Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Was the car manual or tip originally?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:09 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Tip and I am replacing with a Tip. Nothing fancy just mate the tranny and put the motor in. Now of course since the motor is out I want to take care of any maladies or addons (would love the 3.9 or 4.0 upgrade). I keep getting people saying you have to have a Tip engine and if you get an engine from a manual 06' C2S it won't work. Now I know this is not true as the transmission connects to just about any engine. I have had my other car worked on by BRR racing and I know they are great so I may just have to tow my care up there and have them do it.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:23 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well happy news. I am going to pickup a nice tip transmission on Saturday? Is a great same.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:12 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Update, I am so excited about picking up my tranny tomorrow. As it turns out I was able to get the best one I could and I think I will install it myself. The engine I hope to pickup next week. I will definitely document the installs. I am hoping to rent some garage space with a lift. I have a buddy who is working on a project as well so we both will take the space. Quick question though. How much of the car should I button up or just wait til it's running to think about that? It will need to be painted as well.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:19 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So this morning I made a trip to pick up my Tip Tranny. Here is a pic of it. It has everything on it. There is a sensor that was cut so hopefully it's not an expensive cut. The tranny has about 25k miles on it.

The torque converter is in excellent condition. It came out on the trip back home. So can someone tell me when do I know it's all the way in? I keep turning it and have felt the first click but not the 2nd click.

Is this a familiar part number?

Is this the right Intermediate Housing? Doesn't look like the picture in the PET.

Here is the part number for the housing. It should be 99611610110 but has a 5R at the end.

Next week the engine is happening. No later than the 1st of October. I will be installing the engine and Tranny myself as the response from some shops was less then encouraging. If I get stuck I hope I can find a shop that will be willing. More to come.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Anyone have experience getting the Torque converter in the housing? It doesn't seem like it's all the way in. Is there some secret trick to it? also I don't think I got the correct housing as the one in the pick has a different part number.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 09-29-2016, 10:14 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well this is the new power plant. It should get here by next Tuesday or Wednesday.

3.8L with some surprise bolt-ons.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:27 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job ocmacman... i've been following this post.

There is something primal when you source all the big $$$ parts you have been and getting you hands greasy installing.
All that raw precision German metal just waiting to get put back on the car... smells like... victory!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Is that a 3.6 or 3.8? Did you get the ECU with it?
Where you able to reengage your torque converter to the trans?
You questioned earlier if you should mate the engine to the trans prior to installing in the car. Yes you should.
Good luck, keep us posted
Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great to see you got the motor/trans

Is your shoe really pink?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:32 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbennett
Nice job ocmacman... i've been following this post.

There is something primal when you source all the big $$$ parts you have been and getting you hands greasy installing.
All that raw precision German metal just waiting to get put back on the car... smells like... victory!
Getting the engine was a bit more difficult but the tranny was easy. I am going to take the day off once the motor arrives. Very exciting indeed.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:49 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolfk
Is that a 3.6 or 3.8? Did you get the ECU with it?
Where you able to reengage your torque converter to the trans?
You questioned earlier if you should mate the engine to the trans prior to installing in the car. Yes you should.
Good luck, keep us posted
It's a 3.8L from a 2007 C2S. I am trying to trade my ECU for the one that came out of this car. If I can't then I'll just have to take it to be programmed. I see the engine has an IPD plenum on it so that was a real nice surprise. It also looks like it has some tubi headers.
I am still waiting for the intermediate housing to be delivered. Once I get that I will install the drive plate. I think I got it all the way in on the Torque Converter. Won't really know till get the housing. I will mate the two together. I do want to replace most of the bolt on items though. Does anyone know how much clearance I need? I have some 6 ton jack stands that can go up to 23 5/8 inches high.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Great to see you got the motor/trans

Is your shoe really pink?
Hey, my wife is out of town so they were the nearest thing to the garage.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Ok, so the freight company called me this morning and said the engine will be at my house tomorrow (Wednesday) between 11:30am and 5pm. So much for my work day. Well I'll work from home tomorrow. So yesterday I picked up a borrowed engine stand from one of my PCA members here in the OC. I already have a 500 lb hydraulic cart (the tranny is currently sitting on it). I also have a proper transmission jack. So I want to put the tranny on the jack and put the engine on the cart. However I don't know how much the engine weighs. If it's less than 500 lbs then I am good. Other than that I think I may need a hoist to get it on the stand.

When I arrived home today I moved the car to be headfirst in the garage. This was quite the feet as my neighbor was not at home and I had to do it myself. Good exercise. Once the car was in the garage I begin getting it up on jack stands. I have some 6 ton stands and they go up to 23 5\8 inches. I put the as high as I could get them. It got kinda dicy there for a minute as the car moved while I was getting it on jack stands. I have 3 jacks so was a bit easier. I think I have it up high enough but you never know. Here are some shots of my handy work,

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming