Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cargraphic valve control unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 04:53 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Driving impressions

I drive around 100 miles to test out the initial connections and the sounds change after installing the cargraphic controller. Initial thoughts:

1. works as advertised. Sound from 1500-3800 is more loud with the exhaust valves open
2. drone:some around 2000 when you are off gas. Interestingly I was listening to a podcast on part of the drive and kid of forgot that the calves were in the open mode. Speaks well for highway cruising, but for long journeys, I would probably put them to factory setting.
3. does drown out the intake noise. This was one of my concerns that the beautiful intake wait I hear going from 2-4000 would be lost. With the valves open, it’s almost amplified, albeit mixed with exhaust sound

off note, when I drive the car without the engine shield briefly, I could hear extremely loud, but mechanical noises in the cabin. Given How much sound deadening is in the engine cover, I wonder if we should Chanel the beautiful mechanical sound in the cabin rather than just chase the loudness of exhaust.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4_trip
a quick update on my predicament. I ran a check using a trusty OBD2 reader loaned from our local autozone. Turns out the code was P0562. From my reading, it seems like the engine was detecting a low voltage. However, the battery voltage on my display was within normal range. I am thinking it may have been due to battery drainage or connection issue when I was working on it. Removed it and has not come back yet. If anyone knows more about this code, and issues that could have led to this, let me know. Good to know that it was likely not related to the controller itself.
seems like the issue might disconnecting the battery itself. After clearing the initial code, and taking a test drive to make sure no more codes came up (with open engine bay; was pretty unique, will post separately), I decided to put back everything. To prevent the battery from draining, I disconnected the battery right at the beginning (negative terminal). To my my disappointment, when I started the car back, the light came back on. Same code. Think it might have something to do with disconnecting the battery that triggers that code. Cleared the code and did over 100 miles of driving over past 2 days with no more codes. I am still wondering what exactly triggered the code. I agree that disconnecting it is not necessary for the 2 mode controller, and that might be the reason no one else has had the same engine light come up ( assuming they are leaving the battery connected).
​​​​​​

don't worry, this is typical, I got the same code when I swapped my OEM battery for an antigravity ln-ion battery, which of course involves disconnecting the battery; apparently it is common for the ECU, upon restart, when the battery has been disconnected to throw this code, clear it with your OBD-II reader ... you are *good* to go!
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
jacksot (01-10-2021), jimdillard (01-17-2022)
Old 01-10-2021, 04:59 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
​​​​​​

don't worry, this is typical, I got the same code when I swapped my OEM battery for an antigravity ln-ion battery, which of course involves disconnecting the battery; apparently it is common for the ECU, upon restart, when the battery has been disconnected to throw this code, clear it with your OBD-II reader ... you are *good* to go!
thats great to hear. Makes me feel much better. Although while trying to make sure I dint screw up the install, I spent so much time staring the the engine bay that I kind of have the wiring mapped in my brain
Old 01-10-2021, 05:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

thats great to hear. Makes me feel much better. Although while trying to make sure I dint screw up the install, I spent so much time staring the the engine bay that I kind of have the wiring mapped in my brain
no worries, I was concerned too when the GT3 threw the code after replacing the battery, but upon further investigation its a quirk of the car's systems that as it "boots up" it detects a "low votage" issue, which is a side-effect of the disconnect ... just clear the code, however note that I think the code is held in the non-volatile log, so when you go in for a service it will show
on the PIWIS, which is no biggie - just perhaps expect the dealership to note it ... it would have happened if you had let the battery drain flat also I believe!

Old 01-10-2021, 06:02 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts
Default Some 'new' thoughts on the use and effect of the valves

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
For my own clarity... different in a good way? Or bad? Or just different. Haha 😂
Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would say mostly just different, the coupe cabin tends to amplify certain frequencies and have a natural resonance, it couples with the exhaust tone in a stronger way. When I used to install car sound systems as a hobby, we used this principle to boost bass frequencies, but also had to tame them sometimes for a more even frequency response.

Conversly one thing I do like about the cab and top down is when the motoring situation is relaxed and the exhaust more muted the drive is calming and more connected to the surroundings, the open cabin does not hold in the exhaust sound, the exhaust sound is behind you, not inside with you.
Some additional thoughts after the last 2 drives, interesting in part due to the process and by this I mean, one drive with my wife as co-pilot and the other by myself. You wouldn't expect it to make a difference but it changes the way I drive the car!?

So with her aboard I drive it easier and less spiritedly so I spend more time in the lower RPM ranges, I guess being respectful of tossing her about in the seat but also so the engine volume is lower so I can talk to her. What I do find is that when driving this way the drone can be more noticeable and it changes the volume of our conversation. I tend to keep the valves closed to lower the sound intrusion into the cabin. When I go out by myself, the engine RPM is generally higher, almost always above the drone zone so it seems less obvious and because unless I am asking myself for an opinion I am not talking to anyone else!

So the thing I wanted to mention that because of these last two drives I have noticed that the valve positions change the frequency component of the drone, there is drone with valves open and closed but it is at different resonant frequencies, higher with them closed and lower with them open, which I believe makes sense as the air volume in the exhaust system varies from a single path with the valves closed to a dual path when the valves are open.

So it would seem that the valve setting predominantly affects sound frequency of the drone below 3000 rpm and with my setup really only from 1800-2600 rpm, after that you are hearing the mostly the rear sections affect on the character of the sound .
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 12:06 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
​​​​​​

@larrycable - How do you like the antigravity battery? I know there is a thread for that, but any issues???
Old 01-17-2021, 06:28 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Ok, today I went ahead to test the module and got unexpected results.
  • First, I know that some have said that this valves are just 100% open or 100% closed, but that's not what I'm experiencing.When I push the 2 button the module seems to trigger a 100% close/vacuum signal which leaves the car surprisingly quiet. So quiet that I really don't remember having listen it like this before... but maybe that is because I always pushed the sport button before and I went to the grub mod for some time too.
  • If I press the 2 button the valves close no matter if the OEM sport exhaust it's in ON or OFF position. But If it is in OFF the valves seems to remain close much longer, but eventually they will open, but not 100% IMO, I would say about 50% instead... If I press the 2 button again I can hear the difference quite clear and the valves go 100% closed again... then if I turn ON the Sport Exhaust button I would say they open again, maybe at 100% or 80% I'm not sure, but if then I turn OFF the OEM button the valves won't close, they remain open, unless I press the 2 button again which will close them immediately.Is not easy to decipher this OEM function logic, but my bottomline here is that the Cargraphic module allows to send 100% close instructions (or 100% vacuum) every time you press 2, which is something that through the ECU (or the sport buttons) is not something straight away.

With the Cargraphict module in function "2" the car is more quiet than ever before..

Anyone have experienced the same?

Last edited by metalone; 01-17-2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:42 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
  • First, I know that some have said that this valves are just 100% open or 100% closed, but that's not what I'm experiencing.When I push the 2 button the module seems to trigger a 100% close/vacuum signal which leaves the car surprisingly quiet. So quiet that I really don't remember having listen it like this before... but maybe that is because I always pushed the sport button before and I went to the grub mod for some time too.
  • If I press the 2 button the valves close no matter if the OEM sport exhaust it's in ON or OFF position. But If it is in OFF the valves seems to remain close much longer, but eventually they will open, but not 100% IMO, I would say about 50% instead... If I press the 2 button again I can hear the difference quite clear and the valves go 100% closed again... then if I turn ON the Sport Exhaust button I would say they open again, maybe at 100% or 80% I'm not sure, but if then I turn OFF the OEM button the valves won't close, they remain open, unless I press the 2 button again which will close them immediately.Is not easy to decipher this OEM function logic, but my bottomline here is that the Cargraphic module allows to send 100% close instructions (or 100% vacuum) every time you press 2, which is something that through the ECU is not right away.

With the Cargraphict module in function "2" the car is more quiet than ever before..

Which one of these do you have?

Old 01-17-2021, 06:50 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

• First, I know that some have said that this valves are just 100% open or 100% closed, but that's not what I'm experiencing.When I push the 2 button the module seems to trigger a 100% close/vacuum signal which leaves the car surprisingly quiet. So quiet that I really don't remember having listen it like this before... but maybe that is because I did the grub mod very early and didn't experienced much the valves being closed.
  • If I press the 2 button the valves close no matter if the OEM sport exhaust it's in ON or OFF position. But If it is in OFF the valves seems to remain close much longer, but eventually they will open, but not 100% IMO, I would say about 50% instead... If I press the 2 button again I can hear the difference quite clear and the valves go 100% closed again... then if I turn ON the Sport Exhaust button I would say they open again, maybe at 100% or 80% I'm not sure, but if then I turn OFF the OEM button the valves won't close, they remain open, unless I press the 2 button again which will close them immediately.Is not easy to decipher this OEM function logic, but my bottomline here is that the Cargraphic module allows to send 100% close instructions (or 100% vacuum) every time you press 2, which is something that through the ECU is not right away.

Sorry, I read you post a couple of times and something doesn't make sense with what you are saying... which Cargraphic module to you have?

I have the Cargraphic 2-mode unit, press button 1 for Sport (valves open all the time), press button 2 for Auto, valves under Porsche PSE control. Mine works exactly this way.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:51 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Which one of these do you have?
Beer!
UncleDude (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:51 PM
metalone
Racer

the first, two modes only
Old 01-17-2021, 06:52 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

the first, two modes only
OK, now you are buying the beer!

Old 01-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
@larrycable - How do you like the antigravity battery? I know there is a thread for that, but any issues???
well I have had one in my 991.2 GT3 for a few months now with no problems (although you need a special trickle chrger) ... I just put the AG into the Spyder yesterday ... no issues with install
and I even managed to haul the OEM out w/o standing in the frunk as I did in the GT3!!!

it comes with a nice bluetooth battery charge monitor which you can access from your smartphone...

all in all I'd say it was worth it to shed a few pounds w/o resorting to diet!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:10 PM
metalone
Racer

Ha ha... ok so there's two things you can do reproduce the thing. After a spirited drive, which I would assume were having the CG on "1" and the PSE "ON" (just in case) do the following:
  1. Put the PSE button OFF first and then press "2" on CG. Go above 4000 rpm for some time and then press "2" button again. If you hear the car go quieter then the AUTO is not keeping the valves closed (even with PSE OFF)
  2. The same idea, but now pressing "2" on CG while having the PSE button ON. Drive for a while then press the PSE button OFF, and then press the CG on "2".
Old 01-17-2021, 07:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ha ha... ok so there's two things you can do reproduce the thing. After a spirited drive, which I would assume were having the CG on "1" and the PSE "ON" (just in case) do the following:
  1. Put the PSE button OFF first and then press "2" on CG. Go above 4000 rpm for some time and then press "2" button again. If you hear the car go quieter then the AUTO is not keeping the valves closed (even with PSE OFF)
  2. The same idea, but now pressing "2" on CG while having the PSE button ON. Drive for a while then press the PSE button OFF, and then press the CG on "2".
1: The valves are supposed to be open beginning at 4000RPM no matter if the PSE is set to on or off, the flow is too high to have them closed at this point. So pressing 2 (Auto) above 4000 RPM will not close the valves.
2: Once again if you are talking about above 4000RPM then the valves are open no mater PSE on/off and CG set to 1 or 2

You are making me very thirsty now!
jimdillard (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Cargraphic valve control unit