Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 10:40 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Jevi Javi
I'll keep you in the loop. Porsche Center still has to confirm the dates of the event.

Please do so.....I do business in DR and haven't visited my clients in a long time. Good excuse to drop by for a 1-day trip or a weekend.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:42 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
So yours was not moved from MY22 to MY23?

Maybe just US Spec cars will start with 2023 model year??????
Old 05-17-2022, 11:23 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Winter tires will begin on 10/1 and run through 4/1. Winter tires must be returned to the factory where the delivery takes place.
Thanks. Has anyone here done a ED trip in the winter? My SA is reaching out to update my spec and I'm wondering if that means good things for me on that front, although I was honestly hoping to do a trip in spring/summer/fall. Germany will be cold but maybe the south could be nice?

Last edited by ToasterThief; 05-17-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:30 PM
MsGT3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is "supposed" to arrive end of June / beginning of July to the dealer. I'm in South America.

From what the dealer sent me, the car finished production 22/04/2022 - 13/05/2022, and should be leaving Bremerhaven port 06/05/2022 - 27/05/2022.

I've asked about delays and they said so far everything seems normal, and that was the latest update. We will see.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:02 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

For those looking to get a non WP car but want to put in the CF airbox afterwards a German forum has listed some pricing.

Airbox 2900 €

Air channels to side inlets are guesstimated at 2400 € min

This does not include installation, labor, etc.

Want to do more?

Exterior air inlets 3600 €

Exhaust tips 1500 €
The following users liked this post:
Jevi Javi (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 01:00 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 277 Posts

Maybe silly question but, Do we know if it is actually full carbon pieces or just a cover on top of the non-wp plastic piece?
Old 05-18-2022, 01:04 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TDT
Maybe silly question but, Do we know if it is actually full carbon pieces or just a cover on top of the non-wp plastic piece?
Full carbon
Old 05-18-2022, 02:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Thanks. Has anyone here done a ED trip in the winter? My SA is reaching out to update my spec and I'm wondering if that means good things for me on that front, although I was honestly hoping to do a trip in spring/summer/fall. Germany will be cold but maybe the south could be nice?
Yes, and it really does mean that you have to bring back the car to wherever you pick it up from, Whether it's Leipzig, or Stuttgart... no dealer drop off.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:25 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

We are looking like at early November at this point for next available European Delivery Leipzig. I think much later may result in snow and other poor conditions that would not make it as good. I checked and there are still open track days at the Nurburgring and Spa into November. Transversing the passes and traveling through the Alps or Dolomites might be prohibitive.

I've often thought that renting a Porsche might be a better alternative to driving your new, low, and wide Porsche throughout Europe.

Perhaps Porsche could offer a hybrid Euro Delivery that is - "Come See Your Baby" being born off the production line, then give you a rental car to drive around while in Europe. For the track experience for the Leipzig deliveries, that is exactly what they do - they put you in a similar but not your car for doing laps.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:49 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
We are looking like at early November at this point for next available European Delivery Leipzig. I think much later may result in snow and other poor conditions that would not make it as good. I checked and there are still open track days at the Nurburgring and Spa into November. Transversing the passes and traveling through the Alps or Dolomites might be prohibitive.

I've often thought that renting a Porsche might be a better alternative to driving your new, low, and wide Porsche throughout Europe.

Perhaps Porsche could offer a hybrid Euro Delivery that is - "Come See Your Baby" being born off the production line, then give you a rental car to drive around while in Europe. For the track experience for the Leipzig deliveries, that is exactly what they do - they put you in a similar but not your car for doing laps.
From researching it last year, the Ring shuts down pretty much at the end of October. Also, most of the passes will be closed by November.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
From researching it last year, the Ring shuts down pretty much at the end of October. Also, most of the passes will be closed by November.
This will tell you when its open and closed.

https://nuerburgring.de/open-hours?l...vent-inline-31
Old 05-19-2022, 01:31 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,050 Likes on 2,850 Posts

This will tell you when its open and closed.

https://nuerburgring.de/open-hours?l...vent-inline-31
Looks like November 13th is last TF day for 2022, but they will either shorten or lengthen the season, based on the weather.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:16 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

In the case of Stuttgart build vehicles that are delivered in Leipzig they come with those winter tires on them (unless a waiver is signed) and upon return are expected to be delivered to the factory in Stuttgart instead of the normal Sindelfingen free drop off.

From the signed ED document

Winter tires requested*☐ 16 days (complimentary)
*Winter tires are required by German Law on basis of weather conditions. If winter tires are selected your vehicle must be returned
at the factory delivery Zuffenhausen. Additional charges apply after 16 days. Winter tires are not allowed to be used on any racing
track. Additional charges will apply for bald tires.*

In practice, the customers cars are shipped to delivery centres, either Leipzig or Zuffenhausen, with the ordered wheels and tires. Just before delivery, factory winter wheels and tires are mounted on a loaner basis at the selected delivery centre. Hence the need to return the car to the original delivery centre as the original wheels and tires needed to be mounted back on for shipping out.

I have taken ED on my 911R in February. In Zuffenhausen. They insists I needed to return the car back to Zuffenhausen. A whole bunch of neins went back and forth. I ended up returning the car to the factory dealer at Zuffenhausen, where they finished up the car return paperwork and shipped the car back to Leipzig to have the original wheels and tires mounted back on before shipping here.

A car transport had to be arranged to ship the car back to Leipzig. Not quite Porsche's own transport. But I knew enough people to have them pay for that.

When the car finally arrived back on Canadian soil, it was 'stuck' in Customs for 4 weeks, where it got thrashed around, pretty much topping 1G in all 4 directions. A G-meter reset recorded that. But that's another story.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:32 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
But that's another story.
I'm eager to hear it.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:57 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I'm eager to hear it.
For every ED car, when I drop off the cars, I reset the G-meter, the odometer, and also take a pic for reference. So even if those get reset again I will still know.

It's normal for them to put on extra miles, but at most I have seen is 3km. and about 0-2-0.4g on the G-meter.

For the 911R, after drop off, it was loaded onto a transport, I didn't see it personally, but an amateur car photographer hanging around Zuggenhausen took pics of it getting loaded, he found me online after and sent me the pics. Porsche personal had arranged the transport so the likelihood of the driver taking it for a joy ride is nil.

Once the car arrived in port, it took an awfully long time to clear customs. 4 weeks. After which it was loaded onto another transport for the cross country trip from Halifax to Vancouver. I was at the dealership when the transport arrived and unloaded the car, I went to the dash immediately to check. 0.7ish g left and right, 0.8ish g braking and almost 1 g of acceleration, also go an extra 60km or so on the clock.

Shop foreman also found rubber in the rear wheel well during PDI, and the rear tires were a bit worn. Definitely not my doing as during my 2800km drive in Europe, it was on factory loaner winters. The stock tires should be pristine.

It is highly unlikely the Canadian transport driver took it for a spin, they had been a Porsche Canada contractor for a long time and if they do some funny business, they wouldn't be working for Porsche Canada anymore. The same truck driver actually transported my 918 across country few years back, we talked and found that out.

By process of elimination, that leaves the Canadian Customs personal as the only suspect. Porsche own people in Germany have seen any car and every car, they don't need to go 'test drive' customer Porsches. Normal bumps during transports also can't register such a g forces, after all, the car has to be on for the meter to register readings.

Someone at Customs had decided to thrash around my car at the yard or even take it out for joy rides. Can't do anything about it and I will just have to take it up my behind this time.

I thought about raising the issue with Canadian Customs, but I thought better, what if they secretly black listed me and next time I have a car in port, they dissembled it to check for drugs or whatever, which they have full power to do?

The following 4 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
daaa nope (05-19-2022), josephr25 (05-19-2022), KEPetersen (05-21-2022), Porsche2014 (05-20-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS