Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Car transporters and trailer rigs are BIG here (in popularity and SIZE - black beast below is 6.2meter Le goth twin cab!).

Safety is taken seriously here with two rigs set up with "jaws of life" and gen sets with gas axe and other gear for getting a driver out of a damaged car quickly. This is such merging lacking from Playdays and RSG days I think. Only accident in the weekend was brand new Viper ACR into cement barrier T5. Real shame. Insurance is expense here most fun without it. Track days are $300-350 USD for the day but include lunch and refreshments. Day with instructor is only $75 for 4-5 sessions....
Attached Images                 
Old 06-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here's a few on track with Peter...
Attached Images   
Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Both days it rained around lunch time delaying proceedings till late afternoon. It seems the main reason most track drivers ver here won't go out in the rain is its mandatory to keep both windows down which means in the wet you get...well wet!!
Great coverage Macca. That not driving in the rain thing is a pity though. Driving in the wet is one of motorsport's greatest tests and pleasures. Only once had the track closed on me for rain here in NZ (a Formula Challenge slicked single seater day that was wound up at lunchtime despite my pleadings). Do they have to have the windows open all the time for 'point bys' is that it? Maybe they could stick some (perhaps Chin provided) driver controlled signalling lights on or in the cars instead? Or do you think that the underlying consideration is one of liability mitigation in the land of the long white law suit?
Old 06-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Great coverage Macca. That not driving in the rain thing is a pity though. Driving in the wet is one of motorsport's greatest tests and pleasures. Only once had the track closed on me for rain here in NZ (a Formula Challenge slicked single seater day that was wound up at lunchtime despite my pleadings). Do they have to have the windows open all the time for 'point bys' is that it? Maybe they could stick some (perhaps Chin provided) driver controlled signalling lights on or in the cars instead? Or do you think that the underlying consideration is one of liability mitigation in the land of the long white law suit?
Hi Walt. I talked on this point to a number of participants as well as the organizers. As you mention the rules state they must "point by" with their arms so on the drivers side the window being down is useful although indicators can alternatively be used...

In green (novice) and blue (intermediate) you may only pass a car with a point by. However you CAN pass anywhere on the track (corner or brakes) as long as that point by is given. Red group (advanced) can pass at any time without point by....although its courteous to do so etc

The Participants would love to have their windows up and air con on - especially in the 100F heat we were running in over the weekend (it gets over 110F on some summer days at the track here - 40C or so).

The organizers claim windows down is for quick and ease egress from a car that has been involved in an accident (rolled, T boned or other) at the track.

When the danger of flailing arms was mentioned (nets are not allowed unless its a race car) the impression I goyt was that loosing an arm was better than dying in a car because the driver or passenger couldn't be removed...

There is some method to their madness and I have to concede they system does seem to work pretty well although you have to question some of the practices like the ability to be able to drive in a T shirt and shorts! Also its a good idea to wear a visor or at least sunglasses with an open faced helmet as you do get tyre marbles entering the car if you are chasing someone down in a corner (I know because I got hit by a few of them).
Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It's both front discs binding and hot after a short run. Rears were cool. If I recall correctly the problem with the Kohi garage was the lack of correct equipment! Whether Quality Motors had the correct gear I suppose we will never know. I hope the original is still in our box of spares. I'll refit it if it is. If it fixes the issues then quality motors is an oxymoron. I'll also see what we have for CV joints. I know we have spare drive shafts. The exhaust is difficult to pinpoint but we can't run it like this.

With Taupo next weekend I'm up against it to get this sorted quickly. To be honest I think these cars need either deep pockets to hire mechanics or amateur mechanics working in garages at night. I think we're going to have to make a call after the 800. Given I travel so much and don't get to races I'm thinking the maintenance model has to change if we keep these cars. These things I found in half an hour are existing faults that would have stopped another drivers race. It may well be that a car has to be rebaslined/checked at the drivers cost after each race.
I think we should get it to Pitstop or similar for the brake work. They should know what to do. I can run a car around if this is the chosen route to a well prepared car for the 800.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:09 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
I think we should get it to Pitstop or similar for the brake work. They should know what to do. I can run a car around if this is the chosen route to a well prepared car for the 800.
I can help too guys - have a lot of tools/gear to do most mechanical things....
Old 06-21-2016, 04:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Thanks guys. The work is in Auckland so Dave is probably best placed.

The CV joint should be a no brainer for a competent mechanic. The brake master cylinder requires more know how. As the car has dual circuit brakes, the master cylinder needs to be accurately set up. If it isn't then the pressure may not be released correctly. The method of adjustment is exact and difficult. I'd be tempted to let a proper Honda mechanic look at this. Maybe best to text me.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:02 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting Macca that they don't require fireproof race suits. I didn't see any in the photos so did wonder. No aircon in 40 degrees would be hell for us not used to it so can understand the shorts and tee shirt dress code from that aspect. Interesting to compare differences in approach. Do they transport their cars to the track to run on slicks? Or do they run similar track tyres to us? Keep the updates coming... Enjoying them
Old 06-21-2016, 06:23 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Thanks guys. The work is in Auckland so Dave is probably best placed.

The CV joint should be a no brainer for a competent mechanic. The brake master cylinder requires more know how. As the car has dual circuit brakes, the master cylinder needs to be accurately set up. If it isn't then the pressure may not be released correctly. The method of adjustment is exact and difficult. I'd be tempted to let a proper Honda mechanic look at this. Maybe best to text me.
Will txt in the morning. Honda mech is a good idea. There will be Honda guys and then Honda guys. I am not sure that a dodgy old 2k cup Integra would fit in well at Honda cars Broadway in terms of their menu servicing regular fare. Maybe wrong. There must be a good ricer garage who knows these things backwards. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-21-2016, 06:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I'll post a message on the 2k cup FB page.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:09 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

There's a shop that might suit at the top of Vincent St that I used to walk past on my way to work - always had a collection of Fast & Furious tribute cars floating around.

https://mobile.facebook.com/Ks-motor-255220717845862/

Looking forward to getting the car out this weekend. Got my wheels back from Arrow yesterday, car on the ground for the first time since April.

Enjoying the track log Macca. Those yanks sure know how to live, but also surprised at the pass by + shorts & t shirt combo. The tyre marbles flying into my face would be enough to make me close the window!
Old 06-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
There's a shop that might suit at the top of Vincent St that I used to walk past on my way to work - always had a collection of Fast & Furious tribute cars floating around. https://mobile.facebook.com/Ks-motor-255220717845862/ Looking forward to getting the car out this weekend. Got my wheels back from Arrow yesterday, car on the ground for the first time since April. Enjoying the track log Macca. Those yanks sure know how to live, but also surprised at the pass by + shorts & t shirt combo. The tyre marbles flying into my face would be enough to make me close the window!
Me too but you get black flag for Windows up!!!

Enjoy the car. It's been a long time since SITT so I'm sure you will. I'm taking mine down to Taupo in early July for a whistle stop tour and looking forward to that for sure...

Last edited by Macca; 06-21-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:16 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
There must be a good ricer garage who knows these things backwards. Anyone have any ideas?
Dave, JTune in Penrose do a lot of work on fast street and Honda race cars, including Honda Cup and some 2K Cuppers (including Racing Ray's), right through to engine servicing and modding etc, but also preparing, modding and fixing brake systems etc.

Jacky Tse

J Tune Automotive
19 Industry Road
Penrose
Auckland
09 580 0253
sales@jtune.co.nz
www.jtune.co.nz

They should be well placed to remedy any defects and look over the rest of the car for any pre-race that may be needed.

FWIW, barring stuck caliper pistons (unlikely on both sides at once) my money is on the adjustment of the master cylinder pushrod still being out:

MC adjustment: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/maste...djustment.html

Solving brake lockup on Honda boosters: http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2053-0001.pdf

Having organised seven or eight services, several WOFs, half a dozen alignments, and at least as many parts runs for our cars over the two seasons, I will leave it for everyone else to decide where she goes this time though.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Jtune recommended by 2k cup as well on face book page.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:16 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Ok, I will contact them. They might be a bit busy but small job for us.
What do we need them to do?
Brakes, CV?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?