Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cargraphic valve control unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021 | 10:48 AM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Yes retains settings, and Yes can be programmed to Homelink buttons
Thank You

When using the wireless transponder to connect to the Home-Link above the rear view mirror...

Since I desire to purchase the (3) mode model (Sport, Comfort, Automatic), will one button work to advance thorough all (3) setting? Or, must I use all (3) Home-Link buttons "each individually 1-2-3" for each of the (3) modes? So that there are no remaining buttons to program my garage doors?

Or does the Home-Link work just like the (included transponder) and utilize only (1) needed button, on my Home-Link system?

Last edited by Paulywanacracker; 09-12-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2021 | 09:41 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paulywanacracker
Thank You

When using the wireless transponder to connect to the Home-Link above the rear view mirror...

Since I desire to purchase the (3) mode model (Sport, Comfort, Automatic), will one button work to advance thorough all (3) setting? Or, must I use all (3) Home-Link buttons "each individually 1-2-3" for each of the (3) modes? So that there are no remaining buttons to program my garage doors?

Or does the Home-Link work just like the (included transponder) and utilize only (1) needed button, on my Home-Link system?

Here is what I have recently learned should it help others...

The benefit of the 3 mode system (Part No. EXFLAPRCPO13) is as follows per the Cargraphic website:
  • SPORT mode: valves always open
  • COMFORT mode: valves always closed
  • AUTOMATIC mode: factory control is reactivated
Hence, the valves can remain in the closed position for 100% of the time, (best noise reduction), whereas, in Factory Automatic mode, they are 1st open upon start, then closed between 1-5k rpm, and do not open until approximately after 5k rpm.

This is a European sound regulation that gets imposed upon other countries by cost prohibitive default. Also, used in Canada, for low noise race tracks, with overheating caution as a concern.

The 2 button unit (Part No. EXFLAPRCPO1) only has two modes....

- SPORT mode: valves always open
- AUTOMATIC mode: factory control is active

Obviously, The 2 mode unit has (2 buttons) and the 3 mode has (three buttons). Not always obvious from the website and minimal directions.

Programing can be placed anywhere on the Porsche HomeLink (3) button upper console. In the order of the (3) modes a driver so chooses to program.

Example:

HL#1=Sport Always Open (Stays in memory until changed to another mode)
HL#2=Comfort Always Closed (Stays in memory until changed to another mode)
HL#3=Garage Door Opener or programed to Revert to Factory mode (Stays in memory until changed to another mode)

Any can be mixed and programed in any order of the three, but are constant on the (2 or 3 button) supplied remote.

As far as I know the above statements are correct sir.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (09-14-2021)
Old 09-28-2021 | 03:46 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Can anyone with the 3-way Valve Controller confirm the result of the following scenario please? If you have the VC in Comfort mode, where it holds the valves shut, and then you shut the car off, upon restart what is the valve setting? Does it hold vacuum and keep the valves closed upon start up? I read that the setting in the VC should stay on comfort, but the question is if the Vacuum bleeds away and the valve still starts in the open position at startup. If I missed this answer along the way of the 15 pages of this thread I apologize.

Last edited by Josh_357; 09-28-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2021 | 10:23 AM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Default HMMMMM. Take this with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Josh_357
Can anyone with the 3-way Valve Controller confirm the result of the following scenario please? If you have the VC in Comfort mode, where it holds the valves shut, and then you shut the car off, upon restart what is the valve setting? Does it hold vacuum and keep the valves closed upon start up? I read that the setting in the VC should stay on comfort, but the question is if the Vacuum bleeds away and the valve still starts in the open position at startup. If I missed this answer along the way of the 15 pages of this thread I apologize.
HMMMMM. Take this with a grain of salt. I could be wrong...

I think this is a very good question. Since I am waiting on an allocation and don't have a car, as I too am evaluating this system against other systems, I can only conjecture. But here are my thoughts...

What I DON'T LIKE about the Cargraphic module system is expense. What I DO LIKE about the system is that it does not interfere with the car's vacuum system with the addition of any new valves or solenoids; by only overriding the car's computer which controls the existing vacuum system. Hence, the moment the electrical system is started, the Cargraphic's "electrical memory" is reactivated to the previously saved memory. I believe that the valves work like a magnetic solenoid; wherein, it quickly prevents the air from transferring to the exhaust valves - immediately; at the moment the engine cycles compression, only a minimal vacuum will be necessary to retain the valve position.

I'm likely totally wrong, so take my advice with a many gains of salt.

Last edited by Paulywanacracker; 09-29-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2021 | 10:56 AM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

I have the unit, but if I did it again I would simply plug the vacuum lines because I haven't closed the valves since it was installed (other than to initially test it). Sounds great, no drone.
Paulywanacracker (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021 | 11:34 AM
Josh_357
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulywanacracker

What I DON'T LIKE about the Cargraphic module system is expense. What I DO LIKE about the system is that it does not interfere with the car's vacuum system with the addition of any new valves or solenoids; by only overriding the car's computer which controls the existing vacuum system. Hence, the moment the electrical system is started, the Cargraphic's "electrical memory" is reactivated to the previously saved memory. I believe that the valves work like a magnetic solenoid; wherein, it quickly prevents the air from transferring to the exhaust valves - immediately; at the moment the engine cycles compression, only a minimal vacuum will be necessary to retain the valve position.

I'm likely totally wrong, so take my advice with a many gains of salt.
The more I think about it, even with the 3-way in comfort mode, the exhaust valves will be open momentarily at start up. Will they close sooner with the CG VC in comfort mode than they would with standard PSE programming, not sure? If I could start the car with the valves closed on early mornings I would fork out for the extra feature.

Last edited by Josh_357; 09-29-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2021 | 03:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh_357
The more I think about it, even with the 3-way in comfort mode, the exhaust valves will be open momentarily at start up. Will they close sooner with the CG VC in comfort mode than they would with standard PSE programming, not sure? If I could start the car with the valves closed on early mornings I would fork out for the extra feature.
I would be surprised if the vacuum holds the valves closed overnight, from my experience startup can be loud. Standard PSE programming closes the valves 'after' startup, when the vacuum builds enough to close them.
Paulywanacracker (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021 | 04:39 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vcp13
I have the unit, but if I did it again I would simply plug the vacuum lines because I haven't closed the valves since it was installed (other than to initially test it). Sounds great, no drone.
Do you have any other exhaust modifications?
Old 09-29-2021 | 05:00 PM
v_rex
Instructor

Originally Posted by vcp13
... no drone.
I also have the 2 way one and drone is present at about 2.5k RPM... Not sure why there is no drone for you.
Old 09-29-2021 | 06:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v_rex
I also have the 2 way one and drone is present at about 2.5k RPM... Not sure why there is no drone for you.
Waiting for @vcp13 to reply about the rest of the exhaust, maybe he is not very sensitive to drone? I can hear drone even in the stock/OEM system...
Old 09-30-2021 | 02:01 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v_rex
Drone is highly personal - I too find that my Cargraphics valve controller caused the factory exhaust to drone at 2.5k rpm. It did not bother me, except on longer trips, but I did shut it off when I could when I was driving over 30 minutes. I've switched to the Kline exhaust and now I do switch the exhaust off since it makes a decent amount of noise at 2k rpm when you accelerate in higher gears. The Kline is definitely livable valves open but occasionally I like the option to turn it off. Maybe I'm getting old.
Old 09-30-2021 | 02:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
Drone is highly personal - I too find that my Cargraphics valve controller caused the factory exhaust to drone at 2.5k rpm. It did not bother me, except on longer trips, but I did shut it off when I could when I was driving over 30 minutes. I've switched to the Kline exhaust and now I do switch the exhaust off since it makes a decent amount of noise at 2k rpm when you accelerate in higher gears. The Kline is definitely livable valves open but occasionally I like the option to turn it off. Maybe I'm getting old.
To be clear the CG controller does not cause drone, the OEM system drones all on its own! As do most others by the way...
v_rex (09-30-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 12:22 PM
5Zigen
Intermediate

Finally had a chance to install the 2 way CG controller yesterday on my GT4 and it works like a charm. There is a bit of 'drone' in that 2.5k-3k range with valves open (stock exhaust), but to my ears its not that bad. I would take that for the more aggressive sound when under normal PSE ON application, the valves are closed in that RPM range.

Got a few more exhaust goodies coming shortly, we'll see how it all ties together...
Old 10-07-2021 | 05:53 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
To be clear the CG controller does not cause drone, the OEM system drones all on its own! As do most others by the way...
Potato potaahhhto... . But yeah, to be the most accurate, the valve controller locking the valve opens causes the factory system to drone. It would do the same thing if you removed the vacuum hoses.

And yes, my Kline also has a mild drone. But I don't mind.
Old 10-07-2021 | 06:43 PM
N11g
Track Day

Installed a 2-mode valve control today. The unit, which has 2 holes on the sides (where I zip tied the box to the bracket). I used a small homedepot bracket and one bolt/nut > the bracket & ziptie can hardly be seen. Everything is inside the engine compartment.

As there are no Cargraphic dealers in Canada, I ordered directly from them (needed less than a week to get it).

So far, I am happy with the mod. By the way, as I was told, the flow optimized OAP gives 2 dB over stock, while the filter deleted one adds 4 dB.

Quick Reply: Cargraphic valve control unit