Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Maloo22
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, have been surfing the thread for a while , and now that I've had mine for a while the fun begins

So was wondering if anyone knows of or has a set of 996 Turbo rims floating around - specifically for track days so I don't have to chamge tyres all the time

Also, looking for CF interior bits - if anyone knows or has access to someone competant with CF ( I heard some of the ex team NZ sailing guys are doing all sorts of custom CF parts but can't get names or numbers unfortunately )

Mine had the walnut trim as an option.............and has been painted black but looks very average

Has anyone tried Michelin PS2 N3 tyres? Unfortunately the new super sports don't come in myn size, and I don't want to go up a rim size either

have dome the rounds and Pirelli don't seem to get a good rap, Conti's get a decent rap but apparently hard to find, which leaves Michelin which everyone raves about as being great

have had them "pencil" a set in for me, but if anyone has any additonal feedback I'm all ears

Look forward to any feedback,comments,contributions anyone has - have to love forums as away of learning from others and saving paying for bad experiences
Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Hi Maloo,

You need to come to one of our track days.

Chris B is the 996TT track wheel king. Maybe he will chime in. I bought one set from him, but on sold to another Rennlister after a coolant fitting popped at the track. My 996TT won't be going back out on the track as I don't want to do the preventative maintenance with two other cars to look after.

Rather than CF, maybe look at an interior from a wrecked car. There may be an Australian car coming here soon. Steve R from Pirongia is bringing a wreck in from Australia.

As for tyres, I bought N3 Michelin PS2 in from the UK in late 2012. A good tyre on road and for occasional track days but at $2,250 landed the n3 rating ups the cost on non n rated options from the US. Macca has some experience there.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Maloo22
Hi all, have been surfing the thread for a while , and now that I've had mine for a while the fun begins

So was wondering if anyone knows of or has a set of 996 Turbo rims floating around - specifically for track days so I don't have to chamge tyres all the time

Also, looking for CF interior bits - if anyone knows or has access to someone competant with CF ( I heard some of the ex team NZ sailing guys are doing all sorts of custom CF parts but can't get names or numbers unfortunately )

Mine had the walnut trim as an option.............and has been painted black but looks very average

Has anyone tried Michelin PS2 N3 tyres? Unfortunately the new super sports don't come in myn size, and I don't want to go up a rim size either

have dome the rounds and Pirelli don't seem to get a good rap, Conti's get a decent rap but apparently hard to find, which leaves Michelin which everyone raves about as being great

have had them "pencil" a set in for me, but if anyone has any additonal feedback I'm all ears

Look forward to any feedback,comments,contributions anyone has - have to love forums as away of learning from others and saving paying for bad experiences
Hi. Try Dave Taylor at Motorsport Services for the wheels. He will either have some or will likely know someone who has some to sell.

In terms of tyres for the track, you can't go wrong with Hankook Z221's, they come in sizes to fit 996tt and cost around $2,050 for a set (GST incl. and fitted and balanced). They are also dot rated, so road legal but probably not ideal for everyday use.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Maloo22
Track Day

awesome - many thanks - did you get hit with Duty on importing the tyres? Track day sounds great - are they in conjunction with playday?

Cheers
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Maloo22
Track Day

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Hi. Try Dave Taylor at Motorsport Services for the wheels. He will either have some or will likely know someone who has some to sell.

In terms of tyres for the track, you can't go wrong with Hankook Z221's, they come in sizes to fit 996tt and cost around $2,050 for a set (GST incl. and fitted and balanced). They are also dot rated, so road legal but probably not ideal for everyday use.
Great, thanks Chris, will follow up
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maloo22
awesome - many thanks - did you get hit with Duty on importing the tyres? Track day sounds great - are they in conjunction with playday? Cheers
Yes, had to pay customs fee, GST etc. still far cheaper than buying in NZ. $125 to fit when landed in NZ.

Yes, track days are with Playday, however usually we book a Porsche specific session with our group Rennsport.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Maloo22
Track Day

another question - the 996TT I have was tuned through Triple X , but they are no longer around - does anyone know which tunes they used to sell? No problems , just like to know - boosts to 1.1/2 and confirmed it was standard by motorscience - cheers
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Maloo22
Track Day

NOT standard I mean
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice garage!
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2014, 11:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Nice garage!
Are you hoping they will procreate
Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I think they did already. There is a 3rd (red) one just arrived stuffed away down there. I started mine up and revved it just for the hell of it. Im sure I wouldn't be feeling as buggered as I do now if I had have driven the GT3 on the SITT. Im 100% knackered. The trip up from Taupo yesterday seemed inordinately long. I was close to reaching for Joanna's tramadol. 5000km in the 993 was all going fine until after CHCH. I think we were just worn out. Next time would send the car back by transporter absolutely no doubt!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Nigels car is in CCS for exactly same issue as mine will be soon. Replacement of G50, 3rd synchro ring (brass interestingly - as I thought the GT3 had steel but apparently not on the standard 002 spec)). Only 50k km. Looks like the track work definitely accelerates this type of wear. Paul had his 3rd done twice in the C3 and Matt needs some work on his on the 6.2 GT3 so it appears they are not un breakable after all. Im sure driving style has something to do with it. SITT was a great lesson on how to treat 2nd-3rd with more care....
Old 03-30-2014, 11:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I drove the 996TT to HD on Saturday and today for 1 hour in rush hour traffic. A different world with tip and Aircon. Still glad I did the SITT in the C4 but would likely mix and match next time. More transport less driving.

When are you looking at doing the data swap?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Synchro ring for the 964 is about $150. I imagine the overall bill is a lot more to actually fit. I will just take it easy for a while on that change. I don't need that expense until I have my suspension sorted.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca,

Your chance to do HD tomorrow avo (see below)

Uncles....

** INDEMNITY FORM ATTACHED **
** PLEASE COMPLETE - PRINT -BRING WITH YOU TOMORROW!! **
When: Tuesday April 1st - **Twilight** Laps Start @ 4.30pm and will run through to 07.00pm
Sign in from 4.00pm THE SOONER WE ARE DONE THE SOONER WE ARE ON THE TRACK!!
If track gates are closed Sign in will be at ticket office in main carpark then gates will open @ 4.30pm

What to Bring:$65 Per Driver - Cash or Cheque Sorry No Eftpos/Credit Facilities Available
Helmets are Compulsory - Motorbike / Motor Cross Helmets are OK

Where: Hampton Downs Motor Sport Park - Hampton Downs Road Off SH 1 Waikato Expressway - Centre Track

*** All Vehicles and All Driving Skills Welcome ***

For More Details Please Phone / Email:

Hayden: 021 514 422 unclesclub@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?