Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 03:45 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

True, road only, and the reviewer’s complaint was just about entirely about the stiffness, lack of lumbar support and skittishness on regulsr roads. I have no first hand experience of any of that because my only time in one so far has been on the track. On a small circuit with the revs in the normal range for track use and the windows up as is done the sound pulsing my outboard ear was very uncomfotable despite a helmet with in-built ear muffs for an intercom. I would not say it was painful, but it was not comfortable and the volume made the intercom useless. Earplugs on the track would make sense.

The owner noted that the volume was much less on the street at lower revs and he preferred the street to the track for that car. I don’t think he had much time in it so far, so I will wait to see what he thinks later. The roads here are not smooth and the fun ones are rather rough—think rally stages.

I got on a list for this car at the same time as I did for my 981 GT4, and I got one of the early GT4s. Still thinking about the 4RS….
The following users liked this post:
zbbb0730 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 05:36 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
4 actually.

Hehe, I don't have a choice in the 918. On my 991.1 GT3RS, I was still young, and the seats are mostly fine. 911R, it completes the look, and it was still mostly fine during the European delivery, all ~3000km. But limitation starts showing, it was a gymnastic exercise to fit stuff to the back. After that was the GT2RS, I was still clinging onto the believe that even with just 3 point, the buckets is the way to go for driving feel, Another ~3000km Euro delivery miles with Nurburgring thrown in. Same limitations with the 911R for accessing the back cavity. It also gets old real quick when the side blade of the bucket gets in the way for getting in and out of the car, especially when one try to get in and out of the car multiple times a day for 2 weeks straight. The back angle is also just off, I need a small cushion right at the lower base to support my back for long drive, which I did use in my 918 during my 37hr drive from Vancouver the Indianapolis earlier in the year.

It's not until I get the car back, onto my track, that I realized the 'feel' bit is much overrated. Back to back on track with a GT2RS and a turbo S, both 3 point belt and one has buckets one has properly adjusted 18 way. There was minimal, if any, holding difference. Neither provide enough support anyways compared to the Racaro race bucket with 6 point in my race car.

My incoming GT4RS is ordered with 18-way, so is my Dakar and my just ordered 992 GT3RS. Porsche needs new bucket design and once they do, I will try again. But I am not getting any younger so the appeal of being considered 'hardcore', 'manly', isn't close to the top of the list, comfort is.

Of course seats are a personal preference, different people have different ideas of what's acceptable, just like how suspension tuning is. Some people may think a really stiff car is fine on bumpy streets, others don't.

The current buckets is already one of the best Porsche every made, they are still fine for 'weekend' car, it's only when someone really daily their cars is when it's not the best. Acceptable, but the 18 way will be better suited for dailies.
So the myth of 918 VIP customers is very real😅

Just out of curiosity: 1) Does Porsche advance you and other VIP’s long prior to the public knowing of future models to see if you want a car, or do you have to reach out to them? 2) Have you ever been offered a future model and turned it down? 3) When time comes to sell, is it processed through your dealer when the new metal comes, or do you sell through other channels? Privately perhaps?

As for seats, being a “VIP-second hand market customer”🤣 having owned 11 911’s, a Taycan, a Cayenne and a GT4RS, my butt really enjoys the carbon buckets in the GT4RS and I sat perfectly comfortable in them on my 1340km trip home from taking delivery of the car. The 18-ways in the Taycan gave me a sore behind if I somewhat slouched in them needing to sit back in perfect to avoid this. The 18-ways in the Carrera T were sublime, probably due to its cloth seating surface. 18-way in the 997.1 we’re just fine, albeit not Carrera T level, but I actually sat more comfortable in the 4-way seats in the 997.2 and they were exquisite to get in and out of. The sport seats in the 964 lack a bit lumbar support and I have to roll out of when exiting the car due to the high bolsters. The normal comfort seats in the 993 were probably the pick of the bunch for daily driving, looking aside the incredible 14-way sofas of my Cayenne which is one of the best seats I’ve sat in car in, and they’re of course very easy getting in and out of the car Due to the height of the thing. The nomex Recaros in the 996.2 GT3CS made my *** bleed, and on the 3500km trip to Nürburgring I had to use padding to survive, but funnily enough on day 3 & 4 driving down you started wanting for more of that sado-masochistic experience🤣

Bottom line, buckets or sofas aren’t a given from model to model. In a GT4RS, which isn’t a car for dailying in, I would never consider 18-ways. I guess you have another car for that…

Last edited by Odin; 12-09-2022 at 06:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Odin:
very green R (12-09-2022), zbbb0730 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 07:49 AM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheNut454
FAL 100% all day must have option on the 4RS.

Makes world of a difference.

You can see how much it raises it compared to no FAL. It’s a good inch and a quarter.
Can you do a side-by-side comparison?
Old 12-09-2022, 07:57 AM
ZaGT4
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

The back angle is also just off, I need a small cushion right at the lower base to support my back for long drive, which I did use in my 918 during my 37hr drive from Vancouver the Indianapolis earlier in the year.
Originally Posted by Adrift
Hey @Whoopsy , have you looked into those LWBS (front) risers that kick back the seat angle a bit? Might help. I got mine from Autoquest, and they don’t have an impact until you raise the seat. I assume the 918 has the same LWBS seat raise function as spyders / gt4s. You probably know all this already, but I thought I would check.
I don't dislike the LWBS, but there is something better, and that is 18 way sofas, which I cannot get int the 918. Heck, if they tilt the seat back another 5-10 degrees it would have been more bearable in the 918.
For a little more comfort and lower back support in the LWBS, instead of or in addition to a small cushion, try some brackets that lifts the front of the seat to tilt it backwards. Some use them also to get more helmet clearance/head angled up not banging into the seat..

https://www.trackspecauto.com/parts/ts001

With these brackets, my LWBS in the GT4 are perfect also for very long drives. I do not miss any adjustments or support. If it was my daily, I would if course reconsider LWBS, but purely for easier in/out which is just a small routine, but in cramped parkings not ideal when the door can't be opened too wide...

They tilt the seat independent of seat hight, contrary to the Autoquest ones.

Last edited by ZaGT4; 12-09-2022 at 08:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZaGT4:
Kermit_the_Frog (12-09-2022), zbbb0730 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:58 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaGT4
For a little more comfort and lower back support in the LWBS, instead of or in addition to a small cushion, try some brackets that lifts the front of the seat to tilt it backwards. Some use them also to get more helmet clearance/head angled up not banging into the seat..

https://www.trackspecauto.com/parts/ts001

With these brackets, my LWBS in the GT4 are perfect also for very long drives. I do not miss any adjustments or support. If it was my daily, I would if course reconsider LWBS, but purely for easier in/out which is just a small routine, but in cramped parkings not ideal when the door can't be opened too wide...

They tilt the seat independent of seat hight, contrary to the Autoquest ones.

I use the TPC on all my LWBS....a must for the track and also like it for the road. These IMO offer a better more secure attachment in a worst case (accident). They are a bit harder to install as you have to take out the seat.
The following 3 users liked this post by jmartpr:
lovetoturn (12-09-2022), ZaGT4 (12-09-2022), zbbb0730 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 03:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
So the myth of 918 VIP customers is very real😅
Haha what myth😂 There are some good 918 VIPs and like everything else there are the bad apples. But mostly the bad ones had bene kicked out a long time ago. My original selling dealer is part of a much larger group of dealers, I bought enough of everything to be a VIP with them even without the 918. The VIP affiliated dealer can also be switched. I did due to someone there tried to pull a fast one on me.

Just out of curiosity: 1) Does Porsche advance you and other VIP’s long prior to the public knowing of future models to see if you want a car, or do you have to reach out to them? 2) Have you ever been offered a future model and turned it down? 3) When time comes to sell, is it processed through your dealer when the new metal comes, or do you sell through other channels? Privately perhaps?
For some of us with connections, we know in advance what's coming, but Porsche doesn't advance notice the VIPs. They are just like everyone else and learn of new cars from announcements and such and then they proceed to place an order with their dealers and those orders get prioritized. Until some time ago, we get emails/phone calls asking do we wanted to take our allocations. Our allocations are also not 'bonus' cars. It comes out of the same pool to the dealers, it's just that they have to prioritized ours first. Maybe HQ will compensate or maybe not, it's not a given. And not all will take everything. Some of the early 918 VIPs did that and turn around and flip the cars quickly and those got kicked out ver quickly too. There are some flippers left but they are untouchables, aka dealer principals, they got a license to flip.

As for when the time comes to dispose of the cars, I do trade them back to the dealer. You scratch my back I scratch yours. We have a few dealers here so if one doesn't want to scratch my back I just go and scratch another. [/quote]

As for seats, being a “VIP-second hand market customer”🤣 having owned 11 911’s, a Taycan, a Cayenne and a GT4RS, my butt really enjoys the carbon buckets in the GT4RS and I sat perfectly comfortable in them on my 1340km trip home from taking delivery of the car. The 18-ways in the Taycan gave me a sore behind if I somewhat slouched in them needing to sit back in perfect to avoid this. The 18-ways in the Carrera T were sublime, probably due to its cloth seating surface. 18-way in the 997.1 we’re just fine, albeit not Carrera T level, but I actually sat more comfortable in the 4-way seats in the 997.2 and they were exquisite to get in and out of. The sport seats in the 964 lack a bit lumbar support and I have to roll out of when exiting the car due to the high bolsters. The normal comfort seats in the 993 were probably the pick of the bunch for daily driving, looking aside the incredible 14-way sofas of my Cayenne which is one of the best seats I’ve sat in car in, and they’re of course very easy getting in and out of the car Due to the height of the thing. The nomex Recaros in the 996.2 GT3CS made my *** bleed, and on the 3500km trip to Nürburgring I had to use padding to survive, but funnily enough on day 3 & 4 driving down you started wanting for more of that sado-masochistic experience🤣

Bottom line, buckets or sofas aren’t a given from model to model. In a GT4RS, which isn’t a car for dailying in, I would never consider 18-ways. I guess you have another car for that…
If I live in Europe and can have the factory cage with factory reinforcements, I would totally go with buckets and be driving to all the awesome tracks all the time. But I don't and great tracks over here are few and far in between, even GT cars are reduced to mostly city driving or weekend mountain blasting, the 18-way is good enough.

I am not a big guy, those 14-ways and below seats are too wide for me, I slide in them, hence why 18-way for me is a must as I can bring the side bolsters in all the way to hold me. My first Taycan was a 14-way, it wasn't even close to the 18-way I got in my second Taycan. Most comfortable 18-way would be the one in the Panamera turbo S. The ones in my Cayenne turbo S is a close tie with those in my Exclusive. The new ones in the 992 turbo S is also right up there. And yes, the Taycan 18-way ranked behind all of those.
The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
P-Car777 (07-03-2024), very green R (12-10-2022), ZaGT4 (12-09-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 12:22 AM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

GT4RS received the Top Gear Performance Car of the Year Award. Jump ahead to time stamp 11:25 to see the GT4RS part of the video.

The following 5 users liked this post by very green R:
BlazinPond (12-11-2022), DFW01TT (12-11-2022), Jevi Javi (12-12-2022), Juggy (12-11-2022), WirthO (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 03:52 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Name:  photo992.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  photo846.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  1.94 MB
AlexCeres (12-11-2022), antsjey (12-11-2022), Craig67 (12-11-2022), daaa nope (12-14-2022), gt3rs. (12-11-2022), IRM (12-11-2022), lovetoturn (12-12-2022), matttheboatman (12-11-2022), pfbz (12-11-2022), thuggo (12-11-2022), TRAKCAR (12-11-2022), usctrojanGT3 (12-11-2022), very green R (12-11-2022), WirthO (12-11-2022) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Porsche2014
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Stop teasing us. You are an evil person, LOL!
Old 12-11-2022, 10:28 AM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by very green R
GT4RS received the Top Gear Performance Car of the Year Award. Jump ahead to time stamp 11:25 to see the GT4RS part of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7b1NMOVOEs
Delete. I see it. Had the night filter on my computer!

Last edited by zbbb0730; 12-11-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
very green R
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

As I sit here and wait for my GT4RS to start being produced any day now I watch videos about it. I do not remember seeing this brief video on this forum yet.

It is nice to hear Chris Harris comment on how the GT4RS steering makes the Ferrari 296 GTB steering feel numb.

Odin (12-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 04:17 PM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

That white Clubsport!
sonorous (12-13-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 05:43 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

Looks like Sebring, hard to tell in those shots.. I was there Friday and Sat , did not see any . Were they on track ?

Plenty of clubsports , a few of us had a nice few laps together...

Cheers
Old 12-11-2022, 07:24 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
True, road only, and the reviewer’s complaint was just about entirely about the stiffness, lack of lumbar support and skittishness on regulsr roads. I have no first hand experience of any of that because my only time in one so far has been on the track. On a small circuit with the revs in the normal range for track use and the windows up as is done the sound pulsing my outboard ear was very uncomfotable despite a helmet with in-built ear muffs for an intercom. I would not say it was painful, but it was not comfortable and the volume made the intercom useless. Earplugs on the track would make sense.

The owner noted that the volume was much less on the street at lower revs and he preferred the street to the track for that car. I don’t think he had much time in it so far, so I will wait to see what he thinks later. The roads here are not smooth and the fun ones are rather rough—think rally stages.

I got on a list for this car at the same time as I did for my 981 GT4, and I got one of the early GT4s. Still thinking about the 4RS….

People just don't want to understand this car. It is not a daily driver, it is not an autobahn cruiser , it is a mean, angry, and raw present from Porsche to those who want something like that in their garage. This is a car for the .001 %.

These comparisons are a waste of time and only designed to sell subscriptions. Huyra v. 4 rs... , Mclaren xxx v. 4 RS ... , come on.

Actually, the 458 Speciale v. the 4 RS is a quasi legit comparison. Put them on track together and let them run...

I sold my last GT3 RS after 900 miles . The 4 RS is a keeper for me.

Happy Holidays All.

The following 6 users liked this post by IPSA:
AlexCeres (12-11-2022), FRIZ (12-11-2022), KLCC 88 (12-12-2022), Roarke (12-12-2022), TexasPorschelover (12-12-2022), twospyders (12-12-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-11-2022, 07:47 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
Looks like Sebring, hard to tell in those shots.. I was there Friday and Sat , did not see any . Were they on track ?

Plenty of clubsports , a few of us had a nice few laps together...

Cheers
Daytona it appears….

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS