Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 05:06 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by very green R
Greatly appreciate all your great feedback in your posts above. It is great to find all this out before I get my GT4RS.

When you say step out does that mean understeer and you keep going straight, or does it mean oversteer and the back end swings out? Does the step out even happen with the electronic aids left in standard position, ON?
Step out meaning, the rear can and will loose grip if you stomp on the gas. Since we all want to let our friends hear that glorious engine sound when they ride along as a passenger, I am going to predict that someone is going to loose control when demonstrating - particularly if the wheel is turned or if the surface is slippery. That is not a worry for me since I am an experienced Rennlister with almost cat like reflexes! But for the rest of you mere mortals only launch in a straight line on dry even pavement, please.
The following 2 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
KEPetersen (12-13-2022), very green R (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:22 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

IL- Pete
Appreciate your explanation in the differences of the models and road vs track driving for different models. Your logic and decisions are very good. Good plan going forward.

Is all your track time at Autobahn CC? Do you know off hand if there any Porsche events there coming up in 2023? Is it only at a Track Day that one can drive around the circuit? Or is there something with less time and not all out, such as parade laps that allow some higher speed on the straight but without the danger of newbies on the track hitting each other?
Yes, all of my track time this year was at Autobahn. They have many events over the course of the year that are hosted by third parties, such as PCA DE days. They did a PCA DE day September 1 this year - I was registered, but I ended up not attending because it was really cold that day. (High of 41 degrees low 30's in the morning.)

Basically most days one of the two tracks is open for members, and the other is rented out. For three three day weekends per year and one Friday per month, they do the Full Track for the members, which is pretty epic.

With regards to the question of "Or is there something with less time and not all out, such as parade laps that allow some higher speed on the straight but without the danger of newbies on the track hitting each other?" Yes, there are a couple of scenarios where that sort of thing is possible. Feel free to PM me and we can chat offline more about that.
The following users liked this post:
very green R (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:24 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
The GT4 Manual is just over $100K less than the GT4 RS, $157K versus $260K.
Really, if you want the top Cayman than you have to hold your nose, and pay the stupid premium.

No doubt a "regular" GT4 for $100k less is a much better value proposition IMO.
AlexCeres (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

The GT4 Manual is just over $100K less than the GT4 RS, $157K versus $260K.
Isn't it more like $42.6k base MSRP to base MSRP. Per LC's poll there are a lot of members not paying ADM.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
...the steering is incredible. So, in my order of enjoyment of the car, the steering may have moved up to 1st place. With the engine sound now in 2nd place, and the engine power to 3rd place....
Can you elaborate on what are your "first place" for sound and first/second for power?

I'm sure if your posts were all back-to-back, this might be evident, but I scrolled around and didn't see it....
Old 12-12-2022, 06:23 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Isn't it more like $42.6k base MSRP to base MSRP. Per LC's poll there are a lot of members not paying ADM.
My understanding of the poll regarding those paying $0 ADM is that they are either 918 VIPs or because of the multiple new Porsche's they have purchased, along with trading in their old Porsches at a very favorable price to the dealer's advantage.

In my talking to a GT4RS owner I met in person he said he paid 0 ADM on the GT4RS because the dealer always tekes his trade in at a below market price. So he felt like he has already paid the ADM based on the long relationship doing this with his dealer.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:49 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Can you elaborate on what are your "first place" for sound and first/second for power?

I'm sure if your posts were all back-to-back, this might be evident, but I scrolled around and didn't see it....
Surely, thats OK I live in my own world sometimes, so no worries.

To eleborate, the singular thing about the GT4RS that I feel is head and shoulders ahead of any Porsche (I have ever driven) and any other car I have ever driven is the steering feel and responsiveness. Because it so much better, and because steering is tactile, in your hands, and used all the time, I moved it up to 1st place and my favorite thing I like about the 4RS.

Yes, the sound is still in the top 3, but truly, I did not get to experience the furious sound that everyone talks about until I completed my breakin period and ran the car up to max rpms. It is there and it sounds good, but only sounds insane at the track or if you hold a lower gear in manual mode.

And, the engine - for Porsche the power is amazing. But, truly, most other cars in this class have powerful engines so it is not that special in relation to other marque brands. But to have a Cayman with power on demand is truly awesome, finally and thank you Porsche. But because you don't use most of the power most of the time, I rank it 3rd on my top 3 things I love about the 4RS. Feel #1, Sound #2, Power #3.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 12-13-2022 at 10:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
993RR (12-12-2022), very green R (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

My understanding of the poll regarding those paying $0 ADM is that they are either 918 VIPs or because of the multiple new Porsche's they have purchased, along with trading in their old Porsches at a very favorable price to the dealer's advantage.

In my talking to a GT4RS owner I met in person he said he paid 0 ADM on the GT4RS because the dealer always tekes his trade in at a below market price. So he felt like he has already paid the ADM based on the long relationship doing this with his dealer.
No dealer will give 'market price' for trade-in because that would force them into a losing situation; selling the car for 'above market'.

How those final numbers are interpreted is up to the individual.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Surely, thats OK I live in my own world sometimes, so no worries.

To eleborate, the singular think about the GT4RS that I feel is head and shoulders ahead of any Porsche (I have ever driven) and any other car I have ever driven is the steering feel and responsiveness. Because it so much better, and because steering is tactile, in your hands, and used all the time, I moved it up to 1st place and my favorite thing I like about the 4RS.

Yes, the sound is still in the top 3, but truly, I did not get to experience the furious sound that everyone talks about until I completed my breakin period and ran the car up to max rpms. It is there and it sounds good, but only sounds insane at the track or if you hold a lower gear in manual mode.

And, the engine - for Porsche the power is amazing. But, truly, most other cars in this class have powerful engines so it is not that special in relation to other marque brands. But to have a Cayman with power on demand is truly awesome, finally and thank you Porsche. But because you don't use most of the power most of the time, I rank it 3rd on my top 3 things I love about the 4RS. Feel #1, Sound #2, Power #3.
Got it! With some of the recent discussion of the EVO rankings and comparisons to Scuds/Speciale's, I was thinking you might have meant more specific car rankings, but I with you now! I think my personal perspective might be similar... The 4RS is unlikely to blow me away with raw power coming from a trio of Turbos, but it's they vehicle dynamics for fast canyon and light track that I'm looking most forward to... And it's been a while since I've had a high redline NA car as well, definitely looking forward to that.

Last edited by pfbz; 12-12-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:03 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, this basically 100% nets out my ongoing dilemma, exactly! Nice to see I am not the only one struggling with that.

I have had the 718 in a Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual, Boxster GTS 4.0 Manual (Boxster 25) and GT4 in a PDK, for a total of 30,000 miles over the last two years. I love the GT4 (much more than the GTS 4.0's!) but miss the Manual.

I had secured a GT4 RS allocation a couple of weeks ago (with a beefy $75K ADM). After sleeping on it over a weekend, I realized I really wanted a Manual. So then I secured a GT4 allocation (at a more liveable $22.5K ADM), and ordered that, and canceled the GT4 RS order with the other dealer. The GT4 Manual is just over $100K less than the GT4 RS, $157K versus $260K.

I also passed on a GT3 (Winged) allocation a few weeks ago, at a $75K ADM, so total coast would have been around $270K. I would have done a Manual for that. I know the GT3 is a big step up in engine and suspension, but I have the same opinion with regards to the bloated size, in both looks and in feel, relative to the GT4. I have driven the 992 GT3 on the track at PEC ATL, as well as a Carrera S Manual there, and a Carrera GTS (both RWD and AWD versions) on my local track. I have also driven the 992s fairly extensively on the street, including a complete weekend Turo Rental for 200 miles. I find that the 992's are fairly uninspiring relative to the 718 4.0's until you push them at higher speeds, and then they become great fun and very capable, but tough to do that on the street. The GT3 is in a completely different league as the Carreras, but still I found that to be big feeling and looking, and only very inspiring once pushed harder at higher speeds.

The 718 4.0's have been great fun for me at legalish speeds on the street, and I did 88 track sessions in the Boxster 25 and the GT4 this year, they were both fantastic on the track.

It is tough to justify a $100K premium for a GT4 RS or GT3, over a Manual GT4. at least for me.

I will do the Deman Shorter Gear Ratios immediately from delivery for my incoming GT4 Manual. I think the will make that amazing 4.0 Manuals that I have loved even more amazing!

Disclaimer: I haven't ruled out the potential of in the future of getting a GT4 RS or a GT3. (Or Spyder RS.) The above is my plan at least going into 2023.
I have a 4RS and 992 GT3. GT3 all day on manual alone. Thats just my opinion, for pure driving enjoyment on the street nothing beats a 3rd pedal and stick. Can’t wait for the track with the 4RS.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:01 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Wibs
I have a 4RS and 992 GT3. GT3 all day on manual alone. Thats just my opinion, for pure driving enjoyment on the street nothing beats a 3rd pedal and stick. Can’t wait for the track with the 4RS.
Is it true the GT4rs beats you up around town (more so than say a 991.2 3rs) and the noise is a bit excessive for a daily?

I thought the 991.2 3rs was totally fine as far as sound goes....wasn't the easiest to take calls in but it was totally livable imo
Old 12-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Sklambda
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
Is it true the GT4rs beats you up around town (more so than say a 991.2 3rs) and the noise is a bit excessive for a daily?

I thought the 991.2 3rs was totally fine as far as sound goes....wasn't the easiest to take calls in but it was totally livable imo
The ride is just fine under normal driving under 6k but I don’t live in the city with lots of potholes. Noise level ride is all very livable. I put 650 miles so far!!
welikethetrack (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 09:48 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack

Seems in comparison to my other/previous GT cars, obviously intake noise is louder but no problem to drive at lower volume as needed, just keep at low rpm.

My previous cars with no valve aftermarket exhausts seemed to be harder to control volume then a stock 4RS.
welikethetrack (12-12-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 10:25 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sklambda
The ride is just fine under normal driving under 6k but I don’t live in the city with lots of potholes. Noise level ride is all very livable. I put 650 miles so far!!
Agree. Porsche really made a car with 2 distinct personalities. Very easy to drive around town. And, very easy to drive at the limit on the track.

As for as a street car, the sound and firmness is really not an issue at all. The only issues I've observed around town are; getting in and out of LWBs, awareness and avoiding pulling into steeper driveways, headlights of SUVs at night in your mirrors, and obscured view of the rear due to the inperfect location of the wing. Note; I have not scraped a single time yet on the front spoiler so it is really is not that bad.

Regarding firmness, I had an X73 equipped 2015 Cayman GTS and I would say the 4RS is a similar ride, if not softer.
very green R (12-13-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 10:27 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,766 Likes on 884 Posts

Agree. Porsche really made a car with 2 distinct personalities. Very easy to drive around town. And, very easy to drive at the limit on the track.

As for as a street car, the sound and firmness is really not an issue at all. The only issues I've observed around town are; getting in and out of LWBs, awareness and avoiding pulling into steeper driveways, headlights of SUVs at night in your mirrors, and obscured view of the rear due to the inperfect location of the wing. Note; I have not scraped a single time yet on the front spoiler so it is really is not that bad.

Regarding firmness, I had an X73 equipped 2015 Cayman GTS and I would say the 4RS is a similar ride, if not softer.
Front lift or no front lift?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS