Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:22 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While you guys were having fun at COTA and MSRH we were at TWS for (can I say it?) BMW CCA Club Racing School.

I have to say I thought it was very well organized and the instruction very professional, and the instructors went out of their way to be helpful and provide feedback.

I loved the drills – 3 wide around the track as fast as your group could go, 2 around as close as possible, rolling starts and restarts, etc. And while I felt like I got competent at flying down the inside while 2 higher HP cars waited patiently for me on the outside of the track to complete my “late braking pass,” I was thinking this is probably as far away from an actual race as it is from a DE.

Except, of course, the final SRE – “simulated racing exercise,” in which apparently ¾ of the class forgot the “simulated” and “exercise” part.

I had a Miata buddy. He was not spec and I had a HP advantage on him, plus I was faster in some of the turns. I would guess my lap times were 1, maybe 2 seconds faster. So for the racing exercise and some open lapping I told him I wanted him in front of me and I’d see if I could get a legitimate pass.

I was behind him probably had a total of 8 laps over 2 sessions and never felt like I had or missed a sure thing pass opportunity. And I’ve read how to do it in books like Going Faster…it seems so easy.

My thought was I wanted to pass the class, and didn’t want to be the guy during debrief they asked, “So…what happened?” So I was conservative. In hindsight I'm thinking I should have been more aggressive in attempting to pass and dealt with the consequences of a failed attempt (which I think would have only been a loss of momentum...I hate that though....)

I realize there is a reason I have a big orange R on the back of my car. I guess what I’m wondering is what is the best way and time frame to gain racing skills? I feel bad for the experienced racers having to have us on the track…seems like a green student sneaking out in the red group....
Old 08-31-2015, 02:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by sierralima
While you guys were having fun at COTA and MSRH we were at TWS for (can I say it?) BMW CCA Club Racing School.

I have to say I thought it was very well organized and the instruction very professional, and the instructors went out of their way to be helpful and provide feedback.

I loved the drills – 3 wide around the track as fast as your group could go, 2 around as close as possible, rolling starts and restarts, etc. And while I felt like I got competent at flying down the inside while 2 higher HP cars waited patiently for me on the outside of the track to complete my “late braking pass,” I was thinking this is probably as far away from an actual race as it is from a DE.

Except, of course, the final SRE – “simulated racing exercise,” in which apparently ¾ of the class forgot the “simulated” and “exercise” part.

I had a Miata buddy. He was not spec and I had a HP advantage on him, plus I was faster in some of the turns. I would guess my lap times were 1, maybe 2 seconds faster. So for the racing exercise and some open lapping I told him I wanted him in front of me and I’d see if I could get a legitimate pass.

I was behind him probably had a total of 8 laps over 2 sessions and never felt like I had or missed a sure thing pass opportunity. And I’ve read how to do it in books like Going Faster…it seems so easy.

My thought was I wanted to pass the class, and didn’t want to be the guy during debrief they asked, “So…what happened?” So I was conservative. In hindsight I'm thinking I should have been more aggressive in attempting to pass and dealt with the consequences of a failed attempt (which I think would have only been a loss of momentum...I hate that though....)

I realize there is a reason I have a big orange R on the back of my car. I guess what I’m wondering is what is the best way and time frame to gain racing skills? I feel bad for the experienced racers having to have us on the track…seems like a green student sneaking out in the red group....
Great report! Great program.

Don't sweat it! Glad to add another to the addiction!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-31-2015, 03:46 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My thought was I wanted to pass the class, and didn’t want to be the guy during debrief they asked, “So…what happened?” ....
That was me in "debrief" when I had the pole and got up to 90mph at the S/F line green flag. Oops. Should've been waved off, but they let us go in the interest of time. Total adrenaline thing with the speed just creeping up and up and it cost me as I ran out of gearing and the P2 car got by me. Since I will never be on pole for 1/2 a lifetime at least, I guess I cannot make that mistake again. It was fun as hell though, and I am not sure I can go back to DE's, trains and point bys again.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,488 Likes on 2,551 Posts

I did this school a few years ago, and my experience was similar to yours. It was one of the funnest things I ever did on track, and in two days I improved my overall driving ability more than I would have in 20+ DE days. A real bargain too, considering the amount of resources BMW CCA puts into it. I highly recommend it, even if someone isn't sure they want to race. And yes, during the 'simulated race', I was racing (or at least trying) and every other student I talked to was also.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
And yes, during the 'simulated race', I was racing (or at least trying) and every other student I talked to was also.
And that is the point of the exercise!

We started doing this in 1997 in the Southeast. It's a great curriculum and exercise set.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:55 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Lol...just watched the "I was Seventh!" video. They warned us about that. Classic....

As far as the SRE...I saw it as a final exam with some trick questions thrown in to make sure they wanted to be on the track with you. I was driving 8/10, and if I could have cleanly passed someone great, but I knew going in the odds of that happening in a Miata in a field of higher HP cars the chances were slim.

But is was funny (and fun) to me to see how amped up the group became before and after that drill...and yes...we were told we would have a longer debrief.

And going back to DE will be tough....
Old 08-31-2015, 05:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

And going back to DE will be tough....
Wasn't for me. I've raced for five years and still have a ton of fun at DE especially dicing it out with equally fast drivers in a fast and solid run group. I've also been bored at races, when/if there's no one to race with. Working on your lap-times is also fun whether racing or DE, when you're competing against yourself trying to find 1/10ths at various sections of the track.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1
Wasn't for me. I've raced for five years and still have a ton of fun at DE especially dicing it out with equally fast drivers in a fast and solid run group. I've also been bored at races, when/if there's no one to race with. Working on your lap-times is also fun whether racing or DE, when you're competing against yourself trying to find 1/10ths at various sections of the track.
Good point. It won't be tough like doing a root canal tough...more like having pie for dessert instead of chocolate cake.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Yep, if you have the right mindset & goals, you will find DE to still be lots of fun, and very good for your driving skills.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have only done a few W2W race events and I think the most rewarding thing (for me at least) was figuring out how to set up and execute a pass of a slightly slower driver, especially one that has more HP but less speed through corners. Sometimes its taken me 4 or 5 laps. Doing enduro's helps with the learning curve.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I have only done a few W2W race events and I think the most rewarding thing (for me at least) was figuring out how to set up and execute a pass of a slightly slower driver, especially one that has more HP but less speed through corners. Sometimes its taken me 4 or 5 laps. Doing enduro's helps with the learning curve.
Yes, that's a big part of racecraft which comes with experience. Timing your approach to a slower car to the exact point at a turn's exit where your faster exit speed advantage allows you to establish overlap which forces him to give you racing space into the next turn which minimizes the time lost due to the pass (for BOTH cars!). If your timing is wrong and you get to him too soon (before or inside the turn), you'll be forced to ease off hence lose your exit speed advantage.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

BMWCCA is a great program. They put it on every April at Mosport.

I recommend it to all my track buddies, whether they plan on racing or not.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Good point. It won't be tough like doing a root canal tough...more like having pie for dessert instead of chocolate cake.
Who says doing a root canal is tough? Now getting a lower molar numb, that can be tough. LOL
Old 09-01-2015, 01:11 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Who says doing a root canal is tough? Now getting a lower molar numb, that can be tough. LOL
Man, I love you guys....

Yep...gotta get this enduro thing going. I have a feeling I'll be clueless in spec Miata...but as long as I watch YouTube videos I'll be fine...right?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Dentist humor...

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH