Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 05:08 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,474 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Spree17
I live in the south as well. My cars are usually in the garage. I would hope it could handle the heat for an hour or 2 at a time. I will visit the installer. I have questions about if something nicks it how does it look. Will it damage the paint if removed etc.
if you want more detailed info feel free to PM me. I’ve had my last 3 cars PPFd and I used to vinyl wrap cars for a small side business.
Old 08-10-2024, 05:11 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
yellowing IS a thing. However ppf technology has advanced a ton in the past 30 years and with proper care (yes on the ppf) it can last for many many years. Ppf already has some up protection built in but a lot of people like to ceramic coat the ppf for more up protection. Plus it makes it even more hydrophobic and helps avoid things like bug guts and bird poop leave stains on the vinyl. Now plenty of people are fine just doing ppf and then just let it do its thing and that can last between 5-10 years based on weather and driving conditions. But I know someone who treats his ppf almost like paint and coats it regularly. His 2013 BRZ looks like it just rolled off the dealer floor. It’s up to you how you want to approach it but what I do like about ppf is that you get that choice.
LOL your post makes it even harder. You say yellowing is a thing but then say the technology has improved. So with todays technology will it still get yellow? I will take good care of it. I have seen some people do the ceramic themselves. I'm a DIY gearhead so I'm curious about that. I will take care of this new car. I take good care of my other 2 cars and they are both very old.
Old 08-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

LOL your post makes it even harder. You say yellowing is a thing but then say the technology has improved. So with todays technology will it still get yellow? I will take good care of it. I have seen some people do the ceramic themselves. I'm a DIY gearhead so I'm curious about that. I will take care of this new car. I take good care of my other 2 cars and they are both very old.
it will yellow over time but the time it takes for it to yellow take longer now due to improvements. Basically yellowing is when the vinyl dries up and then starts to burn. But if you do things like maintain it, and keep coatings on it, you can expand its lifetime exponentially.

its very easy to diy ceramic coat it yourself. I do it myself as I enjoy the process.
Old 08-10-2024, 08:28 PM
Kram71
Racer

it will yellow over time but the time it takes for it to yellow take longer now due to improvements. Basically yellowing is when the vinyl dries up and then starts to burn. But if you do things like maintain it, and keep coatings on it, you can expand its lifetime exponentially.

its very easy to diy ceramic coat it yourself. I do it myself as I enjoy the process.
Which DIY ceramic do you use? Why do people pay 1000's for it if they can DIY?
Old 08-10-2024, 11:11 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Which DIY ceramic do you use? Why do people pay 1000's for it if they can DIY?
like many things there are varying degrees of product for ceramic coat. Part of the reason people pay others to do it is because most installers will have a sealed garage with heat lights to help the ceramic cure. A lot of times this also allows the installer to inspect for imperfections on the PPF and make fixes accordingly before hanging the car back to the customer. There is one product which only allows for professional installation and that’s Ceramic Pro. I had it done on my BRZ instead of PPF and not only was it cheaper but for where I was living at the moment it offered enough protection. Out of all the costings I’ve used it had done on my cars, Ceramic Pro is the only one that seemed to create a literal hard shell, almost like a new layer of clearcoat over the paint. While I’d do it again, finding a good installer that’s local that doesn’t charge 4000$ for a full car coat is tough, that’s why I DIY now.

the one I use is AMMONYC Pro Enamel coat. I personally love AMMONYC products and use almost all of his products on my cars, interior and exterior. I like the ease of application and the look of my car after it’s applied. And every month during your wash cycle you just top it off with AMMO Reflex to maintain it. This does have a 24 hour cure cycle which means if you touch it with your bare finger while it’s curing, your fingerprint it there forever. So a garage is HIGHLY recommended and timing it so you don’t drive it for 24 hours.

i also like GTECNIQ crystal serum. Really really good on black cars or just dark colors. Makes them seem super deep. I think this one initially looks better than the Pro Enamel coat, but upkeep is a bit more time consuming if you want to keep the look as you need to hand coat your entire car every 6-12 months with their ceramic sealant. Cure time is only a few hours so this one is a bit easier to fit into lives.

for the cheapest and least time consuming option I recommend Meguires Hybrid Ceramic spray. It’s not a hand applicator coating so it’s not going to be as robust as the other two, but you spray this on your car after you’ve rinsed off the soap, and then you give it a second spray down and boom it’s applied. I like using this as a fast top off coat for the gtechniq coating, but it’s a quick easy way to get some protection if you don’t have the time to let the car sit.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 01:42 PM
Kram71
Racer

like many things there are varying degrees of product for ceramic coat. Part of the reason people pay others to do it is because most installers will have a sealed garage with heat lights to help the ceramic cure. A lot of times this also allows the installer to inspect for imperfections on the PPF and make fixes accordingly before hanging the car back to the customer. There is one product which only allows for professional installation and that’s Ceramic Pro. I had it done on my BRZ instead of PPF and not only was it cheaper but for where I was living at the moment it offered enough protection. Out of all the costings I’ve used it had done on my cars, Ceramic Pro is the only one that seemed to create a literal hard shell, almost like a new layer of clearcoat over the paint. While I’d do it again, finding a good installer that’s local that doesn’t charge 4000$ for a full car coat is tough, that’s why I DIY now.

the one I use is AMMONYC Pro Enamel coat. I personally love AMMONYC products and use almost all of his products on my cars, interior and exterior. I like the ease of application and the look of my car after it’s applied. And every month during your wash cycle you just top it off with AMMO Reflex to maintain it. This does have a 24 hour cure cycle which means if you touch it with your bare finger while it’s curing, your fingerprint it there forever. So a garage is HIGHLY recommended and timing it so you don’t drive it for 24 hours.

i also like GTECNIQ crystal serum. Really really good on black cars or just dark colors. Makes them seem super deep. I think this one initially looks better than the Pro Enamel coat, but upkeep is a bit more time consuming if you want to keep the look as you need to hand coat your entire car every 6-12 months with their ceramic sealant. Cure time is only a few hours so this one is a bit easier to fit into lives.

for the cheapest and least time consuming option I recommend Meguires Hybrid Ceramic spray. It’s not a hand applicator coating so it’s not going to be as robust as the other two, but you spray this on your car after you’ve rinsed off the soap, and then you give it a second spray down and boom it’s applied. I like using this as a fast top off coat for the gtechniq coating, but it’s a quick easy way to get some protection if you don’t have the time to let the car sit.
I will look in to the one you use. I have garage to do it in if best. I heard the spray on stuff does not last long.
Old 08-11-2024, 03:35 PM
Kram71
Racer

Found the Porsche decal part numbers. Mine in black will be 982 044 800 25

Prices are mostly around $290 depending on which dealer or website.

Here is the website with other color part numbers.

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/...257B79002CBC78
Old 08-11-2024, 09:24 PM
Kram71
Racer

Got two quotes now.

"D" uses Xpel PPF
Full Front $1995 but $1800 on special
Track package $2995
Full car $6500
Ceramic $995-$2500
Window tint $250-$500

"C" uses KAVACA PPF
Full Front PPF $2995
Old 08-12-2024, 11:35 AM
ppeterso2
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
I'd remove the interior protection AFTER PDI is done. Ha ha. So right before I leave. But I'd probably let them remove the exterior, with the condition they don't wash the car. Not sure I can trust them with that. Remember the expensive Lexus LS I bought for my wife, and when I picked it up, it was scratched to hell and back. Dude used one of those red rags that was black, obviously full of sand or something. I assume Porsche does a better job, and since I'll be picking it up out of town, I won't have my cleaning supplies, so if it's too dirty, might let them wash it. But the interior protection I don't want it removed at all.
Well, I have been stuck in production since 7/15, so I am living vicariously through you all! Helpful people here let me know I was likely stuck in the holiday shutdown. I will let the dealer handle removing the exterior protectors and interior stuff just to ensure there aren't any major defects, from shipping, etc... My SA is kind of an old school guy who remembered me from past dealings, so he will take care of business. I also have to see how much stuff I can cram into my suitcase as I fly out there when pick up day comes.

I'm really wanting this to be a forever car, if that even exists, but I had a forever 997S and made it to 24k miles on odometer and people with no license smashed into me at 45-50mph while I was sitting still behind 2 cars at a red light--so there went that. I've just learned to enjoy them along the way and try not worry too much (easier said then done with the last of 718GTS's coming in to us over the next year).

Last edited by ppeterso2; 08-12-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2024, 02:25 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

TYD finally updated me with my car being at the port. Funny enough it also extended out my delivery ETA to end of September lol. Man this tracking really loves making me mad.
Kram71 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 02:47 PM
Kram71
Racer

TYD finally updated me with my car being at the port. Funny enough it also extended out my delivery ETA to end of September lol. Man this tracking really loves making me mad.
I think we all get frustrated waiting.

The website says they stop tours for 5-6 weeks so sadly I do not expect my app to move till September. UGH lol
Old 08-13-2024, 12:28 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

I think we all get frustrated waiting.

The website says they stop tours for 5-6 weeks so sadly I do not expect my app to move till September. UGH lol
my original ETA was supposed to be June 29th. The biggest thing was it decided to get on the only ship that didn’t go through Panama which took a 25 day ship ride and double that to 50 days. I had a bunch of things planned for the car and I had even taken a month off of work to enjoy the car and do a track day or two. But if the car does truly not arrive till end of December, 4/5 of my PTO will have been done by then. Which means no track days and only a few days of enjoyment.

when I was waiting for my GT4 I also had to wait for the summer break before they built my car. Honestly it’s not that bad because it’s a planned thing so you can account for it. The ship taking twice as long to get here was not planned and neither were many of the delays it experienced. That’s where my frustration comes in.
Kram71 (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 12:50 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Man, I'd be frustrated too. Ha ha. Going back to the factory 'break', I thought it was 2 weeks, but apparently it could be as many as 6, which is a crapload. No wonder we're getting a December ETA. I was also under the impression any production after the break was for the new MY, but guess that's not entirely correct, right? I personally have no use for the car in winter, so if December is the case, I might seriously think about getting a '25 instead, and get it from my local dealer instead. I wouldn't even be able to drive it home, since it'd be dangerous with summer tires. Winter storms can hit at any time, and lately are increasingly nasty. So would have to ship it home, defeating the purpose of getting a '24. Therefore, I've been checking Porsche's site for new and CPOs, in case I find one just like I want it, and hopefully cheaper, and with a longer warranty.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-13-2024 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:55 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by JCtx
Man, I'd be frustrated too. Ha ha. Going back to the factory 'break', I thought it was 2 weeks, but apparently it could be as many as 6, which is a crapload. No wonder we're getting a December ETA. I was also under the impression any production after the break was for the new MY, but guess that's not entirely correct, right? I personally have no use for the car in winter, so if December is the case, I might seriously think about getting a '25 instead, and get it from my local dealer instead. I wouldn't even be able to drive it home, since it'd be dangerous with summer tires. Winter storms can hit at any time, and lately are increasingly nasty. So would have to ship it home, defeating the purpose of getting a '24. Therefore, I've been checking Porsche's site for new and CPOs, in case I find one just like I want it, and hopefully cheaper, and with a longer warranty.
You have talked about switching cars (colors, years, etc) multiple times since you locked in. I'm surprised how often. I do not like waiting but I have not thought about switching at all since the car I ordered was the one I wanted down to the lowest option. Did you pay a deposit?
Old 08-13-2024, 10:08 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

You're confusing me with somebody else, man. I don't want to change anything on my build, and never changed my mind about basically anything, especially the GT silver exterior color, or the black/chalk full leather interior. I already owned a fully loaded 981 GTS before, so I knew exactly what I wanted (and what I didn't want). I was simply disappointed about not being able to get SPASM, 16.9-gal tank, and GT4 shifter from the factory, so if I could find a fully loaded CPO T with most of the options I want, and colors I could live with, I'd consider it. That's all. Still not crazy about paying 90 grand (plus TTL) for this car, and getting it so late, so if I could save some time and bucks, I'd certainly consider that. And no, I paid no deposit; dealer never called to charge me, after the CDK Global fiasco. Oh, and now I could get the same MSRP deal locally (on a '25), which wasn't the case before, rather than 600 miles away. And even on a GTS, but decided against it.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-13-2024 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.