Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 02:32 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

414hp now? At best the RS will have 430hp and with the PDK will get the slight torque bump that the manual has limited, add some aero/lightweight bits and minor suspension tweaks and that will be it. Anyone who thinks it will get a different motor or 450hp+ knows nothing of Porsche history on these sort of cars. We're not talking GT3 to GT2 changes, we're talking GT3 to GT3 RS level changes, so use the same formula for the GT4 to GT4 RS.
The following 3 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
kart driver (11-08-2020), porscheflat6 (11-09-2020), TDT (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 09:13 AM
Traind
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
No offense, but it sounds like you have a biased against GM. Your comment isn't objective at all.

Porsche has had issues with the GT3's, Ford has had MANY issues with the GT350 motor and routinely blow up on the track, others use A LOT of oil.

At least with the 5.5L in the upcoming Z06, it is race proven already in the C8R race car. Ford didn't use the GT350 motor in a racing application before using it. GM didn't use the LS7 from the C6 Z06 in any racing applications either. The point here that GM THIS TIME is starting from their race motor and going from there.

It amazes me how many car enthusiasts have blinders on and such tunnel vision, just because of the name plate. At any given time any manufacturer can put out a superior product, regardless of price. That is why I am in a SS 1LE right now, even though I could afford others and I came from a 16' M3. GM is killing it right now and stepping up their game on interior quality. They have been leading the way in chassis and suspension now for quite a while. This is the reason why BMW has great sales on the M cars, when in fact they have been **** and behind the curve for 2 generations now. People buy into the "Ultimate Driving Machine" marketing crap and have tunnel vision.

I love my SS 1LE, but there are 3 reasons I am moving to the PDK GT4... Weight (the 1LE has high limits, but is heavy and you can feel it when throwing it around), PDK,& Mid-engine. And maybe to the C8 Z06 after that, depends.
I agree that chassis design is excellent in the Camaro and that all manufacturers have problems with some models. There is a difference between your observations though....Porsche, to my knowledge, fully owned their GT3 engine problem and fixed every one. The C7 Z06 overheating issues were improved, though not completely solved, if you bought a new model 2 years later. All the early adopters received no help from GM at all. It didn't impact most Corvette owners because most don't track their cars. But the few that do pretty much all experienced the problem and had to go aftermarket to solve it. GM claimed it only impacted a small percentage of Z06s.... and that was right. The exact same percent that went to the track, lol.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Avaley
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Huh? A sub 7:00 for a GT4RS? A 991.2GT3 did a 7:12, highly unlikely for a 718 GT4RS to go under 7:00 at the ring.
I'm trying to be an optimist and acknowledge its unlikely. Its not impossible for the 982 GT4 RS to be faster than a prior gen 991 gt3 if the 992 gt3 rs is solidly sub 7:00s? If a manual GT4 718 does 7:30 today, I would think a base PDK GT4 RS does it at minimum sub 7:15 before Clubsport / Weissach packages given how suboptimal the 6MT gearing is.

Last edited by Avaley; 11-08-2020 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 06:33 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Avaley
I'm trying to be an optimist and acknowledge its unlikely. Its not impossible for the 982 GT4 RS to be faster than a prior gen 991 gt3 if the 992 gt3 rs is solidly sub 7:00s? If a manual GT4 718 does 7:30 today, I would think a base PDK GT4 RS does it at minimum sub 7:15 before Clubsport / Weissach packages given how suboptimal the 6MT gearing is.
it wouldn't make that big of a difference. sub-optimal gearing is relative. it's sub-optimal for places like streets of willow, small, tight tracks. it's why, for example, BMW tested the M2 CS at Hockenheimring when touting it's advantage over the 718 GT4. for a place like the 'ring you're living mainly in 3, the upper end of 2, and 4. and since the 1 & 2 ratios are the real problem, it's not a huge issue. it's a high speed course with few braking zones. when we get a 718 PDK GT4 number, that'll basically be your number minus let's call it 7-8 seconds due to Cup2 R and better aero/weight. 991.2 GT3 v. GT3 RS delta is about 15 seconds. i don't think the spread on the GT4 v. GT4 RS will be that wide.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:38 AM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lamacan
it wouldn't make that big of a difference. sub-optimal gearing is relative. it's sub-optimal for places like streets of willow, small, tight tracks. it's why, for example, BMW tested the M2 CS at Hockenheimring when touting it's advantage over the 718 GT4. for a place like the 'ring you're living mainly in 3, the upper end of 2, and 4. and since the 1 & 2 ratios are the real problem, it's not a huge issue. it's a high speed course with few braking zones. when we get a 718 PDK GT4 number, that'll basically be your number minus let's call it 7-8 seconds due to Cup2 R and better aero/weight. 991.2 GT3 v. GT3 RS delta is about 15 seconds. i don't think the spread on the GT4 v. GT4 RS will be that wide.
Any word on when the Rs will be available in N-spec 20" dimensions? I doubt we will see a 15 second spread between GT4 PDK and the RS.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
414hp now? At best the RS will have 430hp and with the PDK will get the slight torque bump that the manual has limited, add some aero/lightweight bits and minor suspension tweaks and that will be it. Anyone who thinks it will get a different motor or 450hp+ knows nothing of Porsche history on these sort of cars. We're not talking GT3 to GT2 changes, we're talking GT3 to GT3 RS level changes, so use the same formula for the GT4 to GT4 RS.

This...besides the fact that they have a "small" pricing window/spread where to price an 4RS version. Lets says they raise the price $30K.....the carbon bonnet alone is a $10K piece.
I could see a bump in power by working the tune and the exhaust...check the threads on exhaust mods and you will find that the engine is restricted a lot. A little tweek here and there and they could get 430-440 hp from the same engine without a major investment.
Got to milk that cow since they went to the trouble of designing the 9A2 N/A engine.....
The following 3 users liked this post by jmartpr:
#1SomeGuy (11-09-2020), porscheflat6 (11-09-2020), TDT (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:39 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This...besides the fact that they have a "small" pricing window/spread where to price an 4RS version. Lets says they raise the price $30K.....the carbon bonnet alone is a $10K piece.
I could see a bump in power by working the tune and the exhaust...check the threads on exhaust mods and you will find that the engine is restricted a lot. A little tweek here and there and they could get 430-440 hp from the same engine without a major investment.
Got to milk that cow since they went to the trouble of designing the 9A2 N/A engine.....
While I seriously doubt Porsche will release the RS with more than 450 HP, they clearly created the engine in the current GT4/Spyder with the intent of running it in the RS as well. Going by the dynograph's from BGB and I believe JCR was the other one the engine has potential to make more power. So my belief is the car's engine is tapped from factory.

On a side note, Porsche does charge $10k for a CF bonnet but we all know that is not near the cost they are manufacturing it for. A 997 regular bumper used to cost $800 while the GT3 bumper was $5,000. There is no significant manufacturing up cost but because of the 'GT' label Porsche puts a mark up.

Porsche is a genius when it comes to marketing and up charging for parts!
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
porscheflat6 (11-09-2020), TDT (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 02:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
While I seriously doubt Porsche will release the RS with more than 450 HP, they clearly created the engine in the current GT4/Spyder with the intent of running it in the RS as well. Going by the dynograph's from BGB and I believe JCR was the other one the engine has potential to make more power. So my belief is the car's engine is tapped from factory.

On a side note, Porsche does charge $10k for a CF bonnet but we all know that is not near the cost they are manufacturing it for. A 997 regular bumper used to cost $800 while the GT3 bumper was $5,000. There is no significant manufacturing up cost but because of the 'GT' label Porsche puts a mark up.

Porsche is a genius when it comes to marketing and up charging for parts!
Good point on the bonnet, but as we see from price of PCCB, they don't vary much depending on which model you spec them on. Whether it's marketing or COGS-driven hardly matters.. Porsche doesn't flinch on option prices so these affect price of lower MSRP cars so much more proportionally. So it's likely that a weissach pack would cost very similar amount to what it does on 3RS, unless they decontent it with less items (remove magnesium wheels for example).

I see GT4RS coming in at around $125k.. ~20% more than GT4, and about half as much again to GT3 base price. Key will be to order it without any frilly options so that it retains a good value for buyer where they get a good updated engine and suspension bits but don't get lost specking it up hoping to create some Uber-PTS overly specced car ..

I've heard it won't be numbered, they want to see these used on actual tracks, that's what they're building it. It's just a GT4CS you can register and drive home, not some 911R little brother. I hope the "value" conversation never ever ever comes to light with this car. It should be tracked, modified, depreciated, enjoyed, held or sold.. but never "collected" or speculated with. Enough GT2RS owners grimacing on this forum as they try to sell cars they never intended to drive.. lessons learned hopefully.

After experiencing GT4CS and getting completely smitten by how fun it was, This will be my first PDK car.

Last edited by CAlexio; 11-09-2020 at 03:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
porscheflat6 (11-09-2020), TDT (11-10-2020), Traind (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 03:16 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Good point on the bonnet, but as we see from price of PCCB, they don't vary much depending on which model you spec them on. So it's likely that a weissach pack would cost very similar amount to what it does on 3RS, unless they decontent it with less items (remove magnesium wheels for example).
I agree the prices for the options don't change much depending on whether it's a 991 or 718 chassis (though in specific PCCB exmple the GT4/Spyder uses the same size brakes so makes sense to charge the same). It's just Porsche charges a very big mark up for GT department parts overall. Especially CF pieces from Porsche are ridiculously priced lol!
Old 11-09-2020, 03:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Parenthetically.. follow Robert Linton's new Instagram .. you realize that carbon fiber is for the poors... parts made from aluminum-berrillium-unobtanium-ridiculousum are where it's at.

I would rather the GT4RS had bodyparts made of Jamaican ganjaweed hemp just like the GT4CS's bodyparts are instead of poseur carbon flipping fiber. This material is just as light as carbon fiber, easier and cheaper to replace and completely recyclable.. if you're going to track a car, it's likely you would have some oopsies.. a track-car should be cheaper to fix in certain aspects.
Name:  photo620.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  692.1 KBName:  photo266.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  537.5 KB
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/09...sche-body-kit/
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
Avaley (11-10-2020), porscheflat6 (11-09-2020), TDT (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 98 Posts

Now it we could just get parts made out of Vibranium we’d never have to fix anything!
Old 11-09-2020, 05:51 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Parenthetically.. follow Robert Linton's new Instagram .. you realize that carbon fiber is for the poors... parts made from aluminum-berrillium-unobtanium-ridiculousum are where it's at.

I would rather the GT4RS had bodyparts made of Jamaican ganjaweed hemp just like the GT4CS's bodyparts are instead of poseur carbon flipping fiber. This material is just as light as carbon fiber, easier and cheaper to replace and completely recyclable.. if you're going to track a car, it's likely you would have some oopsies.. a track-car should be cheaper to fix in certain aspects.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/09...sche-body-kit/
I've seen the news article on the hemp based body parts on the GT4CS. And it is a great natural alternative! As long as it's painted or wrapped it will do great. I've seen a video of one of the first Fords produced had hemp based body panel. There was a guy hammering it and nothing would happen to the panel. They seemed very resistant.

Just make sure the car doesn't catch on fire, or it's going to a turn into Woodstock
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 06:46 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Good point on the bonnet, but as we see from price of PCCB, they don't vary much depending on which model you spec them on. Whether it's marketing or COGS-driven hardly matters.. Porsche doesn't flinch on option prices so these affect price of lower MSRP cars so much more proportionally. So it's likely that a weissach pack would cost very similar amount to what it does on 3RS, unless they decontent it with less items (remove magnesium wheels for example).

I see GT4RS coming in at around $125k.. ~20% more than GT4, and about half as much again to GT3 base price. Key will be to order it without any frilly options so that it retains a good value for buyer where they get a good updated engine and suspension bits but don't get lost specking it up hoping to create some Uber-PTS overly specced car ..

I've heard it won't be numbered, they want to see these used on actual tracks, that's what they're building it. It's just a GT4CS you can register and drive home, not some 911R little brother. I hope the "value" conversation never ever ever comes to light with this car. It should be tracked, modified, depreciated, enjoyed, held or sold.. but never "collected" or speculated with. Enough GT2RS owners grimacing on this forum as they try to sell cars they never intended to drive.. lessons learned hopefully.

After experiencing GT4CS and getting completely smitten by how fun it was, This will be my first PDK car.
I hope you're right. If it's "limited" like the gt3/2 rs though you know everyone that can get an allocation is going to weissach, magnesium, pts, and heritage pack the crap out of their builds cause resale and no dealer will order a stripper....
Old 11-09-2020, 11:05 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Why you say that, my .2 3RS was only $195 MSRP and dealer didn't flinch when I only had 5 little options on the car. This a GT4 not GT2 price category. They should not care how it is spec'd
Old 11-10-2020, 01:29 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Why you say that, my .2 3RS was only $195 MSRP and dealer didn't flinch when I only had 5 little options on the car. This a GT4 not GT2 price category. They should not care how it is spec'd
Because something like 75% of the rs' were ordered by with weissach, a cosmetic option buyers were killing each other for? Because dealer margin is higher on options than the base vehicle? Because if there are more buyers than cars they can either be selective or spec loaded cars themselves? Congrats on your car but I wouldn't say that's typical.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS