Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:59 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Is that Blue, Jason..? looks....? Hows the new main
No new main yet. New batteries tho. Put a dint in the budget that did. Sail next on the list, which is long.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by 993MAN
What car do you need valve covers for John?
964. I have a couple of spots of corrosion. They are USD 330 per pair. Talk about value add from about $30 of Aluminium.
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
No, he's too far away from all of us to do track days etc and now living 50 metres from the ocean he "needs" a boat. They have the T86 for b-road runs. I hope he doesn't sell it before our next weekend up there.
Yes - have a lot of time for John and Carol.

Nice folks.......
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Porsche 924...........
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
964. I have a couple of spots of corrosion. They are USD 330 per pair. Talk about value add from about $30 of Aluminium.
Those look shot john. fdmotorsports@comcast.net

Try rennline also

http://www.rennline.com/Billet-Alumi...tinfo/M11/RED/
Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Warwick, met your neighbour today, Neil.. Nice guy.. nice car..
He's mates with Ron too, so encouraged him to SITT, as his car would be ideal..
Hey hey. Yes, Neil is a good sort. That GT3 of his is a beast. I went for a spin around the block with him a wee while ago. When its starts to shift i felt like Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon
Old 08-24-2015, 06:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Not sure I like Magnus's latest restyling efforts?
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2015, 06:07 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a good place on the car to get a whack. Punch in the kidneys
Old 08-24-2015, 06:27 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

John, difficult to tell from the photos but it's possible those covers might clean up OK. Paint peeling inside and out appears to be a not uncommon issue, so might depend on what level of corrosion you have. There a quite a number of threads on RL about guys cleaning them up and painting or powder coating. Didn't the earlier cars have Mg and later Al? I read corrosion issues were worse on the Mg items. Of course, gucci billet covers look the business but yours might be recoverable in a cost effective way?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
John, difficult to tell from the photos but it's possible those covers might clean up OK. Paint peeling inside and out appears to be a not uncommon issue, so might depend on what level of corrosion you have. There a quite a number of threads on RL about guys cleaning them up and painting or powder coating. Of course, gucci billet covers look the business but yours might be recoverable in a cost effective way?
Jason, Dan said to explore options like powder coating as well. I won't know for sure until I have lifted all of the covers but this one looks the worst based on general condition. The only critical function is a good seal on the three gaskets. Otherwise I will get the famous leaks. To date the only major leak i have been able to find is the rear main seal, a $30 part.

As an aside, with the currency tanking and these parts so expensive I have given the cover to Dave to see if it is reproducible with CNC milling.

I have plenty of time to sort these out. Tomorrow the box goes to Dan. Donna won't miss those carpets....
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Not sure I like Magnus's latest restyling efforts?
Rough, wouldn't wish that date on anyone!
Old 08-24-2015, 08:02 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Garry D
Man , I love the look of those air cooled turbo's , have to get one at some stage .
Someone on this thread was keeping a file of 964 Turbo listings awhile back IIRC? Has that been kept up to date??
Old 08-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cnc milling is an option but probably not worth the effort. One small error and you will pinch a seal and compromise the fluid integrity. The OEM ones last a long time if looked after. I'm sure a set can be hunted down at reasonable price.

I was speaking with a few on here by PM this morning. The exchange rate at sat 0.60 is going to make even tyres and pads very expensive for us track junkies. NZ distributors are not even reflecting the currency yet. Most parts available locally still based on 6-12 month ago FX at 0.78-0.82. When the new stuff arrives it sure is going to become an expensive hobby. I'm expecting 20-30% increased costs over previous years plus HD extension completion will bring further fees etc.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Cnc milling is an option but probably not worth the effort. One small error and you will pinch a seal and compromise the fluid integrity. The OEM ones last a long time if looked after. I'm sure a set can be hunted down at reasonable price.

I was speaking with a few on here by PM this morning. The exchange rate at sat 0.60 is going to make even tyres and pads very expensive for us track junkies. NZ distributors are not even reflecting the currency yet. Most parts available locally still based on 6-12 month ago FX at 0.78-0.82. When the new stuff arrives it sure is going to become an expensive hobby. I'm expecting 20-30% increased costs over previous years plus HD extension completion will bring further fees etc.
The CNC milling interest is more about running with an idea on the logistics of small part runs for niche products than trying to source a couple cheaper than the existing suppliers. I'm fascinated by the changes in modern manufacturing methods where effectively an enthusiast can design products for manufacture anywhere, if using an industry standard software product. The billet covers are an excellent example as the ones on the market are CNC milled and by some accounts not that well. The Kirk valve lash tool is another example. At no other time has it been easier for enthusiasts to dream up products, then manufacture and sell them. You can even distribute the products from country specific freight warehouses.

As for the exchange rate warning, it's very real. I currently double the USD price and treble the GBP price to approximate the landed cost. I certainly hope my gearbox is low on the need for parts from the US.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

USD increase is a little scary from a P car consumables perspective. Tempted to buy tyres now in preparation for summer, if only they had Hankook RS3's in matching compounds in NZ!

Not the end of the world though, and given relatively small volume and value (excluding engine and gearbox rebuilds) of transactions, it won't have any significant impact on our hobby, other than more potential for cars to end up offshore if they're changing hands.

As a real world example - I found it almost equal in cost to get parts through Giltrap recently, over finding the cheapest online source in either the USA or UK. Once tax, shipping and the PCNZ discount were taken into consideration, there was nothing in it.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?