Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Mike - what is your entry speed into 6? What is your exit speed? What is Dave's? I am at 91 slowing down to 71 per AIM data. I found that I could do what you said in Miata (i.e just a tap), but have to slow down with E46 M3. My car weighs 2950 with me. I would suspect your car may be tad lighter. But I think we should be able to carry similar speeds through with similar tires. I think I can carry more speed than I am though.

- Denis
Originally Posted by sierralima
Which tires are you on with those numbers? NT01s I managed 90 at least once (since Dave did it ;-)), but usually 88-89. I try to jab to full throttle between 5 and 6 depending on how settled the car is, but usually only manage 60-70% - I can usually only manage around 68 in 6, but my new Miata line and using the bowl to rotate may help with that.

I think my car is 3400-3600?
I think there is definitely more on the table. I've managed a 2:02.3 on NT-01s, but here is a lap from last weekend a tad bit slower.

Dislikes
  • Giving up entry speed in T1
  • Giving up speed between 5-6
  • Not on the gas soon enough in T6
  • Lifting way too much and too early in T7

• Decent trailbraking.

Data
  • 86 MPH max between T5 and T6
  • 70 MPH min at T6

First time mucking around with Racerender. Don't know if I like it yet, but it seemed to do okay. On top of that I had to fix an audio sync issue from the GoPro (Gawd I hate GoPro cameras , but what ya gonna do). This is on a set of "last weekend" NT01s. I haven't weighed this car yet, but I suspect it is under 3000lbs even with my svelte figure ensconced in the driver's seat.

Annotated Video TWS Sun Aug 16, 2015

I've got data on 1:56 laps on the car, but no video to go with them, so I'll have to dig into the TM SW and figure it out.

I've been guilty of using the TM as a lap timer. Just been so busy that figuring out TM just hasn't been a priority - that stuff is too much like my job and I hardly feel in the mood for it after a long work day. That said, I really need to because I want to go over this feedback at the track after the session rather than after the weekend.

-Mike

ETA: I wonder why the youtube link isn't embedding?
Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I think there is definitely more on the table. I've managed a 2:02.3 on NT-01s, but here is a lap from last weekend a tad bit slower.

Dislikes
  • Giving up entry speed in T1
  • Giving up speed between 5-6
  • Not on the gas soon enough in T6
  • Lifting way too much and too early in T7

• Decent trailbraking.

Data
  • 86 MPH max between T5 and T6
  • 70 MPH min at T6

First time mucking around with Racerender. Don't know if I like it yet, but it seemed to do okay. On top of that I had to fix an audio sync issue from the GoPro (Gawd I hate GoPro cameras , but what ya gonna do). This is on a set of "last weekend" NT01s. I haven't weighed this car yet, but I suspect it is under 3000lbs even with my svelte figure ensconced in the driver's seat.

Annotated Video TWS Sun Aug 16, 2015

I've got data on 1:56 laps on the car, but no video to go with them, so I'll have to dig into the TM SW and figure it out.

I've been guilty of using the TM as a lap timer. Just been so busy that figuring out TM just hasn't been a priority - that stuff is too much like my job and I hardly feel in the mood for it after a long work day. That said, I really need to because I want to go over this feedback at the track after the session rather than after the weekend.

-Mike

ETA: I wonder why the youtube link isn't embedding?
Mike - thanks for sharing video. Looks like I can definitely work on carrying more speed through 6. I also need to drive more relaxed like you. Here's my fastest lap from last weekend. I was on Hankook Z214's with C51. About 10+ heat cycles.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh…it makes me feel good to know engineers aren’t crazy about all this data analysis and how the f*^k does this thing work stuff (all I kept thinking was gawd I’d rather be pulling teeth)….

I have TM and GP in Miata vs AiM and SmartyCam in M3.

I want to go back and verify, but I spent this week adding to my excel spreadsheet the turn MPH data me vs Lally in the Miata. I have me vs Dave in the M3 and I have to say it is interesting comparing the different speeds through turns car to car (and driver to driver).

I wonder if it helps me not being analytical (and having relatively higher risk tolerance). When I’m driving I’m focusing on the feel of am I at the limit (and I get someone with more skills is going to get to the limit at a higher speed)…the drawback I think is I’m so busy as I approach a turn trying to stay at close to the limit I’m not planning my exit, and have to overslow the car losing exit speed. The Miata is punishing me more for this and I noticed I started thinking “need to get back on throttle ASAP!” before turn in this last weekend.

The turn I found interesting was 1-2. I hadn’t been paying attention, but came around apex of 2 and the Miata felt great and I thought this feels faster than M3. I looked down and I was doing 86. In the M3 Dave did 80, I’m usually doing 78-79 w/ the back end starting to come around (although we’ve raised the back end since Dave drove and I don’t think it is as balanced). Apparently I psyched myself out, because then I started watching the speed through there and managed an 85, but mostly 84…speeds decreased to 82 depending on steering input scrubbing speed. Lally was doing 84 through there.

He is exiting quite a few turns much faster than I am, though, and is kicking my butt through 8-9….

Ugh…here is some video of some 1:56 laps on NT01s I posted from Jan. I’ve improved a bunch of things since then…corner speeds, not coasting into turn 1, but haven’t broken into 1:55s. I have to wonder how much the suspension changes affected that….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZNA6fs7b48

PS Yes I'd love to analyze my data between sessions...but it is more fun to talk to people....
Old 08-21-2015, 12:21 PM
sierralima
Instructor

PS So TM your lap times have dropped significantly last few months - any thoughts as to what spurred the improvements? Solid driving, BTW. ;-)
Old 08-21-2015, 12:25 PM
gincharl
Track Day

how dose one ad a new post?????
Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

PS So TM your lap times have dropped significantly last few months - any thoughts as to what spurred the improvements? Solid driving, BTW. ;-)
lighter car, cheater tires, knowing that others have done it. Looking at data and seeing spots where you can pick up an MPH or 2.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Ahhh…it makes me feel good to know engineers aren’t crazy about all this data analysis and how the f*^k does this thing work stuff (all I kept thinking was gawd I’d rather be pulling teeth)….

I have TM and GP in Miata vs AiM and SmartyCam in M3.
I use the very same skill set for track data analysis that I use to earn the funds for life and this track habit. Going to the track is an escape, analyzing data, not so much.

The SmartyCam is slick, as the Racerender after the fact is kind of a pain in the butt. I'd get a SmartyCam if they weren't so proud of it.

The turn I found interesting was 1-2. I hadn’t been paying attention, but came around apex of 2 and the Miata felt great and I thought this feels faster than M3. I looked down and I was doing 86. In the M3 Dave did 80, I’m usually doing 78-79 w/ the back end starting to come around (although we’ve raised the back end since Dave drove and I don’t think it is as balanced).
PS Yes I'd love to analyze my data between sessions...but it is more fun to talk to people....
Yes, Miatas can haul *** around 1-2. How do you think they can run below two minutes when the front stretch speed might be 110 with a tail wind?

I like the social aspects of the paddock as well. If you are running your sessions and instructing with two students it makes for a busy day. I believe the key to between session data is to develop a process that is as efficient as possible - it really has to be fast and simple to be useful. It looks like the Smartycam shines here.

Thanks for your video as well as TM for his. A couple things I could tell is my T5-T6 really isn't that bad compared with your guys. My T1 entry speed is way too low. Both of you are at 130+ and I'm down in the low 120s on the same tires in a car with Motons and Hand of God brakes.

Now back to that data analysis I'm being paid to do...

-Mike
Old 08-21-2015, 02:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
believe the key to between session data is to develop a process that is as efficient as possible - it really has to be fast and simple to be useful. It looks like the Smartycam shines here.
I have yet to analyze any data after sessions (off line). The physical feedback I receive through my eyes, hands, and body is impossible to translate into data, which is also why I s*ck at driving simulators. What I've found extremely useful is using the AiM Solo predictive mode (in +/- off best lap mode setting) in REAL-TIME. I've had the most fun and lap-time improvement at fairly new (to me) tracks and getting instant feedback from the Solo when exploring different lines, looking for grip, varying the timing and application of brake/throttle in turns. When you get -0.20sec improvement out of a turn, try to memorize the feedbacks your eyes, hands, feet, and butt received and store them under ("this how taking this turn well feels like") and try to repeat what you just did or keep searching for even more time there. If the Solo flashes -0.40sec, oh my, you've just hit a goldmine!
Old 08-21-2015, 03:13 PM
sierralima
Instructor

I need someone to show me how to set to predictive laps when we are at the track. Between the camera and DAS I’m thrilled if I can get the f&*^ers running at grid and am scared to try pushing any other buttons….

If you need comic relief here is how I determined how late I could brake in turn 1-2.

This was same day as last video. Jacy is telling me I can brake later in 1-2. Here I’m thinking hell yeah, I got this!

https://youtu.be/VzTOW7d5WkY

2 hours later I’m thinking maybe that off was a fluke. You can see me start to lift early…then decide, hell yeah, I got this!

https://youtu.be/hn5FkBUC1QQ
Old 08-21-2015, 03:39 PM
TXE36
Drifting

I need someone to show me how to set to predictive laps when we are at the track. Between the camera and DAS I’m thrilled if I can get the f&*^ers running at grid and am scared to try pushing any other buttons….

If you need comic relief here is how I determined how late I could brake in turn 1-2.

This was same day as last video. Jacy is telling me I can brake later in 1-2. Here I’m thinking hell yeah, I got this!

https://youtu.be/VzTOW7d5WkY

2 hours later I’m thinking maybe that off was a fluke. You can see me start to lift early…then decide, hell yeah, I got this!

https://youtu.be/hn5FkBUC1QQ
(Mr. Rogers voice) Today's word is understeer. Can you say understeer?

What the hell are you doing listening to Ricky Bobby?!?

Seriously though, Jacy is a great instructor/coach and I will likely be doing the same thing next month at TWS based on our discussion. At least your vid shows me what's over there. Grass is a racing surface.

-Mike
Old 08-21-2015, 03:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I've been tracking since 2006 (racing since 2009) and have yet to buy a camera though I may be close to finally getting one. A proponent of simple is beautiful, I guess. There IS such a thing as too much data/complexity for your own good. Btw, I've won races so not speaking from complete ignorance.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:48 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
I've been tracking since 2006 (racing since 2009) and have yet to buy a camera though I may be close to finally getting one. A proponent of simple is beautiful, I guess. There IS such a thing as too much data/complexity for your own good. Btw, I've won races so not speaking from complete ignorance.
The primary reason I have a camera is for when I eff things up. My track incident memory is awful.

Before I had data, I also used the camera for lap times. A video camera with a microphone on the trunk is a decent poor man's data system. The mic will pick up if you are on the gas and lap times can be extracted from the video (although it is tedious).

-Mike
Old 08-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The faster you get the less you will use late apexes..... ?? I'm not so sure. The sooner you can unwind the wheel the sooner you can put the power down I feel. Any turn that you go into that the car pushes-you went in too fast I believe.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 830 Posts

Dennis, nice tidy lap!

Shift up to 4th after T4 and then back down to 3rd again at T6. You'll pick up some time in the 5-6 section by being more comfortable using more throttle for more real estate...

Use a lot more of the T9 apex curbing...

Shift up to 4th before T12 for the same reason as before T5...
Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dennis, nice tidy lap!

Shift up to 4th after T4 and then back down to 3rd again at T6. You'll pick up some time in the 5-6 section by being more comfortable using more throttle for more real estate...

Use a lot more of the T9 apex curbing...

Shift up to 4th before T12 for the same reason as before T5...
Thanks Dave. I will definitely work on that next time I am out there

I did try to work the rest of that day getting more inside on 9. I am assuming that once I get that right I can get to full throttle at the apex and charge down the hill.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH