Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Graeme I single apex in the GT3 (have the power and chassis grip to maintain a fair bit of mid corner momentum plus that car enjoys to trail brake. In teh 993 I primarily double apex and I have an excellent video of my last time out with the 993 mid 2014 closely chasing Paul for a session in his 993 which gives you both lines, and infact two different styles in a number of places (his style no doubt quicker than mine!). Its a good clip around 3 mins (both laps around 1.17). No the fastest lap for either of us that day but a good line of site shows driver and controls plus car close in front and this gives some ideas other aircooled drivers can experiment with on track.

Im moving internet provider (over 512kb with throttle back!) and hope to have the new service up in the next week (wimax gear installed etc). I should then be able to post that footage to Youtube and put the link on here.

On a side note you would be using quite a different line at T10 in a 4WD Sunaru I should imagine. probably single apex it, sit left at 200m, then brake a bit from 170m turning in on trail braking then switching to trailing/partial throttle as you strat to trun in 2/3 way up the corner as slowly arcing the car on the edge of traction until finally the nose is close into the inside corner around 130m before the apex (which is late 2/3 of way around corner), by this time you will be over 1/2 throttle and as you get to the apex (rum right tyre over line if you like) then you can start getting on the gas whilst allowing the wheel to straighten in your hand - this will power you out to the left hand side of the track just before it straightens out where there is some run off and chicane, if you get it right you need to use all of that and will be on full gas just exiting it. Best vmax out of their in the GT3 is around 155 a few meters at the end of the Chicane. Neil gave me a few pointers for that in the GT3 and it works good. Hooking it up well from mid corner in T10 and getting good traction under full throttle on the exit will give you best vMax on the straight. However with your gearing and resrtictor I suspect that Vmax probably wont be much higher than 220 kmph GPS. Its an uphill straight so saps some energy. As you say set upf for Targa and track quite different with roll bar and shock stiffness, tire and camber etc. Tony (Playday) runs a track oriented WRX similar year to yours there and I think he gets into the mid 15s there IIRC.
thx
just taking out restrictor will make a big difference. I was just getting around 200 estimated . (its off the end of the Japanese 180kph speedo and the monit wasn't accurate cos we ran old tyres which were different size.)
Give me a shout when youtube vid is up
Old 10-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes with double apex maybe you go out only 12-14m before you swing back in. Its no where near mid of corner. depends on car/tyres/conditions and slip angles I guess. Can be tricky to get the double apex line in the wet as most use another line so the double apex can be trick to find some dry traction for the transition...
Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW Graeme, here's a repost too of the AIM trace John provided illustrating SteveR (red) double apexing T10 versus Paul (green) single apexing back in 2013.

Name:  782249d1385456206-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand-steve-v-paul.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  300.0 KB

Page 430 of this thread has the related discussion.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Default One thread to rule them all...

Wow guys. Just noticed we’ve been the longest thread on Rennlist for a while now, having pulled past Random Pics and put some daylight in between at over 30,000 posts.

There may have been some brief jostling for position, but credit for the pass would appear to go to Jamie (kiwicarguy), back on 17th June with post 26848 - ironically with something of a random picture, and an exclamation that somehow seems appropriate in the circumstances:

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy

Way to go guys! Lot of laughs, knowledge, bull**** - and even the odd bit of misery - shared between us all over the years!

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-12-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Wow guys. Just noticed we’ve been the longest thread on Rennlist for a while now, having pulled past Random Pics and put some daylight in between at over 30,000 posts.

There may have been some brief jostling for position, but credit for the pass would appear to go to Jamie (kiwicarguy), back on 17th June with post 26848 - ironically with something of a random picture, and an exclamation that somehow seems appropriate in the circumstances:

Way to go! Lot of laughs, knowledge, bull**** - and even the odd bit of misery - shared between us all over the years!
I don't believe it! Seriously Macca has to take the title for mosts posts surely??? You must have something wrong there Walt? I'm a sporadic poster at best with what limited time I have? Can we have a re-count :sure:

Just looked and I have 10% of Island Boys posts! (in total)
Old 10-12-2015, 01:51 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
I don't believe it! Seriously Macca has to take the title for mosts posts surely??? You must have something wrong there Walt? I'm a sporadic poster at best with what limited time I have? Can we have a re-count :sure:

Just looked and I have 10% of Island Boys posts! (in total)
Jamie, I'm not awarding you the MVP for thread building (Macca and John are perhaps best placed to arm wrestle for that), but you did happen to be in the driver's seat at the pass (you posted post number26848 before they did) which I managed to find back on page 1790 of both threads:

NZ Rennlisters p1790:

Name:  Passing post by Jamie.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  105.6 KB

_____________________ VERSUS_______________________________________________________

Random Pics p1790:

Name:  Random pics passed posts.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  80.4 KB

As mentioned Jamie, there may have been a little positional jostling with the odd repass around that time (and technically a posting time of 9:36pm US time means it was the morning of 18 June here), but I'll hand over the research batten if anyone wants to check further into that.

Hey, it's an endurance event after all - plenty of room for everyone on the podium!

Last edited by 996tnz; 10-12-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I have an excellent video of my last time out with the 993 mid 2014 closely chasing Paul for a session in his 993
Macca - can you send this to me for viewing?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
FWIW Graeme, here's a repost too of the AIM trace John provided illustrating SteveR (red) double apexing T10 versus Paul (green) single apexing back in 2013.

Attachment 980978

Page 430 of this thread has the related discussion.
Might be the other way around, I only know how to double apex the corner and Razzo prefers the continous turn??
Old 10-12-2015, 03:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Banner time again.

I have one spare Red on Black, but Herman looks best in White on Red so I'm going to order more of those. If there's any interest tell me now. Usual colour choices.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:56 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

If there was a possibility of getting Silver on Black I'd happily buy another, but they'd need to commit to printing it in the right colour this time...
Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

More likely other way around as Paul say. Rasso not a fan of double apex?

Paul. You'll have wait for the YouTube clip. The problem is bandwidth. Its probably a 120GB file at HD res 3 mins duration. To give you and idea Im on a 512Kb connection that is mostly throttled down to 128 kbps. I wont explain the technical side of that other than to say its like dial up compared to broadband! I can get a 5MB connection like you get in NZ for $60 a month but there it currently costs $1200 NZD a month. No income, no business so no desire to spend that on an internet connection. I generally never upload any movie files and I never watch any YouTube files when in V. I only do that stuff in NZ or when travelling on better connections....

John please put me down for 2 x white on red banners...

John.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:08 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Macca - was thinking about your bandwidth limitations today - you could always setup a "hosted" PC with a ton of storage on a decent internet connection in NZ and connect to it remotely, at 512k it wouldn't be the smoothest experience but would be much more palatable than trying to upload from a 3rd world paper cup and string solution. Dump all the video onto it whenever you're back and edit from the armchair when in V. Welcome to try it out at some point if you're of a mind, can setup something and see if it's usable.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
If there was a possibility of getting Silver on Black I'd happily buy another, but they'd need to commit to printing it in the right colour this time...
I think that was too hard for him last time, so I'd prefer not to go there.

Macca, order taken. I'll take the other three required to make a minimum order of 5.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:52 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

More package arrivals today. A bit of cajoling to get them opened but worth it.

One package contained Rennline sill plates (plain so goodbye RS ones).

The other package contains a nose bearing sleeve, which should fix the biggest engine leak.
Attached Images      
Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Banner time again.

I have one spare Red on Black, but Herman looks best in White on Red so I'm going to order more of those. If there's any interest tell me now. Usual colour choices.
Red letters on black background please?

Can you make them a little deeper this time so they go further down the screen please? I think you need to add 50mm to the top??

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?