Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a nice X51 PDK c2s on ebay now (no affiliation) if you want to shortcut the project and get to driving.

Local to you iirc.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:36 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks but project is fun for right now. Learning a lot about the car. If I had the money would simply buy a white C2S with natural interior. My retirement car is a Panamera 4S.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:03 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So, my question is, "will PASM work on a non S engine?" I know the suspension and engine are different but they share the same computer. Anyone know? If I get a non S engine will I get all my S parts to work?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So, getting close to engine selection. Funds are now available, only 15k though and I need a tranny (TIP) and installation and maybe some building. I do have a good run on a 3.6L 997 drop out motor. I really would like the 3.8L but... this 3.6 is a hell of a deal. it will also allow me to get my tranny and a builder. I just don't know if all my C2S goodies on the car (PASM, Sport mode) will work with a 3.6L Carrera engine? Any thoughts...I feel I am getting close to having this thing on the road. Going to register the title (yes it was a clean title car and not Salvage) next week. Also just an FYI, there are a lot of good items overseas. Just make sure you have someone over there to check things out. I would really like to try and put the tranny in myself, it looks so easy. Doesn't look like it would take long to bolt it in there, however most say mate it to the engine first. Thoughts? This is a learning project you know.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're in uncharted waters for this forum.
PSM and Chrono were options on base model cars, so in theory it should work.
I imagine you will need the ECU from your donor engine also. All that stuff has to communicate with each other, then there is ignition key coding.
Good luck to you, and keep us posted. Your thread is interesting even though you probably won't be able to get much technical help here.

Last edited by Wolfk; 09-09-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:29 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Saw this on auto trader while browsing today and thought of this thread. 2009 targa 4S for 11.5k. Looks like front damage but if you could buy the roller, pull the engine and related components, you could sell the rest to recoup a good amount of the cost. Looks like the car has PDK, carrera S II rear wheels and full leather interior. Link
Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Can you put a 997.2 DFI engine into an older 997.1 - I'm not sure, but know there are differences throughout the car. For example, the 997.2 car has a 3-axis accelerometer from the factory for the PASM suspension whereas the 997.1 only a 2-axis. Modules like this communicate across the CanBus network and are sometimes tied into the DME so I'm not just not sure it's a plug and play setup with the rest of the car. OP, maybe someone like Sharkwerks could advise you, but at the price listed, seems like a great find from Kellen for you if it's workable.

Originally Posted by Kellen
Saw this on auto trader while browsing today and thought of this thread. 2009 targa 4S for 11.5k. Looks like front damage but if you could buy the roller, pull the engine and related components, you could sell the rest to recoup a good amount of the cost. Looks like the car has PDK, carrera S II rear wheels and full leather interior. Link

Last edited by Petza914; 09-09-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:48 PM
bimmer81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wiring loom on a 3.6 and 3.8 are identical. I have wiring loom schematics for both cars. You can look up the wiring loom part numbers for an 06 and they will match. If your donor came with ecu, key, ignition switch, immobilizer, and ignition steering lock you have no issues cranking the 3.6. 1000% plug and play.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:16 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kellen
Thanks for the Link Kellen. My car is a Tiptronic C2S. Not sure if the PDK can talk to it at all. However the engine is a possibility.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:16 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 997 S Project (almost there)

Well it's getting close. Money is in the bank and I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a motor. Exciting times for me now. Wife is out of town and I can do what I want (so time is of the essence).

So here is the deal. I need a motor and tip tranny. I have a small budget of 15-18k. Motor, tranny and install. There are residual funds but mostly for the install and tuning.

So I have several leads on motors. One internationally, however the seller is kind of elusive. It is a 3.8L dropin with all ancillaries and headers. Emailed me but not connected via phone yet. Engine is rebuilt. Wants a few thousand less than budget.

The next opportunity is international as well within the budget. It's a 3.6L not the 3.8. However I felt a connection with the seller, he sent me lots of pics and bank information. Now this is a good deal for a 3.6L with 45k miles on it. However it's not the S engine I would like. Maybe can be bored up?

The next option is from local salvage yard in Sacramento area for a 3.8L with about 35k miles and it weighs in at (my whole budget and is a used engine). May be some room to negotiate but not sure.

Time is moving so Monday or Tuesday I will make a decision. So any helpful suggestions, thoughts, experiences will be appreciated. Oh, buying the roller member Kellen mentioned is a good option too and one I am thinking about. That roller is 11k and is a C4S PDK. I would be wanting only the engine though as my car is a tip.

There is a computer in my car ( very happy about that. However when I went to the DIY on the sharkwerks page there was a smaller module on top of the ECU with a bracket. I don't have that on mine. It appears to be missing. What is that module??

This is my ECU as it sits in my car

The small module on this ECU is missing on mine. What is that module??

So I also called a few builders (shops to install these items) and seems like many of them are very busy. Who knew there was such good porsche business. Well I may want to go with smaller shops or individuals who have a passion for porsches. There are plenty in my PCA area however if anyone has used anyone here in local southern CA, Arizona, or Northern California please chime in.

So I am going to button some items up today in anticipating my car being towed (love towing with my Cayenne) to somewhere in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:10 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolfk
You're in uncharted waters for this forum.
PSM and Chrono were options on base model cars, so in theory it should work.
I imagine you will need the ECU from your donor engine also. All that stuff has to communicate with each other, then there is ignition key coding.
Good luck to you, and keep us posted. Your thread is interesting even though you probably won't be able to get much technical help here.
Actually I have gotten immeasurable help here. I got help in doing my coolant system and brakes, rotors and pads, seat belts and the list goes on. If it wasn't for this forum my project would be dead in the water. Now I have also provided my help and experience to others as well as sold items and purchased items. What would make you think I couldn't get any help here or on 6speedonline or PCA.org? If there is something you need I am sure myself and other members will come to your aide.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:12 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Can you put a 997.2 DFI engine into an older 997.1 - I'm not sure, but know there are differences throughout the car. For example, the 997.2 car has a 3-axis accelerometer from the factory for the PASM suspension whereas the 997.1 only a 2-axis. Modules like this communicate across the CanBus network and are sometimes tied into the DME so I'm not just not sure it's a plug and play setup with the rest of the car. OP, maybe someone like Sharkwerks could advise you, but at the price listed, seems like a great find from Kellen for you if it's workable.
Thanks Petz. Items I purchased from you are in good use. I am thinking about the donor car. However I am hoping one of the other options I am working on comes through.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Wow, I have called some local porsche shops and no shortage of we don't want the hassle or waste in time to put your project together. Most have down right said it's a waste of time. Now if I were to name these shops you would all know who they are. So I am finding out that building and working on your car is a dying art. The learning and better understanding I am getting from this project is helping me not just on porsche cars but on my M5 too. Most shops are saying they don't have the time (understand I am paying not asking for freebie) and giving me all kinds of reasons why this or that won't work. Well I guess if Ferdinand had listened to these folks we wouldn't be driving porsche. I thought my biggest problem would be getting an engine and tyranny but that was easy. I may look at installing them myself. I am mechanically inclined and I have a Masters degree so what could go wrong. :-) Ok off my soap box now.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Wow, I have called some local porsche shops and no shortage of we don't want the hassle or waste in time to put your project together. Most have down right said it's a waste of time. Now if I were to name these shops you would all know who they are. So I am finding out that building and working on your car is a dying art. The learning and better understanding I am getting from this project is helping me not just on porsche cars but on my M5 too. Most shops are saying they don't have the time (understand I am paying not asking for freebie) and giving me all kinds of reasons why this or that won't work. Well I guess if Ferdinand had listened to these folks we wouldn't be driving porsche. I thought my biggest problem would be getting an engine and tyranny but that was easy. I may look at installing them myself. I am mechanically inclined and I have a Masters degree so what could go wrong. :-) Ok off my soap box now.
So, what exactly are you trying to do?

You know, my company The Knowledge Gruppe offers hands on, and online Enthusiast level technical classes for these engines...
Old 09-13-2016, 04:32 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I am just trying to put a 3.8L S motor and Tip tranny into a 2006 C2S. The engine and transmission is from a 2006 C2S car with 35k miles. Doesn't seem like rocket science but some make it sound like this kind of thing doesn't happen everyday.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming