Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Hey Dave what are you building? I must have missed a few posts...
This. A 1970 T with a 3.2.
It will be painted the original Signal Orange and it will bother 964's. Ha! Maybe not.
This will be the full fat, as it comes, original 911 experience but with a couple of big hairy ones instead of grape pips
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 11:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. You haven't had time to have the PSS10 fitted yet I take it? I assume you are still planning this for SITT? Cant wait to see your car lowered John. After teasing you about if for 12 months its finally happening! Did they sort out that top strut bolt or are you running a full set of Dougs old shocks?
Small hiccup. Peter Adler dropped the height but is concerned that the front springs are not strong enough to keep the car off the bump stops on rough roads. He's going to raise it tomorrow to ensure it doesn't bottom out on road driving. Still scratching my head on this one as H&R Reds are the preferred track choice for those that still use their cars for road driving. HD Bilstein and H&R Reds are a classic combo.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
This. A 1970 T with a 3.2.
It will be painted the original Signal Orange and it will bother 964's. Ha! Maybe not.
This will be the full fat, as it comes, original 911 experience but with a couple of big hairy ones instead of grape pips
Yooo Hooo Dave, so it's official.

Mate you are the BIG KAHUNA!!

I shall vicariously enjoy watching your car build.

.............and shamelessly be the first person to ask for a ride..............

Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Small hiccup. Peter Adler dropped the height but is concerned that the front springs are not strong enough to keep the car off the bump stops on rough roads. He's going to raise it tomorrow to ensure it doesn't bottom out on road driving. Still scratching my head on this one as H&R Reds are the preferred track choice for those that still use their cars for road driving. HD Bilstein and H&R Reds are a classic combo.
Hi John. Rather surprising I agree. The H&R springs are progressive so should get firmer under full compression. Assuming Steve has provided you with stock HD Bilstein front shocks I cant really see where the issue would lie, but Im not a 964 suspension expert so would suggest the other boards for help in that area. Unless of course those Bilstiens are past there best and need new inserts and re valving...its the only idea I can offer.

Dave. The journey begins. How exciting. Im guessing this project will take the majority of 2014, so we can settle back into regular updates and watch it like a documentary? Make sure you put plenty of pictures up. Well be looking out for those small Gruppe R signatures along the way (wheels, door mirror, rear grill, maybe some cheese holes in the front bumper aka M.Walker etc). Id really like to see Bamboo feature in there somewhere too!

Paul. You're up next my man. Done properly with PSS10s + sway bars and the magic Alder settings, Im 100% confident you just picked up almost 2s at HD over the factory settings. Better than that, it will feel connected which will increase confidence pushing on. If you do a post suspension HD visit dont come home until you've nailed a 1.18something (there's definitely one in there - its my HD "revisited" target in 2015/6). Ak Dean to dowl pin the front tie rods whilst in there otherwise if done later will require second alignment. Simple job an hour or so labour no real part cost and will improve feedback through the wheel....
Old 02-25-2014, 01:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Hi John. Rather surprising I agree. The H&R springs are progressive so should get firmer under full compression. Assuming Steve has provided you with stock HD Bilstein front shocks I cant really see where the issue would lie, but Im not a 964 suspension expert so would suggest the other boards for help in that area. Unless of course those Bilstiens are past there best and need new inserts and re valving...its the only idea I can offer.
I'm taking a deep breath right now. Basic question going through my mind is why the f$&@ didn't I leave both cars alone as they were working fine?

I now have a car with a seized shock, a broken shock from a matching set and unmatched shocks on the car. I'll see what Peter has managed to get out of what he has to work with, then tie down the loose ends. My goal is to get my RUF strut fixed, have a matching set in the car, then see whether I still have a problem with the springs. In hindsight I should have said stop when the shock was damaged and waited for it to be fixed, even if it meant missing a Playday.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm taking a deep breath right now. Basic question going through my mind is why the f$&@ didn't I leave both cars alone as they were working fine?

I now have a car with a seized shock, a broken shock from a matching set and unmatched shocks on the car. I'll see what Peter has managed to get out of what he has to work with, then tie down the loose ends. My goal is to get my RUF strut fixed, have a matching set in the car, then see whether I still have a problem with the springs. In hindsight I should have said stop when the shock was damaged and waited for it to be fixed, even if it meant missing a Playday.
From someone how has been bred dry with old 911 bills, take it from me and what Macca said about 400 pages ago - sell all 3 cars (well at least 2), take the hit and go buy a 997.1 GT3 or a 997 TT (with low mileage).

You will save money.................

Old 911's are for posing or have been rebuilt new (and owe as much as a new one) if you want reliability.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave. The journey begins. How exciting. Im guessing this project will take the majority of 2014, so we can settle back into regular updates and watch it like a documentary? Make sure you put plenty of pictures up. Well be looking out for those small Gruppe R signatures along the way (wheels, door mirror, rear grill, maybe some cheese holes in the front bumper aka M.Walker etc). Id really like to see Bamboo feature in there somewhere too.
Thanks gents.
It will take a while but that will depend on who muscles in front of me with their projects. I have a particular interest in the interior. The colour lends itself to shades of brown which then opens up the lovely earthy tones....blah blah....I'm in the window and door game and I recently have been seriously sort of not even joking with our marketing people that bronze anodising is on its way back and I have a range of door furniture planned that will be complete with calf skin inlays, stitched leather wraps and wood veneer! Perfect mix with orange. Got to be careful that the 911's interior doesn't turn into a trinket shop though. Will be interesting and if it all looks ****e a fall back position is .......black

Last edited by Maxem; 02-25-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is one of my favourite 993 interiors (with backdate 964 lower dash) Doug which I think will strike a cord with you. You will need to imagine it in black carpet. Very similar to the ones you posted, nice mono chrome look with drilled billet alloy anodised black features....all parts can be purchased off the shelf and not an overly expensive conversion . Not much I would personally add to this other than the ubiquitous Heigo half cage and these cool drilled black exterior door handles which match the inside door furniture, along with the WEVO anodised shifter with Pelican drilled shifter head for effect...
Nice all right. I prefer the look of the plain more minimalist shifter in the image I posted but there's some nice ideas in there. I like the leather dash too.

I have the same prototipo wheel as in the pics you posted and I've searched around without much luck to try and find a porsche horn buttoni. I understand Porsche stopped Momo from making them some years ago and they may be a bit like hens teeth? Do you know where I could get one from?

I'm going to take my time and use the car for a while before making too many mods.

This. A 1970 T with a 3.2. It will be painted the original Signal Orange and it will bother 964's. Ha! Maybe not. This will be the full fat, as it comes, original 911 experience but with a couple of big hairy ones instead of grape pips
My favourite early 911 colour. Exciting stuff!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks gents. It will take a while but that will depend on who muscles in front of me with their projects. I have a particular interest in the interior. The colour lends itself to shades of brown which then opens up the lovely earthy tones....blah blah....as you know I'm in the window and door game and I recently have been seriously sort of not even joking with our marketing people that bronze anodising is on its way back and I have a range of door furniture planned that will be complete with calf skin inlays, stitched leather wraps and wood veneer! Got to be careful that the 911's interior doesn't turn into a trinket shop though. Will be interesting and if it all looks ****e a fall back position is .......black
Ha ha, black and orange.... What with orange piping on the black leather? Nah.... Stick with your vision. I think it will be awesome.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2014, 02:05 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
From someone how has been bred dry with old 911 bills, take it from me and what Macca said about 400 pages ago - sell all 3 cars (well at least 2), take the hit and go buy a 997.1 GT3 or a 997 TT (with low mileage). You will save money................. Old 911's are for posing or have been rebuilt new (and owe as much as a new one) if you want reliability. .
Where's the fun in being practical?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
From someone how has been bred dry with old 911 bills, take it from me and what Macca said about 400 pages ago - sell all 3 cars (well at least 2), take the hit and go buy a 997.1 GT3 or a 997 TT (with low mileage). You will save money................. Old 911's are for posing or have been rebuilt new (and owe as much as a new one) if you want reliability. .
Sound logic, but I don't have a connection to those cars so my money isn't going to follow What I'm annoyed about here is high risk / low reward work. I'm also wondering why I haven't done what I said I would and do more of my own work. The satisfaction is enormous in taking charge of your car. Some work will always be beyond me, but things like the alternator were not difficult.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Where's the fun in being practical?
Snap.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. You got away for long enough with the 964T on original 20 year old shocks so I'd consider that a win. Could have been worse. Could have collapsed the shock on a high speed corner....

I agree it's bad luck with the ruf shocks. I've learnt to expect the unexpected with these old girls and get in early enough to have FDM airfreight me the parts if I need them. In your case that doesn't apply but I understand how you feel. After my experience as I've said before I wouldn't have bothered with the spring stage and gone direct to coil lovers as the $$$ sure add up as you will find stripping and ego each time you play with struts and springs. 4k for coil lovers starts looking cheaper each time you change things out. As long as it handles ok for SITT that's the main thing - we won't say a work about the height. - promise!!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:16 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John, I have a 3.3T rear shock with 48K kms on it without a home if you need it?

Last edited by 964X33; 02-25-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
John, I have a 3.3T rear shock with 48K ams on it without a home if you need it?
Thanks Jason, but it's the front I need.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?