Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 03:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Another weight element to consider will be whether most order with pccb or go with the aftermarket options for tracking. I was just talking to a guy at Laguna this weekend with a Gt4 with 105,000 miles... at least a 3rd of those on track. He had just had his pccb measured and they were still within new tolerance... almost beyond believe except he said he does cool down laps when on track....

There is some serious weight loss there... will all GT4RS come with PCCB?
Old 11-27-2020, 04:24 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

I believe like about 35 lbs for PCCBs. You can also get that with AP racing's Radical brake set up. It drops about 32-33 pounds. That is amazing that the PCCbs have lasted that long. I don't think that is the norm though.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:33 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Another weight element to consider will be whether most order with pccb or go with the aftermarket options for tracking. I was just talking to a guy at Laguna this weekend with a Gt4 with 105,000 miles... at least a 3rd of those on track. He had just had his pccb measured and they were still within new tolerance... almost beyond believe except he said he does cool down laps when on track....

There is some serious weight loss there... will all GT4RS come with PCCB?
mine had about 50% life left when I traded with 12k miles on my car. Probably half of those on track. Always did a cool down lap as well.

Curious if they were measured properly, with them being taken off the car. I know a few discrepancies have been seen by measuring on the car vs off. I believe there is a thread on the topic somewhere. Either way, not the norm unless he’s barely using brakes ha!
The following 2 users liked this post by Buteo:
DFW01TT (11-28-2020), GrantG (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 05:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buteo
mine had about 50% life left when I traded with 12k miles on my car. Probably half of those on track. Always did a cool down lap as well.

Curious if they were measured properly, with them being taken off the car. I know a few discrepancies have been seen by measuring on the car vs off. I believe there is a thread on the topic somewhere. Either way, not the norm unless he’s barely using brakes ha!
i tend to agree with you.. but regardless, the guy was clearly happy with his PCCB's!
Old 11-27-2020, 05:34 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Is his GT4 Yellow by chance?
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by PiB993
Is his GT4 Yellow by chance?
No, silver with full sharkwerks upgrades and shorter gearing
The following users liked this post:
PiB993 (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 08:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo

If he has 105k miles on the car, 35k of which are track miles, and the PCCB brakes are still working fine, I’d say that’s a win, regardless of what a measurement says.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
JAhmed (11-27-2020), RolloGigolo (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 08:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I believe like about 35 lbs for PCCBs. You can also get that with AP racing's Radical brake set up. It drops about 32-33 pounds. That is amazing that the PCCbs have lasted that long. I don't think that is the norm though.
I was told that on the street barring any external damages that PCCB's would last nearly the life of the vehicle...

Last edited by Westcoast; 11-28-2020 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If he has 105k miles on the car, 35k of which are track miles, and the PCCB brakes are still working fine, I’d say that’s a win, regardless of what a measurement says.
I believe brake pads were changed at 35,000 miles... going from memory, I think he's a Rennlister, I hope I'm not misrepresenting. but riding in the car we were chatting and seeing the brakes he said just give good cool-down laps.

Maybe the pccb issue is overblown??

Anyway... it gave me pause as I think about how I'll spec mine.. im going for lowest spec possible, zero comfort or aesthetic features like leather, and only $ spent on options which won't need to be replaced by a better track alternative. Thinking:
-PCCB? Or spend $13k and get ST refurbishable ceramics right away?
-regular seats no LWB as those don't really do the job, no HANS compatibility etc. need to be replaced with more functional ones anyway.
-no wiessach or similar farkles as need to go to 19inch track wheels
-no stereo

-actually the more I think about it... unless Porsche surprises us with some amazing performance-enhancing option.. I can't see needing to get ANY options and just going with a GT Silver car with nothing else and then building it from there. This will be just a track car I can legally drive home. Can't wait.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (11-28-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 10:08 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I suspect it is also very dependent on everyone’s personal style. Some people might have a smoother style that causes less heat and wear, while others are harder on their brakes and tires. As I understand it, PCCB rotors don’t degrade much unless they are above a certain temperature, and if you rarely hit that temperature, they’ll last a long time.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:10 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
I suspect it is also very dependent on everyone’s personal style. Some people might have a smoother style that causes less heat and wear, while others are harder on their brakes and tires. As I understand it, PCCB rotors don’t degrade much unless they are above a certain temperature, and if you rarely hit that temperature, they’ll last a long time.
I agree. I spent 20+ years on the track on motos and I was super light on my brakes compared to my buddies. I imagine there would be similar variations based upon drivers in a car.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:14 AM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,107 Likes on 543 Posts

Looked it up, so FYI. OEM steel to PCCB looks like a 39 pound weight loss. Front rotor is 24.2 to 15.2 or minus 9 pounds per front corner. Rear rotor is 24 to 13.5 or minus 10.5 pounds per rear corner.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:30 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 318 Posts

I believe brake pads were changed at 35,000 miles... going from memory, I think he's a Rennlister, I hope I'm not misrepresenting. but riding in the car we were chatting and seeing the brakes he said just give good cool-down laps.

-actually the more I think about it... unless Porsche surprises us with some amazing performance-enhancing option.. I can't see needing to get ANY options and just going with a GT Silver car with nothing else and then building it from there. This will be just a track car I can legally drive home. Can't wait.
Low cost?
Forget 19" wheels and tires and just track the OEM wheel and your tire of choice.
Iron calipers and their pads will always be lower cost than PCCB's, unless you will keep your track car well into the 100k mile range.
I haven't tested this in Excel yet, but I'm confident in the low cost outcome.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:14 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Looked it up, so FYI. OEM steel to PCCB looks like a 39 pound weight loss. Front rotor is 24.2 to 15.2 or minus 9 pounds per front corner. Rear rotor is 24 to 13.5 or minus 10.5 pounds per rear corner.
So using the widely accepted dictum that unsprung weight reduction is worth 4x sprung weight... pccb or ST rotor equivalent is very worthy expense with 160lb reduction.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:52 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Anyway... it gave me pause as I think about how I'll spec mine.. im going for lowest spec possible, zero comfort or aesthetic features like leather, and only $ spent on options which won't need to be replaced by a better track alternative. Thinking:
-PCCB? Or spend $13k and get ST refurbishable ceramics right away?
-regular seats no LWB as those don't really do the job, no HANS compatibility etc. need to be replaced with more functional ones anyway.
-no wiessach or similar farkles as need to go to 19inch track wheels
-no stereo

Yes, I too am having to pause to think about how best to spec my GT4 RS. I was looking for a GT4 Clubsport but have abandoned that idea and am instead going for an RS hoping, that if spec’d properly, I can get a similar zing from it on track as I do in a Clubsport and it can be driven to the track instead of trailering. To that end, I will likely spec it as trim as practical so will stick with the LWBs and Clubsport package with roll bar as I am happy with that setup with my Simpson device and helmet. I will also go for Iron brakes. Will then look at swapping out the wheels for a set of 19s.

Last edited by Chris3963; 11-28-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS