Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 09:27 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
My car has the Softronic tune.
Oh, time to contact Scott and see if he can fix it.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:47 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Oh, time to contact Scott and see if he can fix it.
I did and he told me to replace the OEM headers which I was not about to do. I'll hit him up again.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:23 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
I had the same problem with the same set up as yours. Spacers will work, but I decided to take care of this via Tuning. Gives a bit more power and enhanced drivability, as well as, removing the annoying CEL pop up.
Originally Posted by dnimi123
Yes, but it goes away after ahwile.
Originally Posted by MaddMike
So I have the full Kline inconel system including headers with 200 cel cats. Twice now I have gotten a CEL stating that emissions exceeded threshold or something to that effect. Easily cleared with a $50 handheld from Amazon. However, it is a PITA and I don't like random CELs popping up.

Anyone experience this with the catted headers? Is there a spacer or other such trick to avoid CELs?

Guys I spoke to Kline about your CEL and there may be a solution. Feel free to email me at eric@supremepower.com

Hi Eric,

We supply all exhausts with lambda extender and microcats built in. We may have had a batch of less than good microcats though recently. WeI have a new batch arriving next week with double the platinum loading, so it should take care of these cat errors.
We can send a new set of microcats if you like, or a tune will also take care of the error.

Best regards,
Rares

Sales - Kline Innovation

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

The following users liked this post:
K-Nut (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:44 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 199 Posts

For those who have had the Kline OAPs and rear section for a while, when did you start hearing pops / bangs / more sound on overrun?

Was that right from the time of install? Or did that sort of develop over time?

I am getting a very small taste of that, and would like some more - hoping it develops as the exhaust "wears in" but wanted to see what others have experienced.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:53 PM
K-Nut
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SupremePower
Guys I spoke to Kline about your CEL and there may be a solution. Feel free to email me at eric@supremepower.com

Hi Eric,

We supply all exhausts with lambda extender and microcats built in. We may have had a batch of less than good microcats though recently. WeI have a new batch arriving next week with double the platinum loading, so it should take care of these cat errors.
We can send a new set of microcats if you like, or a tune will also take care of the error.

Best regards,
Rares

Sales - Kline Innovation
i have Kline with 200 cell on my 991.2 CarreraT , 718 Spyder and 992 GT3 , never have check engine light , may just lucky 🙏
SupremePower (11-28-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 01:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
For those who have had the Kline OAPs and rear section for a while, when did you start hearing pops / bangs / more sound on overrun?

Was that right from the time of install? Or did that sort of develop over time?

I am getting a very small taste of that, and would like some more - hoping it develops as the exhaust "wears in" but wanted to see what others have experienced.

I noticed it right away and I can't say that it has increased with time, at least not to my ears.

What I do notice is that when you have the valved closed (with a controller), the lower end feels a little restricted and you need a bit more throttle for the same result. When the valves are locked open, you can definitely tell it breathes better and has a better throttle response.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:22 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I noticed it right away and I can't say that it has increased with time, at least not to my ears.

What I do notice is that when you have the valved closed (with a controller), the lower end feels a little restricted and you need a bit more throttle for the same result. When the valves are locked open, you can definitely tell it breathes better and has a better throttle response.
Interesting - there's a video of a bright orange GT4 on this thread, and he gets awesome little pops and bangs in all sorts of different throttle / shifting applications. That was one of the things I really wanted out of this system, and in the first ~125 miles, I am getting less than I would like.

It's a little strange with mine so far, based upon your feedback - the pops and bangs don't happen on a consistent basis, and I am wondering why?

I was hoping for more theatre on hard downshifts, and I am not getting that at all - like when you are decelerating quickly towards a stop sign. Downshifting in that scenario produces more engine noise, but not much on the exhaust front.
LoodorneGT4 (11-28-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 02:44 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

Do you have a valve controller or the valves locked open all the time some other way? With the valves open, I get a lot more of the theater you are describing.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:46 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Do you have a valve controller or the valves locked open all the time some other way? With the valves open, I get a lot more of the theater you are describing.
No valve controller - I have the valves locked open and the vacuum lines plugged.

The hope was "all on, all the time" if that makes sense....
Jeff Jones (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 03:11 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Interesting - there's a video of a bright orange GT4 on this thread, and he gets awesome little pops and bangs in all sorts of different throttle / shifting applications. That was one of the things I really wanted out of this system, and in the first ~125 miles, I am getting less than I would like.

It's a little strange with mine so far, based upon your feedback - the pops and bangs don't happen on a consistent basis, and I am wondering why?

I was hoping for more theatre on hard downshifts, and I am not getting that at all - like when you are decelerating quickly towards a stop sign. Downshifting in that scenario produces more engine noise, but not much on the exhaust front.

While it doesn't have a 600LT type pops/crackles, it does have a decent amount. On high RPM decel, there are some pops/crackles, but mostly much more exhausts volume sounds. I am very happy with the decel sounds.

This is very subjective, but I am really not a fan of too much pops/crackes as it starts to sound fake and manufactured and gets annoying.
6IXSPD (11-28-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 04:15 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Originally Posted by TRZ06
While it doesn't have a 600LT type pops/crackles, it does have a decent amount. On high RPM decel, there are some pops/crackles, but mostly much more exhausts volume sounds. I am very happy with the decel sounds.

This is very subjective, but I am really not a fan of too much pops/crackes as it starts to sound fake and manufactured and gets annoying.
Definitely subjective - and here's a Wedding Singer reference to better explain what I mean - I am looking for church tongue, not **** tongue.

I don't want anything overdone or over manufactured either, but it would be nice to hear something. Like I said, the orange GT4 video was just about perfect, but mine doesn't sound that way.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:33 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Definitely subjective - and here's a Wedding Singer reference to better explain what I mean - I am looking for church tongue, not **** tongue.

I don't want anything overdone or over manufactured either, but it would be nice to hear something. Like I said, the orange GT4 video was just about perfect, but mine doesn't sound that way.

It might from the outside. I know which video you are talking about, as I have watched all his Kline videos a ton of times before I got mine. He only has one in cabin video and to me, it sounded like nothing, which we all know that isn't the case. All the exterior video sounds awesome and I am sure our cars sound the same.

You can't compare what you hear outside and take it as 1:1 to how it will sound in cabin.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:28 AM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

@dmboone25 Inconel or SS, That orange sound is Inconel and it has a little higher pitch.

Last edited by LoodorneGT4; 11-28-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:36 AM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 165 Posts

No valve controller - I have the valves locked open and the vacuum lines plugged.

The hope was "all on, all the time" if that makes sense....
I have the cargraphics valve controller and leave it open most of the time. It pops and bangs pretty much all the time when I have the valves open.
LoodorneGT4 (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 12:44 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,499 Likes on 2,253 Posts

So I got my stainless system installed today and was bested by one torx bolt. Otherwise, as a total noob, I think I did pretty well. It is gratifying, and nice to have an analog activity once in a while. I did one test drive, and I think the general reporting on the system is fair and accurate - Kline cracked the nut on this and has it figured out. The resonance is in check, and the tone is killer. I’ll report more later and do a couple videos - valve controller is on deck. I appreciate the tone valves closed and open, and will use both regularly.

I’m happy.

Thanks to @SupremePower , @Westcoast and @Jeff Jones

The following 7 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Der Tgr (11-29-2022), dmboone25 (11-28-2022), Jeff Jones (11-28-2022), K-Nut (11-28-2022), LoodorneGT4 (11-28-2022), SupremePower (11-28-2022), Westcoast (11-28-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust