Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cargraphic valve control unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 06:53 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't think it's possible to connect them wrong, one connector is male and the other is female, So I connected them as shown:

As someone already said, Having a PSE ON/OFF button to only differentiate it at idle doesn't make much sense IMO. I'm pretty sure of what I were listening.

Anyway it would be very usefull just to try to replicate this sequence at IDLE and comment if it behaved differently (you can hear the valve mechanism acting in the video)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

There is a second plug right next to the correct plug! Repeat... there is a SECOND OEM plug just inside of the correct one! That means there are TWO choices of which plug to replace or unplug and replug. Capice? TWO separate places with two OEM plugs right next to each other. YOU could have picked the wrong one? I dont know if it will even fit, but there are TWO choices once you are in the engine compartment. I went on extensive drive today and the CG valve controller works as advertised.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:04 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
There is a second plug right next to the correct plug! Repeat... there is a SECOND OEM plug just inside of the correct one! That means there are TWO choices of which plug to replace or unplug and replug. Capice? TWO separate places with two OEM plugs right next to each other. YOU could have picked the wrong one? I dont know if it will even fit, but there are TWO choices once you are in the engine compartment. I went on extensive drive today and the CG valve controller works as advertised.
You seem pretty adamant that @metalone might have chosen the wrong plug yet you don’t even know if this is possible...
Old 01-26-2021, 03:13 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
You seem pretty adamant that @metalone might have chosen the wrong plug yet you don’t even know if this is possible...
Aaaaand, your point? Im not an engineer or mechanic (I am an accountant!) so how would I know whats possible or even if they are the same type plug? All im saying is that I saw two plug options for this mod basically right next to each other in the engine bay. I had to go back to the several install video to select one. I picked the one furthest to the rear of the engine. There was a second similar plug an inch or two away closer to the front of the car a bit deeper in. It would be very easy to confuse the two. Im not going back in to check if both options accept or are the same plug. Im just suggesting that @metalone might want to go back in and see if he sees the second plug and if he got the correct one and if that solves the issue. Im being adamant because @metalone seems to think I mean that he connected the plugs to each other incorrectly which is not what I am saying. Im saying he might have picked the wrong plug/outlet to begin with. There is a difference. He may also have a faulty unit. As another option, he should take it to a real mechanic who works on Pcars and see what the issue is or if the issue exists at all...

Last edited by dnimi123; 01-26-2021 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Aaaaand, your point? Im not an engineer or mechanic (I am an accountant!) so how would I know whats possible or even if they are the same type plug? All im saying is that I saw two plug options for this mod basically right next to each other in the engine bay. I had to go back to the several install video to select one. I picked the one furthest to the rear of the engine. There was a second similar plug an inch or two away closer to the front of the car a bit deeper in. It would be very easy to confuse the two. Im not going back in to check if both options accept or are the same plug. Im just suggesting that @metalone might want to go back in and see if he sees the second plug and if he got the correct one and if that solves the issue. Im being adamant because @metalone seems to think I mean that he connected the plugs to each other incorrectly which is not what I am saying. Im saying he might have picked the wrong plug/outlet to begin with. There is a difference. He may also have a faulty unit. As another option, he should take it to a real mechanic who works on Pcars and see what the issue is or if the issue exists at all...
Ok this isn't a tax audit so take a breath! Just kidding!!!

I think we all got your message about confirming the correct connection location.

​​​​@metalone was asking was for someone to try the sequence of key presses to see if anyone else experienced the same results, I am going to try and do this today weather permitting, if you don't want to that's fine.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:29 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Ok this isn't a tax audit so take a breath! Just kidding!!!

I think we all got your message about confirming the correct connection location.

​​​​@metalone was asking was for someone to try the sequence of key presses to see if anyone else experienced the same results, I am going to try and do this today weather permitting, if you don't want to that's fine.
Im a tax guy, not audit, so it worse! I replied several posts up that I had tried all possible sequence variations and the controller is working as advertised!
Old 01-26-2021, 04:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Im a tax guy, not audit, so it worse! I replied several posts up that I had tried all possible sequence variations and the controller is working as advertised!
I never fudge about with taxes, I keep it clean and simple, makes it easier in the long run!

So about that controller, I am pretty sure mine is working correctly as well, I usually have it set to Sport when I am by myself or Auto when my wife is along, it must be psychological but the exhaust always sounds louder when she is along...

I tried the exercise of pressing Auto above 4100 RPM, I am sure the valves remained open the entire time, but I am now curious about at idle given what @metalone demonstrates in the video... stay tuned!
Old 01-26-2021, 05:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK I just tried the idle test. it does not follow with what showed in the video in post #136 above... it operated like I would think it should:

CG set to Auto, the PSE controls the valves, you can open them and close them with only the PSE switch on the console
CG set to Sport, the PSE has no effect the valves are open all of the time.

HTH!
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

My question is when is someone going to do a tune on this car so the exhaust button either works and it's quiet like stock, or push the button and the valves don't work and it is loud all the time? While your at it, disconnect the engine shut off button as well.
Fxanimator1 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 01:46 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
My question is when is someone going to do a tune on this car so the exhaust button either works and it's quiet like stock, or push the button and the valves don't work and it is loud all the time? While your at it, disconnect the engine shut off button as well.
It is sort of there now, Cargraphic controller 2-mode for the exhaust and T-Design9 module for ***...
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
dnimi123 (01-28-2021), Petienne981 (02-18-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 07:20 PM
metalone
Racer

Ok, I didn't have any second thought about picking the plug when I was working on as was the only I saw with a white tab. I'll look for it again now that it's clear that there's something wrong. If this turns out to be the cause of this behaviour I will be happy to make you an endorsement as a clairvoyant & tax guy in linkedin...

OK I just tried the idle test. it does not follow with what showed in the video in post #136 above... it operated like I would think it should:

CG set to Auto, the PSE controls the valves, you can open them and close them with only the PSE switch on the console
CG set to Sport, the PSE has no effect the valves are open all of the time.

HTH!
Thank you @Westcoast I will check everything after I come back from a much needed days off. I have the feeling that the OEM plug might have some pin damaged (as a result of plug it off), I hope not!! (finger crossed)

Last edited by metalone; 01-28-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:37 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

^^ well... if it solves the problem that will be satisfaction enough! Hopefully you can get it resolved no matter what. As has been said it could be any number of things. Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 01-28-2021, 09:22 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a new Cargraphics controller still in the plastic. Bought from Supreme Power ~ month ago & I've decided not to install it. I'll likely list it in on the marketplace this weekend.

It's a the two stage version & if anyone is interested please pm me.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:56 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceGT4
I have a new Cargraphics controller still in the plastic. Bought from Supreme Power ~ month ago & I've decided not to install it. I'll likely list it in on the marketplace this weekend.

It's a the two stage version & if anyone is interested please pm me.
I sent you a PM
Old 02-01-2021, 11:15 PM
metalone
Racer

Ok, problem sorted. I removed the CF unit and everything went back to work as factory... now I'm more convinced than before that the factory control is very well thought, and matching it with an OAP/Exhaust would be the ideal, so installing this is not really needed.

I felt very relieved that the issue wasn't a damaged OEM cable as, judging for what I saw, replacing it would require dissembling several parts inside the engine. Anyway this risk should be taking into account for everyone planning to do this installation. The procedure might sound simply on paper but the tight space increase the difficulty a lot and increase the chance of damaging the connectors, specially if you loose your patience.

Although it would have been great if this CF unit weren't faulty, I wouldn't install it again. Uninstalling this module and disconnecting everything was a bit easier than installing it for the first time, but still was a pain and took me more than an hour...

Here is a bunch of pics:

@dnimi123 BTW I didn't found another similar connector, the ones near by were very different when I was looking at the engine, but now looking at the pictures above, there's one further to the front that has a white tab too (so I guess that is the one you were referring to)

Last edited by metalone; 02-01-2021 at 11:45 PM.
UncleDude (02-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Cargraphic valve control unit