Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:09 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
First impressions, it appears more glued even sitting at the lights - nothing like a placebo. Turn in is particularly sharp now and I look forward to stretching the legs a bit idc. It is set at the KW factory settings for now but seems both more sure footed and more comfortable than previously.
Looks great, I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that setup.

Still my favourite colour. Would be it be wrong to recolour my GT3?

Originally Posted by Maxem
Did anyone notice that there are about 4 nz new 996.1 manual Carrera's for sale on TM? You will quote me as previously saying "I'll never own one of those" but a man might change his mind for late twenties?

Things to do this afternoon; google 996 rat rod, 996 hot rod, 996 R Gruppe.....
The early 3.4s are pretty tempting as the price is coming down.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

But then I two timed her...for that old tart!
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Over to you Doug. I think you have given Lola the best ride so far, (and the biggest beating)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:26 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...treated her nice, and dropped her skirt a little.
Makes a change from trying to lift them!

Dave - love the back story pics on Lola. As the first air-cooled 911 I'd ever been in, she's a bit special to me too.

Jason - sounds like your machine is well sorted. The cool asides help feed my thread addiction too. My 3 year old was reading over my shoulder and said 'Fokker triplane' so I said 'almost mate, but count the wings'! One of the books they ask for by name is 'The Wonderful World of Planes' which goes from Bleriot to Concorde and includes Ernst and Lola's story:
Name:  image001.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  147.8 KB

MattH - I'll definitely take up your offer to swing by McLaren next week to check out your P1. As you may have noticed from my comments a week or so back back, I am a fan of the car and it would be my pick of the hypercar crop - based on looks, specs and reviews of course.

On the Porsche front, I've put the rewebbed seatbelt back in and chucked some WOFable spares on the rear so we'll be back on the road soon.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:20 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys - if anyone's looking for one, there's a 964 half cage on TM, $1k:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=821769608
Old 12-20-2014, 12:55 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Hey guys - if anyone's looking for one, there's a 964 half cage on TM, $1k: http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=821769608
I looked at that a while ago. Steve R talked me out of it. He reckoned it had little benefit with what I do as the 911 is plenty strong unlike the Integra.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:46 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Can you post the pikkie on your rebuild thread Doug? Also, have you still got my RSG T-shirts and are you going to be around the next few days? I'll swing by and swipe em.
Yes I have them here at home and I have them. I will be here until Tuesday morning. Would love to see you mate and can show you a fair few pics.

When I was a kid I was an aircraft nut and I built a model of a Fokker DVII from WWI. It was the version flown by Ernst Udet a celebrated ace. I can't recall the full story but he had named it after his girlfriend Lola and had "Lo!" written on the side. It has only just occurred to me that there are striking similarities to your Lola Doug: German machine, red, named Lola. Did you know this story (which I may have got wrong in recollecting from 35 years ago).
No, I didn't know this story. Interesting.

I think it was Paul who first suggested Lola as the name, reciting the song lyrics on this thread. I liked it and it stuck.

A short history of Lola. Previous owners took her on gentle club runs. In 4 wheel drive mode.
Matt treated her nice, and dropped her skirt a little.
I saw her on trademe and couldn't turn her down
I treated her real nice too
But then I two timed her...for that old tart!
Over to you Doug. I think you have given Lola the best ride so far, (and the biggest beating)
Thanks for posting Dave. I've downloaded those pics :-). Nice to see those old D90s in their original glory too. Are those ones the ones now painted gold or the Plasti-dipped ones?

Yep she's had a beating and clocked up a fair few more k's (7,000 ish around the SITT trip early this year). She's definitely coming back to her former glory, with some fresh paint and a very sexy short shift kit. I guess I've been two timing her with my Boxster but that affair is over until the next thing comes along.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Insurance update.

A good idea, but a bit of a PITA would be to have a continuous video like the Russians use that you can download and use to show police, insurance company etc to prove that you were not at fault. I guess in future car will have this plus a black box for serious accidents?

My journey isn't over yet and I'm determined to get a fair deal. That's why we buy insurance and pay the asking price for the premiums to protect ourselves against loss. If I accepted the current offer my personal loss would be $10k or 25% of the value of the car IMO. That is not fair.

Today I found out about a December sale of the Pearsons 2005 Boxster S manual. It is two years older than my car, the previous iteration of the 987 and an earlier smaller capacity engine (3.2 vs 3.4). It sold in only 2 days and was on the market for $41,990

My car is newer by 2 years, is a later model, and has done 10k more mileage. Prestigio offered a current market value payment of $36,500.

So the sale of this car supports my replacement cost arguments. I was really pleased to learn of it via Chris at CCS. It sold a couple of weeks ago and we dug up it's advertising details via Google's Cache.

The car is now back at my place thanks to Troy and Ian is coming on Monday to do a full pre-accident valuation assessment.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2014, 04:20 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by O2GO
Yes I have them here at home and I have them. I will be here until Tuesday morning. Would love to see you mate and can show you a fair few pics.

No, I didn't know this story. Interesting.

I think it was Paul who first suggested Lola as the name, reciting the song lyrics on this thread. I liked it and it stuck.

Thanks for posting Dave. I've downloaded those pics :-). Nice to see those old D90s in their original glory too. Are those ones the ones now painted gold or the Plasti-dipped ones?

Yep she's had a beating and clocked up a fair few more k's (7,000 ish around the SITT trip early this year). She's definitely coming back to her former glory, with some fresh paint and a very sexy short shift kit. I guess I've been two timing her with my Boxster but that affair is over until the next thing comes along.
Doug, the original D90's are 6 and 8 inch and are plasti dipped so will come back like new.The powdercoated set are 7 and 8". Got those from a 944.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:40 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Attachment 895870 I can't seem to resist Magnus and yellow headlights. Dave , I know the Orange and yellow may not be perfect but would be worth the effort yo at least try.

Last edited by Ndewar; 07-26-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Did anyone win the Macca Cup off me this year? The SITT was 2014, so maybe I get to hold onto it until the 2015 NITT? I think Dougie could be a contender as his cars look like the cup (I hope you take this in good spirits Dougie). And I have tried hard to keep my nose clean since then.
I reckon the Macca cup needs to be like the Ranfurly shield - you keep it until someone beats you - could be a week, could be a year - but a win is always an epic win. (Paul, you could be a lifer based on those rules!)

Doug's definitely a contender, likewise Chris M (though I'm loathe to vote for incidents that could have ended badly...) Walter had a problem with his fuel gauge on more than one occasion... And who can forget JMac and 'find my phone' - would have been a dead set winner but for the 'Miller effect!'

2014 was a cracker. South Island tour, enduro racing, BB/leaderboard (even though it spawned an apparent Honda love fest), 2nd NITT, 2kcup racing, new builds, upgrades, road runs, new friends & plenty of regular track days, BBQs & a few beers. If 2015 promises more of the same then bring it on.

From where I am currently I'm sold on a 2016 euro road trip. A mix of epic back roads and autobahns, P-factory tour, spa track day - and all the fun in the planning. Can't wait.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Attachment 895870 I can't seem to resist Magnus and yellow headlights. Dave , I know the Orange and yellow may not be perfect but would be worth the effort yo at least try.
I agree. I have located a source for them now just have to decide to do it or not but I suspect they wouldn't be legal here.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2014, 06:15 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by peterC2S
From where I am currently I'm sold on a 2016 euro road trip. A mix of epic back roads and autobahns, P-factory tour, spa track day - and all the fun in the planning. Can't wait.
It would be epic alright. I'd love the challenge to find a car in the UK, get there a week early to shakedown and sort then begin the tour. Bring the car back at the end. John, if that sale doesn't come through, this could be the answer for the 964T going to the UK.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/cay...e-daily-driver

Just adding to the discussion re cheap Cayenne for DD/towing etc
Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
It would be epic alright. I'd love the challenge to find a car in the UK, get there a week early to shakedown and sort then begin the tour. Bring the car back at the end. John, if that sale doesn't come through, this could be the answer for the 964T going to the UK.
What would you buy, a DFI Boxster? I suspect that the Turbo 3.6 will be gone by then, but it is an option. Donna and I are definitely in for the tour. Not sure if we'd bring a car back, although it would be great to have a brand new Porsche at least once in my life.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?