Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't sleep last night so spent a couple of hours planning two new RSG inspired road trips.

Queen's Birthday weekend, Friday night 30th May to Monday 2nd June inclusive.
Far North Twin Coast Discovery based from Opononi. All those wonderful coastal places in the far north where we haven't ventured.

Easter 2015
Take the week prior and the week after Easter off (8 days leave) for the full fat South Island road trip. Enough time to stop 2 nights in some places to take it all in. And share some of the special SITT drives with your loved one.
Some must do's sneaking onto my list in no particular order are
Nelson Wowcars Museum - missed this time :-(
Lewis Pass the long way via Reefton
Arthurs Pass
Mt Cook (of course)
Mckenzie country
Milford Sound
Doubtful sound overnight cruise
More of Southland that remains unexplored for me.
Kaikoura coast
Akaroa 2 nights - Taste of France

Anyway, much to think about, research and plan.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:08 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Dan's mean machine suitably dressed with a RSG banner by John
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:10 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Bit damp overnight but not raining now
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Since being in the South island Im sold on the South Island 20th Anniversary Tour. The South Island roads are great but they are quite fast compared to NI twisty roads and there are also police once off the west coast. I think the Targa Tour would be the perfect platform for anyone who like a quick drive to not only enjoy some remarkable closed roads but also so awesome touring roads on the way down (i.e. Westcoast etc). As they days go by its increasingly appealing.

We met the team at Autothority yesterday and spent over 1 hour at their workshop. What a great bunch of guys. Treated us like royalty and knew the car already even though they had never seen it. Dean radio'd ahead and pulled a few favours. Had a tour and they are down the road from LINK who do their aftermarket tuning (they dont use Motec there). Great organisation of competent professionals - Glynn was busy building and engine there and Wayne was kind and treated us like VIP clients. They do race cars and other interesting stuff too including old-timers. Definitely a good outfit to support a SI Porsche attack from.

Whilst there met Michael Pierson (now moved with Rosemary to CHCH from Auckland). He and Rosemary doing South Island Traga Tour this year in teh boxster and were very excited to hear we were going and perhaps a few from RSG. They are emailing me to organise perhaps a CHCH start with cars supported by Autothority if needed.

Just another alternative for anyone feeling they missed out this time around - the Targa Tour will give you some great fast drives, some track work and plenty of scenic touring along with great like minded folks from all marques as an option....
Old 03-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Guys. Enjoy your walk up to the Glacier this morning and get some pictures for us please :-)
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Guys. Enjoy your walk up to the Glacier this morning and get some pictures for us please :-)
No Glacier. Everyone just wants to drive.

Brothers from another mother.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

What time do you anticipate you will hit the Crown Ranges? Its probably well earlier than us but otherwise would be a good group drive. Ill be needing a fast switchback by then and this sounds like the tonic!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:15 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
If anyone has an aftermarket exhaust on their 997 Turbo I'd also love to hear it in person. Or 996 for that matter. Have been looking into options for my car for a while and am sick of listening to low bitrate YouTube clips recorded on mobile phones.
Sure, mine's a REMUS (their capitals not mine). I've never heard it at full revs from outside the car but the Formula Challenge guys at Hampton said it sounded great on track. 70mm ID, 100 cell race cats, nice quad tips, and squeaks in just under the road legal limit for rear engined cars (had it tested). Do you ever come past Drury during the working week? Chris's FVD Brombacher kitted 996T also lurks in these parts but is away terrorising the South Island just now.

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-19-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Trundle
Track Day

Hi guys, languishing in Hong Kong where I am catching up on your SI adventures. Hope the Stuttgart metal is holding up and the boys in blue have not issued too many invites to the Government grab fund!! You can count me in for the NITT in the Cayman as most track mods will be complete by then. Really wish I was there after receiving Johns txt & pics. Flew the Skyhawk in the pic attacking the RN in the BOP in 74. Attack speed was 605 knots @ 50ft on the radio altimeter. Now that's a buzz if ever there was! Have a great time this weekend and see you at a local track sometime. Shopping here - 2 x Mitchelin PS2 so far and looking at OZ racing wheels for 605kias & 3 ft at Hampton. If girls can do retail therapy then so can the boys. Gute Zieten fur alle
Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

So the 991 GT3 issue have been announced? Mark, have you heard anything? Engine replacements all round? 800 odd cars (if the below link is correct):

http://www.autospies.com/news/The-FI...n-Found-80635/
Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Correct. See my post earlier. They will get mine back with well over 4000km before I fly out...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Correct. See my post earlier. They will get mine back with well over 4000km before I fly out...
Leave the keys behind and I'm sure the group can make sure yours has the highest km's on return
Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Since it's getting a new engine, the boys might as well have a bit of fun with the old one aye?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Trundle
Hi guys, languishing in Hong Kong where I am catching up on your SI adventures. Hope the Stuttgart metal is holding up and the boys in blue have not issued too many invites to the Government grab fund!! You can count me in for the NITT in the Cayman as most track mods will be complete by then. Really wish I was there after receiving Johns txt & pics. Flew the Skyhawk in the pic attacking the RN in the BOP in 74. Attack speed was 605 knots @ 50ft on the radio altimeter. Now that's a buzz if ever there was! Have a great time this weekend and see you at a local track sometime. Shopping here - 2 x Mitchelin PS2 so far and looking at OZ racing wheels for 605kias & 3 ft at Hampton. If girls can do retail therapy then so can the boys. Gute Zieten fur alle
I still clearly remember being at primary school in mount maunganui and the occasional Skyhawk zipping by. Must have been you in one of them.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a few....
great shots Guys. the misty kaikoura morning shot has me hankering to be exported there with my 911 right now.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?