Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So are you installing the engine and transmission into the car as a unit? or one at a time?
You maybe doing this already but remove rear bumper cover and heat shields for additional room, remove rear crossmember for the same.
Getting the engine up there is one thing, having room to make all the connections is another.
To me it does not look like the car is high enough, depends on how low profile your cart is. You can lower the front, that will lift the rear.
Have you checked the 996 forums, surely this has been done there. 997 and 996 nearly the same platform.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:02 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks WolfK. Yes I will attempt the install myself. I will be mating the two. I am still waiting on my Intermediate housing. Not high enough? Hmm. How high does it need to be? I am at about 22 inches. Thanks for the tip on the heat shields and yes i'll remove the rear bumper. I am following the Pelican article on "what to connect" There are a lot of hoses coming off this engine. Will be exciting to get it today. I plan on replacing all the bolt on items, like alternator, fuel pump, thermostat etc. .
Old 10-05-2016, 10:04 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Since my engine has an IPD plenum, do I need a different air box? I see on the Sharkwerks site where they put a different air box on the car when they do an IPD plenum. I do have the original air box too.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Since my engine has an IPD plenum, do I need a different air box? I see on the Sharkwerks site where they put a different air box on the car when they do an IPD plenum. I do have the original air box too.
The IPD Plenum will work fine with the stock airbox, but if you want to change it, I'd recommend the one from Evolution Motorsports (Evoms). They usually come up for sale in the marketplace for around $300.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I haven't done this type of work on my 997, but I have on other cars like my S2000. I echo another comment in that I think you may want more height. When I had the transmissions out on my old C43 and S2000, I had about 24". A 911 is a different beast than those front engines RWD cars, but I don't think you can go wrong with more height. But I would be slightly wary of getting that much height in that style of jackstand, it may be near their upper range. I have a set of expensive Esco stands, and also another set of heavier duty stands that I use when I need extra height or when I'm lifting up our LR3. Just be careful!
Old 10-06-2016, 01:30 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I have been looking at the ESCOS. I am thinking about getting them next month but have a timeline. I am also considering renting some lift bay space If I can find some in the OC. I have seen this done with similar jack stands though. I don't think escos go any higher than 24 inches though. Also an option is to rent a scissor lift. Anyone ever used a scissor life for engine install?
Old 10-06-2016, 05:39 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I was able to take a few shots of the new engine tonight.

This is not a stock C2S header. Tubi maybe??

Most all the hoses are new and the engine is surprisingly clean.

Looks like IMS was done too.

Is this broken or goes on a certain way??

The delivery guy just simply dropped the palet with the engine on it. He said he didn't have time to wait. f
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 PM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Is this broken or goes on a certain way?? The delivery guy just simply dropped the palet with the engine on it. He said he didn't have time to wait. f
You may not want to hear it but yep it's broken. there's a member with the same problem & he did a quick fix. It's better to replace it since the engine is already out w/easy access. Sounds like the delivery guy was a D?ck....

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-oil-pipe.html
Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well I think it will be a pita to replace but fortunately the engine is out. I think I have to remove the alternator and some other items to get to the bolt that holds this thing on.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Might actually be your lucky day. I just purchased a spare RUF Supercharger kit where the supercharger clutches are worn out and am going to have it rebuilt to have a hot spare for my car. Anyway, I mention this because a few posts ago you were tyring to decide what to do about an intake, and I believe the Kit actually came with a RUF modified airbox (haven't opened the box yet) and I'm not going to keep 2 of their airboxes when I've converted my car to a Fabspeed already. I think what RUF did is replace the stock oil fill tube with the fixed position version from a 997.2, as the RUF tag on the airbox goes where the original filler neck clip used to be and on my car the filler neck is no longer flexible.

Since it's a RUF unit, I probably won't sell it cheap, but maybe you're looking to upgrade from a stock airbox since you already have the IPD plenum or maybe someone with a stock airbox wants to buy this RUF one and sell you theirs. You could run it with a stock filter or a drop-in K&N type filter.

Here are pics of the complete SC kit with the airbox in the bottom left and a couple of what it looks like when installed in a 997.1 car. They had to do something different with it to prevent interference with the SC pulley.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:52 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Checked my Escos - at maximum height they are 22", so not that much help there, other than perhaps the knowledge of higher quality construction.

I imagine you could find shop rental space in SoCal somewhere. I'm in a much smaller city in Canada and there's a shop that does such things. Cheap as chips, like C$15 an hour, but you get what you pay for - it's not a very pretty place! But if you can organize your logistics, use a few hours to bolt up the engine and trans, ie. the 'hard stuff' then you can do the rest at home and take your time. I think the major difficulty with the rear engine layout for a shade tree mechanic is that unlike front engines cars, you can't remove the engine from up top. Doing that just needs an engine hoist. But for the same deal at home in a 911 you need some decent height for the car and some heavy duty trans jack up the bottom. That said, I believe there was a series of articles in Excellence on the past few years where the writer rebuilt his 993's engine and did the removal and install in his garage.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:56 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well I have the car up on jacks and the engine and tranny in the room (garage). I checked the spark plugs yesterday and they looked good. The chamber was clean as a whistle. I know this can be a place where much can be told about the motor. No oil or any fluids in the spark chamber so far. I want to get the thing up on the engine stand. The stand is a 750lb stand. I think the engine weighs about 420lbs. One question, what bolts do I use to bolt the engine to the engine stand? I would not think to use the bolts that bolt it to the tranny or do I? Also I have having a time getting the correct transmission carrier bracket. Looked up the part number and it was different number every site I looked at. One parts place gave me a turbo housing and a 996 carrier bracket.

This is a 996 bracket. Notice the pointy bottom and the side that the longer piece is on.

This is an actual 997 tiptronic housing I have been trying to acquire.

This is a 997 carrier bracket (not a 100% sure). Notice the squarer bottom and the longer piece is on the right side.

Anyone have a good part number for a 2005-2008 C2S please help. Thanks. I am considering a hoist or 3 or 4 strong men to help me get it up (don't even think about it..)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:12 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know if a 500 lbs hydraulic cart will hold my 3.8L engine (minus tranny)?

I have the 500 lbs cart but am thinking of getting the 1000 lbs cart. I spoke to a dismantler and they said they use the cart to remove their engines. Now I don't have a lift so it complicates things such as how do I lift the engine onto the cart? Any ideas? I also have a full size tranny jack and two low profile jacks. Engine is out of the car. I just need to move it.

Last edited by ocmacman; 10-09-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:39 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So today I picked up the HF 1 ton shop crane. Went together well. Pretty crappy welds though and I am not a welder and can tell. I got it together and test lifted the front of my tiptronic transmission. Went well. Now I just need to find out how to strap the engine and the tranny (seperate and not all at once) so I can do some work on them. I have an engine stand I borrowed but not sure a 750 lbs stand will hold the 997.1 engine. The stand only has three legs. two in the back and one leg in the front.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:18 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Almost ready to hoist the engine onto the hydraulic table or the engine stand. Not sure if the engine stand will be sturdy enough. I borrowed it from a guy. It only has 3 legs. Here is a pic of the engine with chains I bought tonight. I have it bolted with some 6" long 1/2" wide bolts and two large washers on each end of the motor mount. I am trying to figure out how to connect the eye loop point in the front of the engine to the chains in the rear. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming