Notices

The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 04:21 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 361 Posts

Not interpreting anything. Been told as much directly from a few PAG/PCNA sources. Boxster launches first with Cayman EV trailing by about 12 months.

Originally Posted by mc3456
Why do you interpret it that way? Seems more like the opposite to me, if anything. Cayman GT4 RS is already out, so would make more sense to EV the Cayman first while the Spyder RS is still in production. Either way, this article seems to indicate a next gen ICE 718 for a short (undetermined) period time.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:27 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,006 Posts

Lot's of poorly worded press-releases on what was said at the annual Porsche Press Conference with respect to the 718 EV follow-on.

Lots of good poop and long reports can be found here: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023...ort-31485.html

The exact quote from PAG CEO was: Then there’s the 718: The all-electric version is planned for the middle of the decade. Here, too, we plan to introduce the completely new model in parallel with the combustion engine version. In the medium term, the 718 will only be available as an all-electric model."

Personally I don't see anything significantly new here. Some overlap....good news for those waiting on Spyder/GT4 RS.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:42 PM
hoyasaxa
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Lot's of poorly worded press-releases on what was said at the annual Porsche Press Conference with respect to the 718 EV follow-on.

Lots of good poop and long reports can be found here: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023...ort-31485.html

The exact quote from PAG CEO was: Then there’s the 718: The all-electric version is planned for the middle of the decade. Here, too, we plan to introduce the completely new model in parallel with the combustion engine version. In the medium term, the 718 will only be available as an all-electric model."

Personally I don't see anything significantly new here. Some overlap....good news for those waiting on Spyder/GT4 RS.

I think the question we all have from this is whether the gas 718 will be getting a redesign when the EV 718 releases or whether, instead, the current 718 will be temporarily sold alongside a brand new EV 718.
The following users liked this post:
Schnll (03-20-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:19 PM
GainesvilleGT4
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Really hope to see Porsche design the EV 718 to be electric-only for the base, S, and possibly GTS versions while GT4 and GT4RS variants get the flat-6 power plants. Similar to the formula they have with the current 718 but replacing the turbo 4 for electricity while taking the chassis into an updated, lighter, sharper place.
The following 3 users liked this post by GainesvilleGT4:
Drifting (04-25-2023), usctrojanGT3 (03-15-2023), wdr911 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 07:24 AM
roadawg1608
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GainesvilleGT4
Really hope to see Porsche design the EV 718 to be electric-only for the base, S, and possibly GTS versions while GT4 and GT4RS variants get the flat-6 power plants. Similar to the formula they have with the current 718 but replacing the turbo 4 for electricity while taking the chassis into an updated, lighter, sharper place.
This will be a major problem until battery technology improves regarding weight. Even Porsche does not have an answer to incorporate batteries and lower the weight of their cars at the same time.

Tesla's Model 3 battery pack weighs about 1,000 lbs for example. Solid state batteries could be the answer long term.

I will miss ICE cars for this reason and the sound, the new Cayman EV will be at least 3600+ lbs I would put money on it. It is also impossible in my opinion for an EV to have character so I think will just be a mess for what most Cayman owners are looking for. EV's are great in a lot of ways, I own one, but they are awesome in every way that isn't what the Cayman is all about. EV's have no emotion.

Definitely hope as mentioned they keep the GT cars gas powered, but from what I am reading the Cayman is going full EV first with no gas models in 2025

Last edited by roadawg1608; 03-15-2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:34 PM
GainesvilleGT4
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by roadawg1608
This will be a major problem until battery technology improves regarding weight. Even Porsche does not have an answer to incorporate batteries and lower the weight of their cars at the same time.

Tesla's Model 3 battery pack weighs about 1,000 lbs for example. Solid state batteries could be the answer long term.

I will miss ICE cars for this reason and the sound, the new Cayman EV will be at least 3600+ lbs I would put money on it. It is also impossible in my opinion for an EV to have character so I think will just be a mess for what most Cayman owners are looking for. EV's are great in a lot of ways, I own one, but they are awesome in every way that isn't what the Cayman is all about. EV's have no emotion.

Definitely hope as mentioned they keep the GT cars gas powered, but from what I am reading the Cayman is going full EV first with no gas models in 2025
That would be brutal if no ICE version of the next 718. Really trying to keep an open mind and not sound like an old man cynical of new things but can’t imagine not hearing the intake noise of my 4RS in a future Cayman variant. Seems like Porsche increases the size of its cars from generation to generation. Wonder if the next 718 will also increase in size and spin off to be their EV sports cars while the 911 will be their ICE sports car? In other words, no entry level sports car, just an expensive EV sports car (new 718) and an expensive ICE one (911).
Old 03-15-2023, 02:08 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm just glad I'm getting my '23 718 with an ICE. If I want an EV I'll buy a Merc.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:02 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GainesvilleGT4
That would be brutal if no ICE version of the next 718. Really trying to keep an open mind and not sound like an old man cynical of new things but can’t imagine not hearing the intake noise of my 4RS in a future Cayman variant. Seems like Porsche increases the size of its cars from generation to generation. Wonder if the next 718 will also increase in size and spin off to be their EV sports cars while the 911 will be their ICE sports car? In other words, no entry level sports car, just an expensive EV sports car (new 718) and an expensive ICE one (911).
will be interesting to see what they will do...I'm guessing the 911 will be the only ICE car available from Porsche by 2030 and eventually full EV by 2040...

The problem is going to be trying to neuter the E-Cayman just enough that is doesn't destroy the 911 but at the same time try to make it at least as fast as a Model 3 Performance which is less than $60K and also have to compete with that price point...good luck

I think Porsche will nail it and I will most likely be one of the first on the waiting list for one.... but any ridiculous ADM will kill it

With the way technology moves, it won't be long before we have 600 mile range EV's with lighter batteries.....once more people realize how unbelievably responsive and fun an EV can be and how much money you will save on gas, oil changes, brakes, etc they will become the new must have cars and gas cars will become flip phones....only stubborn old men will be hanging on for dear life with their ICE vehicles ....I'll be one of them, but have already realized the fun you can also have in an EV and will always have one of them too

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/19/pors...ctric-911.html
Old 03-22-2023, 05:57 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts

Interesting read for those who follow the broad evolution of EV auto technology.
https://gcaptain.com/deep-sea-mining...porate-backer/
Old 03-27-2023, 05:37 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 361 Posts

View this post on Instagram

More Boxster prototypes hitting the road
Old 03-29-2023, 03:52 PM
hoyasaxa
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

hey go back to that link. The quote used to be “Here, too, we plan to introduce the completely new model in parallel with the combustion engine version. In the medium term, the 718 will only be available as an all-electric model.”

The first sentence, beginning with “here, too,” has been retcon’d out.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:50 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,134 Likes on 639 Posts

Very interesting notification I just got from the PCA Potomac Region, who almost exclusively hosts their events at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia.

So far this news doesn't appear to be widespread- I can't corroborate it anywhere. (Update: a commenter described this as a notification sent out to event coordinators.) Comments have implied the restriction is due to safety measures not being in place for the unique characteristics of electric vehicles. But so far this is the most significant restriction I've come across... this all but rules out me personally ever getting an electric vehicle, full stop. It could portend the future of using electric vehicles on track.

I'll post more info on this as it develops. Very, very interesting development indeed.

Last edited by manifold danger; 03-30-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:23 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 659 Likes on 329 Posts

Hmmm, Old news for PCA Carolinas Region HPDE events. Taycans have been prohibited since "day one" due to fire safety reason. Most Tracks do not have the fire suppression equipment for Lithium-Ion Battery fires.....

They might in the future, yet currently do not, so no EV's allowed.

The following Rules from Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP)......

Last edited by 981KMAN; 03-30-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:35 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Very interesting notification I just got from the PCA Potomac Region, who almost exclusively hosts their events at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia.

So far this news doesn't appear to be widespread- I can't corroborate it anywhere. (Update: a commenter described this as a notification sent out to event coordinators.) Comments have implied the restriction is due to safety measures not being in place for the unique characteristics of electric vehicles. But so far this is the most significant restriction I've come across... this all but rules out me personally ever getting an electric vehicle, full stop. It could portend the future of using electric vehicles on track.

I'll post more info on this as it develops. Very, very interesting development indeed.

is this a PCA thing? cuz there is nothing out there on google searches about that track banning EV's?
Old 03-30-2023, 09:09 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,743 Likes on 956 Posts

Seems odd. I wonder what issues they're talking about to be 'effective immediately', because my local road racing club's volunteer safety team do F1 and formula E, so are top caliber, they have electric car training thx to formula E, and have never had any qualms about EVs on track at local events.

Gotta be a local isolated incident and these are temp measures while they change something. Or insurance got involved and said no.

Last edited by Zhao; 03-30-2023 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread