Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 02:56 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
It pains me to see two RL enthusiasts talking past each other like this. Why don't you guys find a good bar on Galiano Island to grab a beer together? You are likely to find more in common than differences and everyone can enjoy their cars as they like.

My own view of LWBS is that in addition to looking cool and like they belong in the car, they are also comfortable, even for long drives. But that's my experience and I recognize it's not shared universally.

Enjoy the beer and send me the bill. : -)
Welcome to another Rennlist turf war. Effing ridiculous..
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
Odin (12-06-2022), Porsche2014 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 02:59 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Welcome to another Rennlist turf war. Effing ridiculous..
This one has been going around for years...LWBS vs Sofas, Iron vs PCCB, etc...…it's a personal choice with pros and cons.
The following 7 users liked this post by jmartpr:
78MartiniSC (12-07-2022), 993RR (12-06-2022), HelpMeHelpU (12-06-2022), KLCC 88 (12-06-2022), MechEngr1287 (12-11-2022), Mr. Adair (12-06-2022), Porsche2014 (12-07-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-06-2022, 04:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
As you quoted me, I will counter with, "In your opinion..." The bolded statements are not held by everyone, no roll cage so no LWBS... we all want to race our Porsche's so we need a roll cage... wow.

Just for looks, OK, sure whatever.

Curious why, if you despise them so much did it take you 3 cars to figure it out?
4 actually.

Hehe, I don't have a choice in the 918. On my 991.1 GT3RS, I was still young, and the seats are mostly fine. 911R, it completes the look, and it was still mostly fine during the European delivery, all ~3000km. But limitation starts showing, it was a gymnastic exercise to fit stuff to the back. After that was the GT2RS, I was still clinging onto the believe that even with just 3 point, the buckets is the way to go for driving feel, Another ~3000km Euro delivery miles with Nurburgring thrown in. Same limitations with the 911R for accessing the back cavity. It also gets old real quick when the side blade of the bucket gets in the way for getting in and out of the car, especially when one try to get in and out of the car multiple times a day for 2 weeks straight. The back angle is also just off, I need a small cushion right at the lower base to support my back for long drive, which I did use in my 918 during my 37hr drive from Vancouver the Indianapolis earlier in the year.

It's not until I get the car back, onto my track, that I realized the 'feel' bit is much overrated. Back to back on track with a GT2RS and a turbo S, both 3 point belt and one has buckets one has properly adjusted 18 way. There was minimal, if any, holding difference. Neither provide enough support anyways compared to the Racaro race bucket with 6 point in my race car.

My incoming GT4RS is ordered with 18-way, so is my Dakar and my just ordered 992 GT3RS. Porsche needs new bucket design and once they do, I will try again. But I am not getting any younger so the appeal of being considered 'hardcore', 'manly', isn't close to the top of the list, comfort is.

Of course seats are a personal preference, different people have different ideas of what's acceptable, just like how suspension tuning is. Some people may think a really stiff car is fine on bumpy streets, others don't.

The current buckets is already one of the best Porsche every made, they are still fine for 'weekend' car, it's only when someone really daily their cars is when it's not the best. Acceptable, but the 18 way will be better suited for dailies.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
Scrappy1972 (12-11-2022), SJJ28 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 04:36 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
It pains me to see two RL enthusiasts talking past each other like this. Why don't you guys find a good bar on Galiano Island to grab a beer together? You are likely to find more in common than differences and everyone can enjoy their cars as they like.

My own view of LWBS is that in addition to looking cool and like they belong in the car, they are also comfortable, even for long drives. But that's my experience and I recognize it's not shared universally.

Enjoy the beer and send me the bill. : -)
We are fine.

This is nothing compared to talking to Tesla cults

The following 2 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
HelpMeHelpU (12-06-2022), Porsche2014 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 04:43 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
@Whoopsy does have input from considerable experience.

Having LWB in a number GT cars and regular sport seats in one GT car. There is a big difference for track, the seats keep you more planted and supported. This varies by person I'm sure.

Then the other benefits a) aesthetic b) resale value c) special feel even for road (makes the car more eventful and differentiated d) lighter weight e) harness capable

I've never been in a real race seat, I'm sure those are leaps and bounds over LWB.
It's the holiday season! He is fine, he will learn. He is new, so likely he doesn't even know I am the one that broke the story of an incoming GT4RS here.

Actually, if 6 points are used, the buckets are really close to actual race buckets. The holding power comes from the seatbelts. If I strap you really tight onto a sheet of plywood, you can't move too

I have done plenty of LWB with 6 point in factory cars, in those situations, the seat works perfectly. That's how the seat was designed to be used in the first place.

When I track the 918, I also use the 6-point instead of the 3-point.

Last edited by Whoopsy; 12-06-2022 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Scrappy1972 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 05:20 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
It's the holiday season! He is fine, he will learn. He is new, so likely he doesn't even know I am the one that broke the story of an incoming GT4RS here.
I remember this post, from when you came back from the factory visit… ‘best thing that will come out of Weissach’ and at the time people were anticipating that you were referring to GT2 RS.

Can’t wait to see some pics of your car and read some of your impressions.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:20 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

4 actually.

Hehe, I don't have a choice in the 918. On my 991.1 GT3RS, I was still young, and the seats are mostly fine. 911R, it completes the look, and it was still mostly fine during the European delivery, all ~3000km. But limitation starts showing, it was a gymnastic exercise to fit stuff to the back. After that was the GT2RS, I was still clinging onto the believe that even with just 3 point, the buckets is the way to go for driving feel, Another ~3000km Euro delivery miles with Nurburgring thrown in. Same limitations with the 911R for accessing the back cavity. It also gets old real quick when the side blade of the bucket gets in the way for getting in and out of the car, especially when one try to get in and out of the car multiple times a day for 2 weeks straight. The back angle is also just off, I need a small cushion right at the lower base to support my back for long drive, which I did use in my 918 during my 37hr drive from Vancouver the Indianapolis earlier in the year.

It's not until I get the car back, onto my track, that I realized the 'feel' bit is much overrated. Back to back on track with a GT2RS and a turbo S, both 3 point belt and one has buckets one has properly adjusted 18 way. There was minimal, if any, holding difference. Neither provide enough support anyways compared to the Racaro race bucket with 6 point in my race car.

My incoming GT4RS is ordered with 18-way, so is my Dakar and my just ordered 992 GT3RS. Porsche needs new bucket design and once they do, I will try again. But I am not getting any younger so the appeal of being considered 'hardcore', 'manly', isn't close to the top of the list, comfort is.

Of course seats are a personal preference, different people have different ideas of what's acceptable, just like how suspension tuning is. Some people may think a really stiff car is fine on bumpy streets, others don't.

The current buckets is already one of the best Porsche every made, they are still fine for 'weekend' car, it's only when someone really daily their cars is when it's not the best. Acceptable, but the 18 way will be better suited for dailies.
I actually run a GT2 bucket for the driver seat and a standard seat for my wife! For me the side bolstering of the standard seat is fine, but my shoulders don't have enough unless I go to a bucket.

Will you use the GT3RS as a daily? Seems like a car that needs harnesses given the g-forces, but maybe you intend to swap in a real race seat for track.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:23 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 267 Posts

The ‘daily’ would be the Dakar from those on order listed above. Lol.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,708 Posts

As you quoted me, I will counter with, "In your opinion..." The bolded statements are not held by everyone, no roll cage so no LWBS... we all want to race our Porsche's so we need a roll cage... wow.

Just for looks, OK, sure whatever.

Curious why, if you despise them so much did it take you 3 cars to figure it out?
4 actually.

Thanks for taking the hi-road and providing the additional details and perspective, given the list of Porsches you just dropped, not to mention the list of incoming cars I wouldn't begin to challenge your decision to order the seats that you want!

My experiences thus far still leave me very happy that I chose the LWBS, and although I would not refer to the Spyder as a 'daily driver' since I am retired, they have been exemplary for all that I use my car for including numerous track days and even multiple 8-hour days during a road trip.

Beers anytime...
HooosierDaddy (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 07:16 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 784 Posts

I did use in my 918 during my 37hr drive from Vancouver the Indianapolis earlier in the year.
Holy crap, was that your super filthy 918 in the paddock at Sportscar Together? Strong work

Old 12-06-2022, 07:22 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This one has been going around for years...LWBS vs Sofas, Iron vs PCCB, etc...…it's a personal choice with pros and cons.
Agreed, was referring more the fact that it’s still going on!
Porsche2014 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 04:17 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Holy crap, was that your super filthy 918 in the paddock at Sportscar Together? Strong work

Yes that was me. I was asked did I want a car wash before I head into the paddock, I turned that down. My car isn't a garage queen. Pushing 30,000km and the car has visited 3 provinces and 14 states and counting. The big western states, not the Mickey Mouse baby states on the East Coast
The following 15 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
FASTRKMAN (12-08-2022), HooosierDaddy (12-07-2022), JAhmed (12-07-2022), KLCC 88 (12-07-2022), Knutsm01 (12-07-2022), Mojonito (12-08-2022), Porsche2014 (12-08-2022), rooster17 (12-07-2022), Scrappy1972 (12-11-2022), thuggo (12-08-2022), TRAKCAR (12-08-2022), vcp13 (12-07-2022), very green R (12-09-2022), Westcoast (12-07-2022), ZaGT4 (12-07-2022) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-07-2022, 04:24 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for taking the hi-road and providing the additional details and perspective, given the list of Porsches you just dropped, not to mention the list of incoming cars I wouldn't begin to challenge your decision to order the seats that you want!

My experiences thus far still leave me very happy that I chose the LWBS, and although I would not refer to the Spyder as a 'daily driver' since I am retired, they have been exemplary for all that I use my car for including numerous track days and even multiple 8-hour days during a road trip.

Beers anytime...
Oh come on, we all friends here. We share the love of Porsches. Might have differences in personal taste on options but can still stay civilized.

Btw, I booked myself for more LWBS punishment next year. I will be driving the 918 from Vancouver to Monterey and back for Rennsport Reunion. I don't dislike the LWBS, but there is something better, and that is 18 way sofas, which I cannot get int the 918. Heck, if they tilt the seat back another 5-10 degrees it would have been more bearable in the 918.
The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
KLCC 88 (12-07-2022), Porsche2014 (12-08-2022), very green R (12-09-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 04:31 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes that was me. I was asked did I want a car wash before I head into the paddock, I turned that down. My car isn't a garage queen. Pushing 30,000km and the car has visited 3 provinces and 14 states and counting. The big western states, not the Mickey Mouse baby states on the East Coast
That's amazing.....I too would like to do these types of trips .....hopefully in the new year with the 4RS...
TRAKCAR (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 04:59 PM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 50 Posts

Love the Area 27 sticker on Whoopsy's 918, too. My favorite track!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS