Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cargraphic valve control unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 12:20 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I still have some more reading and research to do, but just to confirm my questions...Is this just for the PSE valves, or are there other valves that are in operation independently from the PSE (if one were to swap exhausts).
Pardon my ignorance on this thread, I'm all for some extra noise and grunt! I saw someone earlier mention replacing the OAP pipes and exhaust and not needing CG (I think it was metalone).
There are dozens of opinions and configurations for the exhaust on the 718 4.0l, so there is no definitive position on the need or lack thereof when it comes to controlling the PSE valves which the Cargraphic valve controller is designed to do... You have to decide if you want/need the extra level of control that the CG unit provides, there people on both sides of this story.

IMHO, I would not want to be without the extra control this unit provides, the flexibility to have the exhaust note just the way I want it, when I want, it is the value it brings. YMMV!
The following 4 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Alpha Ice (03-17-2021), argyleCali (03-17-2021), dnimi123 (03-17-2021), n4v4nod (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
There are dozens of opinions and configurations for the exhaust on the 718 4.0l, so there is no definitive position on the need or lack thereof when it comes to controlling the PSE valves which the Cargraphic valve controller is designed to do... You have to decide if you want/need the extra level of control that the CG unit provides, there people on both sides of this story.

IMHO, I would not want to be without the extra control this unit provides, the flexibility to have the exhaust note just the way I want it, when I want, it is the value it brings. YMMV!
Awesome, thank you! I too would like the extra control and I can see a lot of environmental changes deciding when and how I'd like to have the valves controlled as well. I just wanted to make sure that if I installed a JCR and Akra pipes for instance if the CG Valves would still be a need, or if they would be negated (I believe this to be a moot point then).
Old 03-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Awesome, thank you! I too would like the extra control and I can see a lot of environmental changes deciding when and how I'd like to have the valves controlled as well. I just wanted to make sure that if I installed a JCR and Akra pipes for instance if the CG Valves would still be a need, or if they would be negated (I believe this to be a moot point then).
Well, just my opinion, but as chance has it I have the CG valve controller connected with Akra link-pipes and a JCR Silenced Valved Race Pipe, this is the basis for my comment above...

If you want to read more on this configuration here is a good thread with comments by many including me: JCR exhaust arrived - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (03-18-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:13 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 277 Posts

Apologize in advanced if this has been addressed in this thread but...

if you press the “lock” button on the controller, that returns the function of the valves to the car? So valves will open and close as the car wishes?
(This is for the 2-mode controller unit)

thanks

Last edited by neurotic; 03-26-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:52 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neurotic

if you press the “lock” button on the controller, that returns the function of the valves to the car? So valves will open and close as the car wishes?

thanks

Interesting, my remote doesn't look like that, see post #114 above: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17170144
Old 03-26-2021, 12:19 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,406 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic

thanks
Carraphic valve control units save and restore the last mode when the vehicle is started.

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 03-29-2021, 10:28 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
Anyway it would be very usefull just to try to replicate this sequence at IDLE and comment if it behaved differently (you can hear the valve mechanism acting in the video)
vid
Just in case someone face this same issue, Cargraphic gave me a procedure to set the correct start mode of the valve control unit as it might get misadjusted.
Sadly I couldn't try it because I no longer have it, but here is anyway:
  1. Start the engine
  2. Switch off PSE button – PSE LED off (valves closed)
  3. Press button “1” on the remote control at least 5 times in succession until the valves start to open and close by themselves several times.
If you don't have any issues better don't try this, and if you have doubts contact Cargraphic directly for support
Old 03-30-2021, 08:49 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

After a few months of hibernation I'm about to get my GT4 out of storage. One of the first thing I'll do is install my valve controller. I've found a few videos showing how to access the engine bay on the Spyder but are there any videos out there for the GT4?

I did see dnimi123's post some time ago with a few pictures which will be helpful.
dnimi123 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 PM
jacksot
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
After a few months of hibernation I'm about to get my GT4 out of storage. One of the first thing I'll do is install my valve controller. I've found a few videos showing how to access the engine bay on the Spyder but are there any videos out there for the GT4?

I did see dnimi123's post some time ago with a few pictures which will be helpful.
Follow this thread, the linked thread within it and watch this YouTube video and you will be good to go. Just take your time with the trim pieces. Also make sure you have a T30 Allen key (in addition to the other required tools) as two engine cover bolts are in a position that makes them impossible to get with a screwdriver.

Last edited by jacksot; 03-30-2021 at 09:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jacksot:
dnimi123 (03-31-2021), RyuBraska (04-04-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 01:13 AM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 136 Posts

I also just installed the Cargraphic valve controller and this thread was very helpful. Thanks.
Connecting the plug was the biggest pita for me too. I think it really depends on how big your hands are because the space is tight.
Even with removing some of the vacuum lines it took me a while to figure out how to best get to it.

The one suggestion I would add is to sharpie the location of the engine cover screws before you take them off.
They seemed to be torqued pretty specifically and that will make it easy to get them exact again when you close it up.

The controller works great. I was ok with the valves always open but this is a great option to easily revert the car back to stock valve operation when needed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyder718:
argyleCali (04-30-2021), slilley (03-06-2022), UncleDude (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder718
I also just installed the Cargraphic valve controller and this thread was very helpful. Thanks.
Connecting the plug was the biggest pita for me too. I think it really depends on how big your hands are because the space is tight.
Even with removing some of the vacuum lines it took me a while to figure out how to best get to it.

The one suggestion I would add is to sharpie the location of the engine cover screws before you take them off.
They seemed to be torqued pretty specifically and that will make it easy to get them exact again when you close it up.

The controller works great. I was ok with the valves always open but this is a great option to easily revert the car back to stock valve operation when needed.
I read this a couple of times, still not sure what you are getting at regarding the cover... all bolts get tightened to the same spec.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I read this a couple of times, still not sure what you are getting at regarding the cover... all bolts get tightened to the same spec.
Take a sharpie, mark the bolt and cover. Then when you screw the bolt back in you know where it needs to be tightened to by aligning the sharpie markings.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder718
Take a sharpie, mark the bolt and cover. Then when you screw the bolt back in you know where it needs to be tightened to by aligning the sharpie markings.
Ahhh, I see what you are thinking, using a torque wrench would be preferred, additionally I don’t see these as critical fasteners but getting them close to spec would be good!
Spyder718 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 07:45 PM
H8 Rain
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Got my Cargraphic valve controller installed today. Works as advertised and exactly as I wanted it to. I am now going to attempt to program 2 of the homelink buttons to duplicate the functions of the remote that came with the unit. I didn't see any other posts regarding someone doing this for Cargraphic....but I sure it's been tried. Anyone know?
Old 04-30-2021, 07:47 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by H8 Rain
Got my Cargraphic valve controller installed today. Works as advertised and exactly as I wanted it to. I am now going to attempt to program 2 of the homelink buttons to duplicate the functions of the remote that came with the unit. I didn't see any other posts regarding someone doing this for Cargraphic....but I sure it's been tried. Anyone know?
I did mine and works perfectly. Pairing process iirc was the same as for any other remote being paired.
H8 Rain (04-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Cargraphic valve control unit