Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cargraphic valve control unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021 | 08:40 PM
metalone
Racer

Well my theory is that pressing "2" is not just switching to AUTO, will first trigger a close command and THEN will leave the ECU to take charge again (AUTO). So pressing the "2" button would do a CLOSE+AUTO even is you are at 7000 rpm... I will continue my testings next time.
Old 01-17-2021 | 08:46 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well I have had one in my 991.2 GT3 for a few months now with no problems (although you need a special trickle chrger) ... I just put the AG into the Spyder yesterday ... no issues with install
and I even managed to haul the OEM out w/o standing in the frunk as I did in the GT3!!!

it comes with a nice bluetooth battery charge monitor which you can access from your smartphone...

all in all I'd say it was worth it to shed a few pounds w/o resorting to diet!
Let me PM you as I dont want to hijack or go off topic in this thread.
Old 01-17-2021 | 08:46 PM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by metalone
Well my theory is that pressing "2" is not just switching to AUTO, will first trigger a close command and THEN will leave the ECU to take charge again (AUTO). So pressing the "2" button would do a CLOSE+AUTO even is you are at 7000 rpm... I will continue my testings next time.
If it’s working that way it’s either malfunctioning or you have the 2nd unit.
Old 01-17-2021 | 09:10 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, today I went ahead to test the module and got unexpected results.
  • First, I know that some have said that this valves are just 100% open or 100% closed, but that's not what I'm experiencing.When I push the 2 button the module seems to trigger a 100% close/vacuum signal which leaves the car surprisingly quiet. So quiet that I really don't remember having listen it like this before... but maybe that is because I always pushed the sport button before and I went to the grub mod for some time too.
  • If I press the 2 button the valves close no matter if the OEM sport exhaust it's in ON or OFF position. But If it is in OFF the valves seems to remain close much longer, but eventually they will open, but not 100% IMO, I would say about 50% instead... If I press the 2 button again I can hear the difference quite clear and the valves go 100% closed again... then if I turn ON the Sport Exhaust button I would say they open again, maybe at 100% or 80% I'm not sure, but if then I turn OFF the OEM button the valves won't close, they remain open, unless I press the 2 button again which will close them immediately.Is not easy to decipher this OEM function logic, but my bottomline here is that the Cargraphic module allows to send 100% close instructions (or 100% vacuum) every time you press 2, which is something that through the ECU (or the sport buttons) is not something straight away.

With the Cargraphict module in function "2" the car is more quiet than ever before..

Anyone have experienced the same?
Assuming the following to be mostly correct(?):

PSE off, right after start-up and vacuum builds in the engine the valves close and remain there until about 4000 RPM
PSE on, after start-up the valves stay open to approximately 1800 RPM then close until 4000 RPM when they open again.

Hmmmm, I can't say that I have tried to make adjustments to the settings while the engine was above 4000 RPM, my eyes are on the road and hands are on the wheel!

Above 1800 RPM but below 4000 RPM I would expect that going from 1 to 2 would close the valves, I am sure that is what I experience.
Old 01-17-2021 | 09:56 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by mjw930
If it’s working that way it’s either malfunctioning or you have the 2nd unit.
With the 2nd unit you won't have to press the button each time you go above or below 4000 rpm. That's could be the deal with that version (completely stealth all the time, like an electric car). Anyway I'll see it in my next trip.

Originally Posted by Westcoast

PSE off, right after start-up and vacuum builds in the engine the valves close and remain there until about 4000 RPM
PSE on, after start-up the valves stay open to approximately 1800 RPM then close until 4000 RPM when they open again.

Hmmmm, I can't say that I have tried to make adjustments to the settings while the engine was above 4000 RPM, my eyes are on the road and hands are on the wheel!
Above 1800 RPM but below 4000 RPM I would expect that going from 1 to 2 would close the valves, I am sure that is what I experience.
Right, so the test is fairly easy, pressing "2" above 4100 rpm...
Old 01-17-2021 | 10:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

With the 2nd unit you won't have to press the button each time you go above or below 4000 rpm. That's could be the deal with that version (completely stealth all the time, like an electric car). Anyway I'll see it in my next trip.

This is on my list of things to try next time I drive the car.
Old 01-17-2021 | 10:25 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast

My experience with PSE on is:
  • 1st gear: valves closed between 1800-5000 RPM (unless you floored it starting below 1800 RPM, in which case they stay open throughout the rev range)
  • 2nd gear: valves closed from 1800 RPM to somewhere in the 3700-5000 RPM range it seems, but there's no obvious sudden transition to open I could hear. Maybe the sound symposer and the exhaust valves open at different points.
  • 3rd gear and up: valves closed between 1800-3700 RPM, clear crisp transition to full noise above 3700 RPM
The following users liked this post:
metalone (01-24-2021)
Old 01-18-2021 | 12:22 AM
mjw930
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wizee
My experience with PSE on is:
  • 1st gear: valves closed between 1800-5000 RPM (unless you floored it starting below 1800 RPM, in which case they stay open throughout the rev range)
  • 2nd gear: valves closed from 1800 RPM to somewhere in the 3700-5000 RPM range it seems, but there's no obvious sudden transition to open I could hear. Maybe the sound symposer and the exhaust valves open at different points.
  • 3rd gear and up: valves closed between 1800-3700 RPM, clear crisp transition to full noise above 3700 RPM
What’s your experience with PSE off? People keep saying the valves open up at 4K which basically means the only difference between on and off is at idle which seems like a glorious waste of engineering to build a dual path muffler. I would expect their opening with PSE off to be based on RPM and throttle so above 4K they would open and close based on throttle since the quiet path is likely too restrictive for high RPM, high load airflow.
Old 01-23-2021 | 07:53 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Found the perfect place (in the glovebox) to velcro the CG valve controller remote. I did program the homelink but wanted to keep the remote somewhere in the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by dnimi123:
Croc999 (01-24-2021), JP4931 (01-23-2021), metalone (01-23-2021)
Old 01-24-2021 | 11:18 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have been reading over what you are saying here, sounds like you want to have the valves closed above 4000 RPM?

If yes this is not a good idea, this creates too much back pressure and could cause engine damage, not even recommended by Cargraphic themselves.

I tried this a couple of times, I do not believe that I heard a change in the exhaust note caused by the valves closing, they remained open. What did your testing show?
Old 01-24-2021 | 05:25 PM
metalone
Racer

Well wasn't something I wanted, it turned out that I just notice this when my fiance felt dizzy so I decided to take it easy for her and drive quiet back home. I know that is not a good idea have the valves closed under heavy load but now I understand why someone would like to have this feature.. you could still drive around 5000 calm (not like being in a trackday) but quiet too.

I made a short video at idle to see if others report the same behavior from their units:
  • If I press 2 (AUTO) while PSE is OFF then valves closes as expected. Then If I turn PSE ON the valves opens also as expected, BUT if now I turn PSE to OFF the valves remains open. I must push 2 (AUTO) again to have them close. Also If I press 2 (AUTO) while PSE are ON valves remains open so the unit respect this state.
Also, when driving the valves remained closed after pressing 2 while PSE was OFF, even after reaching 4000 and 5000rpm. I wasn't flooring the car as I didn't wanted to create heavy load conditions.

Video

Last edited by metalone; 01-24-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2021 | 05:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well wasn't something I wanted, it turned out that I just notice this when my fiance felt dizzy so I decided to take it easy for her and drive quiet back home. I know that is not a good idea have the valves closed under heavy load but now I understand why someone would like to have this feature.. you could still drive around 5000 calm (not like being in a trackday) but quiet too.

I made a short video at idle to see if others report the same behavior from their units:
  • If I press 2 (AUTO) while PSE is OFF then valves closes as expected. Then If I turn PSE ON the valves opens also as expected, BUT if now I turn PSE to OFF the valves remains open. I must push 2 (AUTO) again to have them close. Also If I press 2 (AUTO) while PSE are ON valves remains open so the unit respect this state.
Also, when driving the valves remained closed after pressing 2 while PSE was OFF, even after reaching 4000 and 5000rpm. I wasn't flooring the car as I didn't wanted to create heavy load conditions.

Video
Hmmmm, I will try the button sequence you show at idle, not today though as it is pouring out and the car is dry and clean in the garage!

I find when cruising on the highway especially under light load the exhaust is almost silent, it would be really helpful to know exactly what the programming for the PSE was, everyone seems to have a bit different take on it including the RPM and valve positions!
Old 01-24-2021 | 09:22 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Video
Mine works as advertised. button 1 always open. Button 2 back to normal PSE operation. Maybe you plugged the unit into the wrong place when installing? There were two plugs in the same vicinity. I used the one closer to the rear of the car.
Old 01-24-2021 | 11:17 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Mine works as advertised. button 1 always open. Button 2 back to normal PSE operation. Maybe you plugged the unit into the wrong place when installing? There were two plugs in the same vicinity. I used the one closer to the rear of the car.
I plugged both cables, they made a nice click, I don't think it is possible to plug them wrong.

Button 1 always open (checked), but what I dicovered (at least with my unit) is that button 2 only allows you to close the valves once (if PSE is OFF), as I have shown in the video...
Have you tried opening and closing the valves several times at idle only by using the PSE button?.

Last edited by metalone; 01-24-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2021 | 12:23 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

I plugged both cables, they made a nice click, I don't think it is possible to plug them wrong.

Button 1 always open (checked), but what I discovered (at least with my unit) is that button 2 only allows you to close the valves once (if PSE is OFF), as I have shown in the video...
Have you tried opening and closing the valves several times at idle only by using the PSE button?.
But there are TWO original cables/plugs within an inch of each other... so I dont know what happens if you unplugged and pluged the CG unit into the wrong one (or if thats even possible). The correct plug as the one closest to the rear of the car when you were inside the engine bay. That said when I hit button 2 the valve operations revert PERFECTLY back to the OEM PSE program. The OEM PSE program when off, closes the valves up until about 4,000 rpm. When ON (PSE light ON) the valves are open at idle, then close when you are moving and revs are below 4,000... then open again at 4,000. The valves are NEVER closed above 4,000 rpm in ANY scenario. You may not be hearing whats going on properly? But if you think the valves are closed above 4,000 rpm then you have a faulty two way unit, installed the 3-way unit and you should remove it. You should also email Vlad as he is very responsive and helpful...

Quick Reply: Cargraphic valve control unit