Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 08:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Regarding first statement... it definitely seems like this flat crank v8 engine is already in mules based on sound clips:
Thats the engine. OK.

Remember the last gen being so track worthy as promised by GM. Except that after a few laps it decided it needed a nap before the start of the next session. Oh yeah, didn't they also change the tranny for the 2nd year.

Can't believe that marketing arm. At least Ford did better out of their box with the GT350s.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Thats the engine. OK.

Remember the last gen being so track worthy as promised by GM. Except that after a few laps it decided it needed a nap before the start of the next session. Oh yeah, didn't they also change the tranny for the 2nd year.

Can't believe that marketing arm. At least Ford did better out of their box with the GT350s.
Yea yea, you're right of course.. but remember that one German car company Porsche with self-grenading 9000rpm engines?

If we want bleeding edge tech, there are going to be issues.. as long as the OEM's stand behind them, I'd rather have insanely cool cars than another safe twin turbo ho hum v6 which everyone is going to.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:59 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,644 Likes on 934 Posts

Thats the engine. OK.

No offense, but it sounds like you have a biased against GM. Your comment isn't objective at all.

Porsche has had issues with the GT3's, Ford has had MANY issues with the GT350 motor and routinely blow up on the track, others use A LOT of oil.

At least with the 5.5L in the upcoming Z06, it is race proven already in the C8R race car. Ford didn't use the GT350 motor in a racing application before using it. GM didn't use the LS7 from the C6 Z06 in any racing applications either. The point here that GM THIS TIME is starting from their race motor and going from there.

It amazes me how many car enthusiasts have blinders on and such tunnel vision, just because of the name plate. At any given time any manufacturer can put out a superior product, regardless of price. That is why I am in a SS 1LE right now, even though I could afford others and I came from a 16' M3. GM is killing it right now and stepping up their game on interior quality. They have been leading the way in chassis and suspension now for quite a while. This is the reason why BMW has great sales on the M cars, when in fact they have been **** and behind the curve for 2 generations now. People buy into the "Ultimate Driving Machine" marketing crap and have tunnel vision.

I love my SS 1LE, but there are 3 reasons I am moving to the PDK GT4... Weight (the 1LE has high limits, but is heavy and you can feel it when throwing it around), PDK,& Mid-engine. And maybe to the C8 Z06 after that, depends.

Last edited by TRZ06; 11-02-2020 at 09:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Avaley (11-07-2020), mr965 (11-03-2020), Nickshu (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 09:23 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
No offense, but it sounds like you have a biased against GM. Your comment isn't objective at all.
Non taken. Now may I suggest you look at your own posts. Pot meet kettle.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:34 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Non taken. Now may I suggest you look at your own posts. Pot meet kettle.

My case is different. I can say that because I owned and lived with the M3 for 3 years. My view is based on experience. BMW is going in the wrong direction with the //M brand. Most agree with this.

This does not mean however that they can't come back from it, BUT that is not the direction they are moving with the M brand currently.

I have owned most brands, Audi TTRS, BMW 335i, M3, Corvette Z06 C5 & C6, Camaro, Ford Mustang. I choose a car based more on its performance and direction, rather than brand. At any given time one manufacturer will rise against others and so the cycle goes, some rise, others fall and then they reverse years later.

The following users liked this post:
mr965 (11-03-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:27 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
new article from TopSpeed but not much new
price $125,000 and 440 hp

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsch...-ar186605.html
Centre lock wheels look like they're 19" magnesium. Naca ducts, ok. bigger rear wing, ok. Cant tell if the hood is CF. Weissach?

Old 11-02-2020, 10:32 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Definitely sounds like a PDK tranny.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Puggz
Centre lock wheels look like they're 19" magnesium. Naca ducts, ok. bigger rear wing, ok. Cant tell if the hood is CF. Weissach?
Really unusual if they used 19"'s when normal GT4 Uses 20's. Also they look like 20's.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:50 AM
Avaley
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Regarding first statement... it definitely seems like this flat crank v8 engine is already in mules based on sound clips:

https://youtu.be/-cSh0-CAWRA

And regarding second statement... LOL you're so right.

Porsche has had issues with the GT3's, Ford has had MANY issues with the GT350 motor and routinely blow up on the track, others use A LOT of oil.

At least with the 5.5L in the upcoming Z06, it is race proven already in the C8R race car. Ford didn't use the GT350 motor in a racing application before using it. GM didn't use the LS7 from the C6 Z06 in any racing applications either. The point here that GM THIS TIME is starting from their race motor and going from there.

It amazes me how many car enthusiasts have blinders on and such tunnel vision, just because of the name plate. At any given time any manufacturer can put out a superior product, regardless of price. That is why I am in a SS 1LE right now, even though I could afford others and I came from a 16' M3. GM is killing it right now and stepping up their game on interior quality. They have been leading the way in chassis and suspension now for quite a while. This is the reason why BMW has great sales on the M cars, when in fact they have been **** and behind the curve for 2 generations now. People buy into the "Ultimate Driving Machine" marketing crap and have tunnel vision.

I love my SS 1LE, but there are 3 reasons I am moving to the PDK GT4... Weight (the 1LE has high limits, but is heavy and you can feel it when throwing it around), PDK,& Mid-engine. And maybe to the C8 Z06 after that, depends.
Thats the engine. OK.

They use the motor already in the C8R race car, so I think they have a good leg up already. Obviously the production car will be more powerful than the C8R is (as crazy as that is), so the question is will they be able to maintain that reliability with whatever power increase they give it.
The difference this time around though is it is now mid-engined, and has the interior & interior materials worthy of a 6 figure price tag (in 3LT form). In addition, a DCT gear box AND 8,500 to 9K redine from the 5.5L NA motor in the C8R race car.

People keep brushing off the upcoming C8 Z06 (understandable in a Porsche forum), but I'm telling you I think it is going to be different this time around.

My timing for replacing my SS 1LE is going to be the PDK GT4, however if GM nails the C8 Z06 and it gets good reviews and doesn't have major issues, I am not ruling out trading the GT4 for it after the hype wears down and the prices start to get discounted.

The C8 Z06 (without the Z07 package) is going to have 275 and 335 F/R tire sizes ( That is A LOT for a mid-engine car. I bet you see 1.25 stock lateral G limits on the base Z06 (Cup 2's) and 1.3 G's with the Z07 package (Cup 2 R's), along with 2.6ish 0-60 times. GM also has AMAZING traction control/stability systems (with PTM Modes), E-diff., and MRC shocks (or maybe DSSV's from the ZL1 1LE). The C8 Z06 will be a game changer for the mid-engine market IF GM pulls it off without any major issues.
^^^^^

I completely agree. This will be a massively exciting car with that engine and yes.. 335 rear wheels.. and wider track, the grip this will generate will be immense. Now the question is whether they are going to go full crazy with the aero and include those movable side flaps from the USPTO drawings.
Attachment 1317918
I find the c8 simply hideous looking.. but with performance specs like these and flat crank NA v8... I'm in, couldn't care less what it looks like. I am VERY curious how they are going to develop a vibration-acceptable engine at that size.. normally flat crank v8's have issues when piston size gets bigger than 500cc... this will be a 688cc piston.. maybe some kind of magnetorheological engine mounts?
9000 RPM, mid engine, 600 horsepower and likely 2.5s 0-60. Shrieks like a ferrari and starts at $85,000. Considering the base model does 7:30 around the Nring, it really is different this time.

The C8 Z06, ZR1 are the equivalent of the American girl next who is also fluent in Italian....I think competitive market forces and this years sales should give management in stuttgart plenty of reasons to innovate and I hope for us the consumer are forced to cut prices.

Last edited by Avaley; 11-03-2020 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:08 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Avaley
The C8 Z06, ZR1 are the equivalent of the American girl next who is also fluent in Italian....I think competitive market forces and this years sales should give management in stuttgart plenty of reasons to innovate and I hope for us the consumer are forced to cut prices.
My business experience suggests that you underestimate German arrogance.
I'd rather be wrong here, but my experience matters to me.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:26 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
My business experience suggests that you underestimate German arrogance.
I'd rather be wrong here, but my experience matters to me.
Sort of true... they don't exactly move from their prescribed and predictable model line-up no matter what is thrown at them. Then again, if they weren't so determined they would stop building NA GT3 engines in this regulatory/emissions environment so... cuts both ways.

anyone noticed this new wheel design?.. ME LIKEY!!!!! these are from street driving in stuttgart...

these could be the basic wheel design

non-weissach wheel

these look like magnesium.. maybe a weissach package wheel??

Last edited by CAlexio; 11-03-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:42 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

9000 RPM, mid engine, 600 horsepower and likely 2.5s 0-60. Shrieks like a ferrari and starts at $85,000. Considering the base model does 7:30 around the Nring, it really is different this time.

No one can deny that Corvette offers some serious numbers and if the engine is reliable on the new model it will be a great competitor and probably be even will be faster than a GT4 RS. That does not mean that Porsche doesn't have their followers that will happily buy it for what it is. The GT4 and Spyder are selling really well, so did the GT3 and so will the newer models. I prefer the fit and finish of Porsche over Chevrolet, both interior and exterior looks and feels higher quality. It is as simple as that, looks more elegant.

Every one have different choices and preferences, nothing wrong with that That is why there are many manufacturers offering different cars for people with different tastes.

Sort of true... they don't exactly move from their prescribed and predictable model line-up no matter what is thrown at them. Then again, if they weren't so determined they would stop building NA GT3 engines in this regulatory/emissions environment so... cuts both ways.

anyone noticed this new wheel design?.. ME LIKEY!!!!! these are from street driving in stuttgart...
Those wheels in the first link are the 991 Speedster concept wheels. I really doubt they will release the car with those wheels. They were not even optional on the 991 Speedster it was supposed to go on. They do look awesome!

Given this information, GT4 RS most likely will sport a 305 tire at least.

Last edited by sin911; 11-03-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:04 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

My case is different. I can say that because I owned and lived with the M3 for 3 years. My view is based on experience. BMW is going in the wrong direction with the //M brand. Most agree with this.

This does not mean however that they can't come back from it, BUT that is not the direction they are moving with the M brand currently.

I have owned most brands, Audi TTRS, BMW 335i, M3, Corvette Z06 C5 & C6, Camaro, Ford Mustang. I choose a car based more on its performance and direction, rather than brand. At any given time one manufacturer will rise against others and so the cycle goes, some rise, others fall and then they reverse years later.
I like the way you think. I previously had the 10 spd ZL1. What a blast having that power. It also ran all day without overheating. The biggest downsides for me was the outward visibility, overweight mass and high running cost in consumables. I will seriously consider a C8 Z06.
Avaley (11-07-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Avaley
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
I like the way you think. I previously had the 10 spd ZL1. What a blast having that power. It also ran all day without overheating. The biggest downsides for me was the outward visibility, overweight mass and high running cost in consumables. I will seriously consider a C8 Z06.
imo, I think Porsche will lose buyers to the C8. Its too good of a value and I hope for us loyalists, the outcome is Porsche pricing gets reigned in from its current out of control state. $85k optioned out GTS 4.0s vs $85k poverty z06 seems like a nice choice for the consumer if you ask me!
Traind (11-08-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 02:39 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

imo, I think Porsche will lose buyers to the C8. Its too good of a value and I hope for us loyalists, the outcome is Porsche pricing gets reigned in from its current out of control state. $85k optioned out GTS 4.0s vs $85k poverty z06 seems like a nice choice for the consumer if you ask me!
I think so too, but it will be a few years before it happens. The Z06 is probably about 1 year out from being available for sale. For the 1st year to 2 years there will be mark-ups and no discounted pricing. 2024 will probably be a great time to get into the new Z06. The hype will have died down, the volume dealers will start discounting them and by them the ZR1 and more info on the Zora will be out.

Timing wise for me, it works out perfect. I will replace the SS 1LE with the PDK GT4, enjoy/keep it for 1.5 to 2 years and maybe move up to the C8 Z06 at that time. Although, if I love the GT4 as much as the reviewers/youtubers do, I might end up just keeping it, but it is nice to know that the C8 Z06 will be lurking out there as a alternative.
Avaley (11-07-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS