Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 03:32 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,474 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Kram71
Does PPF usually take a week to do?
depends on what you get done. I'm getting full car done plus tint plus a decal (assuming it arrives in time) and my guys like to make sure its quality so it's about a week. Another shop i went to for my GT4 took 2 weeks. A good shop will also detail and paint correct your car before adding PPF and that in itself is a few hour job at least.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 03:44 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 109 Posts

As a side comment, I did paint correction on my ex-GTS, and regretted it. Even though guy had a ton of experience, he ate thru the clear in a few places. And I belt the rest of the clear coat was left thin as hell. Paint correction means you're significantly thinning the clear coat, or it wouldn't have any effect. So I'll never do that again. I drive my cars, and don't obsess with special washing techniques, so rather leave the paint stock, even with a little orange peel, to last as long as possible. And after putting the PPF, I don't think the paint correction made any difference, to be honest. You only risk ripping off the paint if you ever need to remove it. So I'd just leave the paint alone, either with PPF or not. I won't use PPF anymore either. I had to do 'paint correction' on the damn thing on the Porsche, because bug crap got embedded on it, and looked awful. Rather touch-up chips, than having to wash the damn car every day while on a trip. Plus it's stupid expensive nowadays, so not worth it to me on that front as well.

EDIT: Just logged in to MyPorsche account, and my car finally started production on 8/16/24, so step 04/11. Is that the same as others, or am I behind? It says estimated completion by 9/3.

And VERY happy to see others receiving their cars now, when they'll be able to enjoy them with the best driving weather.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-21-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Kram71 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 04:15 PM
b4udoo
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

JCTx, you and I are "in" and probably will be "on" the same boat. My car has the same dates as yours. 4/11 on 8/21. Are you taking delivery at Porsche Dallas? If so, we might meet when we pick up our new wheels. Wouldn't that be it's a small world type of moment? Remember, the good stuff takes time and cool ain't cheap.
Kram71 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 04:25 PM
b4udoo
Track Day

Looking good! I chose the same colors. AV green and aurum wheels. AV green is rather "boring" in the shade, but in the sun it is very attractive. But not attractive to the law enforcement. Being a senior citizen, it is a great "old guys" color.
OKCabriolet (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
depends on what you get done. I'm getting full car done plus tint plus a decal (assuming it arrives in time) and my guys like to make sure its quality so it's about a week. Another shop i went to for my GT4 took 2 weeks. A good shop will also detail and paint correct your car before adding PPF and that in itself is a few hour job at least.
Thank you. Which decal are you getting? Will they put it on? Does the decal go over or beneath the PPF?
Old 08-21-2024, 04:31 PM
b4udoo
Track Day

Congratulations on your new Style Edition! Neat! The unveiling is a brief moment in Porsche ownership but is one of the many aspects of what makes the Porsche experience what it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by b4udoo:
darlinboy (08-21-2024), Kram71 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 05:01 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by JCtx
As a side comment, I did paint correction on my ex-GTS, and regretted it. Even though guy had a ton of experience, he ate thru the clear in a few places. And I belt the rest of the clear coat was left thin as hell. Paint correction means you're significantly thinning the clear coat, or it wouldn't have any effect. So I'll never do that again. I drive my cars, and don't obsess with special washing techniques, so rather leave the paint stock, even with a little orange peel, to last as long as possible. And after putting the PPF, I don't think the paint correction made any difference, to be honest. You only risk ripping off the paint if you ever need to remove it. So I'd just leave the paint alone, either with PPF or not. I won't use PPF anymore either. I had to do 'paint correction' on the damn thing on the Porsche, because bug crap got embedded on it, and looked awful. Rather touch-up chips, than having to wash the damn car every day while on a trip. Plus it's stupid expensive nowadays, so not worth it to me on that front as well.

EDIT: Just logged in to MyPorsche account, and my car finally started production on 8/16/24, so step 04/11. Is that the same as others, or am I behind? It says estimated completion by 9/3.

And VERY happy to see others receiving their cars now, when they'll be able to enjoy them with the best driving weather.
I'll be honest, it does not sound like the guy who paint corrected your car has any experience whatsoever. While you are correct that it does and can remove clearcoat, it really depends on what you are doing. Minor scratches only need a minor polish which barely eat into the clear coat at all. And many of them can be filled in with a ceramic coating. A proper, professionally done paint correction is a night and day difference to how a car should look. The paint should appear deeper in hue and more vibrant in color. It does seem like you've just had bad luck with both PPF and Detailing, but many times a good detail on a car actually helps protect it more. You just need someone to know what they were doing.

Originally Posted by Kram71
Thank you. Which decal are you getting? Will they put it on? Does the decal go over or beneath the PPF?
Just a matte gold hood and rear stripe with Porsche lettering on the front. Was considering a side decal like i had on my GT4 but i felt just the hood stripe on the GTS would be enough to give it some contrast.
The following 3 users liked this post by Xxyion:
darlinboy (08-21-2024), Kram71 (08-21-2024), OKCabriolet (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 07:40 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by b4udoo
JCTx, you and I are "in" and probably will be "on" the same boat. My car has the same dates as yours. 4/11 on 8/21. Are you taking delivery at Porsche Dallas?
Nice. Ha ha. I'm taking delivery in Austin, so probably just a few hours ahead of you. But maybe you can come down, and we can go break them in at the Hill Country (3 sisters, etc). Well, unless they arrive in freaking winter; then we'd be screwed. Or at least I would, since I still have to drive it to El Paso, and it'd be dangerous to do that with summer tires. Might have to leave it at my daughter's place until spring.

AV green is rather "boring" in the shade, but in the sun it is very attractive.
I'm not much of a green color guy, only having owned one green car (a Bullitt), because I didn't have a choice. Ha ha. But I have to say, AV green is the best green I've seen, including the benchmark BRG (British racing green), which my Bullitt resembled.

I'll be honest, it does not sound like the guy who paint corrected your car has any experience whatsoever.
The worst part is he did. Ha ha. Highly recommended, and had done many exotics over the years. Guess he was having a bad day when doing my car. Ha ha. But just the fact the clear coat has to be thinned, I'm not interested. Yes, my (plain, as in not metallic) black Cayman looked like a mirror after the job, but just by looking at it the wrong way scratched it again, and was more noticeable than before. PPF covered that, but I don't want either thing ever again. The PPF was done very good, but in both cases (Suntek and XPEL), the material was the 'problem'. Or rather, they were incompatible with what bugs eat here in the desert, I guess (ha ha), so no more for me. Haven't regretted yet. I just touch-up the chips. My PPF also got dinged, and looked pretty bad, as those are not 'healed', like scratches. But to each his own, of course.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-21-2024 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:03 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Looking good! I chose the same colors. AV green and aurum wheels. AV green is rather "boring" in the shade, but in the sun it is very attractive. But not attractive to the law enforcement. Being a senior citizen, it is a great "old guys" color.
I LOVE green as a car color. Almost doesnt matter what shade of green either. I think it all looks good. But i am particularly fond of AV as it has a bit of a color shift going on. In dark light its very much Agate grey or close to it. But in various temps of direct light it can look like a super dark olive green to an almost a turquoise with too much grey in it. I agree it very much is a "old guys" color but its fantastic.
fasteddie99 (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 12:27 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

I'm not much of a green car guy myself, but the AV green is really nice. And yes, it gives the car an elegant and mature tone that not many young folks would choose. Guess we're showing our age here. Ha ha.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:59 PM
Angus725
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For those still waiting, here's what TYD ended up looking like for my BGTS4.0.

Picking up the car the Tuesday after Labor day at PEC LA.

The following 2 users liked this post by Angus725:
Kram71 (08-22-2024), laurenxesq (08-23-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Angus725

Thanks. That is noteworthy. Looks like around 2 months from car completion to car delivery. Best of luck with your new car!
Angus725 (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 04:13 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

wow only 7 days at Emden, so jealous. My BGTS was there for 1 month. Enjoy PECLA though. Who is your host/instructor? Also highly recommend getting the hanger steak for lunch. Its super good.
Old 08-22-2024, 04:30 PM
Angus725
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

wow only 7 days at Emden, so jealous. My BGTS was there for 1 month. Enjoy PECLA though. Who is your host/instructor? Also highly recommend getting the hanger steak for lunch. Its super good.
Yeah, I got really lucky with the port wait. IIRC there were 3 ships going from Emden to CA in a row over 3 weeks, and I got on the last of those 3 before a lull in the port schedule.

Working with Charles T. over email on the delivery team, not sure who the instructor will be yet.

I'm looking forward to taking photos of the 911 shaped butter hahaha
Old 08-22-2024, 06:27 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Yeah, I got really lucky with the port wait. IIRC there were 3 ships going from Emden to CA in a row over 3 weeks, and I got on the last of those 3 before a lull in the port schedule.

Working with Charles T. over email on the delivery team, not sure who the instructor will be yet.

I'm looking forward to taking photos of the 911 shaped butter hahaha
YES Charles is awesome. He was my host as well. Tell him Lawrence (with the python green GT4) says hi. You'll probably have Hunter as your instructor assuming he is still there. Both were amazing and made the entire experience unforgettable.
Angus725 (08-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.