Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 01:18 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
At $130, I just ticked the box.
From what I’ve been told it’s not worth it. And the camera that goes with it is marginal at best and if they have to do something in the rear, the wiring doesn’t support it.
best
Ed
The following users liked this post:
sunnyr (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 01:28 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
From what I’ve been told it’s not worth it. And the camera that goes with it is marginal at best and if they have to do something in the rear, the wiring doesn’t support it.
best
Ed
I have the Porsche Dashcam wiring option. And I have the Porsche Dashcam front and rear in my 4RS. The rear install behind the glass in the hatch looks the best! However, the front cam is gigantic and poorly designed, it really takes up some front windshield visibility. The install for both front and rear is not simple, and it costs a lot to have the dealer do it.
sunnyr (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 04:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Serious question. As I read through all these posts, there seems to be two things people really don't like on their RS builds - Sport Chrono (dash wart) and the Deletion of SiriusXM Antenna (roof wart). I can understand people recommending to stay away from the upgraded Bose stereo, as these are track cars and extremely loud, but other than that, I just don't get it. I especially don't understand the Sport Chrono hate, as it adds the performance display in the PCM, and IMO, adds a nice touch to the interior. Am I missing something here?

It's the same thing with the smoking package and luggage net in passenger footwell. Everyone says you have to check both options because they are free and/or look better. I've had cars with and without both. I personally couldn't care less either way. In fact, I've found the open storage compartment on the center console to be more useful vs. opting for the covered ash tray just to get the smoother look. I've never once used the passenger luggage net, and I rarely have a passenger in my GT car who would use it either. If weight is the justification, wouldn't you skip these options too? Just my $.02.
Sport chrono is a useless analog timer. Literally NO ONE uses it for anything -- even more useless than the analog speedometer that no one ever looks at either. Smoker package is a smoother look, adds an extra and more convenient 12V outlet (for trickle charging), and the cover-less hole just collects dust, dirt, and useless trinkets (change!). Luggage net is useful for anything: small bag, bottle, book, map... Both add no more than few grams to the weight. Bose, LED lights, sport chrono, FAL and 18way seats EACH add much more weight than that. Different orders of magnitude.
chriswd62 (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
best
Ed
Originally Posted by marinb
I have the Porsche Dashcam wiring option. And I have the Porsche Dashcam front and rear in my 4RS. The rear install behind the glass in the hatch looks the best! However, the front cam is gigantic and poorly designed, it really takes up some front windshield visibility. The install for both front and rear is not simple, and it costs a lot to have the dealer do it.
OK, I'll skip this option.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:37 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,021 Likes on 420 Posts

Serious question. As I read through all these posts, there seems to be two things people really don't like on their RS builds - Sport Chrono (dash wart) and the Deletion of SiriusXM Antenna (roof wart). I can understand people recommending to stay away from the upgraded Bose stereo, as these are track cars and extremely loud, but other than that, I just don't get it. I especially don't understand the Sport Chrono hate, as it adds the performance display in the PCM, and IMO, adds a nice touch to the interior. Am I missing something here?

It's the same thing with the smoking package and luggage net in passenger footwell. Everyone says you have to check both options because they are free and/or look better. I've had cars with and without both. I personally couldn't care less either way. In fact, I've found the open storage compartment on the center console to be more useful vs. opting for the covered ash tray just to get the smoother look. I've never once used the passenger luggage net, and I rarely have a passenger in my GT car who would use it either. If weight is the justification, wouldn't you skip these options too? Just my $.02.
I was able to build my RS, and if I could do it again, there’s only one option that I’d change:

I would NOT get Sport Chrono. This is my first car with it, and I find the reflection of the glass at nighttime to be annoying. I don’t use the clock at all or the timer functions as I use a catalyst at the track. I skipped it on my GT4, and I’d pass on it again if I could do it again. Of course, the cost was negligible. I just realize it provides zero benefit to me and actually a bit of a downside.

Again, personal choice.

I agree, with the center console—I much prefer the little open cup to be much more useful than the covered ash tray. I use it pretty regularly. I opted for the covered ash tray in my GT4 and missed the cup from my previous Pcars.

It is really fun to personalize these cars to our own individual tastes and preferences.
The following 4 users liked this post by KelvinC:
chriswd62 (11-16-2023), GrantG (11-16-2023), Porsche2014 (11-17-2023), usctrojanGT3 (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 07:59 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
I was able to build my RS, and if I could do it again, there’s only one option that I’d change:

I would NOT get Sport Chrono. This is my first car with it, and I find the reflection of the glass at nighttime to be annoying. I don’t use the clock at all or the timer functions as I use a catalyst at the track. I skipped it on my GT4, and I’d pass on it again if I could do it again. Of course, the cost was negligible. I just realize it provides zero benefit to me and actually a bit of a downside.

Again, personal choice.

I agree, with the center console—I much prefer the little open cup to be much more useful than the covered ash tray. I use it pretty regularly. I opted for the covered ash tray in my GT4 and missed the cup from my previous Pcars.

It is really fun to personalize these cars to our own individual tastes and preferences.
Yeah, the dash wart is useless and looks fugly....I've skipped it on all my GT cars.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:06 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 840 Likes on 439 Posts

no wart - inside or out
The following 2 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
GrantG (11-18-2023), usctrojanGT3 (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 08:22 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 576 Likes on 332 Posts

Also skipped the wart on my GT4… wish I could have deleted the XM wart. I’ll probably pay a body shop to just fill it in at some point.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 11-18-2023, 06:50 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

I with you Chris, I like the clock - feels it adds a nice touch, looks racey to me.

A comment on the Bose - all my previous P-Cars included Bose. But, I did not spec it on the RS to save weight with fewer speakers, and was willing to accept a sub-par stereo. To my surprise the base stereo sounds great - its just fine, rocks, very little difference to my ears.

I use the net, so I spec'ed that. And, I like the covered compartment in the center console so spec'ed the smoking package too.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I looked at all of my Porsches today, and they all have the sport chrono clock. I like it, and I feel like the car would be incomplete without it.

The satellite radio thing also looks fine, going to keep it in case we get the subscription (wife uses it).
Old 11-18-2023, 07:25 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

Yeah I’m with you on the Sport Chrono. I like the look. And the passenger storage net; works great to drop the phone in.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:27 PM
GT4 981
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Yeah I’m with you on the Sport Chrono. I like the look. And the passenger storage net; works great to drop the phone in.
I think people need to stop reading forums on what other people like or dislike and spec their own car how they like it!
The following 3 users liked this post by GT4 981:
85Gold (11-18-2023), Crazy Eddie (11-23-2023), sbsurfer (11-22-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 08:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

I like the Sport Chrono, I like the BOSE stereo and use SiriusXM on every road trip we take... I use the smoking package to connect my CTEK charger when parked at home, the net, used a couple of times and its not in the way... So I am happy with the decisions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Crazy Eddie (11-23-2023), Manifold (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 08:59 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Can’t believe all this love for the completely useless sport chrono bling in an RS no less. What’s next, spinners?
Old 11-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Can’t believe all this love for the completely useless sport chrono bling in an RS no less. What’s next, spinners?
What’s more interesting to me is how some people are unable to understand why some people like the little clock thingy. Looks matter in a sports car, and some people like how the little clock looks.
Crazy Eddie (11-23-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS