Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 11:22 AM
Jevi Javi
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Curious, how do these perform on track?

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
I have had several GT4RS customers switch over to Surface Transforms "ST" rotors for this exact reason. If you still want Carbon discs on your GT4RS after having to option iron brakes, this is the perfect solution for you. These will outperform the OE PCCB discs by every metric as shown below:
  • Lighter
  • Run Cooler
  • Last Longer
  • Refurbish 3-4x throughout their life
  • Much larger Pad selection (some guys even run their favorite iron pads with these on track)
  • Cost ~50% less than New PCCB discs
You also get to upgrade to the Pagid RSC pad lineup and avoid the risk of losing your factory warranty on your PCCB brakes. The Pagid RSC pads are fantastic on both the street and track.

I ship globally and I am running a great sale on ST rotors and Pagid pads through Thursday 12/1/22, PM or email for the best pricing!
Old 11-29-2022, 03:17 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Jevi Javi
Curious, how do these perform on track?
Many others can attest that these perform fantastically on track as it is what they were originally designed for. As mentioned above, these run cooler and last longer. Stopping distances will really come down to tire and brake pad compound if compared to PCCBs in that regard. The increased longevity, refurb service, lower temps, and reduced costs are what is key here. The cooler temps will also help keep your calipers from discoloring and will allow your pads to last longer. ST rotors are an absolute no-brainer for anyone who wants to track their car on carbon discs, or anyone who currently has iron rotors and wants to make the switch. Many other exotic car manufacturers use ST rotors as OE fitment on their cars, from Koenigsegg's to the Aston Martin Valkyrie.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
GrantG (11-29-2022), Mr. Adair (12-01-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 04:26 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
The 4RS had a stop order on PCCB this year....know several 4RS that customers had to take the steel brakes if they wanted to keep their allocation.
Confirmed

Was just at dealer doing paperwork and he showed me that as of 11-26-2022 PCCB's are stop sale. My order was accepted by PAG on the 25th with PCCB's.

In the time my order was accepted and actual delivery... the stop order may be gone and back several times. I'm okay if it ends up not being available before locking, just have to change some other things on the build that were focused on yellow accents.

Last edited by HooosierDaddy; 11-29-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:09 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
Confirmed
Was just at dealer doing paperwork and he showed me that as of 11-26-2022 PCCB's are stop sale. My order was accepted by PAG on the 25th with PCCB's.
In the time my order was accepted and actual delivery... the stop order may be gone and back several times. I'm okay if it ends up not being available before locking, just have to change some other things on the build that were focused on yellow accents.
I locked on 11/23 with option 450 intact... Presumably that will hold through production.

I know it is far from absolute, but PCCB still shows on the "Build your Porsche" site (US). In the past other options (e: PDLS+) were quickly removed from the configurator when they became unavailable. I wouldn't be thrilled to loose PCCB, but at a minimum I'd want to also remove some of the other yellow details if the brakes went red irons, specifically yellow pulls and the lighted (yellow) sills.
The following 2 users liked this post by pfbz:
HooosierDaddy (11-29-2022), very green R (12-01-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 06:12 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Many others can attest that these perform fantastically on track as it is what they were originally designed for. As mentioned above, these run cooler and last longer. Stopping distances will really come down to tire and brake pad compound if compared to PCCBs in that regard. The increased longevity, refurb service, lower temps, and reduced costs are what is key here. The cooler temps will also help keep your calipers from discoloring and will allow your pads to last longer. ST rotors are an absolute no-brainer for anyone who wants to track their car on carbon discs, or anyone who currently has iron rotors and wants to make the switch. Many other exotic car manufacturers use ST rotors as OE fitment on their cars, from Koenigsegg's to the Aston Martin Valkyrie.
I have them on my 3rs and they are amazing. Not sure if they are any better in performance on track than PCCB but the peace of mind is worth it for me.

They aren’t available for 4rs as of yet. I’m waiting patiently as I have steels, which are actually amazing too. I am running rs29’s. Changing really for mass reduction for improved ride and a lot to do with brake dust which is insane!!
The following users liked this post:
TDT (11-30-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 06:18 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,767 Likes on 884 Posts

What's better for a place like Road America, with high speed straights, followed by slow turns, which seems to eat rotors in my heavy Targa...…..ST's w/OEM Ceramic Calipers, AP racing kit, or PFC's?
Would be for a GT4rs....

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 11-29-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:19 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spyder75
I have them on my 3rs and they are amazing. Not sure if they are any better in performance on track than PCCB but the peace of mind is worth it for me.

They aren’t available for 4rs as of yet. I’m waiting patiently as I have steels, which are actually amazing too. I am running rs29’s. Changing really for mass reduction for improved ride and a lot to do with brake dust which is insane!!
The GT4RS Replacement kits are 6-8 weeks out. The GT4RS Upgrade Kits are looking like February time frame, just got an update this morning from ST.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:25 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
What's better for a place like Road America, with high speed straights, followed by slow turns, which seems to eat rotors in my heavy Targa...…..ST's w/OEM Ceramic Calipers, AP racing kit, or PFC's?
  • How many events/year are you doing at Road America?
  • How many street miles?
  • Are you on iron brakes currently?
  • What year is your Targa?
Old 11-29-2022, 06:29 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

• How many events/year are you doing at Road America?
  • How many street miles?
  • Are you on iron brakes currently?
  • What year is your Targa?
This would be for a GT4rs.
So maybe phrased another way...For a track like Road America, with high speed straights, followed by low speed turns, whats the best approach for a GT4rs for rotor longevity:
Order base brakes and replace with AP track kit (full caliper replacement)
Order base brakes and replace with PFC kit
Order base brakes and replace rotors with SP
Order ceramic brakes and replace rotors with SP
Figure 8-10 RA track days/year

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 11-29-2022 at 06:47 PM.
very green R (11-30-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So maybe phrased another way...For a track like Road America, with high speed straights, followed by low speed turns, whats the best approach for a GT4rs for rotor longevity:
Do you care about noise or dust? Do you plan to drive it on the street alot? Stock Wheels or Aftermarket/Track Wheels?
For dual-use, the new AP kits with wider calipers are great. You can run stock wheels with spacers and then run the DS2500 compound for the street and the DS3.12 or DS1.11 for the track.

If mainly a track car and don't care about noise or dust, I would recommend the PFC kit. You can run 18" wheels with these (assuming clearance on GT4RS rear suspension/toe arms) and up to 28mm thick pads. I run this kit on my Cayman S (slower car, yes) at RA last season (20+ days) on 1 set of PFC 11 pads and rotors. That car while slower still sees 140mph 3 times a lap at RA. Their Forged calipers are stiffer, which allows them to run a lighter disc as well compared to others for less rotating mass. The calipers are only ~6lbs as well.

If you want to run carbon discs, the ST rotors can be used with cars originally equipped with either iron or PCCB calipers. They offer 2 kits with different hardware and spacers to accomplish this. The pad shapes fit in both calipers. The discs themselves are the same. You can then spec the car how you want and always change your mind later. If will street drive the car alot and hate noise and brake dust. I would go the ST route with Pagid pads. If you are real with yourself and think you may really only do a handful of track days per year with the car, then stick with the stock PCCBs. If you choose iron you can always upgrade to a 2-piece disc from PFC, Girodisc, or AP-Racing. All of these will be great upgrades on track over stock.

Need to know a bit more about your specific needs to tailor a solution for you. Lots of options here but it really comes down to what you really value most, how the car will really be used, and what your budget is. Happy to talk a length about this if you'd like.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
TDT (11-30-2022), very green R (11-30-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 06:56 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Do you care about noise or dust? Do you plan to drive it on the street alot? Stock Wheels or Aftermarket/Track Wheels?

Need to know a bit more about your specific needs to tailor a solution for you. Lots of options here but it really comes down to what you really value most, how the car will really be used, and what your budget is. Happy to talk a length about this if you'd like.
Great, I'll email you later and stop my brake questions here! Thanks for the info!
Old 11-29-2022, 07:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Order base brakes and replace rotors with SP
I would say order stock Iron brakes for any of the options above, unless 1 or more of the following is true:

1. You think you can sell the unused PCCB rotors for more than the PCCB option price, plus sales tax, and the extra cost of insuring and registering a more expensive version of the car.

2. You think replacing the unused PCCB rotors on your car at the time of sale will net you a higher sales price that is larger than the cost of PCCB option price, plus sales tax, and the extra cost of insuring and registering a more expensive version of the car.

3. You intend to run the stock calipers and really want Yellow.
very green R (11-30-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 10:38 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
Confirmed

I may be in the same boat with PCCB? With the last change I made to a interior color on Nov 22, then TYD updated to show my order was created on Nov 22, with a freeze date of Nov 18, so status V210, all the while my SA states my order still has not locked. He is unclear why it has still not locked by Porsche. Perhaps it is because the availabilty of PCCB is unclear? Does this seem likely?
HooosierDaddy (11-30-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 11:30 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Regarding the rear tow hook / license plate dilemma for US spec'd vehicles. The dilemma being the choice between having the plate de-installed each time on track, or going without a rear tow hook pre-installed. May have a workable solution - using a 981 Clubsport OMP rear tow strap. The license plate does not lay completely flush but I think it is a reasonable solution. If needed for an emergency tow, I suspect it would bend the top of the plate. But in such case, that would be the least of your problems!

Last edited by matttheboatman; 11-30-2022 at 12:03 AM.
NastyHabits (12-04-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:24 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Regarding the rear tow hook / license plate dilemma for US spec'd vehicles. The dilemma being the choice between having the plate de-installed each time on track, or going without a rear tow hook pre-installed. May have a workable solution - using a 981 Clubsport OMP rear tow strap. The license plate does not lay completely flush but I think it is a reasonable solution. If needed for an emergency tow, I suspect it would bend the top of the plate. But in such case, that would be the least of your problems!
Not exactly a new problem... Porsche has been putting the rear tow hook threads behind the license plate at least since my 2001 911 Turbo... Not that big of a deal. Most just drill a hole in the plate that lines up with the threads.. On standard six-character generic plates, the hole is right between the two groups of three.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS