Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
This has just popped up on TM for anyone interested.

The price seems very reasonable. Its a 2015MY F serial ex Cyprus/Ex UK. Not a clubsport spec although it did have buckets and has since had a painted clubsport cage fitted.

Very similar to my own GT3 in terms of spec/options (has the rear tints, white sills, black wheels and lights minus the red belts and a few other small things).

This is the car Matt H imported in September and I had a close look when I was at CCS. Its a very clean example. Only 10,000km and doesn't appear to have seen much track use.

$259K seems fair given recent sales and i suspect this car will not last long...

Carjam: https://carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=kbn506
Err - I'll just save a few bucks and get my 996 the 991 update kit?
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2016, 04:56 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Err - I'll just save a few bucks and get my 996 the 991 update kit?
Maybe he just liked the look but didn't want to give up the driving experience?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:16 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Tis a very sad day for me today. I've sold Mr Black. He's going to a Porsche newb but one that is enthusiastic. Needless to say he has the bug. I am hopeful he will be in as good hands as he has been with last couple of owners

I have loved my time with the car and the decision hasn't been taken lightly. I am hopeful to return to the Porsche fold soon but have no immediate plans to replace him with anything at all. Indeed everything else seem anaemic and anodyne by comparison

I'll try to swing past the major events and say hi. I think not being part of the community is harder than not owning the car
Old 11-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im looking forward to seeing those new seat skins on John. By the looks plenty to keep you busy with this until early 2017. Should look great when you have finished.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
'Tis a very sad day for me today. I've sold Mr Black. He's going to a Porsche newb but one that is enthusiastic. Needless to say he has the bug. I am hopeful he will be in as good hands as he has been with last couple of owners

I have loved my time with the car and the decision hasn't been taken lightly. I am hopeful to return to the Porsche fold soon but have no immediate plans to replace him with anything at all. Indeed everything else seem anaemic and anodyne by comparison

I'll try to swing past the major events and say hi. I think not being part of the community is harder than not owning the car
Hey Warwick. Congrats on the sale. Im sure it was hard, but there are plenty more fish in the ocean. It seems quite a common trend at the moment for folks to be selling on 964s (I think you are the 3rd or 4th in as many months). I guess its hard to ignore the recent price appreciation, especially for many who got into these when they were 40K or less. What makes it even more difficult is the current relative cost of newer performance cars, which thanks to Brexit have become a very attractive lifestyle/value proposition (cue to Sam and others). Hopefully you will keep an eye on these boards and FB pages from time to time to keep in the fold....
Old 11-02-2016, 06:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts
Hey Warwick. Congrats on the sale. Im sure it was hard, but there are plenty more fish in the ocean. It seems quite a common trend at the moment for folks to be selling on 964s (I think you are the 3rd or 4th in as many months). I guess its hard to ignore the recent price appreciation, especially for many who got into these when they were 40K or less. What makes it even more difficult is the current relative cost of newer performance cars, which thanks to Brexit have become a very attractive lifestyle/value proposition (cue to Sam and others). Hopefully you will keep an eye on these boards and FB pages from time to time to keep in the fold....
Good attempt at spin there Macca, but I think you'll find that Warwick will sooner rather than later be living in France with his French wife and baby/toddler. Happy Wife, happy life. Mr. Black wouldn't have fitted into picture unless put in long term deep storage.

I will miss Warwick's enthusiasm and our common passion for owning sorted 964s.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:15 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Look forward to you swinging by too Warwick, not least so we can get an occasional fix of your special posts, like this one:

The golden rule is "the less you touch the paint the better". The trick is to wash frequently. Don't let the car get too grubby. It will tempt you into rubbing the dirt away - not desirable!

Pre-conditions:
  1. Try to wash in the shade or on a cloudy day. This helps prevent water from drying too quickly and leaving water spots
  2. You car has existing LSP (Last Stage Protection), .i.e wax/sealant

To this end i'll cover the basic recipe I use to wash and dry a car.
  1. Wash wheels. Spray wheel cleaner that is safe for the type of wheel finish you have and let dwell for a few minutes. Use a flexible brush to wash behind the spokes and the inside of the barrel from a bucket of car wash . Use a mitt dedicated for the wheels to clean the face and a lug nut brush to do the tighter nooks and crannies. Wash your brush/mitt out before returning it to the bucket for more suds. Never use wheel cleaner or the dirty wheel water on paint and throw away the water afterwards.
  2. Rinse whole car
  3. Pre-soak with a Foam lance - this helps remove loose contaminants
  4. 2 Bucket wash - one bucket with a grit guard to rinse, the other with suds (and optional grit guard). Dilute the washing soap according to manufacturers instructions. Depending on the product using a higher concentration may remove your LSP. Don't use dish soap. Its a degreaser and will remove your LSP. Use a Lambs wool mitt. The long fibres trap grime and help prevent marring . I start at the top and work my way down the car. Wash one panel using as much suds and water as practical then rinse in the second bucket. Try to glide across the panel using minimal pressure and strokes, allow the water and suds to suspend and carry away dirt and grime. Don't force the mitt into the paint and try to rub away the dirt. Try to hose after every panel or two. Again, this will help prevent the wash solution from drying on the paint.
  5. I'm assuming you don't have an air compressor, so final rinse using a technique called "sheeting". This method uses gravity to "pull" the water off the car. If your car is well waxed/sealed then it is possible to remove most of the water from the surface. Again, the purpose here is to minimise touching the car as the less water there is the less work needed to dry. Plenty of online vids illustrating this.
  6. Use one or more waffle weave microfibre towel to dry the car. Don't use a chamois. Just gently drag it across the surface or dab to remove water. You'll be surprised how effective this can be. Buy the best waffle towel you can afford. Try not to be lazy and do the door jams and in the engine bay and boot with a general purpose microfibre. Not talking about a full detail here just dry.
  7. You can use a quick detailer sprayed onto a plush microfibre to remove the last of the water mist and provide a final shine. Don't spray directly onto the panel as it may cause streaking and can be hard to remove
  8. Finally, dress the tires

Microfibre towels are your friend and they all have a specific purpose. Don't use your waffles or plush for door jams, etc and vice versa. Wash and dry after every use. Don't wash with other laundry. I find using a dryer better than air drying and try to use a liquid soap rather than powder. Once you get your system down this should only take an hour or so

If you need more info on the above let me know. Also if you want info on glass, claying, polishing, LSP hit me up

I hope this helps
Old 11-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here is a brand new Gt4 Clubsport you can own today. Around 260K landed.

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/c...-for-sale.html
Old 11-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Good attempt at spin there Macca, but I think you'll find that Warwick will sooner rather than later be living in France with his French wife and baby/toddler. Happy Wife, happy life. Mr. Black wouldn't have fitted into picture unless put in long term deep storage.

I will miss Warwick's enthusiasm and our common passion for owning sorted 964s.
French wife! Well that changes things. Sorry not up with the play. Well done Warwick, someone else to visit on our Euro travels, even better!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

LA Motorshow opens to the public 16 November. Of interest there are three "new" Porsche models/variants being launched. We should hear what these are weekend before the show via the international media.

Much speculation about whether the launch will include the 991.2 GT2RS. Im secretly hoping so as the mules have been doing the rounds for over 12 months now. This will be the true performance contender for Porsche for out and out Ring times. It should also be a tech fest and something quite special. Unfortunately I suspect it may be a bit early for an unveiling.

More likely is the new Panamera GTS 2017 gen2. I imagine we may also see a Targa version of the new Carrera S. The third reveal is a real mystery.

The new 2016 Carrera S has been surprising a few people I know (and trust) who have driven it on road and track during the road show in the USA and Europe. Whilst all concede the engine does not sound as nice as the NA, from a performance perspective the car apparently is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor. On sticky tyres it may well be a close call with a GT3 for out and out hero laps (how many laps it can keep this up for is questionable). I was talking with Mark at Giltraps in September and he had just run some customer hot laps in the car at Taupo on the Porsche Roadshow and he was mightily impressed even with the car on standard road tyres. We compared Vmax on the back straight and the Carrera S was only 4-5kmph different from the GT3. It gets a good start out of the old clubhouse hairpin with the 369lbft torque (compared to GT3 324lbft) helping to push the car out and get through the gears quite quickly. Im not sure how the car was optioned but he said it had "all the fruit" so I assume sport chrono, pdk, RWS and the PCCD etc.

Im a huge NA engine fan and will always have one in my garage, but Ive become increasingly interested in the new wave of Turbo charged engines, now in almost every car segment offering. These are quite unlike my previous turbo exposure (MY1998 Subaru WRX I bought new and is far and away the second most enjoyable car I have ever owned after my 993 - to counter that the Audi/Porsche RS2 was a 1995 turbo car which was far and away the least enjoyable performance vehicle I have owned).

The 3x 2017 cars I have on order are all Turbo! Im expecting, having read everything online, that the FocusRS and Alfa QV engines will be quite entertaining despite their blowers. I think there is certainly a "wow" factor to these engines as any 911 Turbo owner will know. Massive thrust in the mid range being the most obvious, and the most exploitable in every day and back road driving. None teh less I remain a bit apprehensive till Ive driven them. The Ferrari derived QV engine is the one Im looking forward to the most as it has some real character and some aural fireworks.

Alfa are unveiling the long awaited SUV (Stelvio) at LA so that will be an interesting new segment for them. Based on the Giulia the top model is rumored to have the 505bhp QV mill!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

ooops double post!

Last edited by Macca; 11-02-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The very real every day/road performance advantages of turbo have resulted in the huge wave of road cars going this way. Technology has helped in too in that superior DSG/DCT/auto gearboxes have enables 7/8/9 speeds and much quicker change. This covers the inherent lag of the turbo which can exist even if using smaller turbos to reduce lag. The compromise has always been less lag at the bottom vs earlier strangulation at the top. Most modern petrol turbo engines are now designed for peak power in the 6k rpm region and rev limit not much above early 7k.

I don't think we are yet past a 7 speed manual and that hasn't been an outstandingly received gearbox so herein lies the compromise. So reintroduction of manual for NA on GT cars but still the majority of other turbo cars DSG.

What is needed is a new design manual gearbox for production cars. 8 speed syncro sequential for closely stacked ratios and fast change. Also have to solve how to get to reverse easier instead of having to go right down to 1-N-R? (and how to protect the syncros to get production reliability)

In a race engine you can go bigger turbo for much greater top end and then also run anti lag but that tends to reduce the life of the turbo unit - less of a problem in a race environment but no so good in a production model.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:17 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Im a huge NA engine fan and will always have one in my garage, but Ive become increasingly interested in the new wave of Turbo charged engines, now in almost every car segment offering. These are quite unlike my previous turbo exposure (MY1998 Subaru WRX I bought new and is far and away the second most enjoyable car I have ever owned after my 993 - to counter that the Audi/Porsche RS2 was a 1995 turbo car which was far and away the least enjoyable performance vehicle I have owned).

The 3x 2017 cars I have on order are all Turbo! Im expecting, having read everything online, that the FocusRS and Alfa QV engines will be quite entertaining despite their blowers. I think there is certainly a "wow" factor to these engines as any 911 Turbo owner will know. Massive thrust in the mid range being the most obvious, and the most exploitable in every day and back road driving.
Having driven good turboed cars and bad turboed cars, I can't see you being disappointed with your three. Not sure what mix of these they'll each boast, but higher compression cylinders (by turbo standards), variable valve timing and lift, shorter boost pipes, and various other anti-lag technologies (up to and including bang-bang systems in race mode) mean turbos' traditional weaknesses have been pretty much vanquished.

And what little trade-off may remain brings its own rewards. Nothing like anticipating boost transitions and already reflecting that in your steering, accelerator and brake inputs to have you feeling intimately involved with the car. To my mind, it adds an extra layer of almost organic 'horse-rider' interaction to the more straightforward 'operate the control, get the result' of manual NAs (at least until you get those up near the limits). Really working the Turbo sometimes reminds me of that banshee-rider bond in Avatar...

Postnote: and as Graeme points out, the number of gear ratios (plus virtual intermediate gear ratios in some instances) in modern auto/automated/sequential transmissions helps too, especially in allowing lower starting ratios, and so better 0-100 times. Though I personally feel that lower torque, peakier powered NA engines have benefited even more from that development, as there is now almost always a near perfect ratio to hand to keep them near that peak power. Thanks to their wide spread of torque, turbos already had some answer to limited ratios - once off the line.

Last edited by 996tnz; 11-02-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer View Post

The golden rule is "the less you touch the paint the better". The trick is to wash frequently. Don't let the car get too grubby. It will tempt you into rubbing the dirt away - not desirable!

Pre-conditions: 1.Try to wash in the shade or on a cloudy day. This helps prevent water from drying too quickly and leaving water spots
2.You car has existing LSP (Last Stage Protection), .i.e wax/sealant

To this end i'll cover the basic recipe I use to wash and dry a car.
1.Wash wheels. Spray wheel cleaner that is safe for the type of wheel finish you have and let dwell for a few minutes. Use a flexible brush to wash behind the spokes and the inside of the barrel from a bucket of car wash . Use a mitt dedicated for the wheels to clean the face and a lug nut brush to do the tighter nooks and crannies. Wash your brush/mitt out before returning it to the bucket for more suds. Never use wheel cleaner or the dirty wheel water on paint and throw away the water afterwards.
2.Rinse whole car
3.Pre-soak with a Foam lance - this helps remove loose contaminants
4.2 Bucket wash - one bucket with a grit guard to rinse, the other with suds (and optional grit guard). Dilute the washing soap according to manufacturers instructions. Depending on the product using a higher concentration may remove your LSP. Don't use dish soap. Its a degreaser and will remove your LSP. Use a Lambs wool mitt. The long fibres trap grime and help prevent marring . I start at the top and work my way down the car. Wash one panel using as much suds and water as practical then rinse in the second bucket. Try to glide across the panel using minimal pressure and strokes, allow the water and suds to suspend and carry away dirt and grime. Don't force the mitt into the paint and try to rub away the dirt. Try to hose after every panel or two. Again, this will help prevent the wash solution from drying on the paint.
5.I'm assuming you don't have an air compressor, so final rinse using a technique called "sheeting". This method uses gravity to "pull" the water off the car. If your car is well waxed/sealed then it is possible to remove most of the water from the surface. Again, the purpose here is to minimise touching the car as the less water there is the less work needed to dry. Plenty of online vids illustrating this.
6.Use one or more waffle weave microfibre towel to dry the car. Don't use a chamois. Just gently drag it across the surface or dab to remove water. You'll be surprised how effective this can be. Buy the best waffle towel you can afford. Try not to be lazy and do the door jams and in the engine bay and boot with a general purpose microfibre. Not talking about a full detail here just dry.
7.You can use a quick detailer sprayed onto a plush microfibre to remove the last of the water mist and provide a final shine. Don't spray directly onto the panel as it may cause streaking and can be hard to remove
8.Finally, dress the tires

Microfibre towels are your friend and they all have a specific purpose. Don't use your waffles or plush for door jams, etc and vice versa. Wash and dry after every use. Don't wash with other laundry. I find using a dryer better than air drying and try to use a liquid soap rather than powder. Once you get your system down this should only take an hour or so

If you need more info on the above let me know. Also if you want info on glass, claying, polishing, LSP hit me up

I hope this helps
thanks - would appreciate comments on other processes you list too. Where do you buy the right microfiber? repco or supercheap? or special place?
Old 11-02-2016, 10:15 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paint all guttering white, paint the upstairs dormer windows and all South facing windows. They will put it up the week before Christmas and don't restart work until 9/1 so it can't be dismantled before then. Whatever is in the garage is stuck there for the duration unless I can convince them to leave a space for a car to exit.
Just employ a painter - will cost you the equivilent of a set of tyres?

It's one months silver car maintenance budget.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 11-02-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?