Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,293 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Until I hear otherwise, PDK only.
Agree that GT4RS will be PDK only.

Originally Posted by horns
475-480hp is going to step all over the toes of the reigning GT3, and is a huge jump that would be out of character for non-RS to RS relationship. For the select few that meet the criteria, those numbers would be very sweet. They will have to spin the engine to get there, so will it borrow more GT3 goodies to get there?
Chris is right the majority of the time, but I highly doubt we are going to see a 480hp GT4RS. That is way too close to the 991.2 GT3, and most importantly, it is completely out of character for the RS to non RS relationship, and it means the next GT4 would have to be at least much HP at the GT4RS and Porsche doesn't like to pigeonhole themselves like that. Just look at the 991 RS models. Those RS models were just 25 and 20hp more than the GT3. Why would the GT4RS suddenly be 65hp more than the GT4?????? For all of those reasons, I would wager money than the GT4RS won't exceed 450hp.

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
GT4rs sounds very intriguing.
However, with GT3's dropping in price, that window between new GT4, used GT3's, becomes pretty tight, for a GT4rs to slide into
Debating 450-500hp, with 450 probably closer to reality, why would you go GT4rs instead of used GT3?
Example, $140k for 500hp and PDK, here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1188571#post16549462
Agree with this. Unless you just have to spec your own car, a 991.2 GT3 would be a better car and better deal than a GT4RS. .2 GT3 has a true race engine, true dry sump, much more torque, much better rear multi-link suspension, etc.

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
I might be in the minority here, but unless Porsche really steps up, adding PDK, slightly less weight, more aero and more HP on the car won't do it for me.

Would rather have 440-445ps (in other words, no expensive engine internals) with a real rear suspension (multi-link) and an e-LSD (to put the available power to the ground efficiently), with PDK-S (shorter ratios than the regular 718 PDK), and NO CL wheels. Sadly it doesn't look to be the case based on the 4-15-20 video posted by Methanol
Agree that a proper multi-link rear suspension is more valuable than a bit more HP. Would be unfortunate if the GT4RS has CL wheels (just for marketing purposes).

I would hope they'd give the GT4RS an e-LSD and PDK-S with shorter ratios. Would be pathetic if the GT4RS is just a slightly tuned engine and more aero.......(however that is really all that separates a GT3RS from a GT3)
Old 04-17-2020, 04:07 PM
-Methanol-
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

gt4 spyder and rs all pdk
Old 04-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by -Methanol-
GT4 RS with CLs?
Old 04-17-2020, 05:07 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by -Methanol-
https://youtu.be/YZz43p1Zowk

Can someone please tell me what calipers that Black "gt4RS" has???? They are not black, red or Yellow.....kind of look like silver...hmmmmmm
Old 04-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Can someone please tell me what calipers that Black "gt4RS" has???? They are not black, red or Yellow.....kind of look like silver...hmmmmmm
Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB) have white brake callipers.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:24 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Porsche Surface Coated Brake (PSCB) have white brake callipers.
I took another look at the video on my PC and they are red calipers......do we get a brake choice on the 4RS?
Old 04-17-2020, 07:07 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I took another look at the video on my PC and they are red calipers......do we get a brake choice on the 4RS?
Yes, for some reason the video accentuates the white PORSCHE lettering on the calipers when indeed they are red.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree that a proper multi-link rear suspension is more valuable than a bit more HP. Would be unfortunate if the GT4RS has CL wheels (just for marketing purposes).

I would hope they'd give the GT4RS an e-LSD and PDK-S with shorter ratios. Would be pathetic if the GT4RS is just a slightly tuned engine and more aero.......(however that is really all that separates a GT3RS from a GT3)
(1) Agreed - the 4RS must have multilink rear suspension - the current GT4 high speed ride over rough pavement doesn't cut it now and wont cut it in the future
(2) Agreed the 4RS will need shorter gearing and electronically controlled torque vectoring
(3) Disagree with the GT3 GT3RS analogy - the RS is very different and drives very differently to the GT3 - pretty much everything is different (list off the top of my head - body different RS at least one inch wider, more HP, more torque across the curve, higher peak HP and higher HP across the driveable curve, shorter gearing - final ratio 4.188:1, wider front track by nearly 4cm, wider rear track by about .5 cm, front fenders and frunk lid are carbon fibre, naca ducts for aero and brake cooling, magnesium roof, gorilla glass, different front facia and spliter, vents in fender to lower pressure, larger rear wing - in fact total aero delivers twice the down force of the GT3, larger wheels and tires, suspension fully rose jointed, light springs on front with helper springs (spring rates front and rear significantly different, anti roll bar rates significantly different), magnesium wheels etc). The RS doesn't drive like a GT3 and at the limit its clearly in a different league
(4) the question for Porsche is will they step up to the plate and make a true GT4 RS in the tradition of the GT3 RS - simply adding HP without a significant lift in mid-range torque doesn't cut it.

I had high hopes for the 718 GT4...........the final product is good but hasn't really moved the game on to the degree I and many others would have hoped. I have a feeling we will be disappointed by the 4RS - I hope I'm wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
Apollo Falcon (04-18-2020), GTChamp (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 10:04 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I personally feel the level of performance will go up due to the new c8 corvette. For under 60k anything that looses to it for over double the money would be an embarrassment and bad press. People aren’t buying cars this year. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they decide to offer a detuned GT3 engine. The new GT3 would probably see a power bump perhaps a newer Engine version which would probably have more power. I hope it was rear suspension as the GT3
The following 2 users liked this post by gtr:
Apollo Falcon (04-18-2020), JSF101 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

I had high hopes for the 718 GT4...........the final product is good but hasn't really moved the game on to the degree I and many others would have hoped. I have a feeling we will be disappointed by the 4RS - I hope I'm wrong.
I'll pay to play if the rear suspension is done up to par for an RS...for the money, there should be no reason Porsche doesn't do the job right. I too have a feeling I'll be disappointed in this aspect.

Originally Posted by gtr
I personally feel the level of performance will go up due to the new c8 corvette. For under 60k anything that looses to it for over double the money would be an embarrassment and bad press. People aren’t buying cars this year. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they decide to offer a detuned GT3 engine. The new GT3 would probably see a power bump perhaps a newer Engine version which would probably have more power. I hope it was rear suspension as the GT3
I'd love for this. Truly. But I am doubtful. However, I think you are right with the C8 competition. I hope that Porsche at least makes the GT4 RS to the maximum potential. With limited numbers and price, it will only scratch the itch of some very particular Porsche customers/drivers with money to still spend in this economy...so it better be good for a likely 150k price tag (with options).
Old 04-18-2020, 07:05 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

I hate to say it but the 718 GT4 was a big disappointment for me. I am in the very small camp that was hoping for a high HP 2.5T to truly elevate its performance. Same applies to the GT4 RS which will also use the 4.0l when it could have been a mini GT2 RS.

But at the risk of being completely contrary, I think the 718 Spyder is pretty much spot on. It’s a car that has much clearer idea of what it wants to be. It’s one of the best cars in the Porsche range.
The following 5 users liked this post by Chris3963:
FazedChicken (04-20-2020), Mash (04-18-2020), tthellott T (04-18-2020), Vgj (12-02-2021), Westcoast (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 07:10 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,766 Likes on 884 Posts

Saw a couple 718 GT4 photos on Instagram.... It looks pretty darn good and better than the prior generation...

Old 04-18-2020, 08:42 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

But at the risk of being completely contrary, I think the 718 Spyder is pretty much spot on. It’s a car that has much clearer idea of what it wants to be. It’s one of the best cars in the Porsche range.
I agree with you - in the case of the Spyder, which is a pure thrills and spills road car. It’s unashamedly unique and isn’t trying to be a race car for the road. Everything feels right about this car - it meets and perhaps exceeds expectations. A genuine joyous experience.

The three current picks for me as road cars are the Spyder and Boxster GTS 4L and the Cayman GTS 4l with PDK. So far the 992 lineup is the broad equivalent of Audi RS or AMG xyz - same recipe = leather interior - twin turbo charged power plant - same yawn.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-18-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:59 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I agree with you - in the case of the Spyder, which is a pure thrills and spills road car. It’s unashamedly unique and isn’t trying to be a race car for the road. Everything feels right about this car - it meets and perhaps exceeds expectations. A genuine joyous experience.

The three current picks for me as road cars are the Spyder and Boxster GTS 4L and the Cayman GTS 4l with PDK. So far the 992 lineup is the broad equivalent of Audi RS or AMG xyz - same recipe = leather interior - twin turbo charged power plant - same yawn.
I have money down on a Spyder but prob wont get one till fall winter, what if this RS comes out what do I do!!! They do seem like very different cars though too. Maybe for a first they wont put a PDK in a RS? Could that ever happen?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:23 AM
Apollo Falcon
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothengineer
I have money down on a Spyder but prob wont get one till fall winter, what if this RS comes out what do I do!!! They do seem like very different cars though too. Maybe for a first they wont put a PDK in a RS? Could that ever happen?
IMO the RS would only come in PDK, hopefully PDK-S. Based on AP and the GT department comments, the RS moniker is for a track scalpel and built to shave any time possible. In this regard, the MT doesn't make sense in a GT4 RS, especially since some GT4 owners may be pissed (maybe). This way if you are a GT4 owner you can feel good because if you are a die-hard MT driver, there is no other better current mid-engine Porsche with a MT. For me, I have my 911 Carrera T in the garage, so the only thing that excites me right now is this GT4 RS if it has the right rear suspension and PDK-S. For me, I'd rather keep my 911 on the street and this potential GT4 RS for the track and hill country.

The Spyder though is a super special car. If I didn't have a T, I'd probably have a different combo garage. For example, the Spyder for my daily and a 991.2 GT3 (or 3RS) for track. But I'm in love with the T and don't want two 911s (just me).
The following users liked this post:
Toothengineer (04-19-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS