Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:06 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The spring rates in the 992 GT3 are about double the stiffness of the 991.2 GT3’s spring rates (and about the same as the 991.2 GT3 RS). Downforce in the 992 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS are also about the same which is the reason for the stiffness. Same laptime too…

Have you driven a 991.2 3rs?

Chris Harris (who dd's 991.2 gt3) I remember says the new one drives more comfy even with the stiffer suspension given it's an entirely different double wishbone setup which is probably a lot to do with the lap times. I mean if you think the 992gt3 is too stiff, you're in for a rude awakening with gt4rs given what Matt Farrah had to say about it

I can very confidently say A 992 gt3 with sofas and a new gt4 with LWB will be NIGHT AND DAY as far as comfort goes lol
Old 04-25-2022, 08:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJlyB0teZGQ

Chris Harris (who dd's 991.2 gt3) I remember says the new one drives more comfy even with the stiffer suspension given it's an entirely different double wishbone setup which is probably a lot to do with the lap times. I mean if you think the 992gt3 is too stiff, you're in for a rude awakening with gt4rs given what Matt Farrah had to say about it

I can very confidently say A 992 gt3 with sofas and a new gt4 with LWB will be NIGHT AND DAY as far as comfort goes lol
Maybe you should watch the Matt Farrah video about the 992 GT3 driven on the same roads as GT4 RS, if you haven’t already…
Old 04-25-2022, 08:26 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJlyB0teZGQ

The double wishbone does not have anything to do with dampers and what the damper's job is. The double wishbone helps with static/dynamic camber changes and cornering while the dampers are doing their job, but just the fact that it has a double wishbone, does not make it more complaint. You are mixing up what each part of the suspension components do.

Complaint is all in the springs and dampers (and to a lesser extent tire pressures, and tire sidewall stiffness). The more downforce a car can make, the stiffer the springs have to be, and the better the dampers have to be to handle those spring rates.

MRC makes even more sense in the case of added downforce as you can run a softer spring and since the dampers have such range and act so fast, they can make up for the lack of spring rate. That is the beauty of magnetic ride control and where PASM falls short. Think about this, MRC's range is 0% w/ no fluid restriction to 100% stiff, and it can go anywhere in that full range 1000 times a second.

Last edited by TRZ06; 04-25-2022 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:39 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Seems like we got people with weird agendas here, the responses are getting weird. I didnt even mention damping, but...

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...t3s-suspension

I don't pretend to be a vehicle racing engineer.....But, looks like the guy who made the car would disagree with you...Ouch
AP: “With the double wishbone, we have a way to make the car stiffer and more stable with less body movements under braking. But we could gain some residual comfort for street use. So even though it’s twice as stiff compared to the front axle on the last GT3, it’s no less useable as a road car – and still perfectly useable for a GT3 Touring.”

In short, the 992-gen GT3 has stiffer, faster-reacting damping, but with more comfort than before. An achievement we can’t wait to put to the test ourselves.

But with so much going on at the front, surely the rear axle has needed some work so it’s not left lagging? Correct, says Mr Preuninger. Gold star for you.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:53 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 97 Posts

Seems like we got people with weird agendas here, the responses are getting weird. I didnt even mention damping, but...

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...t3s-suspension

I don't pretend to be a vehicle racing engineer.....But, looks like the guy who made the car would disagree with you...Ouch
AP: “With the double wishbone, we have a way to make the car stiffer and more stable with less body movements under braking. But we could gain some residual comfort for street use. So even though it’s twice as stiff compared to the front axle on the last GT3, it’s no less useable as a road car – and still perfectly useable for a GT3 Touring.”

In short, the 992-gen GT3 has stiffer, faster-reacting damping, but with more comfort than before. An achievement we can’t wait to put to the test ourselves.

But with so much going on at the front, surely the rear axle has needed some work so it’s not left lagging? Correct, says Mr Preuninger. Gold star for you.
The person with the most agenda is probably AP himself, his job outside of designing cars is promoting them.
Chris Harris is the only reviewer I have heard that says the 992 ride quality is as good as any past GT3, all the others seem to think it’s harsher, regardless of the technology used or spring rates etc. Anyway, doesn’t this line of discussion belong in the 992 GT3 section?

Old 04-25-2022, 09:00 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Maybe you should watch the Matt Farrah video about the 992 GT3 driven on the same roads as GT4 RS, if you haven’t already…
To add, at Matt's size, with multiple back surgeries, he finds buckets comfortable on multi-hour drives. However he prefers "comfort", above all else, for any road driven car.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:02 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
My response was to confirm that me posting the video was not specifically to address your concern. Had I been following your posts, and found the video to provide some insight, i would have commented. Take it how you will. Conversely, your response could have been taken as egotistical, but I didn't.

That said, my follow-up post regarding spring rates for the GT3 RS was to give a reference point, if that information had not been already known/posted, but again, even if spring rates are the same, PASM settings can have a drastic effect on comfort. Also, aftermarket springs will probably be offered, if softer are desired.
oh man! I really dont mean to come off egotistical. sorry if I did.... was not my intention.
I really am just trying to understand from people, like Matt Farah, who have driven both cars where the RS falls in the spectrum of GT stiff cars. I think we can all agree its a new era for Porsche. All their GT cars, even the GTS are stiffer than previous versions, clearly. The thing that gets me is how many customers seem to praise Porsche for that. I mean, in an RS car, stiffness is to be expected. But I just want some sort of reference point. Thats all. Considering how much money these cars cost, I dont think I am asking too much.
Either way, I am excited to get the car. I do foresee a possible suspension swap though. Maybe MCS or stock GT4 suspension? who knows.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:51 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmist27
oh man! I really dont mean to come off egotistical. sorry if I did.... was not my intention.
I really am just trying to understand from people, like Matt Farah, who have driven both cars where the RS falls in the spectrum of GT stiff cars. I think we can all agree its a new era for Porsche. All their GT cars, even the GTS are stiffer than previous versions, clearly. The thing that gets me is how many customers seem to praise Porsche for that. I mean, in an RS car, stiffness is to be expected. But I just want some sort of reference point. Thats all. Considering how much money these cars cost, I dont think I am asking too much.
Either way, I am excited to get the car. I do foresee a possible suspension swap though. Maybe MCS or stock GT4 suspension? who knows.
Perhaps the gap is simply widening between models? It seems the base 911 and Carrera S models are getting progressively softer as that is indeed to your point what most owners want.
I haven’t heard anyone suggest the Turbo is stiffer or harsher than it’s predecessor.

Ultimately GT cars are for the track and the modern reality is people buy them because they are a brilliant drivers cars, are cool and all sorts of other reasons but not because they want to track them. If people want a more liveable comfortable yet still very fast and capable 911 there are other more suitable options and frankly I’m happy old golfer blokes find them too stiff because it means it might then find it’s way to an owner who will use it for it’s designed purpose.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:08 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Jesus don't buy the RS if you are just going to **** it up with a normal GT4 suspension.
The following users liked this post:
WirthO (04-28-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 11:12 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
Jesus don't buy the RS if you are just going to **** it up with a normal GT4 suspension.
hahaha...relax... this is all speculation. I wont really know how it will feel till I get it on my roads. its probably fine for weekend canyons and a track day every other month (non winter months). I was just thinking of suspension options for street. I could always swap back for track. but again, only if its terrible.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:57 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

No worries.

Based on existing reviews, its probably safe to say this will be the stiffest Cayman from the factory yet. I'd say get it if you can. There will most likely be more than one way to get it where you want.
The following users liked this post:
blackmist27 (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 01:58 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

What’s funny is I track and am a total diehard for racecars and thought nothing is “too stiff” but… when I took delivery of my 991.2 3rs i swear it’s like AP was sick of everyone jocking the old cars year after year after year, raw analog n/a buzzword buzzword buzzword, so he literally dialed it to 10 and delivered a racecar that almost shouldn’t be driven on the street just to mock all these “enthusiasts” stuck in the past. A 997 Gt3 btw feels like a Camry by comparison and that’s just 10 years separation

the last RS feels like the suspension was literally made out of diamonds it’s so stiff…

i expect nothing less from the gt4rs LFG!
The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
josephr25 (04-26-2022), Prime (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 06:50 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 645 Posts

I think it'll be very hard to make a judgment about small differences from reviews, until you are able to try for yourself. On the 992 GT3, the reviews are all over the map and the subjective impressions seem to be very much influenced by things like the quality of the roads, ambient temperature, which of the 3 OEM tires are fitted, and even the tire pressures used.

My guess is that the 2 cars will be very close...
You are correct - they will feel largely similar given the similarity of the spring rates and the fact the shock absorbers have to be paired with the spring rates. There may be subtle differences related to high speed and low speed valve tuning etc which will likely be unique to each vehicle as a function of weight difference, weight distribution and max downforce. Tire selection and pressure do make a significant difference e.g. swap out C2R for 4S - the latter are more compliant as one would expect.

The GT4RS, 992GT3 and 991.2 GT3RS will not ride like a MB S class, however I would be surprised if anyone would think that. At the end of the day, for a car to lap the ring in ~ 7 mins in the hands of a professional driver it has to be set up in a certain way. As the times drop, the aero increases and as a consequence the spring rates increase, you can get some relief from this through the use of active aero c.f. next generation 992 GT3 RS.

They are what they are and Porsche have done a great job engineering into these cars the dynamic range they have.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:51 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Before doing any of that try the car and I'm pretty sure you could swap in a DSC module so you could tune the suspension a bit.....
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
blackmist27 (04-26-2022), TNturboS (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:07 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
And don't forget, there could potentially be a significant amount of compliance which could be brought in with stock struts by adjusting PASM settings via aftermarket. If it hasn't already been posted, 992 GT3 spring rates are ~625lbs, per the Harris video, if I remember correctly.
It's hard to compare the 992 GT3 front spring rates (with the double wishbone) vs the GT4 RS strut suspension, as the wheel rates are different. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the GT4 RS wheel rate is actually stiffer than the 992 GT3.

Last edited by chriswd62; 04-26-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS