Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 03:00 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I agree 100%. What I wouldn't give to make the chirping stop.
@Soul Performance possible $$ opportunity for an aftermarket solution?? Fuel pump sound insulation?
Old 07-03-2024, 05:11 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,343 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
@Soul Performance possible $$ opportunity for an aftermarket solution?? Fuel pump sound insulation?
There isn't an exhaust mod on the planet short of removing everything from the cylinder head back and throwing it in a box that could prevent me from hearing this sound now that I am dialed in on it.

But I did just install the Akrapović rear section to go along with the Akra OAP's that I've had for a while and I am curious to see if that has any deadening effect. Haven't gotten it onto the street yet.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 07-03-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 06:50 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 362 Posts

There isn't an exhaust mod on the planet short of removing everything from the cylinder head back and throwing it in a box that could prevent me from hearing this sound now that I am dialed in on it.

But I did just install the Akrapović rear section to go along with the Akra OAP's that I've had for a while and I am curious to see if that has any deadening effect. Haven't gotten it onto the street yet.
Maybe you are looking for the sound? It is natural to do that once it gets into your head. My loud aftermarket exhausts have drowned out the chirping. Another benefit to dumping the pathetic OEM exhaust. Your Akrapovic muffler will be so loud that I can't imagine to you will hear anything else.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:01 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Probably not the correct vendor to tag, but a vendor associated with sound nonetheless. Theoretically, insulation around the fuel pump will help fix this. I'd love to have a trusted vendor test some sort of sound insulation solution for thermal concerns and then gladly would pay a premium to know it's (relatively) safe.
Old 07-08-2024, 04:32 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

After sitting out several rounds of new Porsche product the last 3-4 years, I was starting to convince myself to grab a bgts 4.0 at the end here. Something that I’d consider to be one of the best all around fun/functional cars Porsche has ever made. As I was coming to this conclusion, someone sent me this thread half as a joke to wind me up and half serious. I know RL is CHALK FULL of obsessive people (me included). But is this for real? I rode in my buddies gt4 most of an entire day and never heard it. But god knows if/when I do, I’ll never STOP hearing it. I’ve read most of this thread and I don’t see a clear answer to this question and doubt there is one but I’ll ask anyway:

given the half-**** acknowledgement from Porsche somewhere 20 or so pages back, has anyone noticed any changes on ver recent delivery cars? I’ve rarely known Porsche to change something mid-model like this especially given it isn’t proven to be anything “wrong” other than an annoying sound.

i’ll get another ride in some version of a 718 4.0 non-rs to pass judgement myself, but I was curious if any very recent deliveries are the same/different in the ticking/chirping department

I am working on an otherwise perfectly running 1965 911 to remove an annoying sound. Oh, lord, all I need now is two awesome performing toys with a sound to obsess over.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 07-08-2024 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 05:36 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
After sitting out several rounds of new Porsche product the last 3-4 years, I was starting to convince myself to grab a bgts 4.0 at the end here. Something that I’d consider to be one of the best all around fun/functional cars Porsche has ever made. As I was coming to this conclusion, someone sent me this thread half as a joke to wind me up and half serious. I know RL is CHALK FULL of obsessive people (me included). But is this for real? I rode in my buddies gt4 most of an entire day and never heard it. But god knows if/when I do, I’ll never STOP hearing it. I’ve read most of this thread and I don’t see a clear answer to this question and doubt there is one but I’ll ask anyway:

given the half-**** acknowledgement from Porsche somewhere 20 or so pages back, has anyone noticed any changes on ver recent delivery cars? I’ve rarely known Porsche to change something mid-model like this especially given it isn’t proven to be anything “wrong” other than an annoying sound.

i’ll get another ride in some version of a 718 4.0 non-rs to pass judgement myself, but I was curious if any very recent deliveries are the same/different in the ticking/chirping department

I am working on an otherwise perfectly running 1965 911 to remove an annoying sound. Oh, lord, all I need now is two awesome performing toys with a sound to obsess over.
You also have THE toy which makes THE sound

It's less noticeable in a hard top due to the insulation. There are plenty of videos of 24' models making the sound, so I doubt it.

I am still convinced an aftermarket fix is possible.
Old 07-08-2024, 05:43 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

The sound of constant knocking on your door to see if you are willing to sell it no doubt.

I don't notice the sound on my GT4 except when I'm coming down my local tree-lined street -- which has a 25mph limit and no sidewalks. If I'm in second gear (manual) the sound is very obvious as one transitions back and forth between light acceleration and coasting/engine-braking.
Old 07-08-2024, 05:55 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Get it while you can, sure it ticks, sounds like a chorus of crickets sometimes, but that's better than the sound of a ****ing battery. Don't let this thread dissuade you, it would be a shame if you did. At a minimum get it, live with it, and if it drives you bananas then sell it. If you read these threads (in all forums), and took them literally, no one would ever buy a Porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
ausgang (07-09-2024), Mike981S (07-09-2024), triode (07-10-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 06:44 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 362 Posts

Personally, I think this chirping/ticking noise issue and concern over it is overblown. Yeah I could hear it more with the OEM exhuast and now with my aftermarket Kline (or the BC Fabs before that), I can't even remember sometimes that it is there. Really a nothingburger IMO.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:23 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

My hearing isn’t terrible but I do wear hearing aids because I can’t hear super high frequency that distinguishes consonants. So, in the cgt, I do take them out when I just want to hear exhaust and not all the clicky clacky mechanical noises especially with top on. I pop them back in and turn them down a bit when I want to hear all the ruckus. So I’m guessing the bgts ticking/chirping would work similarly. And I’m positive I had them turned down a bit on my drive with my buddy because windows were down and plenty of noise. Hearing loss is never an advantage with one very slim exception: when you actually want to hear less and can turn the volume up/down. I do this in cars, concerts (I wear ear plugs at concerts these days) and have been known to do this with an SUV full of teenagers in the back! No doubt I could use them like a treble eq button for the 718 4.0 chirping/clicking

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 07-08-2024 at 07:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
gymdent (07-08-2024), maschinetheist (07-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise