Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 02:48 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 566 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 911usmc
I’m curious where you get your figures from. I just ordered a Cayman S with nearly $15k in options and it totaled for $97550.
Most likely because of the starting price of a Macan EV, $80,400 vs the starting price of a base Macan $62,500. With an $18,000 difference between a base Macan ICE and a base Macan EV, I think I can see where he is coming from. Using the same $18,000 difference between a base Cayman $68,300 and base Cayman EV we get $86,300 as the POSSIBLE starting price point of a base Cayman EV. Right now we have no other information about pricing other than the just released pricing of the Macan EV. But since both the Macan EV and the Cayman EV will be using the same PPE platform, I would expect to see close to the same $18,000 starting point difference between ICE and EV.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:10 PM
mrclam
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Most likely because of the starting price of a Macan EV, $80,400 vs the starting price of a base Macan $62,500. With an $18,000 difference between a base Macan ICE and a base Macan EV, I think I can see where he is coming from. Using the same $18,000 difference between a base Cayman $68,300 and base Cayman EV we get $86,300 as the POSSIBLE starting price point of a base Cayman EV. Right now we have no other information about pricing other than the just released pricing of the Macan EV. But since both the Macan EV and the Cayman EV will be using the same PPE platform, I would expect to see close to the same $18,000 starting point difference between ICE and EV.
I know you didn't make this claim - but I believe the "right" comparison for the Macan 4 is the current Macan S. That matches up performance wise, and the EV is about ~7k more expensive than the current S. That makes the EV a slight premium to the existing car, but it includes some more options as standard (like air suspension), and has a newer interior to justify it somewhat. This allows Porsche to smooth the transition from ICE to EV (at least in the US).

Porsche being a somewhat predictable company....it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually introduce a Macan S model between the current 4 and the turbo, and then introduce a true base (that might only be rwd) at a lower price point. If they wait 1-2 years, they can increment the MSRPs of the current models until the difference between those and the EVs isn't so disruptive.

Last edited by mrclam; 01-29-2024 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MXA121 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 07:24 PM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Yes I was spitballing, but from what GM's have been saying Porsche is targeting more in 90K starting price range for the base model.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:28 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,726 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
to ipsi. I'd definitely pay a lot more if Porsche can create a lighter EV.

to Zhao, this is a post I made elsewhere on RL about weight and range and someone was saying that an EV must be very heavy to have good range, and I disagreed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its more complicated than that. In real world testing, the $43,000 Telsa Model 3 dual motor, equaled or beat the range of Taycans that cost triple the money and those same Taycan EVs weigh 1,100 pounds more than those same Tesla model 3 dual motor cars.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791...-test-results/

Porsche packs a lot of additional stuff into the frame and elsewhere in the Taycan, which increases the weight. As a result, the Taycan doesn't have much more space inside the car than a model 3 despite the Taycan being a foot longer and 2 inches wider than the model 3. The Taycan has 10 more cubic feet in the cabin but 5 less cubic feet in the trunk compared to the Model 3, so overall a similar amount of interior space between the two cars, if the rear seats are laid flat.

There are ways to make electric cars lighter. While we all wait for major breakthroughs in solid state batteries which will take many years, Porsche (as a sports car company) might want to start prioritizing weight reduction of their EVs.

Currently, Teslas far outclass Porsche EVs in weight and in power to weight ratio, while of course the Porsche EVs have a superior suspension and superior fit/finish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In summary, I hope the reported target weight is correct for the 718 EV and that Porsche will make low weight a priority for 718 EV. If so, I'd definitely consider getting one.
If the Cayman EV becomes a bloated heavy whale like all the other Porsche EVs so far, then I'll keep my M3P.
That's the one hope for this car is that Porsche somehow hits that 3600lb target, and makes the price somewhat reasonable, but I still wouldn't buy one. I feel that weight is close enough to the current 718 they should be able to figure out the suspension and how to make it not handle like a boat. I have no faith in 3800lbs+ feeling good though, especially when that means the top end models are going to likely push 4k weight (more batteries, more motors are going to add atleast 200lbs imo). Chevy solved their heavy Camaro problems (which is probably the heaviest car I think feels good) in part because they're not afraid of putting a 285 upfront, but I don't see Porsche thinking that is an option as they're afraid of wide front tires (Our GT4s should really be running a 265 upfront at 3100lbs with a 295ish on the rear).

Originally Posted by mrclam
I know you didn't make this claim - but I believe the "right" comparison for the Macan 4 is the current Macan S. That matches up performance wise, and the EV is about ~7k more expensive than the current S. That makes the EV a slight premium to the existing car, but it includes some more options as standard (like air suspension), and has a newer interior to justify it somewhat. This allows Porsche to smooth the transition from ICE to EV (at least in the US).

Porsche being a somewhat predictable company....it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually introduce a Macan S model between the current 4 and the turbo, and then introduce a true base (that might only be rwd) at a lower price point. If they wait 1-2 years, they can increment the MSRPs of the current models until the difference between those and the EVs isn't so disruptive.
The S is 84k where I am, and 106k for a 4 EV with worse performance. There is zero financial reason to buy a Macan 4 in Canada unless you have a hardon for EVs.

Even less so when you factor in base Macan or Macan S resale is traditionally pretty great, and EV's are pretty consistent on being bad. I'll probably be replacing one of my DD's this year and my short list of options includes a Macan S for those reasons. I also am looking at used Taycans if they depreciate much more as I do like buying a slightly used vehicle for half price. I would only consider a used Macan 4 once the EV depreciation kicks in to make it worth the risk of buying one.

Last edited by Zhao; 01-29-2024 at 10:36 PM.
Chester7 (02-02-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 10:58 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 566 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by mrclam

OK, I can understand your thinking on this and it makes sense. You are right there will most likely be additional models coming out, an S, GTS and maybe a T. And you are right about a possible model below the Macan 4with a single motor. It will be interesting to see if a single motor Macan EV is priced substantially lower than a Macan 4.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:55 PM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MXA121
. Regardless, we agree the 718 EV won't be light.
If they'll manage to stay under 4400lbs call it a miracle.
Chester7 (01-31-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 03:14 PM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Omologata
If they'll manage to stay under 4400lbs call it a miracle.
Well, I’ll go for miracles, even the announced full EV Maserati MC20 will be just 220 lbs heavier than the ICE version MC20
Old 01-30-2024, 07:58 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,028 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
Well, I’ll go for miracles, even the announced full EV Maserati MC20 will be just 220 lbs heavier than the ICE version MC20
They also claim "240 miles" range, I'm guessing that's downhill in 75 degree weather with a tailwind and at a max 40mph speed. I would be shocked if that goes more than 180 miles in real driving conditions.

Why on earth any company would take an impractical exotic sports car chassis and put in the worlds most boring locomotion method ever invented is beyond me.
Chester7 (01-31-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 09:53 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,726 Likes on 948 Posts

Ya because the italian automakers aren't known for ever fudging 'facts'.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,155 Likes on 4,921 Posts

Well the MC20 (ICE version) is a low bar to aim for.

Maserati claims ~3270 lbs, but in the real world (i.e., outside of Italy) the MC20 weighs in at a porky ~3750 lbs, if not more.
Drifting (02-04-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 01:31 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Porsche better have the solid state batteries for Cayman EVs otherwise they are gonna be fat little pigs.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:45 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Well the MC20 (ICE version) is a low bar to aim for.

Maserati claims ~3270 lbs, but in the real world (i.e., outside of Italy) the MC20 weighs in at a porky ~3750 lbs, if not more.
The MC20 is gorgeous and not common, which is a good thing. But it is large.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Ya because the italian automakers aren't known for ever fudging 'facts'.
Well, better than the Italian Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale EV, a whopping 1300 lbs heavier that its ICE version https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-al...e-gas-version#

One way, we can choose between featherweight very old cars (1400 lbs, 904 GTS, Spyder 550, ...) and heavy weight new EVs.
Oh wait, that's not a real choice for the most of us.

waiting ...

Last edited by Ramon Vennik; 01-31-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 01:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 911usmc
I’m curious where you get your figures from. I just ordered a Cayman S with nearly $15k in options and it totaled for $97550.
‘ees in Connecticut where they add ADM to Starbucks.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:46 AM
tonie90
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
‘ees in Connecticut where they add ADM to Starbucks.
You're not kidding. Walking into the dealer here is a 5K cover charge.
The following 2 users liked this post by tonie90:
BoxKing (02-01-2024), worf928 (02-01-2024)

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread