Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:26 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Sometimes we make mistakes and it's costly to correct! I almost bought a 981 Spyder almost 4 years ago. I was driving to the dealer with check in hand, then I turned back. Literally. Nothing to do with the car at the time, but other priorities. But in retrospect I am happy I did not buy it. The manual roof would be a chore and the gearbox would suck (for me). It also had the stupid small gas tank. So I lucked out that time.

Here I said it: happy to not buy 981 Spyder, totally excited to buy a 718 GTS
Old 02-25-2020, 01:31 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Then, go tune the 718 GTS T4 and enjoy it even more.
Doubt I will ever do that. Been there done that. Now I am more in the stay stock, stay happy camp.
The following users liked this post:
k.alexander (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 01:32 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
Congratulations. You have done the right thing for your situation. If you view a 4-cylinder as inferior, then you'll always view that car as inferior.

I don't have that view. When we purchased our car in 2018 it was one of the best sports cars on the road at any price, and particularly for the price that we paid. My opinion hasn't changed since then. For that reason, I'm not bothered by what I paid for my speedy little T4 CGTS. So now there is a new car to drool over that has F6 & NA. That new car is capable of I believe all of 2mph on top of the 180mph our car is capable of. I'd be amazed if I ever got within 30mph or that top end. Acceleration? Pretty much a wash between the two. Efficiency? The ratings I see for the GTS 4.0 indicates owners can expect 22mpg at most while highway driving, considerably less around town or when winging it hard. My car gets me 26-27 mpg on the highway, also considerably less when pushed. Sure, that's low priority in a sports car but it's still reality. Sound? It's all in the ears. I've heard comparisons with the NA6 & T4. I personally think the T4 sounds better. It's a tenor rather than a soprano, a cello rather than a violin.

MOO & FWIW

There are always a few that will lean contrary to popular opinion and no harm in that. I personally think the T4 still sounds great with a nice exhaust but the NA6 is just more of the pure Porsche experience. Our 981 S with Brombacher exhaust sounds pretty wicked. No T4 IMO sounds as good as that.

Different strokes however and each person typically argues for the car/platform they actually purchased..

I passed up on the newer, more tunable, bigger power T4 for a 981. I justify that due to the desire for the NA6 experience. I also saved considerable money (likely $20k+) over a newer 718 by finding and buying a 4k mile 981. Icing...

You bought the T4 and equally love yours. Both are Porsche and both great cars.

The following 6 users liked this post by MotoJB:
blackholescion (02-28-2020), CaymanMatt (02-25-2020), Chester7 (02-25-2020), ldamelio (02-25-2020), michael818 (02-26-2020), unclemat (02-25-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:08 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rzspyder
I often find it astonishing when folks defend the 4T.

I’m not an expert when it comes to performance cars.
After the honeymoon period with the car, and realizing I probably shouldn’t have spent north of $80k on a 4T car, things started to bother me.
At the end, I sold the car and I’m waiting on the delivery of my Spyder. .
I predict you will sell the Spyder in 18 months time. Desiring sports cars is a life long affliction, and is quite different than seeking status.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:12 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
I predict you will sell the Spyder in 18 months time. Desiring sports cars is a life long affliction, and is quite different than seeking status.
This comment makes me worried. I hope it won’t be the case!
Old 02-25-2020, 02:22 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

This comment makes me worried. I hope it won’t be the case!
Could be worse. At least you sold one before buying another.
unclemat (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:24 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by TopspeedPT
I'm not sure what makes me smile more, the fact that I drove the same car Mark did or that he only beat me by about 4 seconds in a lap

(and I think at least half of those 4 were easily found if I actually remembered how the track went and if they had allowed us to at least use PSM in sport mode)
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
sobiloff (02-25-2020), TopspeedPT (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:47 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Here is my story: I’m not an expert when it comes to performance cars. I had a Subaru BRZ as my first sports car and I did not know even the difference between turbo and NA. It just happened that I had accidentally bought an NA car. I liked the car a lot, and the response to throttle seemed immediate to me. After I got more into sports cars, I wanted something more. It was around the time that Porsche had moved to 4T for the Cayman S. I test drove one with the PDK and felt it lacked immediacy in response. I then test drove one with the manual and it felt much better but it was still not instant. It was good enough (or the feeling of buying a new Porsche got into my brain’s decision making) that I decided to move forward specially since my wife also liked the idea of buying a Porsche. Also, I could not afford a 911 and I like to always buy new cars.

After the honeymoon period with the car, and realizing I probably shouldn’t have spent north of $80k on a 4T car, things started to bother me. The final nail on the coffin was when my buddy bought a used 981 base with PDK and when I drove it, the throttle response felt much sharper than my Cayman S and reminded me of fun times with the BRZ. After that I could definitely always feel the lag. I always drove on 2nd or 3rd and was at around 14 mpg (primary city driving) but not that efficient.

At the end, I sold the car and I’m waiting on the delivery of my Spyder. In my opinion no compromises should be made when you buy a car, otherwise it will hunt you down the road.
Back in the day I had a Mazdaspeed 3....2.3l turbo engine. From the factory, it was ... fun but certainly some lag and holes in the performance. After a bunch of mods (the typical tune + intake/intercooler/downpipe type changes) the character changed drastically and the spool up time became a complete non-issue. It would spool nearly instantly if you were above 3000 rpm and the throttle response was impressively fast, similar to say an NA engine with a torque converter auto without downshifting.

Point is, a lot of what goes into meeting noise/emissions/longevity standards mutes the possible performance from a turbo with a free flowing intake/exhaust track. I wouldn't write off a turbo car just because of a bad experience with one platform, turbos can be quite capable.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:07 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Here is my story: I’m not an expert when it comes to performance cars. I had a Subaru BRZ as my first sports car and I did not know even the difference between turbo and NA. It just happened that I had accidentally bought an NA car. I liked the car a lot, and the response to throttle seemed immediate to me. After I got more into sports cars, I wanted something more. It was around the time that Porsche had moved to 4T for the Cayman S. I test drove one with the PDK and felt it lacked immediacy in response. I then test drove one with the manual and it felt much better but it was still not instant. It was good enough (or the feeling of buying a new Porsche got into my brain’s decision making) that I decided to move forward specially since my wife also liked the idea of buying a Porsche. Also, I could not afford a 911 and I like to always buy new cars.

After the honeymoon period with the car, and realizing I probably shouldn’t have spent north of $80k on a 4T car, things started to bother me. The final nail on the coffin was when my buddy bought a used 981 base with PDK and when I drove it, the throttle response felt much sharper than my Cayman S and reminded me of fun times with the BRZ. After that I could definitely always feel the lag. I always drove on 2nd or 3rd and was at around 14 mpg (primary city driving) but not that efficient.

At the end, I sold the car and I’m waiting on the delivery of my Spyder. In my opinion no compromises should be made when you buy a car, otherwise it will hunt you down the road.
How long did you have your T4, and how many miles did you put on it?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:13 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
How long did you have your T4, and how many miles did you put on it?
I bought it on November 2017 and sold it end of December 2019 once I secured my Spyder allocation. It was my daily and only car (wife has her own SUV) that I used to get to work and for weekend fun. If I remember correctly I put ~15k miles on it.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:46 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

I bought it on November 2017 and sold it end of December 2019 once I secured my Spyder allocation. It was my daily and only car (wife has her own SUV) that I used to get to work and for weekend fun. If I remember correctly I put ~15k miles on it.
Dang. A shame it never grew on you. Certainly can't say you didn't give it a fair shake.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of not making compromises when it comes to a car. I was miserable the entire 22 months I owned my Audi. Well, except the very, very rare days we had snow and ice.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanSinAR:
Chester7 (02-26-2020), rzspyder (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 04:12 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

You certainly did give it a chance. It's good to hear but unfortunate it didn't grow on you.
Good luck with the Spyder. It should be a joy!
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanMatt:
Chester7 (02-26-2020), rzspyder (02-26-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:56 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 532 Posts

Again taking the thread in a different direction. What are your sales predictions for the GTS 4.0 ? Mine are low. Not a knock on the car at all despite my fondness for my F4T and some of my needling on prior posts, I believe that it will be an extraordinary car. Despite that, it's a niche. With a few options, it approaches the price of a base 911. While I think it may be worth it (mid-engine > rear engine, sports car v. GT, etc.), it will be a challenge to overcome the icon status of the 911. I also think that much of the debate about the F4T v. F6 is confined to a relatively small number of people who populate forums and watch YouTube reviews. To the general buying public, which is already small for the car, it just won't matter. Separating emotion, what do you guys predict?
michael818 (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 06:35 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,256 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
I also think that much of the debate about the F4T v. F6 is confined to a relatively small number of people who populate forums and watch YouTube reviews. To the general buying public, which is already small for the car, it just won't matter. Separating emotion, what do you guys predict?
I predict that the F4T will be seen as the real value when the dust settles.
Unless sound is the be all and end all of why one buys a car...
Old 02-27-2020, 06:55 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
To the general buying public, which is already small for the car, it just won't matter. Separating emotion, what do you guys predict?
The small part of the public that would buy a car like this generally does know more about it. And the 4.0 bit written on the side looks good. We've only seen that written on some very very expensive and highly rated 911s so far. So that helps.

People going for value will continue to buy the 2.0 base. The higher end will go for the 4.0. There's not going to be much point in the 2.5 anymore.

The new GTS will also attract some sales from the "NA flat 6 or death!" crowd holding onto their 987/981 cars who had nowhere to upgrade to until now. That's not tens of thousands of sales, but it is a not insignificant number relative to the small amount of sales that the Boxster and Cayman represent for Porsche generally. And 100% of those will get the 4.0.

For anyone at all who loves naturally aspirated flat sixes, the GTS 4.0 cars are awesome value by Porsche standards so I don't see why they would not do well.
The following 3 users liked this post by JCviggen:
michael818 (02-27-2020), rjag2034 (02-28-2020), sonicworld (02-28-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0