Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Dougie you need new bumpers anyway right? Given that Magnus cars are not period correct with different motors etc you could still hotrod back date? Not saying you should as its personal taste and what you want. But I have to say I liked that car a lot too and it makes you want to do one like dave says.....
Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the Steve Wong chip last night. Splitting the circuit boards was a little fiddly. Never too sure how much pressure to put into it, particularly with electronics. All good in the end.

Installed my cat bypass tonight. Love woking on the car when access is easy The Cat didn't have provision for the sensor and one wasn't attached. Is that typical of ROW 964's?

My trolly jack is too low to raise the car enough to fit my sparkly new Esco stands. I made do. What trolley jack's do you use?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:07 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Installed my cat bypass tonight. Love woking on the car when access is easy The Cat didn't have provision for the sensor and one wasn't attached. Is that typical of ROW
As far as I'm aware NZ new 964s (like mine) were spec'd with a cat pipe with no cat and no o2 sensor as our fuel was leaded back in 1990.

Mine is original and when Sam and I had a good look together a few weeks ago comparing his cat bypass pipe with my standard "empty" cat, mine had no O2 sensor even though his ex-Singapore? car required a cat bypass with o2 sensor. Now I'm getting out of my technical knowledge depth :-)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt38088
Dougie you need new bumpers anyway right? Given that Magnus cars are not period correct with different motors etc you could still hotrod back date? Not saying you should as its personal taste and what you want. But I have to say I liked that car a lot too and it makes you want to do one like dave says.....
Hmm... Yes, I need a new front bumper. I researched IROC style bumpers a little a month or more ago and vaguely recall that there's a few challenges with the 964 front end shape and the housing of the air conditioning radiator and fan in the left front bumper area? I want to retain the aircon as it was awful without it touring back in February in late summer. But I didn't get far with this from memory.

I emailed DP Motorsport back then about their 964 to classic RS carbon fibre package but didn't get a reply. I wonder if they only do it on cars delivered to them where they do all the work?

http://www.dp-motorsport.de/16.html?...ash=c72b26eca0

At this stage I'm committed to the classic 964 coupe exterior with good quality steel panels from Europacific. The customisations/styles I have in mind are pretty subtle but hopefully make the car pretty unique to me. This is work in progress and is developing as I go along but here's the wishlist that's developing in my head and of course subject to change or reality check....

Continuation with flag mirrors (or something unique/different to normal aeros)
Colour scheme and porsche graphics as per the attached photo (dark grey 17" cup2 wheels with polished/metallic grey rims)
Slightly lowered from current ride height. The KWv3 struts are currently set at their highest ride height position.
Conversion from primary bypass to secondary bypass (mostly done). Ultimate wishlist, Fabsport headers with heat and Fabspeed muffler. Steve's 964 was running with ex-ChrisM's Fabspeed muffler and sounded very sweet.
Carbon heater fan bypass.
Powdercoated cooling fan, fan shroud, and rocker covers... Red fan, black for the rest.
Steve Wong performance chip.
Cup door cards (already installed)

Interior:
FD Motorsport - Rothsport short shift solid aluminium short shift kit http://fdmotorsports.net/964-993-c2-...hort-shift-kit
Ultimate - centre console delete
Half cage, colour matched to exterior colour.
Seats.... Work in progress on thinking on these. I'm pretty happy with the standard seats.
Stereo..... Work in progress on thinking on this. Would like to delete it aesthetically but love my music for long run touring. Have wondered about relocating it into the glove box but could be a bit dangerous controlling it.
New RS style carpet scheme.
Custom pedal back plate and pedals.
Refresh door sill kick plates.
Ultimate: leather dash
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by O2GO
As far as I'm aware NZ new 964s (like mine) were spec'd with a cat pipe with no cat and no o2 sensor as our fuel was leaded back in 1990.

Mine is original and when Sam and I had a good look together a few weeks ago comparing his cat bypass pipe with my standard "empty" cat, mine had no O2 sensor even though his ex-Singapore? car required a cat bypass with o2 sensor. Now I'm getting out of my technical knowledge depth :-)
Phew, thanks Doug. Interesting info indeed.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Installed the Steve Wong chip last night. Splitting the circuit boards was a little fiddly. Never too sure how much pressure to put into it, particularly with electronics. All good in the end. Installed my cat bypass tonight. Love woking on the car when access is easy The Cat didn't have provision for the sensor and one wasn't attached. Is that typical of ROW 964's? My trolly jack is too low to raise the car enough to fit my sparkly new Esco stands. I made do. What trolley jack's do you use?
Warwick, my C4 is ex Singapore. The Cat has no sensor or wiring for one. I'm told that was normal for that market.

As for trolley jacks, many of us use race jacks bought on Trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-783036065.htm
Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice list you have there Doug. Glad to see you're going with polished/metallic for the rims. The matte black in the photo was starting to make you look a bit bogan...
Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
or are those other 2 gone now Dave?
Still got one of them. An early impact bumper car is a must have. Been fantasising about a narrow body early G series with a 3.2. But that one will have to wait.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats quite a good look there Doug. If I ever got around to getting a set of black rims with polished lips I would have loved Lola more. That sounds a bit kooky doesn't it.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:40 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

DP Motorsport - maybe they only do Deutshe? Doug. Think they do good stuff so worth persevering
nice list there
Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Warwick, my C4 is ex Singapore. The Cat has no sensor or wiring for one. I'm told that was normal for that market.

As for trolley jacks, many of us use race jacks bought on Trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-783036065.htm
Thanks John. Have you had any issues when raising the whole rear of the car (as opposed to one side at a time) with that jack?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Guys.

I want to change out the interior of my car to all black rather than the current linen, which on the most part isn't in bad nick. I have a couple of options

1 Keep all stock
2 RS look, with leather door cards, carpets and aftermarket seats, probably Recaro pp's

Option 1 is far more expensive, though the price can be mitigated somewhat using quality trim kits from Southbound or Lakewell and/or having the low wear areas professionally dyed (which i'm reluctant to do but the trimmer I spoke to assures me he has a true craftsman in Timaru who does a fantastic job re-colouring leather)

Whatever the option, I will have it professionally installed and all original unused parts kept with the car.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on original vs a more sporting look, particularly with regards to re-sale?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:13 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where have all the D90's gone? Seeriously, I'm looking for a set of straight 8" D90's if anyone has some knocking around and gathering dust. And I promise not to paint them gold...
Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. Have you had any issues when raising the whole rear of the car (as opposed to one side at a time) with that jack?
I have the same jack but never lifted the whole rear. However I have another jack that is surplus to requirements and is a bit more heavy duty with a fast, high lift - almost new. I didn't realise when buying it that I couldn't get it low enough to get under the sill of the 944. You're welcome to try it out.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

door cards and PP's for me - or if not the PP's then the Japanese seats Macca has in the 993. They look really good and are comfortable in the brief ride I had. My understanding is those seats were also used on the Autohaus Hamilton SC Group 4 project car, which is covered on their web page

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?