Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cargraphic valve control unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 12:08 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 684 Posts

Yes... that was the other one with the white tab further in. In my mind at the time it looked the same and I had to go back to the VDOs to decide which one... but you picked the same on I did so must be the CG unit. Glad its resolved, but have to say I love this mod and use it all the time an it makes a world of difference to me to be able to have the valves open all the time.... especially since I have ordered the Kline exhaust. Really looking forward to the combo of open all the time along with a less restrictive and better sounding exhaust. Anyway, good luck!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:44 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,758 Posts

@metalone great that you have solved your problem and restored the wiring to factory original without any issues. Also thanks for the awesome photos, very clear to see the connector required for this mod!

Interesting that you feel that you no longer feel the need to have the valves open (when desired) all of the time, I like this mode when driving spiritedly, preferring that there is no open then closed valve transition when climbing through the RPM range.

Of course as was originally intended the CG controller can provide the choice of how these valves operate, I am happy to have these options.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:38 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

Well, I really don't have a logic explanation for this, but when I did the grub mod (blocking the vacuum lines) I didn't bother the sound at lower RPM but after installing the CF it actually started to annoy me the sound at lower RPM a little bit... maybe with time the stock exhaust start to be louder or maybe was driving slowly when my fiance felt bad that started to also annoying me , I don't know, but now that I will be doing an OAP plus the Cargraphic Racing XPipe I think that probably would leave the factory control acting all the time, so I'm just weighting the pros/cons really... also if I need to use the car warranty for some reason I will have to remove it, and it's not easy (the OAP and racing XPipe will be installed by my dealer not avoiding warranty so there's no issue with thouse)

Also the "Saussagge" guy did OAP (supersprint) plus Cargraphic Racing X pipe, that now is selling his Spyder, commented that the sound was awesome, without drone , but maintaining the factory control, so there's another point to consider.

Those are my train of thought about not wanting the CF module anymore, even if it wasn't malfunctioning.. maybe I will change it for some CF tailpipes (thinking outloud), but no more CF valve control for me at least.

Last edited by metalone; 02-02-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by metalone
Well, I really don't have a logic explanation for this, but when I did the grub mod (blocking the vacuum lines) I didn't bother the sound at lower RPM but after installing the CF it actually started to annoy me the sound at lower RPM a little bit... maybe with time the stock exhaust start to be louder or maybe was driving slowly when my fiance felt bad that started to also annoying me , I don't know, but now that I will be doing an OAP plus the Cargraphic Racing XPipe I think that probably would leave the factory control acting all the time, so I'm just weighting the pros/cons really... also if I need to use the car warranty for some reason I will have to remove it, and it's not easy (the OAP and racing XPipe will be installed by my dealer not avoiding warranty so there's no issue with thouse)

Also the "Saussagge" guy did OAP (supersprint) plus Cargraphic Racing X pipe, that now is selling his Spyder, commented that the sound was awesome, without drone , but maintaining the factory control, so there's another point to consider.

Those are my train of thought about not wanting the CF module anymore, even if it wasn't malfunctioning.. maybe I will change it for some CF tailpipes (thinking outloud), but no more CF valve control for me at least.
Regarding bolded, interesting, although my wife has only made the comment, "yes it is loud' but also said it is up to me, I am more aware when she is riding with me and during those times I keep the controller set to Auto (factory OEM). When I am by myself and having some fun the controller is set to Sport (always open). As for warranty, I am not sure why you feel the controller would cause an issue, by it's nature it is external and can be set to off and if there was ever a question that it was causing a problem it can be disconnected very quickly.

So I do have a bit of a heads up, if the Cargraphic Racing X-Pipe is as loud as most other X-Pipes you may want to hear the car with it on before doing the OAP as well, with just the JCR Silenced Racing X-Pipe the increase in volume was substantial, probably enough for most, when I added the OAP the volume took another serious leap in volume, it could be too much for some people. As for your comment above about drone, I would be very surprised if the Cargraphic Racing X-Pipe had none, even the factory system has drone if the valves are not closed between 1800-4000 RPM.

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-02-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:51 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Regarding bolded, interesting, although my wife has only made the comment, "yes it is loud' but also said it is up to me, I am more aware when she is riding with me and during those times I keep the controller set to Auto (factory OEM). When I am by myself and having some fun the controller is set to Sport (always open). As for warranty, I am not sure why you feel the controller would cause an issue, by it's nature it is external and can be set to off and if there was ever a question that it was causing a problem it can be disconnected very quickly.

So I do have a bit of a heads up, if the Cargraphic Racing X-Pipe is as loud as most other X-Pipes you may want to hear the car with it on before doing the OAP as well, with just the JCR Silenced Racing X-Pipe the increase in volume was substantial, probably enough for most, when I added the OAP the volume took another serious leap in volume, it could be too much for some people. As for your comment above about drone, I would be very surprised if the Cargraphic Racing X-Pipe had none, even the factory system has drone if the valves are not closed between 1800-4000 RPM.
Regarding warranty, don't get me wrong I think that is a good product and the best in comparison with others, but the fact that is a piggy plug inside the engine that is "interfering" with the ECU is enough to cause concerns from a dealer perspective IMO... for instance in my case, I was lucky that the malfunction was related to the close valves signals so that's not harmful, but what if the failure (or malfunction) would instead caused that the valves won't open when they should?... the factory design don't have this risk because it something fail (a vacuum pump or something else) the valves would just stay opened so nothing to worry, but an external unit stuck in between is different (this is just to explain my point of view anyway, not saying that will happen).

Regarding disconnecting it. I disagree, it was a difficult task!. Disconnecting the OEM plug from the Cargraphic female plug was a similar stress than installing it for the first time, and the risk or damaging the connector is there (I had to use pliers again)... I'm pretty sure that if someone grab the connector from the cables to pull it up will damage the connection easily.

Regarding to drone, I meant the drone below 4000 RPM... that is why I now reckon that factory setting is clever, and agree with others that have went back to factory control as well to enjoy the Full sound at higher RPM but filtering the drone at lower... so the PSE is ready to handle that.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:33 PM
argyleCali
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 18 Posts

Was trying to find the pricing for it in the US but couldn’t find any relevant info. Would really appreciate if any of the folks here who have it would be kind enough to PM me. Thanks! 🙂
Old 02-17-2021, 03:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by argyleCali
Was trying to find the pricing for it in the US but couldn’t find any relevant info. Would really appreciate if any of the folks here who have it would be kind enough to PM me. Thanks! 🙂
I would have no problem with that but wouldn't it be more relevant to reach out to somebody like Supreme Power (Eric) and get a quote?
The following users liked this post:
argyleCali (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:10 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 684 Posts

@SupremePower Just give Eric a call... Thats where I got mine. Super easy, super helpful and super fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by dnimi123:
843Spyder (02-18-2021), argyleCali (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 08:15 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

In stock. $399 + ship ... would be happy to get you set up!

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would have no problem with that but wouldn't it be more relevant to reach out to somebody like Supreme Power (Eric) and get a quote?
Thank you

Originally Posted by dnimi123
@SupremePower Just give Eric a call... Thats where I got mine. Super easy, super helpful and super fast.
Thank you

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

The following 2 users liked this post by SupremePower:
843Spyder (02-17-2021), argyleCali (02-17-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 12:53 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 440 Posts

Had mine installed last week, works like a charm! Car sounds great with valves open!
dnimi123 (03-17-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:11 AM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 516 Likes on 252 Posts

Totally worth it for those of you unsure

Last edited by Mojonito; 02-19-2021 at 12:18 PM.
dnimi123 (03-17-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:15 AM
843Spyder
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 for Supreme Power. Super easy to work with and fast delivery. He even managed to locate me a set of Akrapovic Over Axle Pipes!
dnimi123 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:31 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 286 Posts

I still have some more reading and research to do, but just to confirm my questions...Is this just for the PSE valves, or are there other valves that are in operation independently from the PSE (if one were to swap exhausts).
Pardon my ignorance on this thread, I'm all for some extra noise and grunt! I saw someone earlier mention replacing the OAP pipes and exhaust and not needing CG (I think it was metalone).
Old 03-17-2021, 11:38 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

Give @BGB Motorsports a buzz. They are selling the unit dirt cheap! They told me they have more coming in this week if anyone is interested.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:40 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,416 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by 843Spyder
+1 for Supreme Power. Super easy to work with and fast delivery. He even managed to locate me a set of Akrapovic Over Axle Pipes!
Thank you

We have more OAP's coming in soon into Germany warehouse and we ship International Priority Overnight.

We have 15 Cargraphic 2WAY Control modules that shipped from Germany today. Should be in late this week

BONUS: 1 set of OAP, Slip on Race, Black Tips, Glossy Diffuser in stock ready to go at a discounted price....25 miles on all parts

Last edited by SupremePower; 03-17-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Cargraphic valve control unit