Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 05:42 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,078 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The Nürburgring has a new protocol for lap timing where they are including much more information than ever before in the official press release. I think it includes the exact lap time for both 20.6km and 20.8km laps and also specifies the exact tires used and the precise alignment settings including camber, ride height, swaybars, traction control setting, aero settings, etc (maybe even tire pressures too). Basically, it's designed to provide all the info to allow a customer to duplicate all the settings.

I remember seeing this very detailed info on the Nürburgring press release for the AMG GT Black Series when it set the production car record. This is a very expensive process (have to rent the whole track and pay the Ring for all of its timing, scrutineering, and communications services when setting an official lap record).

Maybe Porsche didn’t bother with all of this, because there was no real record set (except among Boxster/Cayman models).

https://youtu.be/5pzFDarE7_w

Nurburgring might record all those parameters but only Mercedes have actually made all their alignment settings public. Porsche should learn from it in the future.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:44 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
I like his reviews, as he typically doesn't sugar coat anything. He said (for most people) it's not a car you would daily, but I would assume that would be the case for 99% of the people fortunate enough to purchase one. The two things that make the car great are simultaneously the same two things that hurt it's daily drivability - the suspension and the noise. Anyone who buys this car and complains about either didn't do their research, so they should sell it to me and go buy a 991.2 GT3. IMO, the GT4 RS being too stiff or loud to daily (for some) is totally excusable, as it's an RS car. Although I haven't driven it myself, the 992 GT3 may have been where they pushed it a bit too far, considering the 911 GT car demographic. It makes you wonder what the GT3 RS will drive like... Where can they go on the 992.2 or even the next gen 911? How much more time can you squeeze out of the current formula, other then tire tech?
Its interesting... I owned a 992 GT3 and thought it was too stiff to drive daily for sure. where the 991.2GT3 kinda felt like you could drive it everyday. so that was a surprise for me. lets be honest, its not like you can test drive these before you buy one... right?
as for the RS badging, yes, it makes it excusable. I just hope that there are aftermarket options for maybe swapping in some more reasonable feeling suspension.... not because I dont like race car type feel... I totally do but there is a place for that. The track. but 90% of the time, ill be driving on backroads, etc. so... not exactly the best fit I suppose but ill figure it out. owning this special thing, is pretty amazing in itself. maybe that is enough to overlook the compromises?
I just wish mag ride suspension was used instead. I mean, the Ferrari 458 had it years ago and that thing not only rides great but is very capable on track! But then again, cost and reliability become factors at the design level. Either way, I am excited to get this thing... I just want to use it all the time and bums me out a bit that I know I wont be able to.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:55 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 369 Posts

No confusion, 992 gt3 stiffness is slightly more than 991 for sure, but the 991.2gt3rs is noticeably stiffer than 992gt3 as well. 992 gt3 is somewhere between 991.1gt3rs and 991.2gt3 from my experience.

It also makes a big difference if you go sofas over the buckets.

Also, sounds like the gt4rs might be stiffer than the 991.2gt3rs which is the stiffest porsche I have ever been in by a good margin, even the 991.1 rs
Old 04-25-2022, 05:56 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blackmist27
Its interesting... I owned a 992 GT3 and thought it was too stiff to drive daily for sure. where the 991.2GT3 kinda felt like you could drive it everyday. so that was a surprise for me. lets be honest, its not like you can test drive these before you buy one... right?
as for the RS badging, yes, it makes it excusable. I just hope that there are aftermarket options for maybe swapping in some more reasonable feeling suspension.... not because I dont like race car type feel... I totally do but there is a place for that. The track. but 90% of the time, ill be driving on backroads, etc. so... not exactly the best fit I suppose but ill figure it out. owning this special thing, is pretty amazing in itself. maybe that is enough to overlook the compromises?
I just wish mag ride suspension was used instead. I mean, the Ferrari 458 had it years ago and that thing not only rides great but is very capable on track! But then again, cost and reliability become factors at the design level. Either way, I am excited to get this thing... I just want to use it all the time and bums me out a bit that I know I wont be able to.
Did you have the buckets in both?
Old 04-25-2022, 06:00 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

yes. I dont think you should option an RS without buckets...
Old 04-25-2022, 06:34 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

yes. I dont think you should option an RS without buckets...
I understood you meant a normal 992gt3 and 991.2Gt3, not RS...
Old 04-25-2022, 06:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
No confusion, 992 gt3 stiffness is slightly more than 991 for sure, but the 991.2gt3rs is noticeably stiffer than 992gt3 as well. 992 gt3 is somewhere between 991.1gt3rs and 991.2gt3 from my experience.
The spring rates in the 992 GT3 are about double the stiffness of the 991.2 GT3’s spring rates (and about the same as the 991.2 GT3 RS). Downforce in the 992 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS are also about the same which is the reason for the stiffness. Same laptime too…

Last edited by GrantG; 04-25-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:44 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Still doesnt help me... I wanted to know how this compares to the 992 GT3s stiffness on the road.
I didn't post it to help you compare this to the 992 GT3's stiffness on the road. I posted it because it was the first US based comparison that "I" found, between track and road, in the US, by the same reviewer.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:50 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

I like his reviews, as he typically doesn't sugar coat anything. He said (for most people) it's not a car you would daily, but I would assume that would be the case for 99% of the people fortunate enough to purchase one. The two things that make the car great are simultaneously the same two things that hurt it's daily drivability - the suspension and the noise. Anyone who buys this car and complains about either didn't do their research, so they should sell it to me and go buy a 991.2 GT3. IMO, the GT4 RS being too stiff or loud to daily (for some) is totally excusable, as it's an RS car. Although I haven't driven it myself, the 992 GT3 may have been where they pushed it a bit too far, considering the 911 GT car demographic. It makes you wonder what the GT3 RS will drive like... Where can they go on the 992.2 or even the next gen 911? How much more time can you squeeze out of the current formula, other then tire tech?

And don't forget, there could potentially be a significant amount of compliance which could be brought in with stock struts by adjusting PASM settings via aftermarket. If it hasn't already been posted, 992 GT3 spring rates are ~625lbs, per the Harris video, if I remember correctly.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:17 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I didn't post it to help you compare this to the 992 GT3's stiffness on the road. I posted it because it was the first US based comparison that "I" found, between track and road, in the US, by the same reviewer.
I had actually watched it before seeing your post.
but that being said, I am just sharing my thinking in wanting to understand the road manners of the GT4RS because I have an allocation. Not sure if you meant for your response to sound a bit snappy but it comes off that way. I was just trying to figure out how to compare the stiffness to something else. How can you take a subjective opinion and get an answer? you kinda cant. but if you can say GT4RS >GT3 in terms of stiffness, then it gives me a sense of what to expect. make sense?
Old 04-25-2022, 07:29 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

but that being said, I am just sharing my thinking in wanting to understand the road manners of the GT4RS because I have an allocation. Not sure if you meant for your response to sound a bit snappy but it comes off that way. I was just trying to figure out how to compare the stiffness to something else. How can you take a subjective opinion and get an answer? you kinda cant. but if you can say GT4RS >GT3 in terms of stiffness, then it gives me a sense of what to expect. make sense?
Get the 4RS. If it’s too stiff for your liking, talk to MCS and update the suspension or sell it.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:40 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

My response was to confirm that me posting the video was not specifically to address your concern. Had I been following your posts, and found the video to provide some insight, i would have commented. Take it how you will. Conversely, your response could have been taken as egotistical, but I didn't.

That said, my follow-up post regarding spring rates for the GT3 RS was to give a reference point, if that information had not been already known/posted, but again, even if spring rates are the same, PASM settings can have a drastic effect on comfort. Also, aftermarket springs will probably be offered, if softer are desired.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

It makes you wonder what the GT3 RS will drive like... Where can they go on the 992.2 or even the next gen 911? How much more time can you squeeze out of the current formula, other then tire tech?
The 992 GT3 RS is mostly about active aero for the first time. It's going to have huge downforce, but it will be able to mitigate the typical aero drag that comes with big downforce by reducing the front and rear aero when blasting down the long straight at the Nordschleife (top speed there will be significantly higher than before).

The 992.2 will add some power (either 4.0L or 4.2L from the 992.1 GT3 RS and 992 limited models). I expect the power of the 992 RS or 992 limited models to get up to 550PS NA and it would be typical for Porsche to slightly detune from this level in the 992.2 GT3. So maybe up to 540PS in the 992.2 GT3 (at most). So, 30hp bump, a little more suspension tuning, new tires, etc. will deliver a little more performance. Generally, the ".1" of a GT3 generation is a significant chassis change and the ".2" is a significant motor change. The 991.1 was both, since they had to retire the Metzger motor for regulatory reasons.

Maybe the 992.2 GT3 will adopt some form of active aero as well (hopefully without sacrificing the entire frunk that looks to be happening with the next RS).

Last edited by GrantG; 04-25-2022 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:47 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Get the 4RS. If it’s too stiff for your liking, talk to MCS and update the suspension or sell it.
Agreed...have to drive it first. I spent 2 years adjusting PASM settings alone to get my 981 where I like it...and actually biught stiffer springs for a car i initially thought was unnecessarily abrasive.

Alternatively, you could also see if stock GT4 springs can be used on the RS to soften. People have reported using the Swift kit at ~425fr/525 rear, and find it fine for extended street driving.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
MCS won't help much. My spring rates are VERY similar to the GT4RS and with my 2-way remote dampers I had to crank up the compression and especially the rebound to keep the dampers from bouncing off the springs. MCS dampers are designed for track use and are motorsport derived.

MCS actually even suggested to me to go higher on the spring rates to keep it "off the spring", but I do not track, so it makes no sense for me to do that.

What MCS dampers do is smooth out the sharp impacts better than OEM, and you can better dial in the damping, as Porsche's damping curves are not very good for anything but smooth roads. They have too much compression and not enough rebound. They also get rid of that "pogo stick" effect of the stock PASM, but make no mistake, my car still has a decent amount of vertical motions on the large dips and bumps at freeway speeds. It it far from a complaint ride at speed and MRC is still superior as a dual personality.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS