Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023 | 04:27 PM
JCL100
AutoX

Any update @FormulaBob? Experiencing similar issue on a European my23 gt4…..
Old 05-15-2023 | 07:47 PM
kmh0277
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCL100
Any update @FormulaBob? Experiencing similar issue on a European my23 gt4…..
Does the noise go away after the engine is warm and had been running 10-20 min?
Old 05-15-2023 | 08:41 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Original poster and commentators,

Is this the noise you are talking about?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47m7nxnsb...oY730bQHa?dl=0

This noise absolutely kills me- I despise the noise and I think it is extremely unbecoming of any expensive car let alone of a top German brand.

I hear it driving though the neighborhood, through parking lots, and at urban speed. It clunks faster and faster according to engine speed. This is NOT your usual Porsche valve tick or GT3 tin-can sound.

In my history, I have ordered 2 naturally aspirated 911s (2015 and 2016 GTS, one manual one PDK) and one naturally aspirated 2016 Spyder brand new prior to ordering this car in addition to having owned countless other cars including used Porsches (2018 GT3 Touring, etc). Never heard anything like this.

At a stoplight, this noise usually occurs but it does have a mind of its own- will go off an on- Morse code, as someone said 😂 To me it sounds like flywheel chatter (I don’t know). What do we think it is? Why is the noise a bit random?

The dealer said the Porsche engineer said the sound is normal, they couldn’t tell me what it was, and they wouldn’t help beyond that.

I don't recall having ever watched those videos prior to today. But I can tell you that my 718 Spyder makes the exact same noises at the exact same RPMs. I can hear it go away, too, at the exact same RPMs as yours. Annoying as hell. Only thing I dislike about the car. And because the dealer was able to put it side by side with a GT4 that made the same sounds, it became NORMAL. Tell me what it is and I might believe you. Until then, you're (Porsche dealers) just guessing and trying to make us go away. Shaking my head.
Old 05-15-2023 | 08:48 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I don't recall having ever watched those videos prior to today. But I can tell you that my 718 Spyder makes the exact same noises at the exact same RPMs. I can hear it go away, too, at the exact same RPMs as yours. Annoying as hell. Only thing I dislike about the car. And because the dealer was able to put it side by side with a GT4 that made the same sounds, it became NORMAL. Tell me what it is and I might believe you. Until then, you're (Porsche dealers) just guessing and trying to make us go away. Shaking my head.
Didn't we all decide (over the last how many pages of discussion) that it was the piezo fuel injectors opening and closing?
Old 05-15-2023 | 08:54 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Didn't we all decide (over the last how many pages of discussion) that it was the piezo fuel injectors opening and closing?
It’s definitely not that. They fire up to 5 times per injection cycle. First time use by Porsche.

Likely one of the solenoid high pressure pumps cycling.
Old 05-15-2023 | 08:59 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

No update on Porsche end. Car goes to dealer in two weeks for one year oil change and my request that zone rep listen with me to the noise (not confirmed). It is not getting better with time and seems to be worse when warm. As mentioned above in post #255, many other manufacturers put noise shielding around their high pressure fuel pump(s). The noise originates in the hp fuel pump, probably from a solenoid valve, and in the Porsche case is amplified by the way the hpp and fuel rail are mounted on the engine. The fact that some of our cars have minimal noise and some have significant noise points to a design and/or manufacturing problem.

I have been told that Lexus routinely replaces hp fuel pumps when owners complain about noise. So why are Porsche dealers telling us the noise is normal, and since the pumps pump the proper amount of fuel, replacement is not approved. Perhaps it is because hpp replacement appears to require engine removal from our cars and removal of the intake manifold. At current flat rates, that is a lot of labor $$ and somewhere near $1,500 in parts.

Hopefully, I can report some good news in a few weeks.

Old 05-15-2023 | 09:00 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I don't think it is the injectors because they're operating all the time that the engine is running. This noise goes away completely under certain throttle and RPM conditions. Mine is silent between 1400-1900 or so RPM. As soon as you approach 2K the noise turns on as if you flipped a switch. Not a gradual thing. Immediate.
Old 05-15-2023 | 09:03 PM
kmh0277
Rennlist Member

Does it sound like this and speed up with engine RPM?

Old 05-15-2023 | 10:40 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kmh0277
Does it sound like this and speed up with engine RPM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOCZsBIIXNA
Definitely not.
Old 05-30-2023 | 02:09 PM
JCL100
AutoX

Default .

Originally Posted by Formulabob
No update on Porsche end. Car goes to dealer in two weeks for one year oil change and my request that zone rep listen with me to the noise (not confirmed). It is not getting better with time and seems to be worse when warm. As mentioned above in post #255, many other manufacturers put noise shielding around their high pressure fuel pump(s). The noise originates in the hp fuel pump, probably from a solenoid valve, and in the Porsche case is amplified by the way the hpp and fuel rail are mounted on the engine. The fact that some of our cars have minimal noise and some have significant noise points to a design and/or manufacturing problem.

I have been told that Lexus routinely replaces hp fuel pumps when owners complain about noise. So why are Porsche dealers telling us the noise is normal, and since the pumps pump the proper amount of fuel, replacement is not approved. Perhaps it is because hpp replacement appears to require engine removal from our cars and removal of the intake manifold. At current flat rates, that is a lot of labor $$ and somewhere near $1,500 in parts.

That’s great. Look forward to hearing what they say. Really keen to get this sorted!
Old 05-30-2023 | 05:40 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCL100
That’s great. Look forward to hearing what they say. Really keen to get this sorted!
I would be thrilled to be able to do away with this sound. It really bothers me because I cannot stop listening for it. And if some cars don't do it (as has been reported), we all deserve the same thing. A fix. But I will admit that I hear a lot of engines making the same sound, including several 911's, so it's likely not a 4.0L thing but something common to more powerplants.
Old 05-30-2023 | 06:03 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I would be thrilled to be able to do away with this sound. It really bothers me because I cannot stop listening for it. And if some cars don't do it (as has been reported), we all deserve the same thing. A fix. But I will admit that I hear a lot of engines making the same sound, including several 911's, so it's likely not a 4.0L thing but something common to more powerplants.

All the 991.2 turbo engines that replaced the 9A1 N/A engine of the 991.1 and then used again on the 992 make the same noise...it's the same Engine sans turbos and bored to 4.0L on the 982 9A2 Evo engine
I had a 718 GT4 and I totally understand you...I also hated the noise and I immediately complained when the car was delivered as it sounded awful, not to mention a really bad exhaust note.
At the end the dealer couldn't do anything and that it was a normal noise. I have several friends with GT4s and Spyders and they all make the noise.
I associate that ticking noise with an engine needing a short block rebuild......I now have a GT4RS. They are noisy too but not the same noise and you can actually live with it.
Old 06-16-2023 | 01:38 PM
JCL100
AutoX

Hi formulabob. Did you get any good news in the end or still no solutions?
Old 06-16-2023 | 04:34 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Car is at dealer now. I am not expecting any resolution, just another TADTS (they all do that sir). BTW, I have seen a new Spyder on which the bothersome noise was almost imperceptible at a KK two months ago. It is too bad that the fuel pumps are not accessible to allow taking a vibration measurement/signal on the pumps and fuel rails and comparing to the noise we hear. Of course, Porsche engineers should have done that already.

Will update whenever I get the car back. If no resolution and no face-to-face with zone rep then will open a case with PCNA. If case doesn’t yield a positive outcome, then a letter to the top of the Porsche house. If that doesn’t work, next step is TBD.
Old 06-16-2023 | 04:37 PM
JCL100
AutoX

Car is at dealer now. I am not expecting any resolution, just another TADTS (they all do that sir). BTW, I have seen a new Spyder on which the bothersome noise was almost imperceptible at a KK two months ago. It is too bad that the fuel pumps are not accessible to allow taking a vibration measurement/signal on the pumps and fuel rails and comparing to the noise we hear. Of course, Porsche engineers should have done that already.

Will update whenever I get the car back. If no resolution and no face-to-face with zone rep then will open a case with PCNA. If case doesn’t yield a positive outcome, then a letter to the top of the Porsche house. If that doesn’t work, next step is TBD.
thanks Bob. Mine is booked in next month but not expecting to get much other than the normal “it’s normal”. Frustrating!!

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise