 06-24-2022, 06:40 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey SPYDERJAILA,

a really unsatisfying reaction of your dealer !

At least an endoscopic inspection of the combustion chambers should be expected, to exclude (or verify)

-> piston contacting a valve
-> cylinder bore scoring
-> glow ignitions in one cylinder
-> unsufficient screwed spark plug

That can be done through the spark plug bores without removal of the engine.

Moreover, I cannot understand that obviously none of the technical services did do an appropriate diagnostic of the widespread tick once per camshaft revolution to contribute the ticking to the generating components by :

-> recording the ticking synchronous with the rotational position of the camshaft (to be picked up fom the engines Hall - Sensor or from the ignition of any spark plug).
-> compare the frequency of the ticking to the natural frequencies of the different engine parts (should be known at Porsche).

This diagnostic is reliable, non invasive, done within a few minutes and doesn't need big equipment.

It is not the car that makes lots of clicking and clacking racket, it is just one or two parts of the engine - easy to determine, but could be not as easy to be fixed.

Last edited by h_4711; 06-24-2022 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:55 AM
SPYDERJAILA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Here is the reference, there were no fires yes. They recalled them before anything happened, which is great on Porsche`s end.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...spyder-recall/
Old 06-24-2022, 08:07 AM
SPYDERJAILA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by h_4711
Hey SPYDERJAILA,

a really unsatisfying reaction of your dealer !

At least an endoscopic inspection of the combustion chambers should be expected, to exclude (or verify)

-> piston contacting a valve
-> cylinder bore scoring
-> glow ignitions in one cylinder
-> unsufficient screwed spark plug

That can be done through the spark plug bores without removal of the engine.

Moreover, I cannot understand that obviously none of the technical services did do an appropriate diagnostic of the widespread tick once per camshaft revolution to contribute the ticking to the generating components by :

-> recording the ticking synchronous with the rotational position of the camshaft (to be picked up fom the engines Hall - Sensor or from the ignition of any spark plug).
-> compare the frequency of the ticking to the natural frequencies of the different engine parts (should be known at Porsche).

This diagnostic is reliable, non invasive, done within a few minutes and doesn't need big equipment.

It is not the car that makes lots of clicking and clacking racket, it is just one or two parts of the engine - easy to determine, but could be not as easy to be fixed.
Another update, the sound was gone after I gave the engine more revs, gas pedal all the way down limit to 4000 RPM. This was when the engine had 550 KM. Was finally able to enjoy the car properly which was glorious as I could finally hear the exhaust only without the loud obnoxious noises. This lasted for about 2-3 stoplights then the loud fluttering noise came back. After the long drive when I stopped the car to put the top back on, there was a lot of white smoke from the side intake vents, smelled like burning oil though didn`t seem serious as it was more of a foggy smoke not the thick hazy kind. I topped off the oil prior to driving with the Mobil 1 0w-40 the dealer provided me with. Will update again if noises stops again or gets louder.

The sound is like a metal flap scraping against another metal surface, I posted sound clips already not sure if the noise can be heard clearly but it is VERY loud, not normal for sure.

Also, dealer called me today and asked me to bring the car back in for a secondary opinion, also leave the car there for a few days to coordinate with Porsche Canada to see what is going on with this noise.

Last edited by SPYDERJAILA; 06-24-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:55 AM
alwayscruzin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPYDERJAILA
Hey h_4711 thanks for the analysis. It doesn't have this ticking sound at idle at all, it is only when the engine is in gear. When I am cruising and I disconnect the clutch the sound stops, when I engage the clutch and the revs are spinning it gets obnoxiously loud at lower RPM's. Attached another sound file, its SO LOUD.
I've been trolling the forums here (and over at 718forum) for evidence of someone else with the same kind of metallic "fluttering" as you put it (great description btw, I was struggling with how to describe it) and I created an account just to say that I too have that same flutter! Mine is not nearly as pronounced as yours (yet), but it is definitely there and clearly heard with the windows down while driving by concrete walls or anything else that's good at bouncing sound back at the car. It has only developed within the last 200 miles or so (~1100 mi total) and gives me the feeling that something is for sure not right, to the point that I've become hesitant to drive it much recently. And I'm confident it's different from the other more common ticking sound that most people claim to have (caused by the injectors/fuel pump/definitely-not-those-things-and-something-else/whatever) because I have that too and it's been there since the day I took delivery. That ticking is "normal" to me; this new fluttering is not.

Please keep us all posted about your investigations and whatnot with the dealership, I for one am very interested in what they find and have to say about it.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:19 PM
brades
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My 2019 Targa GTS was pretty loud in regards to the ticking noise but when I changed the oil to 5/50 it pretty much all went away.
I wonder if the oil is the issue? I was topping my oil up with 5w40 C40 as I couldn't find the 0w40 C40. The ticking didn't seem too bad... but I've since found 0w40 C40 and added about half a quart and the ticking is more noticeable now. I can't see a half quart of oil changing it but who knows?
Old 06-27-2022, 12:59 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by alwayscruzin
I've been trolling the forums here (and over at 718forum) for evidence of someone else with the same kind of metallic "fluttering" as you put it (great description btw, I was struggling with how to describe it) and I created an account just to say that I too have that same flutter! Mine is not nearly as pronounced as yours (yet), but it is definitely there and clearly heard with the windows down while driving by concrete walls or anything else that's good at bouncing sound back at the car. It has only developed within the last 200 miles or so (~1100 mi total) and gives me the feeling that something is for sure not right, to the point that I've become hesitant to drive it much recently. And I'm confident it's different from the other more common ticking sound that most people claim to have (caused by the injectors/fuel pump/definitely-not-those-things-and-something-else/whatever) because I have that too and it's been there since the day I took delivery. That ticking is "normal" to me; this new fluttering is not.

Please keep us all posted about your investigations and whatnot with the dealership, I for one am very interested in what they find and have to say about it.

Do you drive your car regularly, or let it sit for a few days at a time? I noticed issue on my 981 over a year ago...experienced the noise, and it then going away during drive after it sitting during the week, as I've been driving the car less and less during my ownership:

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise