Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:08 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

This is the driver side door on my 997.1S project car. Do any of you know if this is something that can be repaired/fixed? The interior is Cocoa full stitched leather. It was a 4k option on the car. Maybe some leather cleaner?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:15 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Leatherique products to clean and condition the leather and if the stains or discoloration persist, try Scratch Wizard's matched dye. I just used the dye on my sand beige driver's bolster and a few plastic trim pieces and it is an excellent match.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:58 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Subscribed. This should be an interesting thread.

Also, before I saw SJP3003's post, I was thinking that Leatherique would probably be your best bet.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:08 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

sub'd also, looks like it will be a beauty when done...love a good project, i can sit right next to 'em and watch all day...
Old 02-16-2015, 12:55 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 S Project Coming

Hi RL, just wanted to update my thread. I have not picked up the car yet, but will in a few weeks. Wife went out of town and won't be back til next month. However that should give me good time to get garage setup. I still am sourcing for a motor. LADismantlers has a 3.8L that will fit so they are plan B. Cost is a factor though. I also just got some info from my PCA buddies to try Vision Motorsports as they have engines frequently. Flat 6 is full for the year so they are out but I want to use local businesses if I can. Well I am going out to visit the car tomorrow and will take some more pictures. Also my Cayenne S has tow package but I need a hitch. Also thinking of getting a trailer as I'll be towing the car here and there plus to track if I ever get the opportunity. More to come.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, call Dwain Dement or Roland Tsui at Vision Motorsports (949-770-2888) re the engine. Dwain usually has several engines built and on the shelf.

Vision employs two full-time engine builders - one is former ANDIAL and the other is former PMNA.

Stop by the shop and take a tour. Dwain will show you around and introduce you to the engine builders.

Cheers,
Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OP: did you have any success with the water stains on the armrest?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I was at the AutoKennel over the weekend with the PCA-OCR. Lots of nice Pcars. I spoke with a few guys about my C2S project (2006) and one mentioned Vision Motorsports and another mentioned 9XX motorsports in Long Beach. Well I was off on Monday so I spent the day at a few Porsche shops. 9XX was a neat place tucked away near where I used to work (Boeing). Jason is a top tech who does rebuilds and customizes them for the customer. He is very affordable too. Nice size shop. I saw some of his work from a guy at the AutoKennel event, was very nice.

I then went to Vision Motorsports as I heard they had a wall of 3.8L 997 S engines. I didn't really believe this as I have been sourcing since October of 2014. Well when I got there I met Duane and he was just like one of the techs. Friend and knowledgeable. He walked me back to the shop and sure enough he had a wall full of 3.8L engines and 3.6L and 3.4 and any other engine you need. He rebuilds the cores and customizes them to whatever you want. Lots of race cars were there. For me he was out a my budget but a fair price and he was super nice. I liked both shops and will probably do business with them.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:32 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Vision Motorsports was like a candy store. They had all kinds of engines on the shelf. Dwain was really nice and gave me a tour. He does a lot of Race cars but I felt very comfortable with the time he gave me. He is a bit out of my budget and I would have to go back to the financial drawing board but It might be worth it. I also visited 9XX and Jason was just as knowledgeable and had that small shop feel. He didn't have a 3.8L but he did have a 3.6 and I got to actually look at the disassembled motor. That was nice. I know I won't get out for less than 15k for a motor so I am working from that angle. I am really having fun looking but I want to finish by my birthday which is in July. I hope to have some pixs of the car by the end of the month. In the mean time I am still looking for a fender and front bumper.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to check out MB Motorsports repair. They seem to have reasonably priced engines.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoddle
You may want to check out MB Motorsports repair. They seem to have reasonably priced engines.
interesting...anyone know anything about them? i'm not the worst google-ist in the world but i can't seem to find any reviews, past purchaser feedback, etc.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
interesting...anyone know anything about them? i'm not the worst google-ist in the world but i can't seem to find any reviews, past purchaser feedback, etc.
Go to the 996 forum. The owner of the company was banned from RL 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:59 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Subscribed! Looking forward to hearing more updates and have found some very useful information on here. I'm still on the hunt for my first Porsche 911 (be it 964 or 997) and have played with the thought of buying a clean chassis but didn't know where to look.

Out of curiosity I do have one question though. As you mention a budget have you calculated the cost of building one vs a complete car? Granted it would be much more fun to piece everything together.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:33 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997s Project

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Subscribed! Looking forward to hearing more updates and have found some very useful information on here. I'm still on the hunt for my first Porsche 911 (be it 964 or 997) and have played with the thought of buying a clean chassis but didn't know where to look.

Out of curiosity I do have one question though. As you mention a budget have you calculated the cost of building one vs a complete car? Granted it would be much more fun to piece everything together.
I just purchased my Cayenne S back in October 2014 so I am not looking to purchase another car. I did think about selling my e39 M5 (66k miles) Lemans Blue, and jumping over to a 911 but haven't decided that yet. The project is a "fun" thing for me and I get to rescue a Porsche so no I didn't think about just buying a whole car. Have to save up for my retirement Panamera.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming