Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 12:03 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
Atlanta, and both Dealerships are MSRP only for new cars.
That is amazing! we have too much demand here in Cali and the dealers are just eating it up
Old 04-05-2022, 12:11 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmist27
That is amazing! we have too much demand here in Cali and the dealers are just eating it up
Honestly I might pay 25k over once I get a better understanding how many they are actually going to build. But *shrugs* I'd personally rather have the Clubsport version at this point and my thinking on that is:

1.) I don't feel like going to jail driving it as its mean to be driven on the normal streets/backroads.
2.) If I'm pushing on an actual track, I'd rather have the better brakes and safety systems of the Clubsport anyway.

*shrugs*. Don't get me wrong I want one, but considering how much back pedaling my dealer has done in the past 3 months from "sure we'll get you an allocation no problem to we likely unable to get you one at this point"....I'm just losing interest in Porsche Street Cars.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:19 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Honestly I might pay 25k over once I get a better understanding how many they are actually going to build. But *shrugs* I'd personally rather have the Clubsport version at this point and my thinking on that is:

1.) I don't feel like going to jail driving it as its mean to be driven on the normal streets/backroads.
2.) If I'm pushing on an actual track, I'd rather have the better brakes and safety systems of the Clubsport anyway.

*shrugs*. Don't get me wrong I want one, but considering how much back pedaling my dealer has done in the past 3 months from "sure we'll get you an allocation no problem to we likely unable to get you one at this point"....I'm just losing interest in Porsche Street Cars.
Race cars aren't much easier to get unless you're committing to compete in IMSA/SRO.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:41 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve0827
Race cars aren't much easier to get unless you're committing to compete in IMSA/SRO.
That is interesting... I didnt realize that.

As for the ATL dealers, I just called to speak with them about their policy but the sticker sale price only really applies to locals. Makes sense they can also make money on servicing of the vehicles. But the other problem is there is 0 cars to buy. they have huge lists and no allocations. taken tons of deposits for Turbo S, GT3s, GT4RS, etc...
Crazy market right now...
Old 04-05-2022, 12:46 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,620 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmist27
That is interesting... I didnt realize that.

As for the ATL dealers, I just called to speak with them about their policy but the sticker sale price only really applies to locals. Makes sense they can also make money on servicing of the vehicles. But the other problem is there is 0 cars to buy. they have huge lists and no allocations. taken tons of deposits for Turbo S, GT3s, GT4RS, etc...
Crazy market right now...
That's the issue right now, you can get on a MSRP list at some dealers but you either wait 2 years for a car or your name doesn't come up before production runs out/allocations are gone. Others are choosing to pay 15k(normal GT4 or Spyder)-100k(4RS) over MSRP to get a guaranteed allocation.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:00 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Originally Posted by cooler2442
That's the issue right now, you can get on a MSRP list at some dealers but you either wait 2 years for a car or your name doesn't come up before production runs out/allocations are gone. Others are choosing to pay 15k(normal GT4 or Spyder)-100k(4RS) over MSRP to get a guaranteed allocation.
Yeah... Classic supply and demand.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:29 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Oh...I think you'd be surprised. There's already been 1 4RS CS for sale, and there will be many more for sale by the end of the year.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:32 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Oh...I think you'd be surprised. There's already been 1 4RS CS for sale, and there will be many more for sale by the end of the year.
*new race cars are hard to come by unless you're committing to IMSA/SRO. There will always be used race cars popping up for sale, especially at the end of the season.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:02 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

*new race cars are hard to come by unless you're committing to IMSA/SRO. There will always be used race cars popping up for sale, especially at the end of the season.
Which is the better way to buy anyway unless you want to get raped by the federal gov for Tax.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:04 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,037 Likes on 657 Posts

Yep and you'll find the engine and gear box hours are maxed out - which means you'll have to put a chunk aside to refresh both engine and gear box. If a car has been used IMSA/SRO/CUP it will likely have had a hit at one time or another. The repair quality being sufficient to make it through scuitineering.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:06 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by groundhog
Yep and you'll find the engine and gear box hours are maxed out - which means you'll have to put a chunk aside to refresh both engine and gear box. If a car has been used IMSA/SRO/CUP it will likely have had a hit at one time or another. The repair quality being sufficient to make it through scuitineering.
Used is still cheaper than committing to the series for a year.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:20 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,037 Likes on 657 Posts

Used is still cheaper than committing to the series for a year.
Yes, also if you commit to a series (a requirement if you want a current gen cup car) you will need to buy at least two and consumables for two (if you want to be competitive). If you buy used - you have to be very careful.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:01 AM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no comparison between tracking a factory race car and a street car. I have heard, depending on the generation, the running costs for a Porsche race car is $3-$5k/hr. I don’t have first hand experience with this, but I own a 458GT3, and those numbers sound right, even with the Ferrari premium.

The amount of support stuff, electronics, etc you need to buy also is staggering, and some used car come with it, and some don’t. Plus you need at least one “guy” to help you in most cases. (some people can do it alone), and the amount of prep time to get on track is ridiculous.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:18 AM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by naparsei
There is no comparison between tracking a factory race car and a street car. I have heard, depending on the generation, the running costs for a Porsche race car is $3-$5k/hr. I don’t have first hand experience with this, but I own a 458GT3, and those numbers sound right, even with the Ferrari premium.

The amount of support stuff, electronics, etc you need to buy also is staggering, and some used car come with it, and some don’t. Plus you need at least one “guy” to help you in most cases. (some people can do it alone), and the amount of prep time to get on track is ridiculous.

On a true race car, tires are 2500 per set mounted and balanced and last a day or less if driven hard.Proper support 1k+ per day.Transit is charged per mile. Fuel, 2 days at Sebring a week ago was 500 bucks in fuel. Then you need to amortize yearly , monthly or daily, other consumables, upkeep and driveline maintenance and or replacement. 5k a day easy with no" events " or major driveline issues.

Hotels, coaching ...

You can't take it with you as they say...
Old 04-06-2022, 02:51 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Even though I love that Porsche are trying to make club racing "affordable" its very clear its a wealthy man's game. When I ran Spec E30 for 3 years I think I spent about $15-20k per season to be a high mid pack car. Cant imagine what it would cost to actually have a Club GT4RS for a season with everything needed.

Last edited by blackmist27; 04-06-2022 at 02:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche2014 (04-07-2022)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS