Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Haha, I exempted the Project Car's rego out to February but I hope to have a WOF before December so I can relicense it (expired yesterday). It will need a shakedown after that. Could be months before it's ready for sale. No pressure is the way I'm playing it. I'm very happy with the progress on some parts. Steve R came to the party on the door pulls. If only the seat recovering was as timely.

As for the roadies. Decision is made. Running a 26 year old car you intend to keep until you cark it is a different world to planet Macca.
LOL! That statement has no integrity till you have held Herman longer than my 17 years ownership of the 993 ;-P

I know all about running 20+ year cars reliably on the road/targa/track. My empty wallet tells the story.

When the grease in my rear driver side CV dried up from 10 years of much storage related inactivity, I replaced both drive shafts with new ones along with all the flange bolts and boots. I did the rear wheel bearings same time and replaced the lower A arms with factory new just to be sure.

If you are really thinking you will hold Herman longer than 17 years then suggest you buy two drive shafts while they are still "cheap" and replace both on Herman so you are not unexpectedly hobbled and then after replacing the project one you have a spare for later. That said they should last a long time given the mileage and use Herman is likely to see moving forward.

I thought you had found a way to service these without replacing the whole assembly? Or an I thinking that was just for the gearbox end of the shaft?
Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Cost to comply will be around 8-10k with road tyres. Apparently the car is too firm for targa with the KW set up the way they are, but with a second set of springs could manage Targa well.

I'm very keen to buy one of these when they have come down a bit in price (I think around 125k they could work). I would sell the GT3 and use this as my track car and might look to enter Targa competition.

I can see a lot of cars in rapid success on my move back to NZ. Yesterday I got to look at a Ford Focus RS properly in the flesh and actually sit in one. I have to confess I didn't go into it with much in the way of massive anticipation but the thing looks much better in the flesh than I anticipated - the nitrous blue paint looked like a flat colour on a typical part cloudy day and I really liked it and the bucket seat was not too high for me (I have short torso not like Pete as the two of us have found out prior). In fact I loved the driving position. They had 84k on their 730km demo snd the sales guy tried to tell me the only way to buy one beforeNov next year is to pay 5-10k over for a used demo. Robbers!

Has anyone hear driven the new C4S yet? OMG -always said I'd prefer a NA over Turbo but guys you gotta try this thing it's like driving a 991 TTS except lighter and more nimble! These things are threatening GT3/4 on track on road tyres in US and UK and now u can see why - 369lbft and a flat torque curve. Mine has sports exhaust still sounded a bit naff but all is almost forgiven once you are under thrust. I'm sure they will improve rove the sound in the future. Its definitely better namely a game changer when you drive one...the future of the GT cars will be turbo within 3 years the predic
that cost to comply is unexpectedly cheap Macca. very interesting. might have Leong lining up too? Way different to the problems and cost of complying a gt3 cup that we have discussed in the past
Old 11-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed Graeme. However this was told to me by CCS and they have yet to complete the process. I dont think PAG can produce a Cert of Conform for the car in Germany as it never had road aspirations but maybe they have a work around or will use LVVC. Im guessing the LHD thing will mean the ownership cannot transfer for a period of time unless its simply sold as a race car. I really enjoyed the cockpit, its small (NZ cars are supplied with two seats a Halo and non Halo for passenger) the wheel is small and flat bottom with CF paddled and a very distinctive, mechanical click. The car had a very well crafted full weld in cage FIA and full aircon plus user selectable ABS settings. They are shipped on Michelin transport tyres which are not DOT rated so obvioulsy you would need to fit dot rated tyres for compliance. I believe running this car on Z221 would make for a perfect, durable and low overhead track day weapon. The negine and gearbox are off teh shelf, the brakes are PF calipers same as on 991 GT3 Cup. As I have recently found ordering a bit of under body plastic for the GT3 the Motorsports Parts are WAY cheaper in NZ than the road car parts - I believe they dont have the "NZ Porsche Tax" on them. EMD must keep these parts close to cost to encourage participation. The KW suspension is specific to the car as are some of the aero appendages such as the rear wing but I checked and all body panels are the same as the production GT4 (alloy doors etc). I think it would be a very effective Targa weapon set up softer with less aggressive geo and dot R tyres.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:58 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I do like the idea of a road complied clubsport. the only thing that has put me off in the past is the repair cost of any Targa mishap in a Pcar. Its easy to say that you can always take it easier and drive with due care but in practice the conditions are always so varied and often difficult that the margin of error is sometimes less than expected (or nil).

The patch of road that caught out Sims, Early and West in the 4wd field coming down the gentle annies looked ok and the targa investigators said no oil on the road. We certainly had an unexpected moment but managed to catch it but others not so lucky. for some reason the cam froze and needed a reset so we didn't get it on video unfortunately.

We were going faster than last year because we had some guys around us in class also going fast, and although had 2 tricky moments never threatened to get off the tarmac in the 4 days - 1 1/2 of which were wet. I find the hardest thing is to judge what the pace should be to go fast enough but still maintain that margin of safety.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

LOL! That statement has no integrity till you have held Herman longer than my 17 years ownership of the 993 ;-P

I know all about running 20+ year cars reliably on the road/targa/track. My empty wallet tells the story.

When the grease in my rear driver side CV dried up from 10 years of much storage related inactivity, I replaced both drive shafts with new ones along with all the flange bolts and boots. I did the rear wheel bearings same time and replaced the lower A arms with factory new just to be sure.

If you are really thinking you will hold Herman longer than 17 years then suggest you buy two drive shafts while they are still "cheap" and replace both on Herman so you are not unexpectedly hobbled and then after replacing the project one you have a spare for later. That said they should last a long time given the mileage and use Herman is likely to see moving forward.

I thought you had found a way to service these without replacing the whole assembly? Or an I thinking that was just for the gearbox end of the shaft?
I have no intention of selling Herman whatsoever (I have 3 full service kits in my garage) However the use is changing and will continue to evolve. The road trips are a real highlight right now especially when other air cooled cars come along. East Cape was great as was the Cape Reinga trip. The Touranaki trip is less than a month away and there is Oakura in early Jan. I'll still enjoy Taupo on Monday, it just won't be with Z221s and Mano a Mano with Doug and Tony. I don't think they will heartbroken.

As for driveshafts.The killer is a lack of grease. Whether that is a torn boot or it being past its best. Unfortunately the outer CV is not fixable but is the one that usually goes as the joint articulates more at that end and is exposed to road debris etc when torn.

Steve was not convinced that I should be doing things in anticipation of breakages e.g. Bearings but held a firm view that new parts should go on Herman, not the Project car.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Now you put it like that Graeme I see your point entirely. Its really only an option for the very well heeled.

I cant really see the viability till these cars depreciate, and they will definitely do that if they stay in NZ. As of today no one that has bought them has a specific series here to run them in. I believe there are two series that can participate but may be handicapped. One owner has elected to send his to USA to race in GT4, but i really cant fathom why he purchased it here in the first instance as they are already for sale in USA already set up by race teams and far cheaper too. Learning US tracks from scratch (set up etc) wouldnt be fun even if you are very wealthy. I guess you contract a US race team for prep, transport and set up.As for Porsche series Paul may beable to clarify but the cars dont fit into B and they are possibly too slow for A although with the right driver they could be competitive Im sure.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/new...er-porsche-911

Pel - you know you want too (you can do it for me as I must resist..........)
Considering the SC's just had 10k breathed on the suspension, it looks to be your round.

The GT3 is looking so good right now, detailed, front bumper refinished, new discs, calipers repainted tomorrow, will never be a mint road car, but if it doesn't move quickly, put it away in the corner and keep... prettier than the 930.

For anyone interested in wrap costs, The Wrap Shop priced around 4k for the GT4 today. They think it will last 24-36 months of track days, at one per month, probably good value, however that means keeping a car for 3 years.

John, shame about the tyres, I'm taking the SC, you could have smashed me, looks like Dougs carrying the flag. Dave & I have some good battles so will be fun, I don't notice a lack of power at HD due to fast exit on the front straight, however Taupos tighter exit makes it more noticeable.

Last edited by Pel; 11-15-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:53 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see a lot of cars in rapid success on my move back to NZ. Yesterday I got to look at a Ford Focus RS properly in the flesh and actually sit in one. I have to confess I didn't go into it with much in the way of massive anticipation but the thing looks much better in the flesh than I anticipated - the nitrous blue paint looked like a flat colour on a typical part cloudy day and I really liked it and the bucket seat was not too high for me (I have short torso not like Pete as the two of us have found out prior). In fact I loved the driving position.

Has anyone hear driven the new C4S yet? OMG -always said I'd prefer a NA over Turbo but guys you gotta try this thing it's like driving a 991 TTS except lighter and more nimble! These things are threatening GT3/4 on track on road tyres in US and UK and now u can see why - 369lbft and a flat torque curve. Mine has sports exhaust still sounded a bit naff but all is almost forgiven once you are under thrust. I'm sure they will improve rove the sound in the future. Its definitely better namely a game changer when you drive one...the future of the GT cars will be turbo within 3 years the predic
Lastly I spent over an hour getting a tour of mclaren showroom and workshop etc. I must say these cars have appealed more and more recently especially with the price reductions since brexit. Still won't win me from my GT3, they are well outside my pay grade to keep fed on track with front rotors and pads for the 540C being "only" $5k a set. But once you sit in them and start learning the features, wow what amazing machines. The company really is in its stride now and the tech, quality and reliability is right up there. I think they will end up becoming collectable to - the 12C is selling for more now than a few years back as these have become a bit favourable to collectors in UK...
Macca, you are on a rampage!

Interesting comments about the C4S, have been watching a few reviews on the C2's, did you get a chance to wind it out? have heard the Turbos run out of puff.

Re the Mclaren's, theres only one spot for servicing here? I wonder how they would treat a client who circumvented their dealership brought a grey import 12C?
Old 11-15-2016, 01:20 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Considering the SC's just had 10k breathed on the suspension, it looks to be your round. The GT3 is looking so good right now, detailed, front bumper refinished, new discs, calipers repainted tomorrow, will never be a mint road car, but if it doesn't move quickly, put it away in the corner and keep... prettier than the 930. For anyone interested in wrap costs, The Wrap Shop priced around 4k for the GT4 today. They think it will last 24-36 months of track days, at one per month, probably good value, however that means keeping a car for 3 years. John, shame about the tyres, I'm taking the SC, you could have smashed me, looks like Dougs carrying the flag. Dave & I have some good battles so will be fun, I don't notice a lack of power at HD due to fast exit on the front straight, however Taupos tighter exit makes it more noticeable.
Don't count me out if it rains I'll be in the prime seat.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pel, no just around back of grey Lynn really. If it runs out of puff I think just short shift it. Specced with RWD and PCCD it would be quicker than my GT3 on a back road. Add MPSC2 and I'd think low 14s at HD...

McLaren sales manager says they welcome grey market as it helps build the brand in nz and keeps the workshop busy?
Old 11-15-2016, 01:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I just bought this for John on eBay. Buba would approve....
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I just bought this for John on eBay. Buba would approve....
I hope it arrives in time.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:52 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
You are doing well at resisting. It's good for your wallet. I just drained more on the Project car with a window motor and a rear driveshaft. I think bonnet polishing is a far better idea. In fact I'm seriously thinking about doing Taupo on roadies next Monday. Easier all round on the car.
Ha Ha - I just had to pay penalty tax and adjust my prov payments - apparently earning too much, upon closer inspection revenue is the same, just not feeding a $5K+/month Pcar mod's hobby at the mo.........

[/QUOTE] To the contrary I've spent the last 3 days in NZ driving the crap out of mine. 1000km later and it's covered in cow $hit and brake dust. I'll have to find a wash world before heading the long way to Taupo. The new headers have made the car a very exciting thing to drive even around town with the added sound, plus the vibrations and who through the pants thing that has made the car even more appealing. I'm really enjoying driving this car right now at every opportunity (it's my only car so it's getting used for everything).

I spent some time in the new GT4 Clubsport yesterday (didn't get to drive it). 275k inc GST. They are trying to get one complied for the road now, relatively easy apparently as it has Vin and handbrake. [/QUOTE]

Glad you are having fun Macca - looking forward to hearing this fancy exhaust of yours. Also will watch complying a GT4 Clubsport with great interest.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You can tax deduct your Porsche hobby in the first place? Lucky man, it hurts me deeply even paying GST in this country...

I havent stood outside and heard it but I think youll know its me going past pitlane especially between 8-9000 rpm.

Last edited by Macca; 11-15-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta contribute towards those b-roads you enjoy somehow Macca.

JK was right in lifting GST - it catches everyone (even Macca's)

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?