Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015 | 10:02 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Btw Warwick, I don't think it's possible to do an engine drop with just newbies, at least not unless you have multiple days.

The good news is that I can help others now when I finally finish.

Last night was a pivotal point. I managed to get both half shafts disconnected after many hours of trying with the last two bolts. Oil line tonight will be the last big hurdle.

After that it's small connectors. The drop itself should be easy.

I made a support out of plywood and a routered board to cradle the engine when it comes out with the ATV jack. I think I could almost do this solo except the ATV jack only drops 25cm and there is more engine height than that to clear. Once the engine is on the ATV jack there's no obvious place to use the AC Jack to get it higher. I will have to call in some muscle.
Good work John. I would have thought for the newb it would take some days. Particularly when documenting and itemizing everything can be slow going. Of course your are not getting paid by the hour so time is not important. I remember back in the day when we dropped the subframes including the engine/gearbox on mini's we used a block and tackle to raise the front of the car leaving the whole unit sitting on a pallet. Different car in different time

Always happy to help add some muscle when you need it if i'm around
Old 08-10-2015 | 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Are those drive shaft bolts one use only John. I think I remember they were...
Old 08-10-2015 | 11:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Good work John. I would have thought for the newb it would take some days. Particularly when documenting and itemizing everything can be slow going. Of course your are not getting paid by the hour so time is not important. I remember back in the day when we dropped the subframes including the engine/gearbox on mini's we used a block and tackle to raise the front of the car leaving the whole unit sitting on a pallet. Different car in different time

Always happy to help add some muscle when you need it if i'm around
I have labelled everything but the reality is that the loom and plugs etc will only allow a logical fit so I would dispense with that in future. I have put almost all bolts and screws back in their holes so no bags of bolts to lose. The only ones I took out were the torque tube driveshaft bolts under the car. I will know when I'm ready to lift and see if anyone is close by if in the weekend.

Macca, those bolts are very strong and there are six each side so they don't look like consumables but at less than $4 per bolt Herman will get a new set. I'm also re packing CVs and fitting new boots. The only reason I would need new driveshafts is if the outer CVs are stuffed. Time will tell if that's the case. Rear spring plate bushes look a bit worn but ok. Crank sensor connector is FUBAR so will be replaced. I'm having great fun with this. All the time in the World to get it right.
Old 08-11-2015 | 02:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John I was told by Authority and Dean the outside CV cannot be reliably re packed. It appears (from my reading over the last 30 minutes) the M10 bolts are not strictly a replacement item unless heads are stripped or have bee torqued beyond 60lbft. I replaced all of mine as precautionary and on the advice of Dean. Youd be surprised - even the beefy bolts are lifed by factory on 964/993 including the LSD bolts (recommended replacement every time you separate from gearbox) and the brake caliper bolts.

This thread posted by a 993 owner (same half shafts and assembly as 964) is very informative on how to do the job at home:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...servicing.html

PS. The CV boot doesn't need to get compromised for the CV joints to let go so I found. The heat from track work dries out the bearings and they start squaring off creating heat and friction I believe then they burst through the cage.
Old 08-11-2015 | 03:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This looks like an improvement. Smaller, lighter, simpler now with a ball jointed mount. Only realy downside I can see is inbuilt battery and $650 price point...
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2015 | 03:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John I was told by Authority and Dean the outside CV cannot be reliably re packed. It appears (from my reading over the last 30 minutes) the M10 bolts are not strictly a replacement item unless heads are stripped or have bee torqued beyond 60lbft. I replaced all of mine as precautionary and on the advice of Dean. Youd be surprised - even the beefy bolts are lifed by factory on 964/993 including the LSD bolts (recommended replacement every time you separate from gearbox) and the brake caliper bolts. This thread posted by a 993 owner (same half shafts and assembly as 964) is very informative on how to do the job at home: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...servicing.html PS. The CV boot doesn't need to get compromised for the CV joints to let go so I found. The heat from track work dries out the bearings and they start squaring off creating heat and friction I believe then they burst through the cage.
As you can see from the link you posted the outer cv is pressed on the driveshaft, whereas the inner is removable. You can buy boots for both and complete new inner CVs. I'm not sure about reliability of re packing the outer, but I figure new grease can't hurt. This is all base lining Herman for a long future.
Old 08-11-2015 | 04:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes. Its the outer ones that go usually. The heat from the drive spline which the large nut attaches to is driven into the outer CV especially when the brakes get hot and transfer that heat to the hubs. The 964 & 993 RS have different drive shaft numbers (and much more expensive). The used a hollow outer spline shaft and tube to reduce heat transfer. The inner ones are relatively bullet proof. Some grease is a good idea but advice was once the bearings are run dry its simply a matter of time. Unfortunately a new outer CV joint requires entire drive shaft replacement. These are starting to show with age but more so on heavily tracked cars...
Old 08-11-2015 | 04:35 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Can't wait to see you on the road on the NITT . Dave, beaut colour and love the wheels. You must be getting excited now?
The 44 is brilliant Paul and easily worth the swop. What about a trial period?
Old 08-11-2015 | 05:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Porsche 902.............
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2015 | 05:39 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ndewar
Can't wait to see you on the road on the NITT . Dave, beaut colour and love the wheels. You must be getting excited now?
The 44 is brilliant Paul and easily worth the swop. What about a trial period?
Yes, thanks Neil. Orange is stunning and nicely set off by the chrome fittings. This time last year I was looking forward to plioting Steve's 3.2 powered lefty and that didn't disappoint. Thinking back now I was so impressed with that car and how easy it was to drive fast, contrary to the early 911 legend. I recall the hook up out of the corners as most impressive. A factor of a light rear engined car.
Old 08-11-2015 | 05:54 AM
Maxem
Drifting

These were the replica Fuchs that were on Trademe. I jumped on a set of 15x7 for the T and a set of 16x7&8's for the SC. The SC runs 6's and 7's now.
I got talking to the tyre store owner and he said he brought in 140 of them a couple of years ago when he got a deal on an over run and they didn't move off the shelves. Put them on trade me a week or two ago and all are sold now. I got the last set it seems.
They are cast reps, the 15x7 weighs 6.5kg vs the forged originals at 5.5kg so not a bad penalty and at a price less than refinishing a real set.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2015 | 06:59 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

They look perfect. Funny how fashion changes and you need to find the market to sell what you have. I think the wheels could set your car off, to be either period or , as with the chrome ones , sporty and trackable. Certainly changes the look.
Old 08-11-2015 | 07:44 AM
Pel
Pro

Default Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

The orange t looks great Dave and the Fuchs look like a good deal.

Macca when are you expecting your GT4??
Old 08-11-2015 | 08:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

GT4 was always planned to be a mid 2016 build. I didn't plan on picking it up till August. I don't think the 2016 build allocations will be released till closer to Xmas. Until the allocations are released and an allocation is confirmed its a big unknown...
Old 08-11-2015 | 10:51 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

As a followup to the Rag and Bone video i posted where they drop a large weight on a innocent SC, here is Haggerty Insurances rebuttal

"You messed with the wrong family, rag & bone. The fashion company aptly named for featuring waif-like models wearing expensive garments, senselessly destroyed a true work of art — a beautiful black 1979 Porsche 911SC — by dropping a graffiti-covered concrete barrier onto the car. They call the ad campaign beautiful and bold, but we call it a catastrophe, and the SC's brethren have returned for revenge."

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?