Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
You are welcome to borrow my original wheel to try it out and see if you like it on long term loan Shorter shake downs would be smarter. I'm with Dave. Besides we want Herman along for the trip and so do you so you can mark an X for the 4 points of the compass.
How about a short shake down to your place to pick up the wheel to more morning while its dry? I forgot how much I use the digital speed readout in Herman so I need to see the actual speedo here and the small wheel obscures it.

As for the trip, yes Herman deserves the four points of the compass. At plus I don't think there's 2,000km in the project cars front pads.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
How about a short shake down to your place to pick up the wheel to more morning while its dry? I forgot how much I use the digital speed readout in Herman so I need to see the actual speedo here and the small wheel obscures it. As for the trip, yes Herman deserves the four points of the compass. At plus I don't think there's 2,000km in the project cars front pads.
John. I'm pretty sure your leak is from blocked sunroof drains. This manifests itself as water puddling below rear seats then into the front seat area. Look it up on Rennlist. Lucky your ECU is under the other seat!

Probably good to remove struts and have rebuilt while you are tidying up top mounts (these possibly perished) and strut stops. Possibly good job when looking at any work in CVs and pad changes etc. I think it will ride a lot better after.

Watch the Fakey cup. I had some on my 968. Soft and heavy. Maybe D90 to keep Dave happy....
Old 05-21-2016, 05:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. I'm pretty sure your leak is from blocked sunroof drains. This manifests itself as water puddling below rear seats then into the front seat area. Look it up on Rennlist. Lucky your ECU is under the other seat! Probably good to remove struts and have rebuilt while you are tidying up top mounts (these possibly perished) and strut stops. Possibly good job when looking at any work in CVs and pad changes etc. I think it will ride a lot better after. Watch the Fakey cup. I had some on my 968. Soft and heavy. Maybe D90 to keep Dave happy....
I've done the searches. It could be rear quarter window seals, sunroof drains, windscreen, bonnet seal and/or drains in the firewall. We will see. Conceivably I can rip the carpet out and still drive it so I will tape paper towels to the likely areas and watch. Then the new carpet will be safe to install.

I definitely need to do the bump stops. Whether the shocks warrant a rebuild comes down to their quality. I can't see any markings. With Herman I have a full RUF package of ARB, Strut Brace, HD Bilsteins and H&R Turbo springs. That made the rebuilding of shocks worthwhile (I had to make that decision on the fronts anyway). This car has some no name springs and no obvious brand shocks. However it still handles nicely for what it is. This is one of those budget decisions. If the shocks aren't knackered than I will limit myself to what's needed. The biggest spend here will be the interior. Once the seats and carpet are sorted, plus original style steering wheel refitted this will be a very nice place to be and I suspect it will still owe me less than $55k.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:54 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

JMc - I have a carpet product that I swear by for cleaning linen carpets. The carpets in the 3.2 haad stains that I thought would never come out, and the carpets have come up like new.

We did Tim's 928 any they came up surprisingly well too.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
JMc - I have a carpet product that I swear by for cleaning linen carpets. The carpets in the 3.2 haad stains that I thought would never come out, and the carpets have come up like new. We did Tim's 928 any they came up surprisingly well too.
Too late, I've already been destroying the part around the rear seat pad to get it out. No turning back now :/

I've borrowed Doug's OEM steering wheel and it's great. Centre and right rear reflectors changed out. Any average condition left rear indicators out there?
Old 05-22-2016, 02:49 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too late, I've already been destroying the part around the rear seat pad to get it out. No turning back now :/

I've borrowed Doug's OEM steering wheel and it's great. Centre and right rear reflectors changed out. Any average condition left rear indicators out there?
you may have seen these already? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...1090934393.htm
Old 05-22-2016, 02:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Yes, I have thanks. They are quite dark. It could be the lighting or someone has tried the vinyl paint. I can get a new lens cover for $212 so these are priced right for the whole assembly.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:08 AM
Garry D
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark , I understand how you feel , I too think about how long is too long to keep a high value car , that's under used ! I may require a contact in the UK at
some stage .

Might be time to put my 993 back on Trade Me!

https://trademe.co.nz/1088562616
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garry D
Mark , I understand how you feel , I too think about how long is too long to keep a high value car , that's under used ! I may require a contact in the UK at some stage .
It worked for me. Cycle the cars in the garage and enjoy getting to know new ones.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have thanks. They are quite dark. It could be the lighting or someone has tried the vinyl paint. I can get a new lens cover for $212 so these are priced right for the whole assembly.
I picked up the left one. The part number is correct and the seller says they are un touched. That sorts my lights out

Spend so far is a battery for $245 and a rear indicator light for $175.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I'm really liking these rotiform wheels and I imagine Dave will too...
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Door

I think there were 5 of us interesting in the inner door supports. I am going to order a pair and use youshop. PM me if you want to share postage.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/7RP...i=shareProduct
Old 05-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Nice

I'm really liking these rotiform wheels and I imagine Dave will too...
Ouch, love these.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Steve. have sent you PM. These will be of interest to anyone with a 964 as well...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maintenance history annoyingly up to date.
Looks like you got your winter weekends back. Whats next?
Hi John. If you're looking for trouble, trouble will find you.

Was letting you enjoy your honeymoon but if you're pining for those missing garage delights, BB2's VTEC could maybe still do with that quick look you wanted to have first?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?