Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 05:26 PM
InfamousMS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
From what i hear San Diego processes Porsche's pretty fast so you never know you could be picking up your car this weekend? Mine still has to go to Benicia so i'm hoping that it hits Benicia by Saturday the earliest and then about a weeks worth of processing (because reasons) and hopefully i'll get to pick my car up next weekend.
I know the Daisy Leader left San Diego on 8/8, so all So Cal cars should have offloaded. Anyone have any more intel on when to expect delivery at their So Cal dealer? My sales guy says it should be Monday 8/12, but info has changed a lot through this process.

Regardless, I know it's close - getting excited!

Last edited by InfamousMS; 08-09-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:45 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,474 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousMS
I know the Daisy Leader left San Diego on 8/8, so all So Cal cars should have offloaded. Anyone have any more intel on when to expect delivery at their So Cal dealer? My sales guy says it should be Monday 8/12, but info has changed a lot through this process.

Regardless, I know it's close - getting excited!
someone on the west coast forum said that their car was only in port for 2 days before arriving at the dealership so Monday might not be unrealistic.
The following users liked this post:
InfamousMS (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 08:49 PM
InfamousMS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone on the west coast forum said that their car was only in port for 2 days before arriving at the dealership so Monday might not be unrealistic.
That's great to hear. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2024, 09:24 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousMS
That's great to hear. Thanks!
Mine arrived at port on a Thursday and was at the dealer by Saturday, but that was Jacksonville- PDI was done on Monday and it was ready for pickup by 4.
InfamousMS (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 10:43 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey gang, have any of you asked dealer to not remove any of the protective stuff? I'm thinking of doing at least the inside, to minimize chances of any stains/scuffs/etc by dealer personnel. Not sure how dealers clean the cars, so I might remove all the coverings myself before leaving, in case I find anything. But curious if I'd look like a weirdo. Ha ha. Austin has an enclosed parking structure, so I could do it up there, by myself. You know how they like to put the car in a separate garage for their 'reveal'. But if nobody has found any issues, might just let them do it like everybody else. I've had many bad experiences in the past, even with expensive Lexus and Audi vehicles, so rather spend 5 minutes removing that stuff myself, than risk seeing scratches/scuffs/etc for the rest of my ownership.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-09-2024 at 10:44 PM.
Kram71 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 11:01 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by JCtx
Hey gang, have any of you asked dealer to not remove any of the protective stuff? I'm thinking of doing at least the inside, to minimize chances of any stains/scuffs/etc by dealer personnel. Not sure how dealers clean the cars, so I might remove all the coverings myself before leaving, in case I find anything. But curious if I'd look like a weirdo. Ha ha. Austin has an enclosed parking structure, so I could do it up there, by myself. You know how they like to put the car in a separate garage for their 'reveal'. But if nobody has found any issues, might just let them do it like everybody else. I've had many bad experiences in the past, even with expensive Lexus and Audi vehicles, so rather spend 5 minutes removing that stuff myself, than risk seeing scratches/scuffs/etc for the rest of my ownership.
I haven’t only because my PPF guy is going to do a full detail anyways, but plenty of people request to unwrap the car themselves, just let your dealership know ahead of time as it does mean they need to do PDI right after you do so if you want to drive it home that day.
Kram71 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 08:42 AM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven’t only because my PPF guy is going to do a full detail anyways, but plenty of people request to unwrap the car themselves, just let your dealership know ahead of time as it does mean they need to do PDI right after you do so if you want to drive it home that day.
I'd like to do the unwrapping myself since its a special moment for me as my first new Porsche.
Xxyion (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 12:53 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

For those on the Daisy Leader, the ship is now docked at Benicia Port. The funny thing is, for a good 3 weeks on TYD it has shown that my car has been at Benicia port. But now with my car actually at Benicia, TYD claims it’s still 50 miles away from port. Oh and the ETA has now jumped to September 17th. I’m pretty sure I’ll get my car before that date, but if I don’t….hooo boy I’ll be pretty annoyed.
Old 08-10-2024, 12:56 PM
Kram71
Racer

For those on the Daisy Leader, the ship is now docked at Benicia Port. The funny thing is, for a good 3 weeks on TYD it has shown that my car has been at Benicia port. But now with my car actually at Benicia, TYD claims it’s still 50 miles away from port. Oh and the ETA has now jumped to September 17th. I’m pretty sure I’ll get my car before that date, but if I don’t….hooo boy I’ll be pretty annoyed.
My TYD hasn't changed since July 1st. I'm jealous. 😂
Old 08-10-2024, 01:30 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spree17
My TYD hasn't changed since July 1st. I'm jealous. 😂
lol don’t be too jealous. My car has been on a ship longer than it took from its freeze date to production finish. We’re at 50 days at sea and just crossing my fingers there’s no more delays and customs is quick this time around. Benicia is always a toss up. Sometimes turn around is 2 days. Other times it’s 2 months as my wife experienced waiting for her GR86.
Kram71 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 03:22 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

just let your dealership know ahead of time as it does mean they need to do PDI right after you do so if you want to drive it home that day.
I'd remove the interior protection AFTER PDI is done. Ha ha. So right before I leave. But I'd probably let them remove the exterior, with the condition they don't wash the car. Not sure I can trust them with that. Remember the expensive Lexus LS I bought for my wife, and when I picked it up, it was scratched to hell and back. Dude used one of those red rags that was black, obviously full of sand or something. I assume Porsche does a better job, and since I'll be picking it up out of town, I won't have my cleaning supplies, so if it's too dirty, might let them wash it. But the interior protection I don't want it removed at all.
Kram71 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 04:28 PM
Kram71
Racer

I'd remove the interior protection AFTER PDI is done. Ha ha. So right before I leave. But I'd probably let them remove the exterior, with the condition they don't wash the car. Not sure I can trust them with that. Remember the expensive Lexus LS I bought for my wife, and when I picked it up, it was scratched to hell and back. Dude used one of those red rags that was black, obviously full of sand or something. I assume Porsche does a better job, and since I'll be picking it up out of town, I won't have my cleaning supplies, so if it's too dirty, might let them wash it. But the interior protection I don't want it removed at all.
Good point about the interior.

Asked for a PFF quote for frontal from guy that does dealers work. He said $2995 which seems high. I have seen them run specials though so maybe I will lock in the next special.

Reading some previous threads had me a little concerned about the PFF becoming yellow or dirty.

Also not sure which PFF is best. Many use Expel. The Porsche dealer guy uses a different one whose name escapes me.
Old 08-10-2024, 04:51 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

I was told the best for heat (I live in hot TX) was Suntek, but who knows. I think all are basically the same, to be honest. The major difference is the CUTTING. Some kits fit better than others. Some installers do custom cuts, but you'd need a specific recommendation. I'm done with PPF myself. And unfortunately, just because it'd go on a Porsche, installers charge more than a cheaper car (Porsche tax).
Old 08-10-2024, 04:58 PM
Kram71
Racer

I was told the best for heat (I live in hot TX) was Suntek, but who knows. I think all are basically the same, to be honest. The major difference is the CUTTING. Some kits fit better than others. Some installers do custom cuts, but you'd need a specific recommendation. I'm done with PPF myself. And unfortunately, just because it'd go on a Porsche, installers charge more than a cheaper car (Porsche tax).
I live in the south as well. My cars are usually in the garage. I would hope it could handle the heat for an hour or 2 at a time. I will visit the installer. I have questions about if something nicks it how does it look. Will it damage the paint if removed etc.
Old 08-10-2024, 05:07 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spree17
Good point about the interior.

Asked for a PFF quote for frontal from guy that does dealers work. He said $2995 which seems high. I have seen them run specials though so maybe I will lock in the next special.

Reading some previous threads had me a little concerned about the PFF becoming yellow or dirty.

Also not sure which PFF is best. Many use Expel. The Porsche dealer guy uses a different one whose name escapes me.
yellowing IS a thing. However ppf technology has advanced a ton in the past 30 years and with proper care (yes on the ppf) it can last for many many years. Ppf already has some up protection built in but a lot of people like to ceramic coat the ppf for more up protection. Plus it makes it even more hydrophobic and helps avoid things like bug guts and bird poop leave stains on the vinyl. Now plenty of people are fine just doing ppf and then just let it do its thing and that can last between 5-10 years based on weather and driving conditions. But I know someone who treats his ppf almost like paint and coats it regularly. His 2013 BRZ looks like it just rolled off the dealer floor. It’s up to you how you want to approach it but what I do like about ppf is that you get that choice.

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.