Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Hopefully you found a few extra HP John. Contis' checked Lola's WOT and it was all good. In fact, all the "common" problems that can let you down were checked out and the only issues (now fixed) were the fan/alternator bearing had play (renewed) and the fan belt sensor wheel was cracked (replaced). So, have certainly tried to avoid any issues on the tour.
Lack of full throttle travel was unexpected, I thought it was likely just a microswitch issue. Now all I need is a functioning suspension so I can find out how much it's given me, both on the AIM circuit I used with the chip and on the track. I expect it isn't as great a find as it sounds as I'm only losing ~ 12km/hr max over Pete's car up the main straight.

My rough calc is that 1 second on average at HD when circulating at 1:22 is ~ 31 meters / second. An extra 12km/hr average would drop the lap time by 8 seconds. However, we're only talking maximum speed gains. Maybe just over half the distance is accelerating, then at more modest average gains. Heck, half a second per lap might be fanciful. There's far more to gain in conquering turn 1. The real boost will be in track enjoyment when playing with similar power/weight ratio cars. It's really annoying to nail turn 10 and have others pull away up the main straight.

For an old car, you are getting away lightly. The sensor is a perennial fail. I've replaced it on both my cars. The window sounds more expensive, but again age is a factor. What's important is the base health of the car. If you want, given we are running in separate groups on Wednesday, you can run the AIM to do a final check on engine health and see where you are against the benchmark 964 runs.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
For an old car, you are getting away lightly. The sensor is a perennial fail. I've replaced it on both my cars. The window sounds more expensive, but again age is a factor. What's important is the base health of the car. If you want, given we are running in separate groups on Wednesday, you can run the AIM to do a final check on engine health and see where you are against the benchmark 964 runs.
Thanks for the offer of the AIM John. It will be my first outing on the track in a 911 and I think I'd rathe not have the pressure of any timing at all although we could run the AIM and not tell me what my times are I guess. Sharing with Dave is going to be nice and means we both get two sessions. For Dave, he's indicated he's going to be taking it easy and for me I want to gradually get the feel of the car. Sure, I'll be WOT up the back straight but braking early as the last thing I want to do is screw it up thinking it will handle the same way as the 20 years younger and different balance Boxster. It can compete, but requires a different driving style I expect.

I'll be trying to follow Steve's advice, get the feel, work on lines and breaking distances and only push harder once your turns are perfected. Well that's the theory which is well and fine until the red mist descends :-P

I'm really looking forward to it. Ive has less than 200k in the drivers seat thus far which is very unlike me. Heel and toe feels awkward. I need to do it another 200 time to get it smooth. i do it every day in the Boxster but the pedal and gear action and placement are very different. After the Cape Reinga trip it will all feel more familiar.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer of the AIM John. It will be my first outing on the track in a 911 and I think I'd rathe not have the pressure of any timing at all although we could run the AIM and not tell me what my times are I guess. Sharing with Dave is going to be nice and means we both get two sessions. For Dave, he's indicated he's going to be taking it easy and for me I want to gradually get the feel of the car. Sure, I'll be WOT up the back straight but braking early as the last thing I want to do is screw it up thinking it will handle the same way as the 20 years younger and different balance Boxster. It can compete, but requires a different driving style I expect. I'll be trying to follow Steve's advice, get the feel, work on lines and breaking distances and only push harder once your turns are perfected. Well that's the theory which is well and fine until the red mist descends :-P I'm really looking forward to it. Ive has less than 200k in the drivers seat thus far which is very unlike me. Heel and toe feels awkward. I need to do it another 200 time to get it smooth. i do it every day in the Boxster but the pedal and gear action and placement are very different. After the Cape Reinga trip it will all feel more familiar.
It wasn't really for the timing, but for the dynamics, lines etc. For example you can see braking points clearly on the AIM.

I agree with your strategy. However I wouldn't over emphasise the 911 dynamics. Sure it's more rearward biased than the Boxster, but it's not a dark art. The thing I've really come to appreciate in the last few months is what slow in fast out really means. It's counterintuitive to put power on in corners but the added rear grip is very noticeable of you do. My aim this Wednesday is to nail turn 3. That section seems to be where I'm most competitive and I think I can get more out of it yet.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
It wasn't really for the timing, but for the dynamics, lines etc. For example you can see braking points clearly on the AIM. I agree with your strategy. However I wouldn't over emphasise the 911 dynamics. Sure it's more rearward biased than the Boxster, but it's not a dark art. The thing I've really come to appreciate in the last few months is what slow in fast out really means. It's counterintuitive to put power on in corners but the added rear grip is very noticeable of you do. My aim this Wednesday is to nail turn 3. That section seems to be where I'm most competitive and I think I can get more out of it yet.
Good points John. When I last followed you through turn 3 you were noticeably quick
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Good points John. When I last followed you through turn 3 you were noticeably quick
And yet Steve's trace shows there is another 0.3 seconds to gain from braking point at turn 2 until braking point at turn 4 by staying on the throttle more.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:39 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Nicked from Facebook. red all over for you Pete...
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Good approach. Ditch the time gear and just get some seat time in the car at your own pace. Probably not possible this time but take an experienced 911 driver out to show you the best 911 lines if possible. I'm not sure how much seat time John has in the bizarre but I recall from Mt cotton the bizarre is quite different to drive at speed than the old 2WD 911s so would just get the flow of 2-10 but take it ver easy on 1 till you understand the car under brakes and throttle.

You can over analyse data. Going fast is about understanding the balance and physics of the car and how it relates to the terrains you are covering. Understand this and you can be fast everywhere event on unknown routes and circuits.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bloody iPhone spellcheck bizzare is boxster lol
Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

THey're coming out of the woodwork now. THis can't be too far off what Dave is planning - colour and all.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-699108926.htm
Old 02-21-2014, 04:42 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Bloody iPhone spellcheck bizzare is boxster lol
Macca, you know that you can go back and edit a post.... I often post, the see the glaring typo and quickly go back and edit it. Bizarre really threw me - haha.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:51 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug. Good approach. Ditch the time gear and just get some seat time in the car at your own pace. Probably not possible this time but take an experienced 911 driver out to show you the best 911 lines if possible. I'm not sure how much seat time John has in the bizarre but I recall from Mt cotton the bizarre is quite different to drive at speed than the old 2WD 911s so would just get the flow of 2-10 but take it ver easy on 1 till you understand the car under brakes and throttle. You can over analyse data. Going fast is about understanding the balance and physics of the car and how it relates to the terrains you are covering. Understand this and you can be fast everywhere event on unknown routes and circuits.
You've nailed it for me in those comments Macca. John is doing really well out of his analysis and working on points. My style currently is different. Less thinking and analysis, more feel and trial and error. Ive been out with Steve several times in his 911 and have followed many 911s. I dont think there will be any difference in lines. The difference will be in balance, under/over steer on the limit and the wet, breaking points and breaking effectiveness, different torque curve, lack of power etc.

You've driven the Boxster/Cayman platform hard... Many who havent wont appreciate how bloody good it is. I catch many cars at HD, ones that burnt me off on acceleration, when I late brake into the corners and make up 50 metres or more. I expect I wont be able to do that in the 964 C2.

However, this talk is all theory. I won't really know until I try it. I'd rather do my familiarisation with no passenger telling me what to do.... Just getting the feel and getting into the groove by myself.

However, being able to look at my trace vs say steve's optimal one would be useful feedback after the event.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:04 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Should have added "I can't fricking wait"
Old 02-21-2014, 05:23 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

^^^^^ John. The slogan reminds me of something I was taught in biology about females that co-habitat close to one another synchronising certain biological rhythms...
Bahaha! Sadly that is true.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Has anyone used Stop Tech Street Performance pads? If so what are your opinions on them?

Name:  BF36380C-BB25-47DF-BAD6-FF96D2F7E780_zps3j4jsnlj.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  152.4 KB
Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Its Art Deco weekend here in Napier, saw these visitors in a Maritime blue 993 Cab:

Name:  695E1D4D-70BF-420E-AA6F-939D98F68A24_zpslphfmmex.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  110.1 KB

PS, why do my PhotoBucket photos only show links to the photos. Every other forum it work correctly and shows the photo.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?