Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 09:47 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 505 Posts

Any reason why I should buy Inconel Headers over SS, when I have the Inconel OAP/Rear…; or is this a good time to save $$$ on SS?
Found a Cyber Monday Deal on the SS with a shipped cost @ $2972.68

PROS for Headers: increased HP
PROS/CONS: Apparently these only add a little more volume.

Anything else that Im missing?

Last edited by BoxKing; 11-27-2023 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:48 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 688 Posts

Probably OK with SS. Thats a good price... And the added volume is mostly in the lower rev range. With the headers you can also add an ECU tune and get another 20plus HP
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 09:55 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,503 Likes on 834 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LooseNut
Quick summary: Very happy with the result. Has drone similar to OEM.

Reason for new exhaust: I was looking for improved quality of sound more than just being louder. In my opinion the 982 4.0 with OPF has a flat tone. With PSE valves open, basically, only 3 cylinders are heard from each tail pipe which isn’t that good sounding. I love thepreviousgeneration 3.8- & 4.0-liter NA exhaust sound. Going forward I wanted to remove the OPFs and have all 6-cylinder pulses coming out of both tailpipes, with PSE valves open or closed.

Why I chose Kline:
BC Fab, JCR, Soul and Kline all seem to meet my criteria of combining exhaust pulses from both banks of the engine. They all look to have high quality construction also.
I prefer the straight through, valve open path, of the Kline over axle pipes. In addition, the Kline valves closed path has extra absorption in the OAPs. (Because Kline switches the valve open path to be on top, you do have to buy the OAPs and muffler together.)
As a bonus the Kline system cost less than the other brands when combining OAPs & muffler.
Reportedly SS is slightly quieter than Inconel and is less expensive, both of which are OK for me.
After listening to and watching a ridiculous number of videos online, and reading this entire thread, I decided on a stainless-steel Kline system.
Well, best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men. An Inconel system came available at a price I could not pass up.

I want to thank Eric from Supreme Power for answering my questions and supporting the community.

Car configuration:

2021 Cayman GT4 with PDK. Kline Inconel exhaust with Inconel button valve controller.

3250 miles driven with OEM exhaust and 4700 miles with Kline exhaust. (7950 total miles as of Nov19, 2023)

My impressions:
Start up there is a definite crackle that settles down nicely to idle. Valves open or closed it is louder than OEM from outside the car but not annoying.
Driving around town, from inside the car the sound does not seem louder than OEM but has an improved tone. The improved sound quality is more noticeable with the valves open.
Higher RPM, valves open or closed, is louder but again, the valves open sound is much improved. High RPM up shifts do bark a bit.
With the valves forced open and in PDK sport mode, during hard decel, the exhaust surprised me the first few times. Now I just giggle. This is not a bad thing but may draw attention.
I like having the exhaust valves because with them closed you can use a majority of the RPM without bringing attention to yourself.
Valves open during spirited driving does have an exotic howl fitting for a GT car.
Drone is noticeable from about 2200 to 3k RPM when the windows are closed and cruising or very light acceleration. The OEM exhaust had the same drone for me. With the windows open I don’t notice any drone at all. I did a long road trip with the OEM exhaust and my ears were tired of the drone after two days. Highway speeds with cruise control on puts you in the drone range. I’m not complaining and did not buy this car as a highway cruiser. I am just trying to give as much info as possible for any potential buyers. Downshifting a gear or adjusting your speed is another way to avoid the drone.

Improvement opportunities: (AKA problems)

One OEM exhaust tip needed a shim to the Kline pipe to tighten it.

The Kline exhaust valve shafts touched the OEM heat shields. A little messaging of the heat shield fixed this.

(I was aware of both these items from reading this thread before I decided to buy.)

Would do different: Add heat shields to the over axle pipes. Although the car may be fine without them there is no downside besides cost. The rear brake hoses and struts are close to the OAPs and heat aging is cumulative.

Opportunity: If someone would like an Inconel system for the price of stainless-steel send me a PM. I would trade / sell my Inconel system for a stainless-steel system with heat shield on the OAPs.
LooseNut,

Sir, I APPLAUD you for your Down-to-Earth (Excellent) review.

It seems few people are not willing to take the time that it takes to do a Full-Blown-Review as you have provided to this community.

Terry Honaker
USA
The following users liked this post:
LooseNut (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 05:17 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Probably OK with SS. Thats a good price... And the added volume is mostly in the lower rev range. With the headers you can also add an ECU tune and get another 20plus HP
After a brief discussion with Eric, SS ended up being my choice. Pricing was slightly different than I originally listed, bc I chose to continue to support @SupremePower

I’ll officially become a full KLINE system owner within the next few months! Gotta debate if I want to tackle this install on my own, or get a local Indy to do it…
Now to start researching which tune I should get after the headers are installed.
The following 2 users liked this post by BoxKing:
dnimi123 (11-28-2023), UncleDude (11-28-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 06:14 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
[
I've mentioned the 2-2.5k drone before, I'd like to add some comments about it now that i have well over 1k miles on my collar modded exhaust:

- More noticeable with top down, but with top up, at highway speeds, the drone is in the realm of not noticable over wind/tire noise.
- In general, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a standard OEM exhaust with no drone vs a 10 being the droniest aftermarket exhaust you've ever sat in, this is a 2.5 on that scale. I imagine with the valves closed this will go to a 1.
- It is purely sound; no vibrations or anything, and it's not super unpleasant compared to other droney aftermarket exhausts.

It is worth mentioning, but not much more. If you are extremely sensitive to drone to the point of this being a dealbreaker, you probably shouldn't be looking at an aftermarket solution as you have to expect something. It's very livable! Hope this helps.
Thanks. I am going to try the BC Fabs valved exhaust first with the OEM OPF link pipes and go from there. Supposed to be louder with a deep tone and no drone.

Last edited by subwoofer; 11-29-2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:52 PM
macrs
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

After researching this myself, I'm looking at OAP pipes with a resonator myself, possibly using Kline or Soul's Resonated pipe.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:56 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Originally Posted by macrs
After researching this myself, I'm looking at OAP pipes with a resonator myself, possibly using Kline or Soul's Resonated pipe.
You have more research to do if you think you can use the Kline as an OAP only.
The following 4 users liked this post by UncleDude:
BoxKing (11-30-2023), flynlo (12-03-2023), LooseNut (11-30-2023), mc3456 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:59 PM
macrs
Intermediate

Is Kline's OAP pipes not compatible with the stock box?
Old 11-30-2023, 05:01 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Thanks. I am going to try the BC Fabs valved exhaust first with the OEM OPF link pipes and go from there. Supposed to be louder with a deep tone and no drone.
Looks like a nice product, but you may want to also consider re-sale value of BC Fabs vs Kline. I may be wrong but suspect Kline may have more potential secondary market buyers. There are much finer watches than a Rolex, but Rolex still tends to hold their value much better than other brands with names that don't begin with the letter "P".
Old 11-30-2023, 05:01 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 275 Posts

Is Kline's OAP pipes not compatible with the stock box?
Kline OAPs only mate to Kline exhausts.

Last edited by mc3456; 12-03-2023 at 10:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mc3456:
LooseNut (11-30-2023), SupremePower (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 05:04 PM
macrs
Intermediate

Got it. Thanks for the insight!
Old 11-30-2023, 05:13 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Got it. Thanks for the insight!
Designing the two pieces together (Kline) is why it is the perfect system for this platform, for those who want an overall great exhaust (i.e. not just loud etc.)
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
macrs (11-30-2023), SupremePower (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 05:32 PM
Lopoza
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseNut
Quick summary: Very happy with the result. Has drone similar to OEM.

Reason for new exhaust: I was looking for improved quality of sound more than just being louder. In my opinion the 982 4.0 with OPF has a flat tone. With PSE valves open, basically, only 3 cylinders are heard from each tail pipe which isn’t that good sounding. I love thepreviousgeneration 3.8- & 4.0-liter NA exhaust sound. Going forward I wanted to remove the OPFs and have all 6-cylinder pulses coming out of both tailpipes, with PSE valves open or closed.

Why I chose Kline:
BC Fab, JCR, Soul and Kline all seem to meet my criteria of combining exhaust pulses from both banks of the engine. They all look to have high quality construction also.
I prefer the straight through, valve open path, of the Kline over axle pipes. In addition, the Kline valves closed path has extra absorption in the OAPs. (Because Kline switches the valve open path to be on top, you do have to buy the OAPs and muffler together.)
As a bonus the Kline system cost less than the other brands when combining OAPs & muffler.
Reportedly SS is slightly quieter than Inconel and is less expensive, both of which are OK for me.
After listening to and watching a ridiculous number of videos online, and reading this entire thread, I decided on a stainless-steel Kline system.
Well, best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men. An Inconel system came available at a price I could not pass up.

I want to thank Eric from Supreme Power for answering my questions and supporting the community.

Car configuration:

2021 Cayman GT4 with PDK. Kline Inconel exhaust with Inconel button valve controller.

3250 miles driven with OEM exhaust and 4700 miles with Kline exhaust. (7950 total miles as of Nov19, 2023)

My impressions:
Start up there is a definite crackle that settles down nicely to idle. Valves open or closed it is louder than OEM from outside the car but not annoying.
Driving around town, from inside the car the sound does not seem louder than OEM but has an improved tone. The improved sound quality is more noticeable with the valves open.
Higher RPM, valves open or closed, is louder but again, the valves open sound is much improved. High RPM up shifts do bark a bit.
With the valves forced open and in PDK sport mode, during hard decel, the exhaust surprised me the first few times. Now I just giggle. This is not a bad thing but may draw attention.
I like having the exhaust valves because with them closed you can use a majority of the RPM without bringing attention to yourself.
Valves open during spirited driving does have an exotic howl fitting for a GT car.
Drone is noticeable from about 2200 to 3k RPM when the windows are closed and cruising or very light acceleration. The OEM exhaust had the same drone for me. With the windows open I don’t notice any drone at all. I did a long road trip with the OEM exhaust and my ears were tired of the drone after two days. Are you looking to boost your vehicle's performance? Look no further than our electric exhaust cutout! At spelabautoparts , we offer top-of-the-line solutions to upgrade your exhaust system. Our catback cutout valve allows you to control the flow of exhaust gases, optimizing power and efficiency. Don't miss out on the chance to take your driving experience to the next level. Click the link to explore more and make your purchase today! Highway speeds with cruise control on puts you in the drone range. I’m not complaining and did not buy this car as a highway cruiser. I am just trying to give as much info as possible for any potential buyers. Downshifting a gear or adjusting your speed is another way to avoid the drone.

Improvement opportunities: (AKA problems)

One OEM exhaust tip needed a shim to the Kline pipe to tighten it.

The Kline exhaust valve shafts touched the OEM heat shields. A little messaging of the heat shield fixed this.

(I was aware of both these items from reading this thread before I decided to buy.)

Would do different: Add heat shields to the over axle pipes. Although the car may be fine without them there is no downside besides cost. The rear brake hoses and struts are close to the OAPs and heat aging is cumulative.

Opportunity: If someone would like an Inconel system for the price of stainless-steel send me a PM. I would trade / sell my Inconel system for a stainless-steel system with heat shield on the OAPs.
I agree with a lot of things, but I wish the valves were included in the kit too, I had to look for a long time afterwards.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:33 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Looks like a nice product, but you may want to also consider re-sale value of BC Fabs vs Kline. I may be wrong but suspect Kline may have more potential secondary market buyers. There are much finer watches than a Rolex, but Rolex still tends to hold their value much better than other brands with names that don't begin with the letter "P".
Thanks. If you check out the thread 'X pipe with zero drone', the quality of the BC Fabs exhaust, as reported by folks who have it, is extremely good. Comparable to Akra, JCR etc.. I found that thread to be very informative and based my decision on that as well as another earlier thread by Plife with his Spyder. Moreover, I only wanted the back box and did want to change the OPF link pipes so Kline is not my first choice. I paid 4k for the BC Fabs in stainless steel. Not cheap. The Inconel was about 6.4k but I didn't want to pay that much. Kline is my second choice if the BC Fabs is unsatisfactory to my ears which of course would mean buying the OAPs and the muffler together.

If you are interested here are the links for the BC Fabs valved exhaust:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ero-drone.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ved-in-us.html

Last edited by subwoofer; 11-30-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:09 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,420 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoza
I agree with a lot of things, but I wish the valves were included in the kit too, I had to look for a long time afterwards.
anyone who wants to buy the valves separately we would be happy to supply them with the kit just add extra cost for no reason. But if you ever need to order again, just let us know and we can sell you brand new valves with the exhaust. Sorry for the trouble just trying to save everybody a few bucks.

Originally Posted by AnandN
Thanks
in case you didn’t notice, this is the Kline thread, the number one selling exhaust for this platform maybe you should go start another thread for BC fab.

Last edited by SupremePower; 11-30-2023 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Kline 718 GT4/Spyder exhaust